Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Med School
Feb 27, 2012

Where did you learn how to do that?
The story of Starcraft 1 may not be worth sitting through the game to experience...that doesn't mean I haven't dragged myself through it 15+ times. I can't explain it. Sometimes you just get that Starcraft 1 urge...

...before you know it you are tearing your house apart looking for an old disc and an old cd key. Then I learned to just keep the drat game installed, because the craving will come again...

Same thing happens with Warcraft 2 at least once a year. My computers not really good enough for Warcraft 3 or I would play that one through over and over also.

Warcraft 1 though....gently caress that.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Arcsech
Aug 5, 2008

MentholsNBeer posted:

The story of Starcraft 1 may not be worth sitting through the game to experience...that doesn't mean I haven't dragged myself through it 15+ times. I can't explain it. Sometimes you just get that Starcraft 1 urge...

...before you know it you are tearing your house apart looking for an old disc and an old cd key. Then I learned to just keep the drat game installed, because the craving will come again...

Same thing happens with Warcraft 2 at least once a year. My computers not really good enough for Warcraft 3 or I would play that one through over and over also.

Warcraft 1 though....gently caress that.

You can put your CD keys into Battle.net and it will let you download the installer any time. Then you can throw away/lose/frame and mount/whatever your old Blizzard CDs.

Also, not having a computer good enough for WC3 is kind of sad. I played WC3 on an Intel Pentium somethingorother with 512MB of RAM and a GeForce 5200.

Arcsech fucked around with this message at 20:47 on Feb 4, 2014

Med School
Feb 27, 2012

Where did you learn how to do that?

Arcsech posted:

You can put your CD keys into Battle.net and it will let you download the installer any time. Then you can throw away/lose/frame and mount/whatever your old Blizzard CDs.

Also, not having a computer good enough for WC3 is kind of sad. I played WC3 on an Intel Pentium somethingorother with 512MB of RAM and a GeForce 5200.

Yea, to be honest my technological life has been sad for a while. When some of my friends bought their first 360s they would come over to my place and play Sonic 2, Monster Rancher and Robo Pit.

I know you can get everything off Battle.net now, but that was not always the case...

Anyways It would be cool if they gave someone else a chance to write a Starcraft game. Like a lot of people in this thread have been saying, Metzen has been losing his edge for a while it seems like. Honestly Vin Diesel even might be able to take a better crack at it. But in my perfect world 10 years from now there will be a Guillermo Del Toro Starcraft movie, or Guillermo Del Toro The Strain movie. One or the other....

But maybe this year I will be able to save up and get a nice mac for the Wow expansion and I would put some SC2 on there too. The multiplayer to this game looks like everything I ever dreamed of since I picked SC1 up off the shelf when I was like 13 or something..

OOOOh...Tetsuya Takahashi could also take writing for a Starcraft spinoff in some interesting directions, but he is obviously doing all this cool stuff of his own too.

Cardiovorax
Jun 5, 2011

I mean, if you're a successful actress and you go out of the house in a skirt and without underwear, knowing that paparazzi are just waiting for opportunities like this and that it has happened many times before, then there's really nobody you can blame for it but yourself.

cokerpilot posted:

Again I am not a mod and can not tell you how to post, but please for the love of all that is holy do not start another thread war over this issue.
Maybe you should take your own advice, because God that's an awful spergpost.

AradoBalanga
Jan 3, 2013

Sunning posted:

For awhile, I thought Matt Horner was the player/Magistrate character in SC1 but it turns out he was introduced as a new character in between games through a novel.
Yeah, the only named character who is actually was a previous player character from SC1 is Artanis, as he's the Executor you play as in the original Protoss campaign before Tassadar's death causes what's left of the Protoss to promote Artanis to Praetor. Although, it saddens me that we no longer have Jack Ritschel to voice Artanis and Zeratul anymore (as he died several years ago). Actually, come to think of it, I believe only Mengsk and Raynor are reprised by their SC1 voice actors (James Harper and Robert Clotworthy, respectively). Everyone else got recast, which upset a few people; well, mostly with Kerrigan being recast.

As for the story....I have some complaints of my own (we are some distance from those moments), but I do enjoy how much everything has evolved from 1996/1998. The interface, the unit redesigns, even the lobby segments are a nice feature and an improvement over the "talking heads near a text scrawl" for info dumps. I am looking forward to this LP, even if the plot has its faults.

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.

