Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
devilmaydry
Sep 3, 2012

I only take special jobs, if you know what I mean.
Takeshi Kamuro
FP: 4

"Does it? COMP, display my contract and find who it's signed under."

Takeshi's contract opens up and scrolled down through a long list of stripulations, warnings against excessive gun uses, strongly worded(for lawyer speak) demands to stay far away from the dughter... typical parent stuff...

The gruff soldier avatar then points to the signature underlining it all with a "hmph", it was Zahra's.

"I swear, parents are too trusting sometimes... OK little lady, what do you want?"

Gonna take that compel, then.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Staticpulse
Nov 1, 2010

Herein I have explained the operation of the sun.
Zohar Caulier

Hey, it worked reasonably well! "Oh cool, that actually works. It even got your personality right, Kaihime!" Zohar smiled, one of the rare times she did so. "Should've guessed it could do that already, though. I mean, with this you could talk to a virtual representative of a person you were calling or texting or whatever. Is that right, Holohime?"

Comrade Gorbash
Jul 12, 2011

My paper soldiers form a wall, five paces thick and twice as tall.

Kaihime waves the giant sword around with wild abandon. "Huh? Oh, yeah! That's definitely cool Zo. That's really useful, sorry for getting on your case." Kaihime tosses the sword behind her and stretches her hands out in front of her, fingers interlaced and palms out as she stretches. "Okay, so what's next? I mean this stuff is interesting and all, but is there like, a quick setup or something?"

"Ibuki, I bet you know how to speed this up."

Comrade Gorbash fucked around with this message at 18:48 on Feb 9, 2014

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna!!!

Mitsuki turns the helmet around in her hands, getting a good look at it. This was Rekka's helmet, alright. She considers placing it on her head to see if it fits and if the AR allows for it, but decides against it.

"It's weird seeing an avatar of myself offer to create an avatar of myself."

Ettin
Oct 2, 2010

"Huh?" Ibuki looks over, one hand dancing over virtual menus and the other holding an AR model of Ibuki holding an AR model of Ibuki holding another, smaller Ibuki.

"Oh, sure, hold on." Ibuki dismisses her own setup and goes to look at Kaihime's.

"Okay, pull up your Options, then go to..."

Cleverly creating the advantage Ibuki The Setup Wizard to know how to mess with these things!
<Krysmbot> Ettin, --+-+3 = 1
Not sucking at the first roll of the game. Invoking Cyber Punk to reroll!
<Krysmbot> Ettin, +++++3 = 7 :frogc00l:

Ettin fucked around with this message at 17:28 on Apr 19, 2014

K Prime
Nov 4, 2009

Vincent

"Avatar, eh?" Vincent smugly gestures at the screen. "I looked into this feature on the net, so I totally got this. Let me know if any of the rest of you need any help." plebes.

He gestures. The Vincent on screen looks like what regular Vincent would be if he was crossed with an underwear model, and then crossed again with someone who actually knew how to use the shotgun the avatar is holding.

"Easy."

Krysmbot KZA, ++-++3 = 5 Cleverly understanding the system 30 minutes ago!

Staticpulse
Nov 1, 2010

Zohar Caulier

Zohar was pretty proud of herself for making that digital model of Kaihime, but right away everyone was showing her up. She expected Ibuki to be really good at electronics so that wasn't surprising, but she didn't expect Vincent to be so good. She thought it was impressive making one model while everyone else found it second nature. Not only that, but everyone thought she had a thing for Kaihime since she made a virtual model of her.

Just... great.

Letting out a sigh, she dismissed the virtual Kaihime. "So, is this everything? I really should be getting home." She had a brother to prepare for. And really needed some ice cream. But then, no one would be selling that today with all the snow outside. Could this day get any worse?

"Hm... actually, where'd Zahra go?" Zohar looked around but didn't see the socialite anywhere. Did she leave without saying a word?

Staticpulse fucked around with this message at 18:18 on Feb 9, 2014

Mitama
Feb 28, 2011

Zahra looks at Takeshi while jabbing her thumb towards the section where the others are. AR shenanigans continue to bleed out from those stacks of electronics and games.

"Those guys. I need you to look after them." She looks somewhat embarrassed to even tell him that. "There's a reason why I invited them personally, you know. I mean, plenty of people out there I can call on whenever I want. Not many of them I can call my friends." She reconsiders those words. "Except that guy over there, but you know, whatever. Point is, I hear things are going to hell out there with the bombings and all, and since I'm gonna be gone, I'm gonna get worried and poo poo. Call me melodramatic, if you want."

She grins, putting on her COMP glasses again. "Just... humor me and take care of them until I'm back, okay?"

Ibuki and Vincent place their aspects! They can invoke it when they need to access COMP features in a hurry. Might be relevant soon.

