Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Synastren
Nov 8, 2005

Bad at Starcraft 2.
Better at psychology.
Psychology Megathread

I am also going to reserve a post because I might write stuff or contribute in a way that isn't just cocastery.

rip zeez

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Synastren
Nov 8, 2005

Bad at Starcraft 2.
Better at psychology.
Psychology Megathread

Vander posted:

So how exactly does Reynor go from hating Kerrigan to loving her? Is it an EU thing? I've never touched the books, myself.

They had an implied emotional connection in StarCraft; Raynor is seemingly personally betrayed by Mengsk's actions in abandoning Kerrigan to the Zerg, and basically swears vengeance right then and there. After becoming infected, Kerrigan did all kinds of terrible things, so Raynor vowed to kill her at the end of Brood War. It is worth noting that Raynor wanted to find a way to cure Kerrigan for quite some time, if I recall correctly.

As for why he suddenly seemingly loves her again? I'm not sure. I think at this point, Raynor is supposed to be conflicted between wanting Sarah Kerrigan back and wanting to end the menace that is the Queen of Blades. On the other hand, when last we saw Jim Raynor, he swore that he would kill her.

... so, Metzen retconned it?

Synastren
Nov 8, 2005

Bad at Starcraft 2.
Better at psychology.
Psychology Megathread

Drakenel posted:

I think the implication is that some time has passed since the end of Brood War. Like, after Kerrigan kicks the UED in the balls and obliterates Artanis She kind of goes away for a bit. Presumably to build back up. During that time, I assume Raynor has had time to wallow in his losses a bit to let the sting of Kerrigan's atrocities fade just enough to remember what she used to be.

According to the incredibly detailed timeline I found, there is about three years between Brood War and Wings of Liberty. While you might have had a really clever point, I don't know if three years is enough to forget the kind of supervillain poo poo that Kerrigan pulled during the Brood War.

Really good theory, though, and miles ahead of what Blizzard has written [lately?]!

Wanamingo posted:

I'm pretty much the same. I tried the multiplayer, but really, it's just too difficult for me. Maybe I'll give it another go sometime, threads like these are generally pretty good for learning how to not suck at this sort of thing.

We are planning on doing a multiplayer segment of undetermined size and scope, but we aren't sure when. Or how. Or what to include. But there will be multiplayer, and it will hopefully make it less daunting!

Feinne posted:

Yeah, the single player campaigns for SC2 are pretty awesome so far and are pretty much what I've gotten this and Heart of the Swarm for.

I think Blizzard said that more than half of the people who have purchased Starcraft 2 have never played the multiplayer, so you are in good company!

Synastren
Nov 8, 2005

Bad at Starcraft 2.
Better at psychology.
Psychology Megathread

cokerpilot posted:

Good lord please don't let this thread devolve into Raynor should hate Kerrigan forever and get vengeance or of course he loves her the queen of blades and Kerrigan are not truly the same person or that her actions in Heart of the swarm mean she deserves to burn in a fire. I have seen so many threads on so many forums devolve into arguments then flame wars over this issue it is not funny.

I am not a mod and I can not tell you what to do but please if you have strong opinions on this matter please please do not start arguing over it. If you wish to say what you think about it that's fine. Please do not use your post however as an excuse to try to rip other people who have posted about it already.

A post saying that their romance was subtly hinted first games at in the first games and confirmed in EU and that you believe that Serra Kerrigan the individual and the queen of blades should be considered different people brainwashed to serve different masters to the best of their abilities.
Isn't that bad a post.

Saying that she deserves to die for being a genocide maniac and how could anyone think differently?
Is just asking for people to come argue with you.

Again I am not a mod and can not tell you how to post, but please for the love of all that is holy do not start another thread war over this issue.

If you read that post as the beginning of a thread war, I don't know what to tell you. Maybe calm down?

ed: I'm assuming you're addressing me, specifically, where I say that it would be highly unlikely that Raynor would forget the gruesome events of the Brood War within three years. Maybe you misinterpreted what I was saying?

Synastren
Nov 8, 2005

Bad at Starcraft 2.
Better at psychology.
Psychology Megathread

Night10194 posted:

I thought it was just because StarCraft's always been pretty badly written? Like, good game or no, the story is really not what you're here for, yeah?

So did they remove base building, mostly, or was the first mission mostly a tutorial? I'm curious to see if they went the Dawn of War 2 route.

First mission tutorial stuff only. We get to some base construction and limited economy management in the next mission. Some missions have less base building than others, and there are a lot of resource pickups littered around the map in many of them.

SageNytell posted:

So I will watch this if only to see The Lost Vikings, never managed to beat even the first level on my onesies.

The think about Lost Viking is that it gets really monotonous after a while. It loops after beating the boss, and the levels don't change much. In order to get all of the achievements, I think you have to complete either three or five loops. I managed to do two, I think?