AradoBalanga posted:

Yeah, the only named character who is actually was a previous player character from SC1 is Artanis, as he's the Executor you play as in the original Protoss campaign before Tassadar's death causes what's left of the Protoss to promote Artanis to Praetor.

I thought Selendis was the Protoss PC from Brood War?

AradoBalanga
Jan 3, 2013

Cythereal posted:

I thought Selendis was the Protoss PC from Brood War?
The Dark Templar Saga novels sort of contradict Brood War's Protoss campaign in places, so Selendis is a "maybe" on that front. Blizzard has never really clarified that (at least from the information I've come across).

Feinne
Oct 9, 2007

When you fall, get right back up again.
One imagines Legacy of the Void might, we'll just have to see.

Raldan
Oct 21, 2010

HH Challenge Caster
(Pls no bm)
In case you were hoping this was going to be an RTS without resource gathering and base management...

:siren:Update:siren:

I'm now not that certain about the game calling Command Centers "Town Halls". I know Blizzard refers to them as Town Halls in patch notes, but I can't seem to find where I thought they said that in the help menu.

Seyser Koze
Dec 15, 2013

Mucho Mucho
Nap Ghost
Well I enjoyed the story. :colbert:

Feinne
Oct 9, 2007

Backwater Station is in fact a location from the original Starcraft as well.

The music playing in the bar is pretty sweet and is all available in an album called Revolution Overdrive (it was even available on a proper record a few Blizzcons ago).

J.theYellow
May 7, 2003
Slippery Tilde
I just noticed that the player is no longer a character in Starcraft 2. In Starcraft/BW, the player is always addressed, though never named. "Commander" for Terrans, "Cerebrate" for Zerg and ... Prelate, maybe? for Toss? I can't remember now. The units were geared around waiting for the player's orders.

Now it's just about watching these dullards fart around seemingly independent of what the player wants them to do.

Psion
Dec 13, 2002

eVeN I KnOw wHaT CoRnEr gAs iS

J.theYellow posted:

I just noticed that the player is no longer a character in Starcraft 2. In Starcraft/BW, the player is always addressed, though never named. "Commander" for Terrans, "Cerebrate" for Zerg and ... Prelate, maybe? for Toss? I can't remember now. The units were geared around waiting for the player's orders.

Now it's just about watching these dullards fart around seemingly independent of what the player wants them to do.

Executor, for the Protoss.

Coolguye
Jul 6, 2011

Required by his programming!
Operationally, Raynor is typically in command for the Terrans, though there are a few instances where others take over for a bit. But yeah, functionally it would be Raynor giving the commands that you're giving. Addressing the player in SC1 was always a little awkward, so I can't say I wholly dislike the change, though I will say I did dislike the overall arc the Terran campaign took. Raynor was pretty sympathetic in the first game, but in this game he gets increasingly less sympathetic as time goes on, and eventually I just lost all investment in what was happening.

Feinne
Oct 9, 2007

Psion posted:

Executor, for the Protoss.

Yeah, and as noted the two characters addressed as such probably are both in SC2 since it's definitely Artanis and possibly Selendis. I don't recall what the Magistrate is up to though I think he's still with Raynor maybe, and the Cerebrate has gone to the big Hive in the sky along with all the rest of those now-obsolete entities.

I actually really like Raynor's arc so far in Wings and Heart, we'll see how he enters into Legacy of the Void when that comes out (I'm hoping we start getting some news about it soon because I'm really interested in how they're going to format the Protoss campaign given how different the Terran and Zerg ones are).

Feinne fucked around with this message at 04:16 on Feb 5, 2014

Raldan
Oct 21, 2010

HH Challenge Caster
(Pls no bm)

Nuramor posted:

I hope that there are still funny unit quotes and that you will show them all off.

There certainly are. I'll try to do a couple bonus updates with all the unit quotes.

J.theYellow
May 7, 2003
Slippery Tilde
And, now that I'm thinking, "JoeyRay" as the name of the absent bar owner may as well be a reference to the salvager in the very first cinematic from Starcraft, which also established the ugly/backward/twangy/smoking/redneck "typical Koprulu Terran" standard for the game.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4tdTdnrLVa0

RareAcumen
Dec 28, 2012

Raldan posted:

There certainly are. I'll try to do a couple bonus updates with all the unit quotes.

Could you also pull the camera in close to show how the buildings get built?

