Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Comrade Gorbash
Jul 12, 2011

My paper soldiers form a wall, five paces thick and twice as tall.
The Empire is in danger. The Emperor is dead, and his young heir is a puppet of the scheming Minister of the Right. The Minister of the Left gathers forces to oppose the Minister of the Right - but none know whether it is to defend the throne or seize it, or to carve out a new kingdom from it. The Emperor had another, older child, the true heir - who went missing five years ago while commanding a military expedition.

The champions of the downtrodden are restless, and demand reform. And there are those who desire an end to Emperors entirely. Meanwhile, rumors abound that a secret society seeks to restore the former dynasty. These internal concerns may all be dwarfed though, for the Northern barbarians are on the move.

This age needs heroes. It needs you. But who shall you side with? What will you make of your destiny?

Do you want to be a badass kung fu master who takes on the greatest threats the Empire has ever known with a handful of equally skilled warriors?

Of course you do. What you'll need, then, is to make a character using the rules for Tianxia. Tianxia is a FATE Core powered game of kung fu fantasy and epic wuxia. You will need the PDF of the game or to work with someone who has it.

This game will tend towards the high adventure and action movie approach - a little more pulp and a little less operatic in tone. The martial arts are going to lean towards the more fantastic as well.

A slot has been reserved for Ridley since he convinced me to run this. I will be looking for four to five additional players.

We'll also be looking to flesh out the setting a bit. In addition to your character application, I'd like you to come up with an organization or location of importance in the Empire, and a face for it. Each should have at least one aspect, but not more than three.

Additional Rules
  • Interesting Times (Tianxia): Once per session, you can take the additional Mild consequence Interesting Times to either reduce two stress or gain a Fate point. This is a narrative consequence that gives me a free invoke to use against you. It lasts until the end of the session. What makes it different from usual consequences is that you won't know what it actually is until I reveal it at an opportune moment.

• Weapon & Armor Dice (Fate Toolkit): Also referred to as Red and Blue dice. Weapons and armor get a rating of 1-4. When you attack with a weapon, you roll its rating in Weapon (Red) dice (we'll figure out how to do this with dice rolling tools). If your attack succeeds or ties, every + on a Red die adds 1 shift to the damage dealt. When you defend with armor, you roll its rating in Armor (Blue) dice. For every + on a Blue die on a failed defense, you reduce the damage taken by 1 shift. Keep in mind that getting Weapon or Armor rating in Tianxia comes from stunts.

• Collateral Consequences (Fate Toolkit, modified): In addition to your usual complement of consequences, you can also make use of three communal consequences, one of each degree of severity. These represent damage to the environment or new complications in the story, such as Injured Bystanders or Anti-Wuxia Hysteria. You can effectively use them to offload harm from yourselves onto the world around you. A collateral consequence can be cleared just like a regular one, using an overcome action with whatever skill seems most appropriate, with a few minor differences. First, Minor collateral consequences are immediately cleared with no renaming. Moderate collateral consequences are renamed, but cleared from the consequence slot after one scene (though the renamed aspect stays in effect for that area until a session has passed). Severe collateral consequences are also renamed and clear from the consequence slot after a session (though the renamed aspect stays in effect for that area until the end of the next adventure). However, if a Severe collateral consequence has not begun recovery before the end of the adventure, it is cleared from the slot but becomes a permanent aspect of that area (unless you undertake a major effort to fix it) and could potentially become a threat.

• Society Aspects (Custom): The party as a whole will form a wuxia Society to represent your teamwork. It will have a High Concept, a Trouble, and one other Aspect. An individual player can invoke these by spending a Fate Point as normal, as long as one other member of the Society is present in the scene. Players cannot choose to Compel a Society aspect themselves, however - only I can. But when I do, everyone in the Society gets a Fate Point, so you've got that going for you. As the game progresses, the Society will improve - you can potentially add NPCs to it, and earn Stunt slots on it for sweet combos or special styles for the group.

If you want to talk about character ideas or whatever, check out #Jianghu on Synirc.

Recruit will be open until midnight Eastern time on February 10th.

Comrade Gorbash fucked around with this message at 22:12 on Feb 7, 2014

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Comrade Gorbash
Jul 12, 2011

Looking forward to that Cirno.

Also I have Friday off this week so tomorrow night and all day Friday I will be available to help build stuff or answer questions.

Comrade Gorbash
Jul 12, 2011

I was talking about this on IRC, so I'll mention it here and add it to the OP.

We're using the following optional rules - and I may throw in a few more.

• Interesting Times (Tianxia): Once per session, you can take the additional Mild consequence Interesting Times to either reduce two stress or gain a Fate point. This is a narrative consequence that gives me a free invoke to use against you. It lasts until the end of the session. What makes it different from usual consequences is that you won't know what it actually is until I reveal it at an opportune moment.

