Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Mitama
Feb 28, 2011

A light snowfall greets the city of Sunrise, as folks all over count down the last twelve days before Christmas. Can you believe you're already halfway through December? And what a month it has been! Syria’s engaged in a civil war, North Korea’s launched a ballistic missile, the World Eaters’ bombed another company facility in Mendel West. All the around the world, everyone seems to want to end the year with a bang. But as always, Sunrise doesn't too concerned about little things like that. Whatever terrors may happen now, they're always the promise of tomorrow.

Yes, for the people of Sunrise, tomorrow promises the release of the new Communication Player Pro! The latest in Sac-Nicte convenience, the COMPro features gesture input, a host of UI improvements and new specs to play the latest games! There's already hundreds of people lining and camping out in department stores all over Sunrise in anticipation for the big day.

That's probably why in the middle of your assuredly busy Thursday, you receive a message from Zahra that links to one of her social media posts. You know she always has something important to say whenever COMPs are concerned and this time's no different.

You also know that she loves to do contests like these, throwing money in for the extra likes and follows. Getting early models of the newest COMP isn't too far out for her. On the other hand, kind of out of the blue for her to do it now, isn't it? Past the link, the rest of her message reads like this:

If that doesn't convince you, nothing will.

THE GAME ROOM PRESENTS

Music:

Take My Way (Pretend it plays as the cast flashes in one by one.)

Cast:

Episodes:

TBD

Mitama fucked around with this message at 12:36 on Feb 7, 2014

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mitama
Feb 28, 2011

While Pollock's easily the trendiest district in Sunrise, it's places like Cizin Street that works in actually setting those trends. Everywhere you walk in this stretch of road leads to a parade of lively colors, fashion billboards, AR television ads and of course, computers, computers and COMPs. The crowds for the COMPro are out in full force, pitching camps along the sidewalk and trying to stay warm in the winter chill.

From here, you can see the ever-ubiquitous Wakah Chan Tower towering over the district's skyline. And since you're in Pollock in particular, the AR displays from the giant tower show you a clip of this new anime coming out next month.

It's sure going to be a terrible season for anime.

You agreed to meet with Zahra at 4:30PM at the back of the department store, a spot that serves as a parking lot for shopping carts and the occasional hobo. Still a few minutes early, though. You'd think Zahra would be waiting around for them by now, contest and all, but there's no one else around here.

Well, no one save for five other people. You remember them being part of the group message that Zahra sent to you. Huh.

Maybe you should find out if they know anything.

(Hello. Take a few minutes to introduce each other, consider what you would do with Zahra's favor to you, and chill out before I move on. Post your sheets in the first post, but cut out the fluff please. Let's go!)

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna!!!

quote:

Mitsuki Iwasaki/Lady Rekka

High Concept: Idol By Day, Hero By Night
Trouble: Sticks Out Like A Sore Thumb
Drive: I Want A Quiet Life
Aspect: I Am An Ally Of Justice
Aspect: Knows How To Sell It

Approaches:
Careful: +1
Clever: +1
Flashy: +3
Forceful: +3
Quick: +2
Sneaky: +0

Stunts:
Where Everyone Knows Your Name, Henshin!, Heroes Do It With Style!

Stress: OOO
Refresh: 3

Mitsuki checked the time on her COMP before taking it off with a slight sigh as she looked around the area. It was hard enough convincing Alex to let her come here alone, but if she took too much time here, she'd never hear the end of it. It's not as if she was running late, it was just that she had a photo shoot later today and she needed to get ready. It's not as if she didn't have enough money to get a COMPro, but even a celebrity doesn't say no to free stuff. Plus, if Zahra's message was true, she could help drum up the hitcount of her blog with a few photos. Anything for a friend. Being owed a favor wasn't something she was going to refuse either. Perhaps she could leverage a cameo on Akuma Sentai Youkaiger.

She gave a glance at the five people there with her. She recognized a few of them from around town. One was the daughter of the woman who owned the electronics shop she liked to patronize from time to time. A bit of a rebel type, but they were on good terms. There was a dark-haired girl that she remembered seeing at a few social functions, and an unkempt young man who she swore she recognized from a concert she held. The other man she had seen around town once or twice. The last person was a young woman that she knew well. A wannabe hero, she was usually a thorn in Mitsuki's side, though she wouldn't know about that seeing as when they clashed, Mitsuki's face was hidden behind a mask. She decided to speak up, hoping one of them knew something they didn't.