Feinne
Oct 9, 2007

J.theYellow posted:

And, now that I'm thinking, "JoeyRay" as the name of the absent bar owner may as well be a reference to the salvager in the very first cinematic from Starcraft, which also established the ugly/backward/twangy/smoking/redneck "typical Koprulu Terran" standard for the game.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4tdTdnrLVa0

It's also probably named after Joeyray Hall, who's on the cinematics team at Blizzard.

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.

Feinne posted:

I actually really like Raynor's arc so far in Wings and Heart, we'll see how he enters into Legacy of the Void when that comes out (I'm hoping we start getting some news about it soon because I'm really interested in how they're going to format the Protoss campaign given how different the Terran and Zerg ones are).

He sure as heck is more interesting than Kerrigan, now that she's fallen into the classic Blizzard "Female characters must be evil or driven by their relationships with men, no exceptions" character type.

GenHavoc
Jul 19, 2006

Vive L'Empreur!
Vive La Surcouf!
The story in SC2 isn't going to win any awards, but it's hardly worthy of the "gently caress Blizzard forever", "Mark Metzer is a war criminal" poo poo that seems to be coming up all over the place.

But then I suppose it wouldn't be an LP thread without people complaining about how terrible it is that anyone actually liked the game for the entire duration of the LP.

Iretep
Nov 10, 2009

Cythereal posted:

He sure as heck is more interesting than Kerrigan, now that she's fallen into the classic Blizzard "Female characters must be evil or driven by their relationships with men, no exceptions" character type.

Blizzard has had evil female characters? I thought Kerrigan was more of a "I'm good now but now I'm evil and kill all my friends." character type thats in every blizzard game.

GenHavoc posted:

The story in SC2 isn't going to win any awards, but it's hardly worthy of the "gently caress Blizzard forever", "Mark Metzer is a war criminal" poo poo that seems to be coming up all over the place.

But then I suppose it wouldn't be an LP thread without people complaining about how terrible it is that anyone actually liked the game for the entire duration of the LP.

I think most peoples problem with SC2 story is that it isn't really that consistent with the previous games. The story would be fine if not a bit lame in some parts othervise.

Iretep fucked around with this message at 04:31 on Feb 5, 2014

Synastren
Nov 8, 2005

Bad at Starcraft 2.
Better at psychology.
Psychology Megathread

Cythereal posted:

Counterpoint: Jaina Proudmoor & Silvanus

Diablo player characters don't count, because they aren't actually characters.

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.

Synastren posted:

They're both defined by their relationships to Arthas and have since gone moustache-twirling evil in WoW these days.

Lunethex
Feb 4, 2013

Me llamo Sarah Brandolino, the eighth Castilian of this magnificent marriage.

Cythereal posted:

They're both defined by their relationships to Arthas and have since gone moustache-twirling evil in WoW these days.

The former even more with Thrall as I recall.

Seyser Koze
Dec 15, 2013

Mucho Mucho
Nap Ghost

Synastren posted:

I figure it's only a matter of time until Blizzard gives in to player demands and sends Sylvanas the way of Fandral Staghelm (because god forbid that anybody say something not-nice to us in our escapist online fantasy and get away with it).

AradoBalanga
Jan 3, 2013

Cythereal posted:

I think the only exception to that is Maiev Shadowsong, who's whole schtick during Frozen Throne is "KILL ILLIDAN!!" or "Deep brooding jerk".

Unless WoW changed that, like almost everyone in the Warcraft universe.

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.

AradoBalanga posted:

I think the only exception to that is Maiev Shadowsong, who's whole schtick during Frozen Throne is "KILL ILLIDAN!!" or "Deep brooding jerk".

Unless WoW changed that, like almost everyone in the Warcraft universe.

Maiev is largely an accessory to Illidan's character. WoW played that pretty straight - she vanished after Illidan died and has been MIA since. According to the books, apparently (haven't read them myself) she's been going crazy off-screen.

Crepuscule Adepte
Feb 21, 2008

Why is my hair purple? It's from the blood of everyone that lost a bet against me.
Well, Even Maiev didn't necessarily want Illidan dead. What she wanted was him serving out his sentence properly since someone murdered all of her subordinates and set the guy known to have assisted the demons in trying to destroy the world for the sake of power free because they thought releasing him would be much better than working with Orcs.

...Honestly, they still ended her story in Frozen Throne with "She's evil now, because she can't accept the fact that I'm casually forgiving someone for potentially destroying the world because they saved my wife", which is... pretty questionable to me, at least.

