Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
during which ancient egyptian month will blackberry die?
thout
paopi
hathor
koiak
tobi
meshir
paremhat
paremoude
pashons
paoni
epip
mesori
gasthred
banop
RIM'S GONNA KEEP GOING BABY!!!
View Results

• Locked thread
Cocoa Crispies
Jul 20, 2001

Vehicular Manslaughter!

Pillbug

Nelson MandEULA posted:

get off my turf, crispies!

lmao

it's never not been my turf

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Asymmetric POSTer
Aug 17, 2005

lol we've been predicting rim death for over 2 years

long live rim

Cold on a Cob
Feb 6, 2006

i've seen so much, i'm going blind
and i'm brain dead virtually

College Slice
rim has pretty much been a zombie for three years

57Hz
Jan 27, 2009

A white-noise buzzing sound.
october 22, 2015

Notorious b.s.d.
Jan 25, 2003

by Reene
21st june '14

just in time for summer

buttcrackmenace
Nov 14, 2007

see its right there in the manual where it says
Grimey Drawer
voted all gently caress yr poll

but yeah, Feb 1 2015

Squeezy Farm
Jun 16, 2009
we all thought Blackberry would be outta here last year, but it's still around. time to start betting on a new date for the aging phone company to shut down. buckle up! if the previous thread is any indication we're in for a wild ride!

Squeezy Farm
Jun 16, 2009
can't believe it's been 2 years since we started guessing the date Blackberry (NASDAQ: BBRY 9.88-0.08 (-0.80%)) would shut down for good. we had a lot of laughs discussing the failures of the bad phone company in 2012, and again in 2013, but somehow they've stuck around despite our derisive remarks each year. looking forward to seeing what mistakes the company makes this year and the good jokes we come up with!

Stereotype
Apr 24, 2010

College Slice
this isn't a joke, they make terrible phones

Cocoa Crispies
Jul 20, 2001

Vehicular Manslaughter!

Pillbug

Epic Hamcat posted:

can't believe it's been 2 years since we started guessing the date Blackberry (NASDAQ: BBRY 9.88-0.08 (-0.80%)) would shut down for good. we had a lot of laughs discussing the failures of the bad phone company in 2012, and again in 2013, but somehow they've stuck around despite our derisive remarks each year. looking forward to seeing what mistakes the company makes this year and the good jokes we come up with!

thank you for sharing that cool story, my brother

Moo Cowabunga
Jun 15, 2009

[Office Worker.

i like stories

pram
Jun 10, 2001
Sunday, 4 December 292,277,026,596

Moo Cowabunga
Jun 15, 2009

[Office Worker.

heh, thats pram alright

LP0 ON FIRE
Jan 25, 2006

beep boop
heh, pram was right

Nelson MandEULA
Feb 27, 2011

"...the biggest shitbag
I have ever met."

the malaysia sun posted:

THE last few years have not been kind to BlackBerry.

From being the definitive smartphone in the market, the Canadian company is now a struggling shadow of its former self, having all but lost the fight against other more robust mobile device brands.

However, BlackBerry still has enough loyal customers, particularly in developing markets in Asia. The company also has a positive reputation among enterprise customers globally.

With this in mind, BlackBerry has decided to focus on enterprise solutions rather than consumer products, particularly with its most recent programme, BlackBerry Enterprise Service 10 (BES10).

At a recent session showcasing the BES10 programme, local media personnel were given a run-down of its capabilities, through a series of presentations by BlackBerry Asia Pacific’s enterprise business unit director Ian Gardner and senior enterprise marketing manager Adrian Rusu.

BlackBerry Enterprise Servers are acknowledged as one of the most secure platforms in the world for data files, as experienced by corporations that use BlackBerry mobile devices in daily business interactions.

These days, however, more and more companies are allowing employees to BYOD (bring-your-own-device).

To adapt to this changing work environment, BlackBerry has developed BES10 for rival operating systems iOS and Android, a first for the company.

The programme is available as an app on each system’s app store, and uses the password-protected Secure Work Space feature to manage content and apps on both iOS and Android devices, separating work and personal data.

On BlackBerry devices, this is handled by a feature called BlackBerry Balance.

A demonstration of how the BES10 worked on all three operating systems was given by Rusu, who showed how users would be able to access their corporate email and share documents and files.

For BlackBerry device users, BlackBerry Balance is able to hide their work email and activities from the centralised BlackBerry Hub, keeping sensitive data safe from unauthorised viewers.

Once the user has entered the correct password, the information is revealed on the hub and can be worked on directly.

The user interface of BES10 among all three systems is almost the same, with relatively minor lag in synching to the server for non-BlackBerry systems.

There are three levels of enterprise mobility management (EMM) for BES10.

It starts with Basic for simple password encryption; then Corporate, which includes a higher level of security and simple tech support; and finally, Regulated, for more secure business needs, including direct on-call technical support.

The BES10 is quickly being adopted among business customers in several developing markets, and there are plans to extend the access to Secure Work Space to Microsoft Windows devices later this year.