Synastren
Nov 8, 2005

Bad at Starcraft 2.
Better at psychology.
Psychology Megathread

Feinne posted:

The news reports are pretty great by the end, honestly.

And Jim Raynor is kind of an rear end, we'll see that as we go. There are vanishingly few characters in Starcraft that are good guys and many of them died at some point in the original or in the Brood Wars.

Matt Horner is basically the Best Good Guy in the game, I think. There are a couple of characters we haven't met yet who are pretty close to stereotypical heroes, too.

Also, if you don't like the news reports, you are fundamentally broken.

Synastren
Nov 8, 2005

Bad at Starcraft 2.
Better at psychology.
Psychology Megathread

Kaboom Dragoon posted:

Nah, no one's mentioned CORRUPTION yet, so it's go a ways to go.

It's been a long while since I've played, but wasn't Kerrigan in the original SC mixed-race? I at least remember her looking a little darker than she is here.

http://starcraft.wikia.com/wiki/Sarah_Kerrigan#StarCraft

I'm not sure how much of that is attributable to dated graphics and art styles, and how much is intentional, but she definitely looks a bit different in StarCraft 2.

The voice actress changed, too. :ssh:

Sunning posted:

For awhile, I thought Matt Horner was the player/Magistrate character in SC1 but it turns out he was introduced as a new character in between games through a novel.

I think we will occasionally hear the Magistrate/Cerebrate/Executor referenced in SC2. Unfortunately, the player-as-a-character device has fallen out of vogue in everything but Command and Conquer games.

Synastren
Nov 8, 2005

Bad at Starcraft 2.
Better at psychology.
Psychology Megathread

Mordaedil posted:

I think this opening stuff kinda showcases the weak side of Blizzard right now. The newscasters, Tychus whom you can see from a loving mile away (the intro even loving gives it away) and Jim Raynor's character change...

I just don't think they've got the writing chops anymore. This is like fanfiction, rather than what I'd expect from a multi-billion dollar company, known for quality games.

To be fair, the closest thing to good writing that Blizzard did was for Diablo and/or Diablo 2. They also apparently think so, because they've been using the same storyline ever sense Diablo 2.

Synastren
Nov 8, 2005

Bad at Starcraft 2.
Better at psychology.
Psychology Megathread

Cythereal posted:

He sure as heck is more interesting than Kerrigan, now that she's fallen into the classic Blizzard "Female characters must be evil or driven by their relationships with men, no exceptions" character type.

Counterpoint: Jaina Proudmoor & Silvanus

Diablo player characters don't count, because they aren't actually characters.

Synastren
Nov 8, 2005

Bad at Starcraft 2.
Better at psychology.
Psychology Megathread

Crepuscule Adepte posted:

But this is a Starcraft discussion, isn't it? I also have a lot of opinions on Mengsk in general. The short version is that I honestly think they've kind of been derailing his character since Brood War. I really liked how Megsk's story ended in the original Starcraft campaigns, too...

To completely stop any possible spoilers, I think that Mengsk is in a place very consonant with how he was portrayed in Starcraft and Brood War.

Cythereal posted:

They're both defined by their relationships to Arthas and have since gone moustache-twirling evil in WoW these days.

Full disclosure: I haven't played WoW in a very long time, but my general understanding was that Silvanus was still trying to do as well for her people as she could (even if they are all undeads :v: ), while Jaina had moved on from Arthas to be her own character a long time ago. I could be completely wrong, though.

Synastren
Nov 8, 2005

Bad at Starcraft 2.
Better at psychology.
Psychology Megathread

Kaboom Dragoon posted:

When I used to play SC with friends, we always agreed that the first 10-15 minutes of a match were purely for base/army building, because rushes became so bloody intolerable. Anything after that was fair game, but until then, anything more than a scout unit for building more bases was verboten.

Incidentally, is HotS standalone, or is it a pure expansion?

HotS is a pure, old school expansion.

Coolguye is totally right about the absurd effectiveness of marine/medic, and Raldan and I discussed that very thing before starting this LP. We will be doing our best to avoid the boring shitstorm that "only using m/m" would become!

Also, drat, there are some people mad about early game aggression in this thread. I guess our first MP video shouldn't be how to do a 6pool or proxy 2rax. Back to the drawing board, Raldan!

ed:
Congrats! We have now "I am not a mod but..." posts on 2/3 pages! Great work, goons!

