Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
DoubleNegative
Jan 27, 2010

The most virtuous child in the entire world.

Hazo posted:

Still no luck on dog centipede,

For what it's worth, the dogipede story is in the Goonbumps book one of the previous threads produced.

Actually, I can't believe Amazon is still selling these things.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DoubleNegative
Jan 27, 2010

I finally tracked that story down. Took for-freaking-ever, but I did it.

If you have archives, I found it in the 2010 thread. (WARNING: Link requires archives)

The Legend of Dogipede posted:

I have a story that I hope is okay for this thread. I'm posting it here because I would like to submit it for Goonbumps and this seems like the central thread. It's not exactly a ghost story... more of a cryptozoological story. I promise you've never heard this one before.

About two months ago I was driving back from a friend's house. It was about three am in the morning and I had just finished dropping everyone off who was in my carpool. As I was the designated driver, I was completely stone sober. I'm also a night owl and usually stay up until three or four in the morning. This particular night was already primed for the unnatural. The moon was simply a sliver in the sky and mist was rising all around me and my Honda Accord as I pulled onto my street.

The street I live on is a bit odd and I feel I should give a little background of the layout and some of the things I've seen there before getting to the main story. The road starts at a higher elevation then it ends. Many of the houses are set quite far back from the road. Traveling east, the right side of the road is covered with well-manicured lawns and gravel driveways that extend off behind a barrier of evergreen trees. The left side of the road drops sharply into a rocky ravine. About 100ft into the road there is a small hill which drops twice, kind of like a roller coaster with a large drop, a small rise and another drop. After the second drop is a turn-off to the right into a planned community. The road itself continues on into two 90-degree turns before opening up to the part of the road I live on.

The house just behind the planned community turn-off is a place of note, and the main setting for my story. I've lived here for quite some time but I've never felt the urge to get to know many of my neighbors outside of my immediate area of my road and as such, I've never actually been to the house in question. However, it is quite a strange house. The property the house sits on is quite large, and like most of the houses in the area, this house is set fairly far back with a gravel driveway cutting through dense evergreen trees. There is a sign up year 'round which advertises Christmas trees for sale. This sign is situated right on the curb and is something I just happen to notice most of the time driving by.

Last year, the owners of the house apparently kept live chickens on the property. The odd thing about their choice to keep live chickens is that these birds were never fenced in and spent their time in the large pond provided as wetland in the planned community, or crossing the road to an empty lot across the street. This empty lot is also interesting in that for several non-consecutive years, it contained two or three sheep. This is actually less odd then it sounds in its own right as two miles away, there is a sheep farm (that is fenced, unlike this vacant lot). The sheep that would appear in this lot were strange sheep. Never shorn, never really moving. They always kept to the same area of the lot and would always be standing on a small hill, surrounded by dead grass - no matter what the time of day. The sheep would become massive over the summer (and this is Ohio, our summers reach 100 degrees by August, certainly nothing you'd want to keep livestock out in with no shade or care); until late July when the sheep would vanish overnight. It is a very strange house.

Now back to the main part of the story: the particular night in question was nearly moonless and mists rose all around my car. I drove slowly, keeping watch for anything in my path (there are no streetlights and no barriers on this part of the road, and people tend to speed). Just as I reach the bottom of the first hill, I notice something on my right side under the trees, and I apply my breaks because of some foolish desire to see what it actually is.

What I witnessed can be described thus: A long, furry white tube with six legs and a little dog face, lacking both ears and/or a tail. Imagine, if you will, a piece of string. In your mind, grasp the ends of the string and move your hands closer to each other. See how the string bunches? That is how the body of this... creature, appeared. four legs were attached to its hindquarters, the body of the creature lay flat and scrunched in a way that no earthly entity with a spine should appear. The creature's two front legs attached at a point about 3/4 along its body mass, and the rest of the tube-like body rose above, topped off by a little smiling dog face you might find on a bichon. The creature made no sound, but it smiled at me, and began to rock its head back and forth in the matter of a charmed snake. I stared in horror for a few seconds, knowing my camera was in the trunk, but every sense I had refused to let me unlock the door and get out of the car. Unwilling to let the creature follow me, I turned off into the planned community, and followed a twisting route that brought me back out onto my street on the other side of my house. As I retrieved things from the trunk, I stared in horror in the direction I'd seen the creature. In my mind, I pictured the creature trundling down the road, swaying its head and thinking thoughts humanity cannot even conceptualize.

I'd like to say that is the end of the story, but unfortunately it is not. Several weeks later I was traveling down the road again, returning from a martial arts class. Just at the crest of the first hill and with no warning, a baby deer came bursting out of the trees from the left side of the road. I managed to avoid it, cursing the animal and dearly wishing it would become delicious sausages instead of a road hazard. The next day I drive by the same spot again, nearly the same time of day. I happened to glance over and there is the deer on the left side of the road, completely exploded, for lack of a better term. Most anyone who lives in the Midwest United States is familiar with the sight of a dead deer, crumpled on the side of the road. This deer however, looked like it had been rendered by a wild animal. It was split from stem to stern along its belly, the skin flattened over the grass, a leg was missing and the deer's unseeing eyes stared straight across the road. This display was all lain out about 20-feet uphill from where I had seen the creature.

Fast-forward to yesterday. I was kneeling in my driveway with one of my bikes upended so I could work on the chain. Out of the corner of my eye I noticed movement which looked like the legs of a large black dog pass in front of my house. No human legs were in attendance of this dog. I stood up and peered over my car. Seeing nothing I walked to the end of the driveway and looked to the east. At the end of the road there was indeed a large, black dog with no attending owner. It turned around, gave me a hard stare, pissed on a light pole and crossed the road. Halfway across, the dog faded and vanished into nothing. It was theorized by an acquaintance of mine that the black dog may have been the "daytime" form of the creature I saw on that night.

Credit goes to mistressminako who posted it in the old thread.

I also have a request! A few threads ago I remember some goon posting a story about student tenements in Chicago that were haunted as gently caress. Anyone have that story handy?

DoubleNegative
Jan 27, 2010

ASMR Yodeling posted:

Is this the one? It's one my favorites, from here or anywhere. The original author was not tagged in the post I found.

That's the one! Thanks! That story remains one of my favorites.

Also some quick googling reveals that it's from the 2008 "Bizarre, unsolved mysteries" thread. Original author was apparently TurboBitch.

• Locked thread