• Weapon & Armor Dice (Fate Toolkit): Also referred to as Red and Blue dice. Weapons and armor get a rating of 1-4. When you attack with a weapon, you roll its rating in Weapon (Red) dice (we'll figure out how to do this with dice rolling tools). If your attack succeeds or ties, every + on a Red die adds 1 shift to the damage dealt. When you defend with armor, you roll its rating in Armor (Blue) dice. For every + on a Blue die on a failed defense, you reduce the damage taken by 1 shift. Keep in mind that getting Weapon or Armor rating in Tianxia comes from stunts.

• Collateral Consequences (Fate Toolkit, modified): In addition to your usual complement of consequences, you can also make use of three communal consequences, one of each degree of severity. These represent damage to the environment or new complications in the story, such as Injured Bystanders or Anti-Wuxia Hysteria. You can effectively use them to offload harm from yourselves onto the world around you. A collateral consequence can be cleared just like a regular one, using an overcome action with whatever skill seems most appropriate, with a few minor differences. First, Minor collateral consequences are immediately cleared with no renaming. Moderate collateral consequences are renamed, but cleared from the consequence slot after one scene (though the renamed aspect stays in effect for that area until a session has passed). Severe collateral consequences are also renamed and clear from the consequence slot after a session (though the renamed aspect stays in effect for that area until the end of the next adventure). However, if a Severe collateral consequence has not begun recovery before the end of the adventure, it is cleared from the slot but becomes a permanent aspect of that area (unless you undertake a major effort to fix it) and could potentially become a threat.

• Society Aspects (Custom): The party as a whole will form a wuxia Society to represent your teamwork. It will have a High Concept, a Trouble, and one other Aspect. An individual player can invoke these by spending a Fate Point as normal, as long as one other member of the Society is present in the scene. Players cannot choose to Compel a Society aspect themselves, however - only I can. But when I do, everyone in the Society gets a Fate Point, so you've got that going for you. As the game progresses, the Society will improve - you can potentially add NPCs to it, and earn Stunt slots on it for sweet combos or special styles for the group.

Edit: Reflected on weapons a bit and decided to go with the Tianxia core version rather than add a whole bunch of explanation for it.

Comrade Gorbash fucked around with this message at 02:46 on Feb 7, 2014

Comrade Gorbash
Jul 12, 2011

By the way we're hanging out in #Jianghu on Synirc.

Comrade Gorbash
Jul 12, 2011

Okay, so here's the deal. If you have something up by deadline tonight, I'll give you some more time to complete it and put up some reactions and so forth. Don't forget you need a place/organization and a face as well.

And by something, I mean more than just an interest post or a name.

Comrade Gorbash
Jul 12, 2011

Gonna go ahead and close to new apps! If you have something up you can continue to work on it. I will be making selections at the end of the week. I'll try to do some critiques or questions or what not during the week.

Comrade Gorbash
Jul 12, 2011

spectator posted:

Ahh! Totally misunderstood "midnight on the 10th." Oh well, good luck with the game!

I kind of played loose with that deadline, so you can throw up an app as the last one in.

Gonna try to have some responses for you guys today.

Comrade Gorbash
Jul 12, 2011

As promised, reactions and suggestions! Don't forget to hit up #Jianghu if you have questions or need advice.

I mention it in a few responses here, but starting with 1 Refresh is chancy and to be honest even with awesome kung fu not as fun as you'd think. Since it came up a few times, I'll go ahead and say that advancement will probably be a little quicker than in a standard FATE game. I'll be handing out things like extra techniques and rewards that effectively grant you stunts as part of that development, so don't feel like you have to grab all the kung fu now since it won't improve for ages and ages.

Now, on to the responses!

Beautiful Doctor Zhang (ProfessorCirno)
This is just what I'm looking for. The new stunts are much better and pitch perfect for the genre. I love the aspects and what you're putting together. I would like to see a little more background, just a specific incident from his past. Doesn't need to be longer than 2-3 sentences even.

I do still need a organization or place and a face from you though.

Perspicacious Lin of the Dancing Crane (Dynamics)
I like the concept and we've spoken a bit about what you're aiming for. I'd like you expand it a bit in her background and aspects. We talked over the stunts and they look solid. The aspects might be a little narrow as they're currently worded. I think if you provide some example invokes/compels it would help.

Your location/face is solid. It's short, but the aspects are very evocative so I'm pretty much set for using them.