Synastren fucked around with this message at 18:17 on Feb 5, 2014

Synastren
Nov 8, 2005

Bad at Starcraft 2.
Better at psychology.
Psychology Megathread

Coolguye posted:

To me, rush plays represent a flaw in the design of a lot of RTS games - or perhaps RTS in general. A rush play does not really constitute a strategy - they always stem from a metagame analysis rather than an instance assessment, the latter being what you would expect people to have to work with on a strategy map. It shows no unique thought or skill on the part of the person doing the rush, and because it is representative of a flaw in the game there's not a great way to work against it except another canned response. The infamous 6-zergling rush from SC1 days was what made a lot of Terran games for the longest time build a Bunker literally right next to their Barracks, just in case 6 zerglings showed up because whoops, it was completely impossible to have more than 2 marines active by the time they showed up! The more these canned responses show up, the more these matches could be played by macros instead of humans. I didn't ask to watch competitive Mavis Beacon Teaches Typing, I asked to watch a strategy game. There's nothing wrong with early game aggression, but it should be in response to scouting and identification of what your opponent is actually doing, not a metagame analysis that shows the Zerg have a slight comparative time advantage on Zerglings and Mutalisks and if leveraged by inputting these commands quickly enough there's nothing the other guy can do to stop it.

Dawn of War 2 does a good job of handling rushing problems, but some people rather rightly argue that it is more a Real Time Tactical than a Real Time Strategy.

I don't want to go into a full blown discussion on the relative merits of having rushing options before we get to any sort of multiplayer coverage in the thread, so all I will say here is that I think you are wrong. When we get to the multiplayer segments of the LP, I will flesh out my thoughts more, but I don't want to derail the thread into something that won't likely show up for a few weeks yet. Please bring this up again then though, if I forget! :)

Veloxyll posted:

What about how to counter 6pool/proxy 2rax?
The best early harass SC2 vid was an amazing one where someone micro'd a scout scv to block the enemy's Command Centre for like 2 minutes. While still building back at base. It was beautiful (I don't recall the exact races)

Unless you go for a very greedy expansion, all early rush strategies are beatable, assuming they get scouted. Depending on the opener chosen by the defender and when/if the rush is scouted, it may be more or less difficult. The one thing about these early strategies is that they always come with severe repercussions if they fail. I have no problem with getting to a series of self-contained tutorial videos; Raldan and I have tried to figure out the best way to work SC2 multiplayer into the LP as it is an absolutely vital part of the game. We haven't yet come up with a good way to do it.

In any event, I play Zerg, and so I think I deal with more early game rush strategies than either Terran or Protoss--ZvZ is a domino series of all-in plays where rush plays are considered to be completely standard play. And Zerg players (Random players notwithstanding) are more likely to go for early game attacks than the other two factions due to the way that Zerg production works.

As a quick addendum, I find the comments that Terran have to deal with the most early-game rush attacks to be positively amusing. Assuming a standard opener in a multiplayer game, Terran is the only race who can, a) make a full wall that does not require later demolition; b) keep their wall alive during an attack by repairing; and, c) have ranged units to shoot over the wall. Zerg virtually never does an early rush strategy vs. Terran, and Protoss' attacks hit too late to be considered rush attacks. TvT might be a different story, though.

Synastren
Nov 8, 2005

Bad at Starcraft 2.
Better at psychology.
Psychology Megathread

Coolguye posted:

Showing off the challenge maps they have might be a good way to start discussion about it - from there you could encourage questions in the thread, that could later turn into exhibition matches between you and Raldan, possibly bringing in other people if the need arose. The challenge maps are basically tailor made to instruct players in good multiplayer habits from the get-go, instead of the SC1 problem where you had an entire lower strata of people who'd been playing for 300 hours and still had no idea how to use their hotkeys effectively.

It's probably impossible to make it to the same standard as your single player LP. No matter how informative you are and how brilliantly you present the multiplayer, all of it can be invalidated in a week by the next patch. Or the next expansion. That being the case, it's probably OK to pander to the fans that are more invested in your work, and since you don't have a huge youtube following yet I'd say it's easy to conclude that those fans are in this thread.

I think we were kind of planning on doing the challenge maps anyway, but there is something of a problem in using them to jump into multiplayer. When Blizzard makes changes to units or abilities, those changes only affect the multiplayer segment of the game; single player is not touched at all. This means that if you install Wings of Liberty today, you would get the exact same experience as if you installed it at launch. Multiplayer, meanwhile, even if you only play without the expansion, is drastically altered to at least be as it was just before HotS came out. There are really, really major changes made between launch and the release of HotS, not to mention the patches that have come out for HotS itself.

As a quick example, there is a challenge map that involves using the Neural Parasite ability of one of the Zerg units. Neural Parasite is a mind-control ability, where the zerg unit is immobilized (you functionally lose control of the bug), but you can freely control the targeted unit. For the purpose of the challenge maps, the range on NP is about 9 (slightly shorter than siege tank range); in multiplayer, it is 7 (slightly longer than a marine's range). In the challenge map, the unit is yours until it dies, or until you release control of it; in multiplayer, it lasts for 15 seconds or, more likely, until your unit dies three seconds later. Even more damning is that this particular ability is never, ever used, despite there being a challenge map entirely devoted to learning how to use it.