Nelson MandEULA
Feb 27, 2011

"...the biggest shitbag
I have ever met."
or, y'know, u could just get a phone with a loving fingerprint sensor :c00lbert:

The Management
Jan 2, 2010

sup, bitch?
what happened to the real blackberry thread? anyway this is from bgr so

quote:

Good news, BlackBerry fans: your favorite phone maker is reportedly developing an absolute beast of a smartphone that features killer specs that crush anything else on the market right now. The bad news, however, is that the phone apparently won’t be competing with any smartphones on the market right now. Instead, if BlackBerry does decide to launch this screaming high-end handset, it apparently won’t debut until sometime in the summer of 2015.

A recent report from N4BB stated that in addition to the upcoming quad-core BlackBerry “Ontario,” the Waterloo-based handset maker is also developing a smartphone that will be powered by the 20-nanometer Snapdragon MSM8994 chipset. Among the platform’s standout features:

Eight CPU cores
64-bit archetecture
Clockspeeds of up to 2.5GHz
1600MHz 4GB RAM LPDDR3 PoP
Adreno 430 500 MHz
Pixel fill Rate 6Gpix/s
Vertex 500Mtri/s
OpenGL ES3.0, direct x11.1, OpenCL1.2

N4BB says its unnamed sources aren’t sure if BlackBerry still plans to launch the phone but if it does, the handset’s debut probably won’t take place until sometime next summer. While the idea of a 2.5GHz octa-core handset with 4GB of RAM is certainly impressive today, specs like these will likely be the norm a year and a half from now, which means the phone will need some standout user-facing features if it hopes to succeed.

future phone is amazing compared to currently released phones.

Perplx
Jun 26, 2004

Best viewed on Orgasma Plasma
Lipstick Apathy
ahh yes directx 11.1, that mean GTA5 on the new blackberry you heard it here first

Asymmetric POSTer
Aug 17, 2005

lol if blackberry stays alive long enough to order a production run of those shitphones that can be all be sold firesale style

Nelson MandEULA
Feb 27, 2011

"...the biggest shitbag
I have ever met."

The Management posted:

what happened to the real blackberry thread?

it was gassed so i started this one

graph
Nov 22, 2006

aaag peanuts

The Management posted:

what happened to the real blackberry thread? anyway this is from bgr so

future phone is amazing compared to currently released phones.

this handset is going to blow the competition out of the water by a country mile. game-changer. innovate

Cocoa Crispies
Jul 20, 2001

Vehicular Manslaughter!

Pillbug

Perplx posted:

ahh yes directx 11.1, that mean GTA5 on the new blackberry you heard it here first

it's like a lan party in your blackberry

qirex
Feb 15, 2001

bawwwww.txt

quote:

Late last week, T-Mobile emailed an offer targeting BlackBerry users on its network asking them to switch their BlackBerry devices to a competitor’s smartphone. As we were never told of their plans in advance, I can only guess that T-Mobile thought its “great offer for BlackBerry customers” would be well received. T-Mobile could not have been more wrong.

I want to thank our loyal customers for your commitment to BlackBerry. By expressing your outrage directly to T-Mobile ‎through tweets, calls and comments in the media and on blog posts, you sent a powerful message that T-Mobile could not ignore. Your partnership with our brand is appreciated by all of us at BlackBerry, and draws a sharp contrast with the behavior of our longtime business partner.

I can assure you that we are outraged too. What puzzles me more is that T-Mobile did not speak with us before or after they launched this clearly inappropriate and ill-conceived marketing promotion.

To the BlackBerry user community, I want to extend our deepest gratitude. Y‎our passion motivates us every day as we navigate our turnaround. And for our loyal customers on the T-Mobile network, know that we have an offer in the works designed especially for you. Watch this space for an update very soon.

Finally, to T-Mobile, I would like to remind you that our long-standing partnership was once productive and profitable for both BlackBerry and T-Mobile. I hope we can find a way forward that allows us to serve our shared customers once again. Notwithstanding the current challenge, we remain very excited about BlackBerry’s future.
http://blogs.blackberry.com/2014/02/blackberry-tmo/

maniacdevnull
Apr 18, 2007

FOUR CUBIC FRAMES
DISPROVES SOFT G GOD
YOU ARE EDUCATED STUPID

America's best carrier dot text

Pinterest Mom
Jun 9, 2009

they've figured out how to bring their fans back. this is the kind of innovative thinking blackberry needed.

quote:

BlackBerry Ltd. is seeking to win back once-devoted customers by bringing back a popular set of command keys that the company had abandoned with the launch of a new family of smartphones this past year.

Sources familiar with the company say chief executive officer John Chen will announce Tuesday at a mobile industry conference in Barcelona that the Waterloo, Ont.-based company will restore its trademark “belt” of five function keys that sat between the screen and keyboard.

This includes a trackpad and other keys that allowed users to easily navigate between different applications. The belt will appear later this year on phones powered by the BlackBerry 10 operating system.