Xu Lei (TurninTrix)
Another strong entry! The building idea is a great genre idea and your stunts set it up nicely. The background covers what I need, and the aspect set sells it, and I like the interaction you have with them. My only suggestion is that starting with one Refresh is a bit risky. You'll be getting a lot of compels, so just be prepared for that. I don't really have any further suggestions or questions.

Your organization is spot on. Just what I'm looking for in an organization.

Ven Hao, the Blue Fox (Dareon)
I love this concept, your stunts are great and really evocative, and the aspects are spot on. I just need more background! I would suggest expanding your aspects a little. Rather than the standard "here's what this aspect means" since they come across so well as they are, maybe give a few lines describing an incident that illustrates each?

Your organization and face are fantastic. I'd like to see another aspect on the Court of Jade but only because I like it so much, not because I actually need one.

Zhu Qiang (Velyoukai)
Having a wise old man with powerful kung fu is a classic genre character, and I like your take on the background. Your aspects are good, and the example invoke/compels are nice. Again, I am a little worried about the 1 Refresh. You will need a lot of compels I think. Your stunts are improving but the first one in particular still isn't quite there. My suggestion would be to check out other recent FATE game recruits and see if there's any stunt ideas you like to play off of.

I like the location for story reasons, but I need an aspect for it. I would like a little more about the face, and I need an aspect for her too. Conceptually she's good but I don't know what she does, just what she is, at the moment. It's also a little tricky to use more than once. You might be better off with something that will come up more often.

Xun Xun (Decus)
Kung fu pirate! Another solid entry. Conceptually it's really good, and for the most part the aspects and stunts are nice. The last aspect - A Dagger for Every Occasion - might be better as a stunt. And I'm not clear on what the second stunt is supposed to actually do. The Interesting Times extra rule actually gives you a second special Minor consequence.

I like your face, but the location is a little too vague at the moment. You can do a pretty large area as a location, so having a mountainous region with a hidden treasure would work, it just needs to be a little more clearly defined as a place. Your Face is good, but needs an aspect. Maybe something to highlight her personality a little more?

Lin Ling (Desty)
I like the concept you have going here, but right now it's a little lacking. Your background is a little scatter-shot and I'm having trouble following the narrative. I think you just need to expand it and fill in some blanks. Your stunts are, frankly, really bland. Heart's Edge is fine since it's character defining, but Keen Eye is pretty blah. +2 stunts are dull, and its very generic and doesn't improve the character's flavor much. Foresight I'm not sure how it's supposed to work. It should be defined in FATE terms a little more explicitly. Perhaps once per scene you can steal an aspect an opponent places - you get the free invoke instead of them, and add an additional invoke onto it. It's a good start but I need more.

I think you sort of missed on the place/organization and a face part. I'm not sure if you mean Southern Warlord Ng to be your face, and who the organization is here. The mercenaries? His forces? I think you have a good idea here, it just isn't presented clearly or the way I'm looking for yet.

Vivacious Yue (Zero Suit Ridley)
We've been talking about your character for a while, so I know more than is up so far! The aspects are coming together and the stunts are good. I think you're in very good shape.

I'd like to know more about the Waxing Moon Troupe and Smiling Shou. The aspects for both are excellent and cover a lot of ground in themselves, but flesh them out a little more. Make them unique. What is it that makes it impossible to mistake them for some lesser troupe?

Irresponsible Hu (Ettin)
All right, a nice simple concept well executed. Your aspects do a good job of covering background already, and have clear invoke/compels even without examples. The concept is nice and straightforward so it doesn't need a lot more. As with Ven Hao, though, a little bit extra would go a long way. I would have the same suggestion, having little example incidents to show how his aspects come into play would work. Maybe 2-3 sentences each at most. Your stunts are well named and well designed. Bar Fight Veteran should give him Weapon 1 until he invokes the boost, I think.

Again, I need a place or organization and a face!

Centipede Hong (K Prime)
The toad style is immensely strong and immune to nearly any weapon. You've got a solid concept going here and pretty strong background and aspects. Again, one of your aspects - Hundred-Arm Speed - might be better as a stunt. Some example invokes/compels for it might help. The other aspects are clear enough as is. Your stunts are pretty good but I think we should work on clarifying the wording a little. I think I understand how they would work in play and I like what they do - declarative stunts like God-Speed Fists are underused, so it's nice to see a well done one.

Your organization and face are great. The aspects are well named and flesh out the description nicely. Spot on here.

Shu Li (spectator)
Conceptually solid. It sounds like you're going for a sort of FBI agent or marshal type character. I'd suggest cleaning up the background at the start to be more flavorful. It's a good rundown of the concept, but to be honest I think it doesn't sell the character well. It took me a few reads and the aspects to really get a feel for what you were heading for conceptually. I don't think you need specific incidents for each aspect like Blue Fox or Irresponsible Hu, but maybe as your background write out a little fiction that is evocative of Shu Li? You've got good aspects in general and I like your stunts. Also you should give Shu Li a cool nickname.