Raldan and I have done quite a bit of casting for team Rip Zeez (the goon SC2 clan) in miscellaneous clan wars, and could probably leverage a lot of the players into doing showmatches to cast them for this thread. I think what we are really trying to figure out is whether they should be instructional videos on how to play SC2, or how to watch SC2. Is our end goal to get a bunch of prospective zeezers out of the thread? Or is it to try to get a bunch of LP forumgoers to watch professional StarCraft (which can be awesome)?

Exhibition matches between me and Raldan would probably not go so well, as he is noticeably better at the game than I am. :v:

GenHavoc posted:

Oh for gently caress's sake... Yes, I used hyperbole to generalize the sorts of responses I was seeing, and to object to the fact that, as usual, an LP of a game from a major studio devolved instantly into people making GBS threads on other, unrelated games. I am plainly a sad, pathetic man, dazzled into incoherence by the staggering genius of your comments regarding the need for Metzen to be "locked away from writing anything ever again," which is itself in no way hyperbole either. You obviously literally believe Metzen should be arrested, because you've already established that to exaggerate in any sense makes you into a pathetic, strawman-employing loser, incapable of judging reality.

If we're actually going to be this pedantic, then I will happily bow out and leave you to complain about whatever you like.

a) :goonsay:
b) There has been no making GBS threads on any other Blizzard games in the thread, except for drawing parallels to the story in this one to other games with the same writer.
c) I have no idea why you are so paranoid about this game turning into a Blizzard hatefest circlejerk, but it probably won't happen. At least, not until people start bitching about balance in multiplayer. :v:
d) Jesus Tapdancing Christ, calm down.

Synastren
Nov 8, 2005

Bad at Starcraft 2.
Better at psychology.
Psychology Megathread

Raldan posted:

I'm not too familiar with the world of UMS. I've only really played a couple. If anybody is more familiar with what's out there, I wouldn't mind getting a group to show them off.

I've played a few Arcade maps, and given that the entire Arcade is open to Starter Edition (read: free) accounts, I think that getting some group games would be fun.

Let me know if you guys want to play some Warships. :unsmith:

Synastren
Nov 8, 2005

Bad at Starcraft 2.
Better at psychology.
Psychology Megathread

Patter Song posted:

I haven't played this one, though I played the hell out of SC and Brood War. How's Mengsk dealing with the fact that he was overthrown by the UED and only restored to power through the aid of Kerrigan, only to promptly lose a major war against her? I have to imagine that there's an embarrassing empty chapter in Dominion history books between when Stukov and de Gaulle reached the sector and the final battle of the Brood War campaign.

Never comes up. :v:

If I'd guess, I'd say that Mengsk has a good enough propaganda machine to make it irrelevant, though.

quote:

Also, I'm probably one of the few people whose original experience with Starcraft I was the N64 version, so I played its final mission, Resurrection IV, in the end. It's about uninfesting Stukov, and Raynor's last line in it was "If there's hope for Stukov, there's hope for Kerrigan," so I always assumed, even back in the day, that Starcraft II would be about Raynor trying to bring back Kerrigan. Apparently the fact that Resurrection IV wasn't in the computer version of Brood War left everyone else thinking that Raynor still wanted her dead?

I never actually heard anything about this mission before. However, I'm not entirely sure if those events are considered cannon, since Blizzard never released it for PC.

We'll be able to discuss this specific detail much later in the LP, though!

Synastren
Nov 8, 2005

Bad at Starcraft 2.
Better at psychology.
Psychology Megathread

Cardiovorax posted:

I wouldn't make any bets that you will actually get to the Zerg campaign. Explain stuff now, while you have the chance.

It's less a "we're going to wait until Heart of the Swarm to discuss Zerg units" and more of a "holy poo poo, zergling, banelings, roaches, hydralisks, mutalisks, and ultras all in the same mission? PLUS bases?!" sort of thing.

We'll go over stuff, don't worry! :unsmith:

my dad posted:

Zerg-infested ground that is needed for Zerg structures to be built and greatly increases Zerg movement speed and regeneration rate.

Movement and vision is much more important than the regeneration bonus. Almost all zerg land units move ~30% faster on creep, while they get a regen bonus of 1 HP/4 seconds while on creep. More important, especially for multiplayer, is that everything that creates creep gives map vision, plus your units move much faster on it, plus Terran and Protoss cannot build structures on creep.