But this is a Starcraft discussion, isn't it? I also have a lot of opinions on Mengsk in general. The short version is that I honestly think they've kind of been derailing his character since Brood War. I really liked how Megsk's story ended in the original Starcraft campaigns, too...

Crepuscule Adepte fucked around with this message at 04:50 on Feb 5, 2014

Psion
Dec 13, 2002

eVeN I KnOw wHaT CoRnEr gAs iS

GenHavoc posted:

This is an excellent attack on a strawman that literally nobody in this thread posted, but do continue :allears:

Psion fucked around with this message at 05:26 on Feb 5, 2014

Synastren
Nov 8, 2005

Bad at Starcraft 2.
Better at psychology.
Psychology Megathread

Crepuscule Adepte posted:

But this is a Starcraft discussion, isn't it? I also have a lot of opinions on Mengsk in general. The short version is that I honestly think they've kind of been derailing his character since Brood War. I really liked how Megsk's story ended in the original Starcraft campaigns, too...

To completely stop any possible spoilers, I think that Mengsk is in a place very consonant with how he was portrayed in Starcraft and Brood War.

Cythereal posted:

Full disclosure: I haven't played WoW in a very long time, but my general understanding was that Silvanus was still trying to do as well for her people as she could (even if they are all undeads :v: ), while Jaina had moved on from Arthas to be her own character a long time ago. I could be completely wrong, though.

Feinne
Oct 9, 2007

Cythereal posted:

I actually have to disagree with you, I think she's less "evil or driven by relationship with men no exceptions" in Heart of the Swarm than she was in original SC and Brood War. I see where you're coming from on that being a problem Blizzard has but I think her Heart arc is pretty good (though of course at some level we have to wait for Legacy to see how they're planning to tie this all up).

That said since I don't really want to spoil the end of the second campaign during the second mission of the first I'm willing to agree to disagree here.

Synastren posted:

Full disclosure: I haven't played WoW in a very long time, but my general understanding was that Silvanus was still trying to do as well for her people as she could (even if they are all undeads ), while Jaina had moved on from Arthas to be her own character a long time ago. I could be completely wrong, though.

Oh she is, she just also came a bit unhinged after the Lich King died because she wasn't sure what she had to exist for anymore. Then she recruited some lovely ladies who used to work for the Lich King and who could guarantee the future of the Forsaken at the cost of scaring the everliving poo poo out of everyone else because oh poo poo now there can be new Forsaken.

Jaina completely lost her loving poo poo after Theramore was blown up and Dalaran was used to launch a sneak attack on Darnassus to steal a creepy evil artifact that was being stored there, and we'll have to see if she chills the gently caress out or not as things develop.

Feinne fucked around with this message at 06:01 on Feb 5, 2014

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.

Feinne posted:

I actually have to disagree with you, I think she's less "evil or driven by relationship with men no exceptions" in Heart of the Swarm than she was in original SC and Brood War. I see where you're coming from on that being a problem Blizzard has but I think her Heart arc is pretty good (though of course at some level we have to wait for Legacy to see how they're planning to tie this all up).

That said since I don't really want to spoil the end of the second campaign during the second mission of the first I'm willing to agree to disagree here.

Kerrigan's SC2 story fell flat for me after the prison ship level in HotS. You know the one. From strong, confident leader to instant wreck willing to die in the span of about ten seconds.

At least Abathur is around to save that campaign.

Feinne
Oct 9, 2007

Cythereal posted:

Kerrigan's SC2 story fell flat for me after the prison ship level in HotS. You know the one. From strong, confident leader to instant wreck willing to die in the span of about ten seconds.

Well to be fair that's really where she starts to feel the consequence of that thing she does earlier in the campaign, so I don't think it's terrible writing for her to break down a little there. That said, I saw what happened in that scene more as an effort to prove that things were different now and that despite the incredibly numerous reasons not to do so that she could still be trusted.

Heart of the Swarm's such a fun campaign and introduces a bunch of surprisingly characterful Zerg (as well as having some SURPRISE RETURNS that I've got so much to talk about when we see them finally) so it's still a net good for me. It also proves Steve Blum can do other voices.

Feinne fucked around with this message at 06:18 on Feb 5, 2014

Seyser Koze
Dec 15, 2013

Mucho Mucho
Nap Ghost

Feinne posted:

Jaina completely lost her loving poo poo after Theramore was blown up and Dalaran was used to launch a sneak attack on Darnassus to steal a creepy evil artifact that was being stored there, and we'll have to see if she chills the gently caress out or not as things develop.