I'll get back to you once I'm done with Takeshi.

devilmaydry
Sep 3, 2012

Takeshi Kamuro

Takeshi took off his new comp for a second and gave Zahra a serious look. He brought out his box of cigs but then remembered he was out... He even forgot you're not supposed to smoke inside anyway.

"You know miss, I've had friends ask me to do things like that before. Except they're usually going off to some battlefield or a hell hole somewhere. Never expected a young rich kid like you to say it. Hell, you've got the embarrassment down and everything." Takeshi chuckles a little.

"Anyway, you mind telling me what you're doing? Even if you don't I'll do what you asked, but a little explanation would be nice."

Comrade Gorbash
Jul 12, 2011

Kaihime sticks her tongue out as she tries to follow Ibuki's instructions, which involves a fair bit of repetition and fumbling around, but shifts her attention to respond to Zohar. "She's talking to Tak 'bout something or other. And we should totally go get something to eat before everyone splits!"

Mitama
Feb 28, 2011

"Hmm." Zahra puts a finger under her chin. "Let's just say I'll be off looking for a rare, white flower."

"Thanks, though. You were always the most reliable."

"...the system also has compatibility with popular social networking sites such as Hee-Ho, Hee-Mail, Facebook, Twitter. To make your own avatar to connecting to these networks, you just need to- oh!" Mitsu-tan notes how Ibuki and Vincent already made their avatars for everyone. "In that case, this concludes the tour. If you have any further questions, you may call me up again or visit the COMPro website!"

The AR assistant just floats there idle for a second, then realizes something. She beeps up again to notify you:

"You have two notifications from your friend, Well of Urd!"

Mitsu-tan doesn't seem to address anyone in particular. You all have received the same messages.

Comrade Gorbash
Jul 12, 2011

"Well of Turd? What? Who has a dumb handle like that? Might as well see what it says though." Kaihime gestures to bring up the message impatiently. "Did all of you guys get the same thing too? Maybe Lady Z is playing a joke on us."

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

"Everyone got the same notifications? Must be some automated thing. Though I've never heard the name Well of Urd before..." Mitsuki moves her hand to open up and read the two notifications.

devilmaydry
Sep 3, 2012

Takeshi Kamuro
FP: 4->3

"Being cryptic, huh? Keep your secrets then. You owe me if I get fired for this, though."

Takeshi then starts walking back to the group, Zahra at his back. He waves goodbye as he does so.

As he puts his COMP back on and joins the others, he sees a recieved a new message from a... strange source.

"Who makes their user name a Norse mythology reference?"

Because Takeshi has gone on a War Tour Around the World, he knows what the Well of Urd is!

K Prime
Nov 4, 2009

Vincent

"Urd? Maybe it's those crazy Ásatrú guys I mocked on the surviv.al forums the other day," suggests Vincent. He manages to pronounce Ásatrú both exactly correctly and in the smarmiest way possible. "Dudes were convinced that Ragnarok was coming soon, trying to convince everyone that Valhalla awaited. Morons."

Staticpulse
Nov 1, 2010

Zohar Caulier

"I don't know anyone by that alias." Zohar said aloud. Strange that everyone got the same message though. Maybe it was some S-N administrator handle? "If this is some kind of virus or something..." She ominously intones as she opens the e-mails like the others.

Ettin
Oct 2, 2010

"Probably just a generic welcome message," Ibuki yawns. "From Sac-Nicte. You know, hope you enjoy our product, blah blah blah."

Ibuki opens it!

Also using my Entanglement stunt to place Commlink, linking my COMP to Kaihime's so we can communicate and track each other easily.

Mitama
Feb 28, 2011

Both notifications link to the same social media account. It's a blog you've apparently been following all this time. Since when?

The links and the latest posts lead to this:

When you open the attached link... it leads to a gallery of pictures from a devastated department store. Fire has spread across the electronic section, the ceiling's collapsed, everything's a mess. You see yourselves, as well.

Oh, that's not quite right.

You see your bodies covered in rubble. Bruised, bleeding, split open, broken. The lifeless eyes of each and every one of your corpses stare back at you in cold silence.

They're pretty convincing photos, as much as they're absolutely terrifying.

Mood Whiplash: Defend against a Great (+4) mental attack using either Quick (LOOK AWAY) or Clever (mental fortitude/rationalization).

Mitama fucked around with this message at 01:49 on Feb 10, 2014

Ettin
Oct 2, 2010

<Krysmbot> Ettin, +++-+3 = 5

"Haha, what the gently caress?"

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

FP: 3/3 Stress: XOO

<Krysmbot> Waffleman, -/+++2 = 3

"Th-That's in two minutes...We should get out of here..." Mitsuki reaches into her bag and grips at the belt inside it. Even if she acted right now, she knew that even Rekka couldn't get all of them out in time.