Synastren
Nov 8, 2005

Bad at Starcraft 2.
Better at psychology.
Psychology Megathread

Veloxyll posted:

As far as I know, Creep is usable by all zerg. Which used to (and probably still does) make for great fun with Nydus Canals

Creep itself doesn't have an owner, so all zerg get to use it. There are a few early all-in attacks in zerg vs zerg that rely on that (early spawning pool to allow zerglings -> make zerglings instead of workers -> build "defensive" structures in your opponent's base while your early zerglings attack), but generally it doesn't matter too much.

Zerg tends to not spread creep very aggressively in zvz, opting instead to spread creep to their own bases for defensive mobility.

I am also sad to report that Nydus works completely differently in SC2 than in Brood War. :(

edit: By the way, for those of you who might be interested in watching some competitive StarCraft 2, rip zeez is going to have a clan war next Saturday (Feb 15), which will definitely be casted. If the thread is interested, I'd be happy to relate more details.

Synastren
Nov 8, 2005

Bad at Starcraft 2.
Better at psychology.
Psychology Megathread

Drakyn posted:

Though the new method IS hilarious.

And expensive. :v:

Synastren
Nov 8, 2005

Bad at Starcraft 2.
Better at psychology.
Psychology Megathread

RareAcumen posted:

Man, now I can't wait to see these Protoss guys show up in the game. I really wish someone had done the First Starcraft game so I could get some backstory on this stuff and not have to ask a bunch of probably super-obvious questions. Cuz I'm so lost on this Queen of Blades stuff or who Jim Raynor is supposed to be. :psyduck:

Well, if it makes you feel any better, Blizzard has a habit of retconning the poo poo out of the stories of previous games in a franchise. Warcraft is probably one of the most retconned IPs this side of comics, so you aren't missing that much. Besides, the gameplay in the SC2 campaign is much more engaging and interesting to both play and watch.

Don't worry! You'll get filled in on things as we move forward, and if you are really interested, you can always look things up on the Wikia, just be advised that there are some pretty major spoilers for SC2 in there.

Synastren
Nov 8, 2005

Bad at Starcraft 2.
Better at psychology.
Psychology Megathread

Sunning posted:

I'm pretty sure Artanis survives in the final Brood War mission. You might be thinking of Kerrigan killing Aldaris on Shakuras.

The Zerg generals called Cerebrates are reincarnated if they are killed by conventional means. However, they can be permanently killed if a Protoss Dark Templar destroys them. The Dark Templar are the untouchable caste of the Protoss due to their religious differences. They can can kill celebrates by severing the Overmind's connection to them. If a Celebrate dies, its Zerg brood goes on a rampage.

Aldaris, the High Templar guy who puts Tassadar on trial in Starcraft, dies. Artanis, the Executor from Brood War, survives. I'm pretty sure.

You're also underselling how exiled the dark templar are from Protoss society. The protoss in general are joined by a sort of psychic web, vaguely analogous to the zerg hive mind, except they are all individuals. The dark templar are not--their minds are all seperate. It was so detestable to the protoss that the dark templar were exiled from Aiur, the protoss homeworld, and eventually resettled on Shakuras.

The mainstream protoss detested the dark templar until the Overmind found and invaded Aiur. Without a homeworld, the dark templar provided shelter to the rest of the Protoss race, and now all of the protoss share Shakuras as their new homeworld.

Synastren
Nov 8, 2005

Bad at Starcraft 2.
Better at psychology.
Psychology Megathread

Penakoto posted:

I remember I almost preordered Ghost for the Gamecube.

Man, I was so excited for that game, thought it'd be like a 3rd person Command and Conquer: Renegade.

My favorite Ghost anecdote:

I was friends with some people working on a total conversion for Unreal Tournament, based on StarCraft.

After they had gotten a good quarter of the way through development, Blizzard sent them a C&D order.

A few months later, Blizzard announced Ghost.

Then Ghost died, and I still haven't been able to shoot mans myself. :negative:

AradoBalanga posted:

Yeah, as Feinne mentioned, Tosh and Ghost's lead character Nova do appear in this game. Sadly, Nova's own commander that she has a good friendship with, Colonel Jackson Hauler, does not appear. Actually, come to think of it, aside from Edmund Duke and Mengsk, we have never really met any of the commanders of the Terran Squadrons that were listed in SC1's manual. SC:G would have been Hauler's big debut, but alas, that didn't happen.

Horace Warfield, new commander of the Dominion military, was originally a character from StarCraft: Ghost, too! :eng101:

Synastren
Nov 8, 2005

Bad at Starcraft 2.
Better at psychology.
Psychology Megathread

Lunethex posted:

There was once a Neverwinter Nights mod hosted for only 2 days, #1 mod at the time. A purportedly well-polished mod based on Star Wars with new Sound FX, voice overs, new tiles, the whole nine. This was about a year before KOTOR was even announced.

Then Bioware sent them a C&D and threatened legal action against anyone hosting it. It disappeared and a lot of people didn't get to see it. Don't know if anything's happened with it nowadays...but yeah.