"I guess when she said exactly 4:30, she meant it, huh?"

Waffleman_ fucked around with this message at 16:34 on Jun 14, 2014

Staticpulse
Nov 1, 2010

Herein I have explained the operation of the sun.

Staticpulse posted:

Zohar Caulier

High Concept: Half-Breed Rich Girl
Trouble: Never Good Enough
Drive: “I care about you.”
Aspect: Traitor to the Cause
Aspect: Hair Stained Red

Approaches:
Careful: +3
Clever: +1
Flashy: +0
Forceful: +2
Quick: +1
Sneaky: +2

Stunts:
Money, That’s all I Got, Black Sheep, Enduring Soul

Mild:
Moderate:
Severe:

Where was she?

Zohar blinked for a few moments, only now realizing she had been lost in a daze. Last she remembered, she was at home on the internet. She was reading through her social media, shaking her head at the awful things people did and laughing at the hilarious pictures people posted. And then... that's right. Zohar went through her COMPs text messages, a cold sweat forming on her brow. She didn't even have to cycle through her messages, as few as she had.

Altodus Caulier posted:

I'm coming.

"Oh." She took a sharp breath. Just reading those two words filled her with dread. She clutched her chest and fell against the wall of the department store as her legs nearly gave out.

"I guess when she said exactly 4:30, she meant it, huh?"

Zohar spun around, stumbling over her feet in the process. There were people here? When were there people here? Did... were they watching her freak out the whole time?

"Y-yes!" She said all too loudly, as if she were an alien trying to convince the world she was a human being. "Um, yes, for that... thing. Early."

K Prime
Nov 4, 2009

K Prime posted:

Vincent Hong

High Concept: Huge Cosmic Dreams, Itty Bitty Actual Power

Trouble: Actually Pretty Terrible In Practice

Drive: SHOW THEM ALL

Aspect: Mr. Smartypants

Aspect: Totally Has a Book On This

Approaches:
Careful: +2
Clever: +3
Flashy: +1
Forceful: +0
Quick: +1

Stunts:
Ideas Guy:
Aspects created Cleverly by Vincent grant +3 when invoked by others and reduce the success with style threshold by 1. Vincent may not succeed with style when invoking these aspects.

Hong Secret Technique:
During any combat that doesn't explicitly prevent it, Vincent may choose to flee for a turn, remove either a stress box or a minor consequence, and return at a later turn of his choosing.

Fervid Imagination:
Vincent may declare himself an Expert in any subject you could conceivably learn from a book. His belief in his own prowess is such that anyone who hasn't met him before (or fallen for this stunt before) becomes convinced that he is right on matters related to that subject until clear and obvious proof is presented to the contrary.

Vincent lurks. It's sort of his natural state of being.

He reads the message again, the anger filling him. He's not a fool- he can see where he's not wanted.

Which is exactly why he's here anyway. Who does she think she is, telling him not to show? She should have known, known! he'd show just to spite her!

...maybe that's exactly what she planned.

That fucker.

Vincent lurks, stewing. He'll show her.

Ettin
Oct 2, 2010

Ettin posted:

Ibuki Hiraga

(theme)
CV: Sayuri Yahagi

High Concept: Cyber Punk
Trouble: Stand Alone Complex
Drive: Trouble and Her Friends
Aspect: Shadow Runner
Aspect: The Shockwave Rider

Approaches
Careful: Fair (+2)
Clever: Good (+3)
Flashy: Average (+1)
Forceful: Mediocre (+0)
Quick: Average (+1)
Sneaky: Fair (+2)

Stunts
Entanglement: If Ibuki Cleverly creates, repairs or mods a device and gives it to someone else to use, she can place an aspect on it with a free invoke. Whenever they use the item, she can aid them by spending a fate point to invoke that aspect, even if she's not actually present.
Quantum Tunnelling: Once per scene, Ibuki can ignore one obstacle impeding her movement if she could conceivably Quickly parkour around it.
Unified Theory: Once per scene, Ibuki can substitute Clever in place of any other approach for one roll.

"Looks like. Hope she's alright."

Ibuki is sitting on her scooter Shockwave, sick skull laptop carefully balanced in her lap. Might as well get some stuff done while she waits.