K Prime
Nov 4, 2009

Vincent

"Um. Hmmm. That's either some very good Photoshop, or the experiments I've been running in mental time travel have started working at the worst possible time."

Krysmbot KPrime, +/+++3 = 6 lol

Vincent stands and starts to leave. "Either way, I'm not sticking around." He begins to stride resolutely for the exits which he had totally picked out ahead of time, like a good survivalist, and not by just following the big EXIT signs because doing all that planning is haaaaard.

devilmaydry
Sep 3, 2012

Takeshi Kamuro
FP: 3->2

As the image flashes on Takeshi's COMP, a memory of the past comes back to haunt him.

*Ka-Boom*

"Urgh, Ta-Takeshi. You alright? Can you give this to her?

With a painful grunt Takeshi rips the glasses off his face before he remembers anymore.

originally got a 1 to quickly avert my gaze, but rerolled using Soldier of the Highest Order and got a 5.

"Well, i see where the username comes from now... the place where men's futures are decided and all that... Either way, leaving would probably be a good idea... come on, kids."

Staticpulse
Nov 1, 2010

Zohar Caulier
Stress: [_][X][_]
Mild: Freaked Out

Staticpulse, ///-+1 = 0

"Oh god." Zohar covered her mouth as the pictures displayed before her eyes. She saw herself... these people... all dead, lying under a ton of rubble. People she knew. People she didn't know. All dead or dying (hard to tell with a static picture).

Was this what Altodus meant? He was going to collapse the whole mall down on her? "Aaaaaaaah!" Zohar screamed and ran out of the electronics store. She had to get out of here, right now. She didn't care where she ended up, just anywhere but here was good enough.

devilmaydry
Sep 3, 2012

Takeshi Kamuro
FP: 2

"Wait, HOLD ON!"

Takeshi reaches out to grab Zohar before she runs away too far, screaming her head off.

Rolled a 4 to quckly grab the crazy lady

devilmaydry fucked around with this message at 02:32 on Feb 10, 2014

Staticpulse
Nov 1, 2010

Zohar Caulier

Zohar feels something grab her. On instinct, she whirls around and punches as hard as she can.

Forceful Overcome: Staticpulse, /+/+ +2 = 4

"T-takeshi?" Zohar comes out of her trance when her fist meets solid muscle. She looks up at the bodyguard, seeing him rather unphased that she just punched him in the gut. "H-hey, we have to get out of here!" She struggled against Takeshi's grip, but now that she's somewhat rational she can't escape.

devilmaydry
Sep 3, 2012

Takeshi Kamuro
[x][ ][ ]

Takesi's face remained as serious as ever, the pain he felt from the punch to his gut not showing through.

"Yeah, we'll leave. We'll leave quickly and calmly. Ok?"

He made sure to put emphasis on quickly and calmly.

"Zahra's already gone I think, so no problems there. Come on, everybody."

Takeshi starts quickly heading the same way Vincent went to leave, still holding onto Zohar's wrist.

Comrade Gorbash
Jul 12, 2011

"Hey hey! What's this crap?" Kaihime angrily swipes the messages away. "I'm not going to just take that! I'm not going down like some kind of chump! You watch-" Kaihime suddenly realizes everyone else is leaving. "Oh poo poo, wait for me guys!" She hurries after the others.

[20:22] <Krysmbot> Gorbash, -+//+2 = 2
Invoking Short Change Hero, so its a tie and a boost can be placed on Kaihime.

Ettin
Oct 2, 2010

Ibuki saves the picture for later. Hello, freaky new profile pic!

"Heh heh. Wait, are we taking this seriously?"

She hustles after the others. "Guys, come back! This is scientifically unlikely!"

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

Mitsuki follows after, still keeping a hand on the device in her bag.

"I should be used to weird fanmail by now, but I don't like this one bit."

Staticpulse
Nov 1, 2010

Zohar Caulier

"Hmph!" Zohar pouts, but doesn't struggle anymore. At least everyone else has the good sense to get out as well. "Urgh... can't you go a little faster? If we die, I'm-"

She pales. She doesn't want to remember that photo.

Mitama
Feb 28, 2011

Talking to Staticpulse over IRC, I'm compelling Zohar's freak-out mild consequence and giving her a Fate Point.

A few things:

1) You were in the second floor, so you needed to head down the fire escape in order to exit the whole department store.

2) As soon as you reach the ground floor, you get a message from Zahra.

3) Just as you finish reading it, you hear a loud BANG back upstairs. The ground violently shudders, enough to throw some of you to the ground.

What do you do?

EDIT: I would like everyone to make a standard Fate dice roll, no modifiers or anything. Consider it a "will to survive" roll for later. Ibuki and Vincent can also invoke their current advantages for this if they want.

