Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
cerror
Feb 11, 2008

I have a bad feeling about this...
Hey cold weather buddy. Are all the men in Siberia hairy, burly, hunters who enjoy saunas?

Are you at all concerned about the fact that meteorites seem to have a bizarre attraction to Siberia?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

cerror
Feb 11, 2008

This thread has been very informative, thank you.

I used to live with a friend who had learned to speak Russian for his job. He worked as a radio operator listening to Russian military communications (we live in Alaska, so it's very close to the Russian far-East). Anyway, to help practice and learn more, he'd bring home DVDs of Russian movies and we'd watch them without subtitles. I can't speak Russian at all, aside from a few words, so I had no idea what was happening in the movies, but my friend thought it was a good way to learn more of the language.

Maybe that could be a fun way to learn English as well. :v:

cerror
Feb 11, 2008

I am a radio technician in my state, so I sometimes have to work with our geologists to support communications for their field operations in remote areas. As a geologist, do you have to do much work in remote places? We provide our geologist teams with handheld radios, as well as portable radio repeaters and battery banks, with portable solar panel arrays to power them. Do geologists working in the Siberian wilderness get similar equipment?

cerror
Feb 11, 2008

utjkju posted:

I had read about Chinook winds and that it is very warm winds. Is it truth? Also i had read that Chinook winds raise temperature by +20 degrees in winter. If it is truth, that it is amazing.

This happened to us in southern Alaska this winter. In December and January the temperature during the day was around 5 C and all the snow melted. I am not a meteorologist, but I believe this has to do with air pressure differences between the Pacific region and the Arctic region. Normally, it is much colder than that. :v:

cerror
Feb 11, 2008

I just returned from a business trip to Wrangell, where I had seen a building that had the flags of the 3 nations that have controlled the island in the past and present. Over there on the left is the flag of the Russian-American Company. Do students in Siberia, and in the rest of Russia for that matter, learn about the Russian colonization of North America?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

cerror
Feb 11, 2008

Pick posted:

Sorry if this seems jingoistic (it is not meant that way), but does Russia ever admit in history that it was a mistake to sell Alaska?

It's a funny story, Americans were angry that the government of the USA bought Alaska for a long time. It was called "Seward's Folly" (that is, "Mr. Seward's mistake") for decades.

I'm sure utjkju will have better information, but it is my understanding that after the Crimean War, Russia was concerned that it could not defend its colonies in Alaska should they ever go to war with Britain again, due to their proximity to British Canada, and that it was better to sell the land than to risk losing it entirely.

• Locked thread