Corp girl, Whatsherface, Oscar the Grouch, Kaihime and Dorklord. Figured. Everyone who wanted one badly enough to come out in the snow was probably already camped out and wouldn't give up their spot. Hanging out with Zahra was usually worth it, though.

She glances up at Wakah Chan Tower and scopes out this season's anime.

"More loving moeshit."

Ettin fucked around with this message at 13:35 on Feb 13, 2014

devilmaydry
Sep 3, 2012

I only take special jobs, if you know what I mean.
Takeshi Kamuro

"Geez, rich little ladies should stick to their drat schedules."

The man leaning against the wall of the department store, looking almost like an employee if it wasn't for the professional aura he carried about himself.

"What a pain."

Takeshi then pockets his COMP(the little lady insisted he had one if he wanted this protection gig.) and takes out a cigarette.

"Ah, my last one. Better go to the Candotta after this..."

Cigs have been harder to come by since e-cigs came to this technophile city.

quote:

Takeshi Kamuro
CV: Takehito Koyasu

High Concept: Soldier of the Highest Order

Trouble: Always out of Patience

Drive: The Restoration of Order

Free aspect: Law Abiding Citizen

Free Aspect: War Tour Around the World

Approaches:

Flashy: +1
Clever: +0
Quick: +3
Forceful: +2
Careful: +1

Stunts

Marksman: When Takeshi has a gun or any military hardware, such as a grenades, he can use it to hit targets up to 2 zones away. The same weapon can be used for however long makes sense, or is dramatically appropriate.

Chain of Command: Once per scene, Takeshi can declare an aspect of his choice, as long as he has to go through an organization he's connected with to get it.

Arsenal Owner: Once per session, Takeshi can declare he acquired a gun between scenes.

devilmaydry fucked around with this message at 04:54 on Feb 6, 2014

Comrade Gorbash
Jul 12, 2011

My paper soldiers form a wall, five paces thick and twice as tall.
Kaihime

"Don't play tough, Ibuki, I saw you grab one of those limited edition scarfs at the store!" Kaihime pops around a corner to throw an arm around Ibuki's shoulders in a friendly greeting, just about bowling girl and scooter over. "Isn't this supposed to be a some kind of sweet contest with cool prizes? Zo just looks like someone ran over her dog. With a tank. Driven by a sad clown." She pauses to consider this image, then elaborates, "The saddest clown." She looks around the group again, checking out who's showed up. "Nice! Number six, just made it! Though don't they give you free copies of this stuff, Suki? And hey Vince, guess the world hasn't ended yet. Better luck next week!"

She gives Ibuki a slap on the shoulder then stretches an arm over her head, noticing someone is missing. "There you are Tak, that wall gonna fall down if you walk away? Where's Lady Z at?"

Comrade Gorbash posted:

Kaihime (Tsurugi Tomoe)

CV: Megumi Toyoguchi

High Concept: Short Change Hero
Trouble: Daft Punk
Drive: Rage Against the Machine
Aspects: Immigrant Song, With a Little Help From My Friends

Approaches
Careful: Average (+1)
Clever: Mediocre (+0)
Flashy: Good (+3)
Forceful: Fair (+2)
Quick: Fair (+2)
Sneaky: Average (+1)

Stunts
Trying Your Luck: Kaihime has incredible luck - both ways. At the beginning of each scene, she places the Get Lucky aspect with two free invokes on the scene. These invokes can only be used to reroll, and after that reroll no other aspects can be invoked.
Shonen Knife: Kaihime always has another knife. Her knives have 1 weapon die (if she rolls a + on the first die with a successful attack, it deals +1 stress). Whenever she would have a Disarmed (or similar) aspect placed on her, it is instead reduced to a Boost to represent the distraction as she pulls out another blade. She also starts every scene with a weapon, even if its in a place it would be hard to get one into.
We Are the Champions: Once per scene, Kaihime can spend a fate point (and a few moments) to make a special Flashy roll representing her hotblooded inspirational ability. For each shift she makes on this roll she discovers or creates an aspect, on either the scene or on one of her allies. All of these aspects have one free invoke, but Kaihime cannot invoke them herself.

Comrade Gorbash fucked around with this message at 17:36 on Mar 30, 2014

Mitama
Feb 28, 2011

"Right here." A voice peeps out of nowhere. "Sorry, just came from the vending machine."

How did she sneak up on you like that?