The change is more than a feature upgrade: It is a symbolic gesture. By bringing back the belt and pledging to focus on devices with keyboards, Mr. Chen, who joined the company this past November, is attempting to make amends with BlackBerry’s loyal business and government customers.

Asymmetric POSTer
Aug 17, 2005

lol

mcnealys baby
Nov 3, 2002

ohhh here we go
blackberry currently paying to promote this

as of right now the site they are linking to is down and not taking web requests

also twitter ads are pretty expensive and you pay per user engagement, so this costs them money if you favorite, retweet, click on the ad, or follow that account from this ad

Asymmetric POSTer
Aug 17, 2005

gotta burn cash to justify your jobs/salaries as long as you can in the marketing department

time for a $100/head "working" lunch

Miley Virus
Apr 9, 2010

I have question

mcnealys baby
Nov 3, 2002

ohhh here we go

Miley Virus posted:

I have question

yes?

A Pinball Wizard
Mar 23, 2005

I know every trick, no freak's gonna beat my hands

College Slice

how the gently caress is bbry still in business?

Asymmetric POSTer
Aug 17, 2005

A Pinball Wizard posted:

how the gently caress is bbry still in business?

once companies get big enough they can continue to exist for years and years purely on accounting tricks and sheer inertia

when you're a multibillion dollar global corporation you've got real estate assets all over the world you can sell/lease back to yourself, investment securities and stock to raise more capital with, countries that will give you tax breaks to simply not fire more of their citizens, existing contracts with other companies that still pay out for years no matter how bad you are

it's magical really

Nelson MandEULA
Feb 27, 2011

"...the biggest shitbag
I have ever met."

Miley Virus posted:

I have question

CamH
Apr 11, 2008

http://seattletimes.com/html/businesstechnology/2022983919_fordblackberryxml.html

Necc0
Jun 30, 2005

by exmarx
Broken Cake

as someone who uses ford sync regularly i say thank god loving finally

Just-In-Timeberlake
Aug 18, 2003

Necc0 posted:

whoever made that decision had better start updating their resume

maniacdevnull
Apr 18, 2007

FOUR CUBIC FRAMES
DISPROVES SOFT G GOD
YOU ARE EDUCATED STUPID

Necc0 posted:

can't wait for the new version to drop so i can install it on my ahahahaha welp

qirex
Feb 15, 2001

MS would always brag about how many vehicles had sync in their financial reports [while ignoring that it's so bad people are suing them over it]

The Management
Jan 2, 2010

sup, bitch?
fyi the qnx that is used in most cars is basically red hat linux running on a qnx kernel. sync was so bad they replaced it with linux

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nelson MandEULA
Feb 27, 2011

"...the biggest shitbag
I have ever met."
BlackBerry CEO focuses on a turnaround, but says he'd sell BBM for $19 billion

There's some surprise news out of Barcelona today: BlackBerry CEO John Chen told CNBC that he'd be willing to sell the company's BBM chat service... for the right price. "If somebody comes to me with $19 billion I would definitely sell it," he told an interviewer on air. "I mean, I would recommend to the board to take it."

Maybe that isn't much of a surprise after all, considering BlackBerry has a market capitalization of roughly $5.5 billion. Of course, anyone comparing BBM to WhatsApp ought to have their head examined. BlackBerry's messaging client — unlike Facebook's latest acquisition — isn't a growth business, and it has less than 20 percent the active users of WhatsApp.

But Chen has other plans to turn Blackberry around other than waiting for a fantasy offer for BBM. In an extensive profile from The Globe and Mail, Chen has reiterated many of the turnaround plans he enumerated when he took over last year. Namely, that means instilling confidence in consumers and investors that the company isn't going to run out of cash (it won't, thanks to a recent $1.25 billion in funding), and a focus on enterprise, where the lion's share of the company's revenues come from.

That latter point includes a few steps, one of which is mobile hardware. As Chen says "I think devices are still one component of the solution," though it's not clear how much longer that will be the case. In the meantime, that means making devices that make enterprise customers happy, and we've seen the first step in that process today at Mobile World Congress 2014 (MWC), where the company announced a new keyboard-equipped BlackBerry 10 device with the well-known menu, back, send, and end keys of old, as well as a trackpad.

Another part of the focus on enterprise will manifest itself in advancing its mobile security solutions for large businesses by integrating certain industry-specific tools on the server side alongside BlackBerry's legendary email and chat services. Details aren't available in the Globe and Mail article, but it's clear that Chen sees a market in industries like health care, banking, and insurance, where security is a particular concern. Outside of enterprise, Chen plans to invest and grow BBM and QNX, the company's operating system for embedded commercial solutions.

In all, BlackBerry still has a big hole to dig out of, and it seems Chen is well aware of that — even if he has a positive outlook. As he tells The Globe and Mail, "If this could be done, it would put a statement in the world. I think it’s a pretty big deal if we could save BlackBerry."

• Locked thread