Counterpoint: KOTOR was incredible, and KOTOR2 was a relatively solid game. Knights was even halfway decent for an MMO, just not great.

Ghost never happened, and there has never been a StarCraft action game.

Synastren
Nov 8, 2005

Bad at Starcraft 2.
Better at psychology.
Psychology Megathread

Iretep posted:

I'll take Daikatana plot over heart of the swarm plot any day. :colbert:

Careful, this might very well lead into a discussion on serious spoiler territory.

If you would like to discuss the relative merits of the Heart of the Swarm campaign, or plot points we haven't covered in Wings of Liberty yet, I encourage you to head over to the HotS Spoiler Thread.

Synastren
Nov 8, 2005

Bad at Starcraft 2.
Better at psychology.
Psychology Megathread

Calax posted:

I think a lot of the issues with this game's plotting can be traced back to their decision to split the missions up into chains by contact, that can be done in any order. Thus it seems like the stuff that you do for one companion can't be put into the story for another companion because the game doesn't know if that's happened yet or not.

Honestly, aside from the colony storyline that we have started with Evacuation, I don't think that is even really noticeable with regards to the story. The biggest problem is that StarCraft 1 and Brood War felt like B movies made by the Sci-Fi channel (note: not the current SyFy channel) in the 90s. Take the story more seriously, add in the expanded universe, and let Metzen start retconning things (some more subtly than others) as he's done since WarCraft III, and you get SC2.

Not to say that the plot in Wings of Liberty isn't a fun romp at times, but I don't think that having the missions set up that way contributes much for its relative mediocrity. There are plotlines that cannot be completed until other plotlines are done, however, so it isn't completely oblivious to other missions.

Synastren
Nov 8, 2005

Bad at Starcraft 2.
Better at psychology.
Psychology Megathread

Sunning posted:

You can download the Starter Edition for Wings of Liberty which lets you play multiplayer and the first five Campaign missions:https://us.battle.net/account/sc2/starter-edition/

They also opened up the entirety of Arcade to Starter Edition users.

ed: The Wings of Liberty + Heart of the Swarm bundle is $40.

glad i can talk because i cant read

Synastren fucked around with this message at 23:16 on Feb 14, 2014

Synastren
Nov 8, 2005

Bad at Starcraft 2.
Better at psychology.
Psychology Megathread

CountFosco posted:

Yeah, the starter edition is what I have. This link that I saw got me to thinking about sales: http://us.battle.net/sc2/en/blog/11767636/holiday-sale-save-up-to-75-12-2-2013

I think I have to wait longer. Right now getting both would be $70, which is a bit more than I want to spend.

My mistake about pricing.

Honestly, it was a surprise when they went on sale last time. You might need to wait until the winter holidays to see if they go on sale again, but I wouldn't anticipate them going on sale before then. They might go on sale during the summer, but I doubt it.

Synastren
Nov 8, 2005

Bad at Starcraft 2.
Better at psychology.
Psychology Megathread

The Casualty posted:

Actually, macro corresponds to your strategic-level decisions. Managing your economy, building/ moving your groups around when they aren't fighting, and how you respond to the enemy's overall battle strategy. Micro, on the other hand, refers to tactical decisions. How you move individual units or groups, your triggering of abilities, and what you decide to attack when the battle is joined. Micro and macro are difficult to balance because they both require a certain amount of attention, but your good players can do both simultaneously.

This is a fairly good summary. The strategic/tactical distinction is good, but a number of things you do with your units isn't necessarily "tactical" so much as it is good control.

The biggest problem with using macro/micro is that there is no agreement on what exactly macro is versus what exactly micro is. People on Team Liquid like to say that "macro" is anything involving economy and buildings (i.e., unit production, structure construction, base management and expansion, upgrades) while everything else is micro. Some things are more clear-cut than others: stutter stepping or splitting marines is obviously micro. What about army positioning? Transferring workers from one base to another?

The easiest way to think of it is that "macro" is "making more poo poo, and making your poo poo better" while "micro" is "using your poo poo."

FoolyCharged posted:

Both terms are based off of the prefixes of the same spelling meaning large and small respectively and are often times used to denote scale. Think macroeconomics vs microeconomics.

Macro- and micromanagement, specifically. I wouldn't classify it as "macro is focused on the long term" because it is just as vital to be able to efficiently make units when doing potent early aggressive strategies in multiplayer. If you are doing a proxy 2 rax (i.e., you build two barracks near your opponent's base rather than in yours), you are trying to end the game very quickly. If you do not efficiently spend your money when employing this strategy, you may not have enough units to win.