Zahra
Aspects: Trendy Tech Blogger, Rich Girl with No Day Job

Zahra doesn't look even mildly inconvenienced by the cold, just sipping away on her iced coffee drink. Around her arm, she carries what appears to be whole bunch of canned hot drinks like coffee and green tea and whatever else you can think. Guess you can get anything from a vending machine these days.

"Sup, Kai." She says, tossing a drink over to each of you. She has enough for everyone. "And here's one for Ibuki, Mitsuki, Zohar, Takeshi... Vincent." She tries to hide her slight annoyance with a smile. "Good thing I bought the extra one, then. Thanks for coming."

The emptiness of the parking lot invites a howling breeze. Zahra sighs.

"Can't believe people are still busy at this hour. Jobs, I guess. Oh well, you guys want to check out the new COMP?"

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

Mitsuki smiles in Kaihime's direction and replies to her question, "Well, usually, but the company decided they wanted to do a more streamlined campaign for the Pro, so I don't get one."

She perks up once Zahra arrives, catching a can of coffee and opening it. She needed this in this cold. "Thanks, Zahra. I'd love to see it. All I've seen is prototypes. I'm interested to see the retail product."

Waffleman_ fucked around with this message at 01:31 on Feb 6, 2014

devilmaydry
Sep 3, 2012

Takeshi Kamuro

Takeshi sighs, catches the drink thrown to him without looking, and walks up to Zahra. He puts his hand out somewhat reluctantly.

"Guess I'd better get a handle on the new gadget you're gonna have me use."

devilmaydry fucked around with this message at 15:01 on Feb 5, 2014

Ettin
Oct 2, 2010
Ibuki Hiraga

"That's a good show shut up," Ibuki hisses to Kaihime.

Then Zahra shows up. Ibuki waves and listens.

"Nah, no thanks. I've actually given up on technology. I'm going to move back to Inaba and get a job watching bears poo poo in the woods. Ha ha! Ha!"

Ibuki leans forward. "No but seriously comp me please."

K Prime
Nov 4, 2009

Vincent

Vincent, for a moment, savors the feeling of being right. Then he looks around at the others, and finally speaks. "Yeah sure. Free stuff is great."

Staticpulse
Nov 1, 2010

Zohar Caulier

"H-huh?" A small can sailed her way and she was too out of it to respond correctly. She could hardly keep on her feet; how could she catch a tin can? The soda fell to the ground and buried itself in the layer of snow at her feet. With a sigh, Zohar knelt down and picked up the can, brushing the snow off it. "I, uh, I didn't run over any clowns. I... I don't think I did..." Zohar turned her head away, thinking about how she got here. Strange... she couldn't really remember why she came here.

When Zahra mentioned the new COMP, Zohar suddenly remembered her post. She was invited here to... well, it was a contest. One she seemed to have won by mere coincidence. She might think it was luck if it weren't for everything else going to hell around her. "I, uh... okay..." She didn't really need a new COMP as her current one was working just fine. What would she do with her old one? Just throwing it out didn't seem right. "Maybe I'll donate it... that's a nice thing, right?" Zohar muttered, half-paying attention to her surroundings.

Staticpulse fucked around with this message at 22:25 on Feb 5, 2014

Comrade Gorbash
Jul 12, 2011

Kaihime

"Hey Lady Z!" Kaihime catches the can out of the air, pops the top, and shotguns it down in one go before anyone else finishes. "I win again!" She tosses the now empty can into a bin, and cracks her knuckles. "I'm totally up for checking out a COMP. I've been totally meaning to get one! I mean, a new one. It just, uh, keeps slipping my mind."

Comrade Gorbash fucked around with this message at 01:00 on Feb 6, 2014

Mitama
Feb 28, 2011

Zahra doesn't have anything to give Takeshi yet, so she just slaps him a high-five!

"Let's head to the store first. Can't have you testing cool stuff in this crappy weather. Plus it'll be a better place to take pictures in."

She locks her arm with Zohar's, leading her and the others towards the store. "Yeah, really, you guys can do whatever you want with them. But you gotta blog about it! And tell your friends! And you can talk about the features too, like how fluid the new gesture-based interface is. You don't even need a special glove anymore, you can use both hands to interact with the system. Can you believe how awesome Angry Birds is gonna to be with that kind of control? Oh, oh, and I haven't even talked about specs! See, they replaced the old processor with newer KMAP 4470, so it's now compatible with a 4G modem, which they have totally built-in of course..."

