Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

toby should delete half the pages every time it hits 1000.

edit: lmaoooo http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/technology-26031331

A tag that shows an item's price in virtual currency Bitcoin and updates itself depending on market fluctuations has been shown off in east London.

BitTag uses wireless technology to connect to the internet and check the value of Bitcoin, altering the tag display once a minute.

Its creator hopes it will allow shops put off by Bitcoin's volatility to adopt the virtual currency.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

http://motherboard.vice.com/blog/in-one-month-everyone-in-iceland-will-own-cryptocurrency

The cryptocurrency craze spun into a new realm of ridiculous with Kanyecoin, Dogecoin, Ron Paul Coin and the bounty of other clone-coins that sprung up to ride the Bitcoin wave. But the latest altcoin to enter the market, Auroracoin, wants to take the futurist trend back to its cryptoanarchist roots. The altcoin was designed specifically for Iceland, and the creator plans to give every citizen of the Nordic country a digital handful of Auroracoins to kickstart their use.

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

Excellent.

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

Hail butts

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

A second deposit has hit the bitstamp.

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

why

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

I'm dying squirtle

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

quote:

MT.GOX 318.00
high: 531.96 low: 302.00 avg: 422.53
:eyepop:

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

flyboi posted:

he refuses to cash out because he's gonna get super rich or something

We've seen how much luck UberJumper's friend had though.

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

TVarmy posted:

Long story short, Atlas was a weird teen who kept coming up with dumb ideas and getting in fights on BitcoinTalk, so he'd get banned and create a new identity that was an obvious sock puppet because he talked like an Ayn Rand character who picked random words from the thesaurus to try to sounds smarter.

He also donated :10bux: to these forums a few times when he saw us making fun of him.

Someone thought Bitcoin Jesus was his latest sock puppet.

Combing through bitcoin's source code starting with 'What does #include mean?'.

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

Oh boy, yet another libertopian island nation. :allears:

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

I'm the suitcase full of bitcoins

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

Under 101. :toot:

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

By the time I uploaded this it was 97 lmaoo

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

Brock Samson posted:

True believers only in this thread.

I believe in bitcoin's intrinsic value of laffs

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

92!

just blasted past that into 91 territory

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

Look upon my butts and despair

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

Here you go thread.

Synthbuttrange fucked around with this message at 06:42 on Feb 21, 2014

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

...! posted:

Byrne says that an offhand remark to a reporter in December about the site potentially taking Bitcoin led to massive press for Overstock, which resulted in a mad rush to get the payment system up and running as soon as possible. Thanks to Bitcoin payment processor Coinbase flying an employee to Salt Lake City to work with Overstock and “locking 40 people in a room for a week,” the site’s experiment was live months earlier than they had vaguely planned. And Byrne’s interest in the cryptocurrency was piqued enough that the gold bug cashed in “several million dollars worth” of the gold he was holding (for the inevitable zombie apocalypse/U.S. financial failure) to convert it to Bitcoin. He’s emphatic about that happening at the end of January, after Overstock started taking Bitcoin, to fend off anyone who might accuse him of pumping up the currency’s value for his own sake.

Yesssss.

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

anthonypants posted:

Bitcoin’s Apocalyptic Moment: Mt. Gox may have lost 750,000 bitcoins

I have received an ***unverified*** report from an otherwise reliable source, which is purportedly from Mt. Gox. The document, which is titled “Crisis Strategy Draft” outlines the current situation at the exchange.

I trust the authenticity, but have work to do to verify the document myself 100%. I will work to do so feverishly.

Here is what it says in the introduction:

"For several weeks MtGox customers have been affected by bitcoin withdrawal issues that compounded on themselves. Publicly, MtGox declared that “transaction malleability” caused the system to be subject to theft, and that something needed to be done by the core devs to fix it.

Gox’s own workaround solution was criticized, and eventually a fix was provided by Blockchain.info. The truth, it turns out, is that the damage had already been done. At this point 744,408 BTC are missing due to malleability-related theft which went unnoticed for several years.

The cold storage has been wiped out due to a leak in the hot wallet. The reality is that MtGox can go bankrupt at any moment, and certainly deserves to as a company. However, with Bitcoin/crypto just recently gaining acceptance in the public eye, the likely damage in public perception to this class of technology could put it back 5~10 years, and cause governments to react swiftly and harshly.

At the risk of appearing hyperbolic, this could be the end of Bitcoin, at least for most of the public. We believe in the value of Bitcoin, its potential to change the world, and its principles of transparency. Most importantly we care about the customers of MtGox and other bitcoin-based businesses who will be affected. The likely consequences will be larger than this localized financial damage, and we believe that the benefits of keeping MtGox stable and running outweigh the risks. This isn’t about saving MtGox anymore.”

This is catastrophic, and I am sorry to share this. I do believe that this is one of the existential threats to bitcoin that many have feared and have personally sold all of my bitcoin holdings through Coinbase.

To do so, and not give you the same information, would be dishonest and immoral. I am a risk tolerant investor, but I believe this will be catastrophic for Bitcoin, both as a currency and as a fledgling industry.

If this is a hoax, it is one that I am fully blindsided by. I fear, however, that it is not.

FEBRUARY 24, 2014 (6:23 PM)
#BITCOIN

two-bit-idiot.tumblr.com

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

Its what happens when it tries to get the mtgox prices.

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

Sniep posted:

someone post a summary of whats goin on

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

Do the gox protesters have anything to add?

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

Drone_Fragger posted:

So I missed 1000 posts, did MtGox finally implode as people realised they weren't getting their money back?

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

Where're the outraged posts about the snitching!

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

Help, police! Someone's stolen my bitboner!

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

oh god, gox lost their keys.

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

mod sassinator posted:

Wait, really? How could they be that incompetent?

I was referring to
With an untouched 50,000 butts in it since 2011, so I've no idea what the explanation for that one could be other than secret butt reserve or they lost that key, or deposited it into the wrong account. :iiam:

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

But it seemed like a good idea in cryptonomicon!

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

rotor posted:

i really want this to be the thread title but it's too long. Everyone please just use the power of your imagination and pretend this is the new title. Thanks.

A pretend title for pretend money.

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

twitch plays mt gox

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

Somewhere, a bitcoiner rouses himself from beneath his anime-print blanket. "I speak Japanese"

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

quote:

BAN 03/01/14 11:48pm Morganist Joined to solicit bitcoin poo poo. Corn Thongs Ralp

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

Picture a japanese woman trapped in Mt Gox's virtual office space answering phone calls from angry nerds. :smith:

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

Boxturret posted:

what when did this happen?

http://blogs.marketwatch.com/thetell/2014/02/27/bitcoin-exchange-btc-e-a-mt-gox-alternative-is-an-internet-black-hole/

Basically :iiam: who/where/what it actually is.

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

What is a btc-e?

We just dont know.

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

Holy poo poo this is amazing. Thank you for digging this up. :allears:

It's true, the laffs can only go up, up, UP!

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

A perpetual laff machine

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

I cant believe it. We're approaching the bitlaff singularity.

• Locked thread