Lunethex posted:

Micromanagement, or "microing" is just a term used to refer to the management of units. It's an exhaustive topic that can be simply explained as thoughtful decisions for each individual in an army or proper resource usage, etc. One good example is how he will stutter-step as you mentioned, that's just him giving his marines faster attack rate. Very few enemies (or none, IIRC) actually have an uninterrupted stream of damage and it's all done in bursts, so even though you see marines firing non-stop their damage is only being done incrementally. By constantly ordering attacks they get to do more damage overtime, increasing DPS.

You may even want to group up certain units who have very particular abilities so they don't follow the one big horde you have and you can activate their potentials at specific times etc.

Ok, so the macro thing he said is wrong, but I want to expound on this a little bit, and make a few corrections.

Stutter stepping units is not to increase the amount of damage they do directly. What Raldan is actually doing when he stuttersteps his marines is he is cancelling the attack animation with a move command. Functionally, it allows units to attack and move at the same time, as almost every unit in SC2 does not move while attacking. He is correct in that no unit does a steady stream of damage: each attack has a cooldown, even if it is short. Marines attack once every .86 [Blizzard]* seconds. Void rays, which we will see in the next mission, are air units that shoot continuous lasers, but they actually do damage once every .5 [Blizzard] seconds. Moving while attacking allows you to hurt units while avoiding them (i.e., stutter stepping marines against melee units allows your marines to functionally shoot on the move, dealing damage while avoiding it), and to allow your units to do damage to enemy units or structures while moving into position. In a few cases, it allows you to use your units to damage retreating units, as well.

There are plenty of other micro tricks which may-or-may-not come up in the course of the campaign chunk of this LP, but I'm fairly sure a lot of them would be showed off in a multiplayer component.

Synastren
Nov 8, 2005

Bad at Starcraft 2.
Better at psychology.
Psychology Megathread

AradoBalanga posted:

Voting for U-238 Rounds and Welcome to the Jungle, mostly for Goliaths, aka "Holy poo poo, did these mechs bail my sorry rear end out of trouble more times than I can count". Now, if U-238 Rounds sound familiar, they used to be a Marine upgrade in Starcraft 1 that did...exactly what the Reaper variant does: added range for Marines and a damage boost.

If my memory is correct, Tychus' cantina conversation basically summed up what would have been Tosh's arc/story had Starcraft: Ghost been published. I think Hanson's lab conversation is also a nod to Ghost's original plot as well, in regards to the mystery Dominion program Tosh was involved in. Sadly, I think that's about as much as we get in regards to all of this. There may be a stray line or two down the road, but this is all we'll hear about Tosh's backstory.

U-238 rounds did not increase damage in Brood War, just range.

Which, I guess is kinda like damage?

Synastren
Nov 8, 2005

Bad at Starcraft 2.
Better at psychology.
Psychology Megathread

Hermetian posted:

They're good for early-game harassment but you won't see them afterwards. They did get a nice buff in HoS that lets them regenerate out of combat, although they lose their advantage against light units.

They also have the speed upgrade innately, and they lost their anti-structure attack.

They function a lot like early-game ground mutas with cliffwalk now.

Synastren
Nov 8, 2005

Bad at Starcraft 2.
Better at psychology.
Psychology Megathread

Spudd posted:

Planetary Fortress to go along with my favorite Starcraft 2 video of all time.

How can you say this without a link?

:negative:

Synastren
Nov 8, 2005

Bad at Starcraft 2.
Better at psychology.
Psychology Megathread

TwoPair posted:

Yeah I'm pretty godawful, that's probably how things'd go for me as well.

Although the guy who won did employ one of my favorite strategies, the classic terrible "move Siege Tanks up a little bit, enter siege mode, annihilate anything, rinse, repeat"

As long as you aren't sieging/unsieging all of your tanks at once, that's a perfectly viable (if over cautious) strategy. You need other units to cover your tanks, but... that's basically Terran mech, as I understand it. :v:

Synastren
Nov 8, 2005

Bad at Starcraft 2.
Better at psychology.
Psychology Megathread

Spudd posted:

I am both sorry for starting this conversation about When Cheese Fails and thankful that people are posting links to some of the episodes, I forgot how much I enjoyed them.

Well, we've now covered all of the good episodes...

:v:

Synastren
Nov 8, 2005

Bad at Starcraft 2.
Better at psychology.
Psychology Megathread

The Casualty posted:

Yeah I remember watching their first couple seasons when those were new, and it was brilliant. Went ahead and checked out season 10 after seeing them pop up in this thread, and let's just say it was disappointing as best and downright intolerable at worst. Their commentary has really taken a dive since they spend the first half of each video doing a bunch of really bad in-jokes and sophomoric banter.

I really wasn't kidding when I said that we had already discussed all of the episodes worth watching. :v:

Maximus Black is notorious and relatively unliked in the SC2 community. While I guess you could call him "divisive," I think it's more that his fans are relatively outspoken. Sorta like avilo's fans. Or IdrA's fans. Or NaNiwa's fans.