Zahra pretty much goes on and on like this all the way to the store.

Campers aside, it's a typical afternoon for Brightmore so quite a number of people are around to shop. Zahra leads you all upstairs to the electronics section, where posters for the COMPro, the new iPad and a bunch of next-gen games are plastered all over the place. You can spot some sneaky-looking types lurking around, but all bets are they're just trying to get a sneak-peek of the console.

Zahra leads you to an isolated corner of the section, where a demo of the new Call of Duty is playing nearby. A store clerk waits there with a paper bag next to her. When she spots Zahra, the clerk nods and promptly exits.

"They won't even deliver the units until tomorrow morning." Zahra pulls several white boxes out of the bag. "Sucks for those outside. But check these out."

Sure enough, the boxes do contain a COMPro for each of you. Curious, though. The design of each of your COMPro frames startlingly match to your personal preferences (cool shades, hipster glasses, etc). They all look custom-made too, no design is exactly alike.

"Guess they're trying out different designs at launch, too. Nice."

Mitama fucked around with this message at 09:42 on Feb 8, 2014

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

"I didn't think they'd do different styles." Mitsuki takes her COMPro out of the box and places it on her face. The design is sleek and trendy, possibly borrowing from some European line. How fitting for the trendsetter of Sunrise.

"Guess I better transfer my data." She pulls her old COMP out of her bag and starts moving her contacts and other files to the COMPro.

Staticpulse
Nov 1, 2010

Zohar Caulier

"H-huh?" Zohar squeaked as Zahra took her arm. What was she doing, grabbing her so suddenly? "W-wait, I haven't even opened my drink..." Despite her protests, Zahra continued pulling Zohar into the building and talking about the new COMP. She kept silent as she didn't want to interrupt the enthusiastic Zahra talk about the new COMP. Zohar herself wasn't really interested in it, but she was a master of feigning interest in conversation.

Eventually, Zahra got to her destination and showed the group the COMPs she had somehow acquired for them. It didn't look like any of them were specifically marked, so Zohar simply took the one from the batch at random.

She did a once-over on the glasses, but something Zahra said ate at her. Those people outside, waiting for their chance to get the new COMP... was it right for her to just walk in and get one like this? She didn't need a new one and was perfectly fine using an older model. But... it would be rude to refuse Zahra. So Zohar took the glasses anyway.

"Um, thanks..." Zohar said in a low voice as she swapped her COMPs around. "I don't look dumb in this, do I?"

devilmaydry
Sep 3, 2012

Takeshi Kamuro

As Takeshi opened one, he looked surprised. He picked the glasses up and looked at them.

"These ballistic glasses? Didn't expect that..."

Takeshi never kept much on his COMP, but he transferred what little he had and put them on.

"160 degree coverage, huh? I have to hand it to whoever designed this."

Ettin
Oct 2, 2010

Ibuki is probably the only person who cares about the details, and she listens to Zahra intently. When they get there she picks a COMPro Lite, because it's closest to her current glasses and she can carry over the dumb little chain she wears on them.

"I like these. They're so bad."

Ettin fucked around with this message at 17:28 on Apr 19, 2014

Comrade Gorbash
Jul 12, 2011

Kaihime rips into the packaging with the kind of abandon that would make fans of unboxing videos weep, eventually extracting a pair of glasses. The box has COMPro Sport on the side, and the copy promises that it will stand up to anything the user can throw at it and more. It even comes with a spare display lens.

"Nice! These look totally badass. Oh sweet, you can change the color of the lenses! Fwoooosh!" The sound effects are Kaihime's own. "These are great! I need to - woah! I didn't mean to open that, how do I... Crap!" Kaihime flails her arms around as she accidentally opens a flurry of diagnostic and preference menus. "What is all this junk?!"

Comrade Gorbash fucked around with this message at 18:49 on Feb 9, 2014

K Prime
Nov 4, 2009

Vincent

Vincent looks at each model with consideration, then picks the one labeled "COMPro Survival." "I've been reading up on the leaked specs for this stuff. Lots and lots of cool new features." Left unsaid but nonetheless heard is "and I'm not helping you with them, you stupid plebes."

On anyone else, they'd look cool. On Vincent he just sorta looks like he's wearing his older brother's glasses. If his older brother was also a total survivalist dweeb.

Mitama
Feb 28, 2011

pre:
Starting up Sac-Nicte OS3 for the first time... 

