Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Mitama
Feb 28, 2011

I'm gonna fill this post with Lu Xun a completely original wuxia man when I get home.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mitama
Feb 28, 2011

Xu Lei

High Concept: Carpenter on a Crusade

It's hard for folks to carry an honest trade when dishonest people always come to take advantage of them. Lei's seen gangs of bandits extort his small town time and time again, men and women who push their weight under the shadow of a lawless Empire. He's seen houses, statues and fortifications tumble down in their violent displays of power, works of craftsmanship his father (and master) built to last the ages. He's been beaten down so many times trying to protect his village, his friends and his father's works. But no matter how much he stands defiant, he can't seem to do anything against these thugs. He's only a craftsman, after all.

A few years back, an old vagrant happened to be around. And when those same bandits tried to beat up the man for kicks, well, they forgot the most important part of heroic stories. Never underestimate the old man. Lei watched the Kung Fu Master Long thrash those guys back to their mountain homes. And he really wanted to learn from him. Really, really wanted to learn. The old man didn't even want to hear of taking in another apprentice, but Lei chased him through the rooftop, then a construction site, where he frantically tried to pin him using the site's tools and scaffolding. Maybe after taking three dozen bamboo poles on the head, Master Long realized that he needed to do something before this crazy carpenter brought a house down on him.

Lei took his first step into the Jianghu that day, and trained under the Wooden Monkey style ever since. Lately, he considered that hey, a lot of people there were a lot like him, just honest men and women who needed someone to back them when they're down. He wanted to be that someone. And well, if he could make himself a really cool legend in the process, that would be something, wouldn't it? Master Long just swished his beard and dismissed his dreams with a "HA!", but allowed him to journey nonetheless. He wanted to see how this lowly carpenter could change the world with kung fu.

Trouble: Hard Luck Hero

The life of a wandering hero ain't easy. Money never seems to come by easily for Lei, or stick with him for long if it does. No one really recognizes the heroic side of his exploits and sometimes his zeal for justice makes him look as much as a troublemaker as the rest. But what can he do? Stand ignorant to injustice? No. Lei's just got to keep pushing on and do the right thing. Someone is bound to remember his deeds remember his deeds when it's all over. He's sure the Bodhisattva will, at least.

Aspect: Master Long says: "Work with humility and diligence."

It's a lesson that the old man's drilling into his head all these years...

Aspect: I say: "If you're gonna do it, do it with flair."

...but humility and diligence alone won't make him a hero, right?

Aspect: (Second) Finest Craftsman in the Jianghu

With a strong body, an eye for detail and an appreciation of form, Lei adopts Kung Fu really well into the carpentry work he's been doing all this time. Much to his surprise though, there is another warrior in the martial arts world far superior as a crafter with deadly martial arts to boot. He looks forward to facing this great craftsman, another milestone to overcome as Master Long is. Whether through the contest of building towers, crafting mazes or folding papers, Lei strives to improve himself and make himself a worthy challenger to that lofty throne.

Skills
+4 Crafts
+3 Chi, Athletics
+2 Fight, Rapport, Physique
+1 Will, Notice, Investigate, Contacts

Kung Fu Style - Wooden (Forest) Monkey
Leaves Like Razors: When invoking a situation aspect or environment-based advantage in a Fight attack, add +2 Weapon Rating to that attack.
Monkey Grabs the Peach: Add +2 Weapon Rating to an attack where you also invoke a consequence the defender has.
Monkey Rolls Away: When invoking an aspect or advantage during a defense roll, gain 2 Armor Rating against the attack if it succeeds.

Stunts
Scaffolding Kung-Fu: Lei can use Crafts instead of Fight to create advantages while in the presence of rooftop tiles, scaffolding and other construction materials.
Impromptu Diversions: When Lei creates an advantage with Crafts by laying down obstacles, obstructions or (really simple) puzzles in a path, anyone who wishes to overcome it must actively roll against his Crafts skill, even if he's not around.
Craftsman of the People: When Lei succeeds with style on an overcome action to build or repair something, instead of a boost he can create a situation aspect representing a helpful person impressed with his work.

Refresh: 2

Mitama fucked around with this message at 05:26 on Feb 12, 2014

Mitama
Feb 28, 2011

Organization - The Hands of the Earth
Aspects: Society of the Masses, Power to the People!, An End to Emperors

The Hands of the Earth are a populist movement growing in force and number ever since the former Emperor's demise. They're made of the disfranchised, the farmers, craftsmen and merchants suffering under the yoke of the Minister's cruelty and taxation. They claim to enforce the right to overthrow their ruler as it is in the Mandate of Heaven, but also believe Heaven's Blessing doesn't belong to any single person and wish to abolish the throne altogether. They do not have many martial artists on their side, though they make up for it in sheer numbers, dedication and violence.

Stone-Leaping Yuan
Aspects: Stone Hand of the Earth, Most Wanted Dashing Swordsman

The Hands don't have a single unifying leader, though Stone-Leaping Yuan may as well be the loudest voice in the pack. An accomplished swordsman and orator, Yuan has incited many rebellions all across the Empire, luring the masses into the philosophy of the Hands. He has eluded Imperial forces time and time again as well, his speed and ability his assets thanks to his Stone's Leap style. No one really knows what his originsstr; rumors range from a man seeking revenge for his family, a rabble rouser from the North, or even an illegitimate son of the Emperor carving his own path. All that really matters is that he hates the Empire and will stop at nothing to tear down the throne.

Mitama fucked around with this message at 05:40 on Feb 12, 2014

Mitama
Feb 28, 2011

Thanks. I dropped my Iron Monkey style and renamed my remaining style as the Wooden Monkey as appropriate.

Mitama
Feb 28, 2011

xu lei is too honest a man to have rrrrrivalssss

I think at this point, I'm going to need help on this one. :(

Mitama
Feb 28, 2011

okay

Chunhua

Chunhua's mother once served under the Imperial Army, and taught her daughter a thing or two about defending herself. As it turned out, the young girl needed her those kung-fu skills less for herself and more for her childhood friend who kept picking fights with bandits who terrorized their village. She kept him from the worst of those beatdowns, always lecturing him hard over that his bravado alone won't protect everyone he cares for.

After all, Xu Lei shouldn't throw himself to his death when certain people care about him a lot lot lot and want him to commit to his promise about marrying her when they're older. After Chunhua saved him from another fight, he once said that if they ever got together, she would probably end up as the provider while he stayed at home taking care of the house and kids. He sort of said that with a laugh and a goofy grin. She didn't see it as a joke.

And now? Now, he's trained in some kung-fu of his own and went on a quest to change the world or something. What was wrong with staying put? They could just stay together and protect the village now. Most importantly, he forgot his promise.

She's gone after him since. To set him straight. And totally get married.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mitama
Feb 28, 2011

Can I spend a Fate Point to say that I totally made some sort of trap in advance? (Mostly so I can roll Crafts and use my Impromptu Diversions stunt. :) )

• Locked thread