Ugh. Let's get back to the LP soon, eh Raldan? This is making me feel bad.

:negative:

Synastren
Nov 8, 2005

Bad at Starcraft 2.
Better at psychology.
Psychology Megathread

Kaboom Dragoon posted:

I cannot get over how much they sound like two of the guys from Whitest Kids U Know. But Canadian. And one of them's black.

And even less funny. :v:

Synastren
Nov 8, 2005

Bad at Starcraft 2.
Better at psychology.
Psychology Megathread

chiasaur11 posted:

So, am I missing something, or is this mission ransacking a religious site, stealing sacred artifacts/space drugs, and murdering priests on the grounds that "Hey, we can get money for it!"

WHILE the galaxy is under threat from an aggressive homogenizing swarm, and any alliance with the Protoss, required for any long term victory, is fragile enough a move like this puts it at significant risk?

Raynor, has anyone told you you're kind of a lovely person?

Well, for what it's worth, the particular religious sect of Protoss that we just pilfered are giant dickbags who also hate the main Protoss civilization. Think of them as the spliteriest of splinter groups.

But otherwise, yeah, basically. Raynor is trying to raise his own army, and that requires funding, so if he's gotta steal some smack from some junkie aliens to finance his war machine to kill the bugs, he'll do it.

Synastren
Nov 8, 2005

Bad at Starcraft 2.
Better at psychology.
Psychology Megathread

chiasaur11 posted:

I kinda figured they'd reveal something like that later, but for the moment, Raynor doesn't seem to know that.

And it's not like it'd be hard to have a line like "Jimmy, these ain't your buddies. They huff kittens to get in the proper mood for killin' everything that ain't them. Fuckin' them over is a favor to the galaxy."

Jim's reasoning given for "You should leave us alone" was "Hey, we want to steal your stuff. That cool?" not "Well, considering how big of dickbags you are, I think we're neither of us in a position to judge."

He may not be in the wrong, but it's only by coincidence.

I suppose that's true, but to the best of his knowledge, terrazine is widely available on the planet, and he just wants to take some. It'd be kinda like me taking a flower out of your yard, then you trying to murder me with lasers.

Besides, it's not like Terrans are known for their multi-cultural tolerance and understanding... :v:

Synastren
Nov 8, 2005

Bad at Starcraft 2.
Better at psychology.
Psychology Megathread

Anatharon posted:

The Goliath and (Non-Dominion) Merc Goliath are based off of two of sc 2 devs. :ms:

To be clear, the unit portraits are. The units themselves [probably] aren't.

apostateCourier posted:

Hang on. Does Multi-Lock + Ares make Goliaths basically hard-counter Colossus?

The hard counter to colossi hasn't been added to our arsenal yet. Goliaths are good anti-air units, though, and colos are big enough that AA hits them. If the colos get the range upgrade that is available to them, they will have the same rage as an Ares-upgraded Goliath's AA (and outrange the underwhelming ground-to-ground attack).

Synastren
Nov 8, 2005

Bad at Starcraft 2.
Better at psychology.
Psychology Megathread

The_Frag_Man posted:

No idea what you guys are talking about. :psyduck:

Don't worry too much; we'll get to it when we get to it.

Of course, we won't cover it until Heart of the Swarm, but we should probably stop doing stupid oblique hints for things that won't happen in the LP for months. It makes the thread difficult to read, especially for people who haven't played the campaign.

Synastren
Nov 8, 2005

Bad at Starcraft 2.
Better at psychology.
Psychology Megathread

Jolan posted:

Anyway, you're right, let's drop it for now and focus on fishing for another LP update.

It was a big update, so you might need to reel really hard to make sure to get it in the boat!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Synastren
Nov 8, 2005

Bad at Starcraft 2.
Better at psychology.
Psychology Megathread

RareAcumen posted:

God, I can't wait till the LP gets to these places so I can/ understand what the hell everyone's talking about/ read those spoilers.

If it makes you feel better, the spoilers on this page are all with regards to one specific mission. On the other hand, they are talking about the mission gimmick. The latest one is just the name of the unit, though.

Let me reiterate this very important thing from the OP:

Raldan posted:

All spoilers from Starcraft and Brood War are fair game, but nothing in SC2 that the LP has not gotten to yet. I know you have your opinions on how SC2 ruined the masterpiece of storytelling that was Brood War because reasons, but wait until we get to that point before complaining. The current playerbase for SC2 is pretty much solely multiplayer based, so comparing singleplayer and multiplayer is fine, but try not to get too sidetracked. Anything not LP related should be taken to A Blizzard Subforum.

Cut back on the spoilers guys.

• Locked thread