Initializing default configuration... DONE.

Identifying facial data and logging in user... DONE.

Connecting to the Sac-Nicte network... DONE.

Syncing data with all Communication Players owned by this user... DONE.

Establishing local network with nearby Communication Players... DONE.

Starting Communication Player Pro...

Starting with Kaihime, a sudden cascade of beta test configuration menus and screens flood in your displays, demanding you set your preferred language and calibrate your accelerometer and all that. When the OS detects that you have no idea what to do with these screens, it quickly sets them aside and materializes an AR assistant in their place.

By default, it looks and sounds like a tiny, floating Mitsuki.

"Welcome to the Communication Player Pro, the latest in Sac-Nicte convenience!" She cheerily addresses all of you, proudly presenting a spinning S-N logo as she mentions it. "I will be your guide and personal assistant, Mitsu-tan! As a first time user, would you like a tour of the COMPro and its features?"

Ettin
Oct 2, 2010

Ibuki looks at Mitsu-tan, then at Mitsuki.

"Pffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffff."

devilmaydry
Sep 3, 2012

Takeshi Kamuro

Ugh, another one of these things.

"Yeah, yeah. But first can you set the helper to the last one of these things I had? Should be in the data I sent over from my old pair."

Takeshi looks at Mitsuki.

"I guess everyone has to put up with some dumb job sometimes."

devilmaydry fucked around with this message at 17:13 on Feb 7, 2014

K Prime
Nov 4, 2009

Vincent

"Turn off!" hisses Vincent. "I'll figure it out myself! Or at least appear as something else, I-"

Some part of Vincent's brain that handles not being beaten up reminds him that a certain someone is standing right there. "-don't like the color blue!"

Comrade Gorbash
Jul 12, 2011

"That's awesome!" Kaihime reaches out and pokes her version of Mitsu-tan. "Sure, give me the rundown, mini Mitsu."

Comrade Gorbash fucked around with this message at 18:49 on Feb 9, 2014

Ettin
Oct 2, 2010

"I'm cool with it. Let's go, Mitsubitty!"

Comrade Gorbash
Jul 12, 2011

"Mitsubitty! I should totally have gone with that." Kaihime holds up a hand for an Ibuki high five.

Comrade Gorbash fucked around with this message at 18:48 on Feb 9, 2014

Ettin
Oct 2, 2010

Yes.

*AWESOME*

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

It's hard to tell behind her glasses, but Mitsuki is glaring daggers at the representation of herself.

"Are they serious? I swear to god if this was Tachibana's idea, I'm gonna put her through the wringer."

Staticpulse
Nov 1, 2010

Zohar Caulier

"Hmm..." Zohar seemed to be seriously considering the options presented to her at the start when the help app started up on its own. She frowned a little, wanting to configure all the options herself. She had plenty of time to learn what all of these things did on her old COMP. Maybe this thing was just a tutorial to help those who really didn't know what to do.

Zohar covered her mouth and tried to avoid giggling. She didn't want to offend Mitsuki. "Mitsubitty, huh? Okay, go ahead."

Mitama
Feb 28, 2011

Mitsu-tan accepts Vincent and Takeshi's commands, altering appearance and voice into a tiny, gruff soldier in their respective displays. The assistant remains in sync with the other COMPro units for the rest of the demo, so to them it still twirls around like a floaty ballerina and giggles at Kaihime's poking. Only it now also sounds like a smoking David Hayter.

Zahra puts on her own COMP and can't stop giggling like an idiot at everything.

"Registering alias: 'Mitsubitty'." Mitsu-tan nods, completely obvious to Actual Mitsuki's glares towards her. She proceeds to generate a wireframe model of the COMPro, while the background displays clips of people totally enjoying and using the COMPro in their everyday, scripted lives. A musical beat plays as well, the sort of synthesized droning beat that a giant, distant corporation would consider "lively".

"The Sac-Nicte Communication Player Pro sets a brand new standard to digital entertainment and communication, as part of our mission to connect the entire world through one connection, one network, one COMP. There's plenty of exciting new features for this upgrade, but let's first talk about how much easier it is to use the COMP. Originally, interacting with the COMP was limited solely on basic voice recognition and moving around object via a specialized COMP glove."