Your organization and Face are excellent. I do get the reference, but its perfect for the genre and something I would have needed if you hadn't made it. Good job.

Everyone
HOLY CRAP YOU GUYS. This is an amazing collection of characters to choose from already. I've got nine great ideas here and it's going to be hard to pick even if I had to do it right now. Including some of the above suggestions is going to make it even harder, but frankly that's actually a good thing.

Thanks for providing such good stuff to work with! I'm already getting more story ideas just reading these over.

Comrade Gorbash fucked around with this message at 05:30 on Feb 12, 2014

Comrade Gorbash
Jul 12, 2011

If you make changes to your character based on the responses, please post to the thread so I don't miss them!

Comrade Gorbash
Jul 12, 2011

By the way, I am planning on making selections this coming Sunday morning so I can have the OP up on Monday at the latest, since I have the day off. So you have until about 9am Eastern on Sunday Feb 16 before I close things out to make picks!

As a note, at this point everyone's characters are done enough that I would consider them for selection. Addressing the suggestions earlier will improve your chances of being picked though.

Also, does anyone not want their place/organization used if they do not get in? I do not mind if this is the case and it will not be part of considerations for selections. I would like to use the ideas to flesh out the game, but I also understand if you would rather not have it be used if you don't get in.

Comrade Gorbash
Jul 12, 2011

I just got home after spending last night at a hotel (that my job put me up at) due to the weather, and had to dig out some when I got here as well. Plus I have some games tonight. I'll review additions and updates and provide some feedback later tonight.

Comrade Gorbash
Jul 12, 2011

I think we may have hit on something workable! Responses to new stuff in no particular order.

Desty
That's exactly what I was looking for! The stunts do still need some work, but more in the sense of codifying them for FATE rules more clearly. As a starting point for what they do, though, that's a solid improvement.

Cirno
That's excellent.

spectator
Just what I needed for this. I have a much better idea of who Shu Li is now, and overall its a lot more flavorful character. The first nickname I came up with was Dogged Li, but that might be a little too much.

I think I've talked to everyone else about what they've updated, and things have been improving from an already high point. You guys aren't making this easy on me - thanks!

Comrade Gorbash
Jul 12, 2011

All right, so the time has come! It was really difficult to settle on a group, but those who will be seeking the Mandate of Heaven are...

Vivacious Yue (Ridley)
Beautiful Doctor Zhang (Professor Cirno)
Shu Li (spectator)
Xu Lei (TurninTrix)
Zhu Qiang (Velyoukai)
Centipede Hong (K Prime)

Making choices was incredibly difficult, I wish I could have taken everyone. In any case, the IC thread will be going up tomorrow. In the meantime (and this doesn't need to be done before the game starts, we can work on it throughout), I'd like you to start discussing the Society. You haven't formed it yet, the group will be pulled together as a team early on in the adventure, but it's good to start thinking about it.

Also, I would like each of you to tell your impressions of the other PCs. You all know of each other as members of Jianghu. I don't need more than a sentence or two - and honestly I would prefer no more than a paragraph at most - for each person.

Lastly, for you six I need you to come up with one more piece of flavor. Who is your rival? This doesn't need to be a villain, but its someone who you haven't come up with yet who you compete against regularly. They should be a member of the Jianghu, another martial artist.

Comrade Gorbash
Jul 12, 2011

:siren: IC thread is up! :siren:

Comrade Gorbash fucked around with this message at 00:26 on Feb 20, 2014

Comrade Gorbash
Jul 12, 2011

By the way you can start posting to the :siren:IC thread:siren: before you do the impressions/rival!

Comrade Gorbash
Jul 12, 2011

Hey I never got a rival for Xu Lei!

Comrade Gorbash
Jul 12, 2011

Hey Velyoukai, waiting on you for this init block.

Comrade Gorbash
Jul 12, 2011

Just as an FYI, I'm going on vacation starting tomorrow (May 24th) until Wednesday (May 28th). I'll have some internet access but posting will be limited.

Comrade Gorbash
Jul 12, 2011

I'll be posting tomorrow evening regardless, so Professor Cirno and Valyoukai have til then to make their posts! Don't forget you're on the spot to provide a fact, Velyoukai.

Comrade Gorbash
Jul 12, 2011

Sure. Also I realized I forgot an option, you can invoke your horse for a +3, but you lose it if you do so.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Comrade Gorbash
Jul 12, 2011

Spectator I'm going to move on tomorrow evening regardless. Please try to post by then.

If you need to take a break or are tied up please let me know.

• Locked thread