We haven't seen her interact with Thrall yet, but based on the post-Garrosh video I'm guessing Varian will keep her honest, at least for the time being.

occipitallobe
Jul 16, 2012

Cythereal posted:

Yeah, SC2's story struck me as pretty weak, but goddamn are the individual levels fun. "Here, take a massively overlevelled hero, go have some fun. Had enough fun? Have a spaceship level. Enjoyed that? Have some regular RTS for a bit."

Whereas I played through SC1 because I found what was happening pretty compelling, enough so to ignore the 'defend, build up a massive army, go destroy enemy' levels, SC2's campaign was just super enjoyable. I certainly didn't play on Brutal, so looking forward to seeing that go down.

Synastren posted:

To completely stop any possible spoilers, I think that Mengsk is in a place very consonant with how he was portrayed in Starcraft and Brood War.

Yeah, Mengsk remains one of my favourite characters in Starcraft and possibly one of the best villains of all time. His voice remains loving spectacular, though he never really delivers any lines as amazing as those he does in the SC1 Terran Campaign. Hearing Mengsk deliver a speech was the first moment it really felt like a Starcraft campaign.

Cuntellectual
Aug 6, 2010
I think the single biggest sticking point of letdown about SC2, story wise, was Fenix NEVER being mentioned. Maybe he got talked about in HotS, I don't know, I didn't finish it. Brood Wars was one of my favorite games ever but I haven't touched SC2 in ages. :sigh:

You know, in StarCraft and Liberty's Crusade the relationship Raynor and Kerrigan had was never more then "We should have coffee" which kinda bugs me. That and Raynor going from blonde, shaved head and kinda husky to chiseled gruff space marine.

e: I wasn't a fan of HotS' single player gameplay so that was a loss too.

Cuntellectual fucked around with this message at 07:17 on Feb 5, 2014

Feinne
Oct 9, 2007

Anatharon posted:

I think the single biggest sticking point of letdown about SC2, story wise, was Fenix NEVER being mentioned. Maybe he got talked about in HotS, I don't know, I didn't finish it. Brood Wars was one of my favorite games ever but I haven't touched SC2 in ages. :sigh:

You know, in StarCraft and Liberty's Crusade the relationship Raynor and Kerrigan had was never more then "We should have coffee" which kinda bugs me. That and Raynor going from blonde, shaved head and kinda husky to chiseled gruff space marine.

e: I wasn't a fan of HotS' single player gameplay so that was a loss too.

Fenix might get a mention in Legacy, but he's pretty dead after all.

Veloxyll
May 3, 2011

Fuck you say?!

Feinne posted:

Oh she is, she just also came a bit unhinged after the Lich King died because she wasn't sure what she had to exist for anymore. Then she recruited some lovely ladies who used to work for the Lich King and who could guarantee the future of the Forsaken at the cost of scaring the everliving poo poo out of everyone else because oh poo poo now there can be new Forsaken.

Sylvanas will be kinda interesting now that she's not just going all "gently caress Garrosh". Or that messing with Garrosh doesn't pretty much automatically make her sympathetic.

Kerrigan makes some AMAZINGLY boneheaded decisions in HOTS.
But we should really wait until we actually get to meet Kerrigan before we go complaining about all the things she'll do. And all Raynor's flaws that'll emerge.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Coolguye
Jul 6, 2011

Required by his programming!
I'm not sure how one can say Mengsk has been derailed - his character has grown completely predictably since the climax of the Terran campaign in SC1 base. That's not a bad thing, because the trajectory they had him on was a very strong one. The problem comes in how all the other characters play off him. Matt basically handles it correctly, while Raynor merrily fucks around with increasingly little self-awareness until you just want to slap him.

Also yeah, not too many people who got themselves a case of the deads in SC1 come up in SC2 at all, which is probably for the best. I realize there's still a lot of love for SC1 when SC2 came out, but the lag time was over 10 years. If you were to drop Fenix, Tassadar, DuGalle, etc a lot and pretend like it meant something to people you'd have a lot of people scratching their heads. It's a little like the Blade Runner game - they went through so much painstaking effort to make a ton of call-backs to the Blade Runner movie, but the movie was OLD by the time the game came out, so really they were just pandering to a movie that most people didn't really remember. SC1 is the same way with relation to SC2 in the sense that people promptly forgot the story after the melee mode went all esports and became the Korean national pastime.

• Locked thread