Mitama fucked around with this message at 06:16 on Feb 10, 2014

Staticpulse
Nov 1, 2010

Zohar Caulier
FP: 3 -> 4
Mild: Freaked Out (used)

Will to Survive: Staticpulse, +/+/ = 2

For a moment, she felt a little silly when she read Zahra's post.

That was replaced with an overwhelming sense of fear when she was thrown to the floor by the violent tremor.

"We're all gonna die!" Zohar screamed, crawling into the corner and curling up into as tight a ball as she could. Shaking and sobbing, she wasn't in any condition to go anywhere on her own initiative.

Ettin
Oct 2, 2010

Sure!
<Krysmbot> Ettin, /+/+ = 2 And adding +2 for 4!

"There you are!" Ibuki slows down as she catches up. "No need to freak out, it's probably just—"

And then she falls over.

"what"

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

<Krysmbot> Waffleman, ++++ = 4
Nice.

Mitsuki loses her footing slightly, but is able to get back up quickly. A look of determination crosses her face as she pulls out a device from her bag and places it on her waist, forming a belt around her. "Keep back, everyone! Tachi Driver, on!"

A computerized female voice responds in kind, "Driver on! Rekka system engaged! Ready to henshin!" Mitsuki runs her hand over the front of the device and strikes a heroic pose.

"TRANSFORM!"

"Let's GO!" The belt cries out in a chipper voice before Mitsuki is engulfed by light, revealing a new figure when the light fades.

Waffleman_ fucked around with this message at 23:25 on Feb 10, 2014

K Prime
Nov 4, 2009

Vincent
FP:2
<Krysmbot> KZA, /--- = -3 DRIVE INVOKE, aspect +2 = 5

"It's just a little... bomb... in a mall... poo poo."

Vincent suddenly realizes the seriousness of the situation.

"Uuuuh, Avatar! Fastest exit without passing under that damage, now!"

A big honkin' glowing arrow shows up on his screen. After a moment's thought, he shares it with the others, just to demonstrate his prowess. "C'mon!"

devilmaydry
Sep 3, 2012

Takeshi Kamuro
[x][ ][ ]

"What the-"

Takeshi looks at Mitsuki for a second, then at Zohar wailing in a ball.

He then picks Zohar up and carries her while also following Vincent.

"Ok, time to drop the calmly and just get out quickly."

Rolled a -2, but then invoked my Drive to reverse it to a 2. I'm also refunding the Tour Around the World invoke because I'm... not sure what to do with that.

Comrade Gorbash
Jul 12, 2011

"You're Lady Rekka!?" Kaihime isn't quite sure whether to be impressed or pissed off, but she knows what she needs to do. She hauls Ibuki up and throws her over a shoulder. "You aren't the only hero around here! We need to work together. I got Ibuki, Tak's got Zo, and Vincent's got the directions, so that leaves you clearing the way out! Let's go!"

With that, Kaihime takes off after Takeshi.

[20:22][16:26] <Krysmbot> Gorbash, +/++ = 3

Mitama
Feb 28, 2011

Vincent leads them around the store, as far away from the explosion, the electronics section and the spreading fire as possible. Any hopes that the second floor may stay intact after all this fades when another chain of explosions rock the mall. You can hear the ceiling come down at the far end, bringing down the electronics section and pretty much half the second floor along with it. A whole mess of dust and debris fly everywhere.

But you manage to elude that trap! And the arrow leads straight to the exit at the south end of the store, right where you came in! All you need to do is jump right out and...

The ceiling comes down in front of you, blocking the exit. What drops down from the hole above is a creature that shines brighter than the noonday sun.

"Hmm. There you are." The golden man speaks with an disinterested tone. "The other girl seemed like trouble, but all I see here are just mere humans. Very well."

He snaps his fingers. A bright, miniature sun materializes over his head and flies towards the ceiling.

"Fate demands this den of sin to become your tomb. It is inevitable."

When the tiny sun explodes, you see concrete and steel above come down towards you.

It comes down too fast.

I just need exactly one more post from anyone to end this part of Day 0. Thanks.

K Prime
Nov 4, 2009

Vincent

"Well gently caress me, looks like the fortuneteller was right-"

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mitama
Feb 28, 2011

Do you even feel any pain when the ceiling comes down?

The debris smashes you apart in dull thumps, buries you in a massive weight. You can feel every bone in your body grind to dust. A steel wire pierces your lungs. You can't even see your friends fall, since your eyes are blind from the dirt by then. It's a really bad way to die.

But you don't even feel the pain.

(The next part is coming up, don't post yet. Thanks.)

Mitama fucked around with this message at 11:37 on Feb 11, 2014

• Locked thread