Mitsu-tan snaps her fingers, and a mess of augmented reality objects suddenly materialize on the floor. Paint buckets with different colors, sports equipment, a virtual pet dog, also a beach ball that drops on Vincent's head. If he grabs it, he can throw it around and bounce it all around the place, though obviously it can't actually knock real objects down. Zahra walks towards Takeshi and accidentally kicks one of the virtual paint cans, spilling holographic yellow paint all over the floor.

"That's no longer the case. Now you have an advanced AI digital assistant (me!) to better serve you. And as you can see, you can use your own hands to interact with objects created in virtual space without any special tools. Why don't you give it a try? What you want to hold in your hands right now?"

While this demonstration is going on, Zahra tugs on Takeshi's jacket. "Hey. Sorry to bug, but can we talk for a moment?" She gestures that she'd rather bring up her conversation in private.

Mitama fucked around with this message at 10:07 on Feb 8, 2014

devilmaydry
Sep 3, 2012

Takeshi Kamuro

"Of course. Where do you want to go?"

They usually don't talk too much, unless it's important.

K Prime
Nov 4, 2009

Vincent

"Hrm. Well..." Vincent is distracted and vaguely disgusted by Snakku-kun's odd behavior for a moment. "I guess... a book?"

Staticpulse
Nov 1, 2010

Zohar Caulier

"Anything...?" Hm, now what would be a challenge to simulate? Something that would really test its processing power. "How about... a life-size replica of..." Zohar looked around for an idea. And when she glanced at Kaihime, she got one.

"Kaihime. Can you do that?" Simulated objects wouldn't have any weight, so holding a model of a person would be no challenge at all. If it could create a model of a real-life person and make it look realistic, she would be really impressed.

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

Mitsuki audibly groans as the AI registers the name Mitsubitty. This was definitely Tachibana's idea.

"Hm.....how about....Lady Rekka's helmet?" She wanted to see how detailed the simulation could get.

Comrade Gorbash
Jul 12, 2011

Kaihime gives Zohar a bit of the sideeye. "That's just a little creepy Zo. You got anything you wanna tell me?" She turns her attention back to Mistubitty. "Can you give me... hey, make it a super sweet anime sword! A giant one!"

Comrade Gorbash fucked around with this message at 18:48 on Feb 9, 2014

Staticpulse
Nov 1, 2010

Zohar Caulier

"H-huh? N-no, I, uh, I didn't..." Zohar turns away from the group, embarrassed. "L-look, its just... I'm testing the COMPs capabilities. I mean, it is a pretty hard request, trying to emulate a person. First, it has to figure out who you're talking about... it can't just pull anyone named 'Kaihime'. And then I'm wondering just how close it makes the model to a real person. If it makes you all, um, fat and stuff, then it isn't very good, you know? I mean, a virtual Mitsuki wouldn't be a challenge to make since she's all over the internet.."

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mitama
Feb 28, 2011

"Just over here." Zahra leads Takeshi from the Call of Duty section to an adjacent one optimistically advertising for the Ouya. She adjusts her gold-plated COMP a slight, so that she can look him straight in the eyes.

"I actually need your help." Zahra says, with a bit more gravity behind her tone. "I won't be around after tonight. Got to go... out of town, best I can say it. I'll be taken care of, don't worry, it's just I don't need a bodyguard while I'm there. But I got a special job for you." She tries to head him off before he objects. "Should be okay, I think. Your contract's technically under my name, and it reads that you gotta answer to my wishes."

Zahra smiles. "Right?"

I want to compel the Restoration of Order for him to take her up on this, for reasons that should be obvious in a bit.

An AR book appears in Vincent's hands, one of many survival guides already registered to his e-book account. Snakku-kun helpfully offers free samples from another "How to Survive..." series that include a wide range of topics going from "Zombies" to "Gridlock Traffic" to "Dating".

The COMPros also project a Rekka helmet for Mitsuki and a giant buster sword-alike that towers Kaihime twice over. They look a bit too "perfect" to be convincing AR copies, but they can probably fool people at first glance. Pretty detailed, at least.

While Zohar tries to explain herself, her COMPro takes a picture of the nearest user that matches her request and generates a pretty good approximation of Kaihime with that data. The avatar faces Zohar, does the Kamen Rider pose and declares that "I'm a warrior of justice!" before she disappears in a mighty leap. Must be a stock animation.

"Being able to create an avatar using your facial data and reach others across the world is part of the COMPro experience!" Mitsu-tan explains. "Would you like to know more about our social features?"

• Locked thread