Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Zomborgon
Feb 19, 2014

I don't even want to see what happens if you gain CHIM outside of a pre-coded system.

AnoHito posted:

As has been mentioned before, it's less "holy poo poo the expansion is so expensive" and more "holy poo poo the original game is so cheap."

Indeed, and it's still worth the $30 anyway. Seriously, anyone who's on the fence at this point, just buy this game. You will thank us in the future.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

kaosdrachen
Aug 15, 2011

Zomborgon posted:

Indeed, and it's still worth the $30 anyway. Seriously, anyone who's on the fence at this point, just buy this game. You will thank us in the future.

You mean before or after the first three sleepless nights of just-one-more-UFO ?

Psion
Dec 13, 2002

eVeN I KnOw wHaT CoRnEr gAs iS
Newer title with MSRP of $30 is more expensive than older title with MSRP of $30, news at 11

Roar
Jul 7, 2007

I got 30 points!

I GOT 30 POINTS!
Maybe I'm ignorant on the subject but j really don't think that EU can be classified as much to be considered more valuable than the base game. It seems to add a lot of neat stuff, sure, but in the end it's a DLC and not a game of its own. It'd be like charging more for Wrath of the Lamb than for Binding of Isaac or more for Old World Blues than for Fallout New Vegas.

I could be totally off base here but I've had the base game for a while, watching Jade play with EW doesn't seem drastically different.

Rick_Hunter
Jan 5, 2004

My guys are still fighting the hard fight!
(weapons, shields and drones are still online!)

Roar posted:

Maybe I'm ignorant on the subject but j really don't think that EU can be classified as much to be considered more valuable than the base game. It seems to add a lot of neat stuff, sure, but in the end it's a DLC and not a game of its own. It'd be like charging more for Wrath of the Lamb than for Binding of Isaac or more for Old World Blues than for Fallout New Vegas.

I could be totally off base here but I've had the base game for a while, watching Jade play with EW doesn't seem drastically different.

It's the razor and blades business model: You can't use the latter without the former, so they charge little to nothing for the base game to get you to buy the DLC.

GuavaMoment
Aug 13, 2006

YouTube dude
Why is no one talking about how The Bureau is 4 bucks? It's worth 4 bucks, guys, cmon. :(

Psion
Dec 13, 2002

eVeN I KnOw wHaT CoRnEr gAs iS

GuavaMoment posted:

Why is no one talking about how The Bureau is 4 bucks? It's worth 4 bucks, guys, cmon. :(

don't listen to this poo poo from KNOWN LIAR GuavaMoment.

Exhibit A:
X-COM Enforcer

quote:

This is the thinking man's shooter. A multitude of weapons and research options are available for your Enforcer to personalize your attack on the aliens. You fight in wildy varying terrain against many different types of aliens. Voice acting is top-notch, with many witty quotes from Enforcer as you blast aliens. It's basically the perfect 3rd person shooter.

Roar
Jul 7, 2007

I got 30 points!

I GOT 30 POINTS!
Exhibit B:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wRk-FUUNmbs

Jade Star
Jul 15, 2002

It burns when I LP
Operation Noble Huscarl

Polsy

Nothing hugely spectacular on the mission front here, but some neat things going on the side. Guava points out some risks in base management and air coverage. Some of our soldiers get put into glowing purple tubes. We try out our brand new version of Fred. It can fly. And I prove within the shadow of a doubt that Guava is actually British.

I do enjoy the map selection for this mission. I think the fan base really spoke up about UFO recovery missions. Until EW it seemed like all of the UFO's crashed in the woods and there wasn't enough variety. I still wish there was a little more, like deserts for Egypt or tundra for Russia, but this map is at least a good start in mixing up UFO crash sites. Not only is it aesthetically different but the unusual broken structures really make navigating around it a lot different than the usual forest map. Since each map is hand made by the game devs, it's understandable that there are not a lot of area specific maps but I think that is something that would have been worth the time. It adds a nice touch and a personal touch of flavor to the game. I of course say this with no idea what the development cycle looked like and how much time they might have had to make it happen.

I forgot so you get Felinoids notes on this one. With a few changes by me.

Felinoid posted:

Absorption Fields
+Takes any shot that would do more than 33% damage of the max health of the MEC, and reduces it to 33% or less
+Important note: that's 33%, not 1/3. An 8 damage shot on a 24 health MEC will do 7 damage instead, because it can't do 7.92 damage
+Acts before any other damage reducing skill is applied (Damage Control or AssaultMEC perk), and thus pairs with them very well
---MECs have so much health that this won't end up doing much normally. Unless you abuse it...

Reactive Targeting Sensors
+Essentially a free Overwatch shot
+Did I mention it's a free shot?
+Jade Says Works great with Heavy MECs Body Shield. Force an enemy to take a poor shot, and then get shot back in return.
-Non-sniper MECs don't usually have the best aim, often leading to wasted ammo (crucial for MECs) against targets firing from high cover Jade Says Stop hiring low aim people then, you scrub. Screen for high aim people to be MEC'd. Low will doesn't matter as much when they are a MEC. Also low ammo count on MECs goes away by Colonel level. Expanded Storage + Ammo Conservation.
-Keep out of sight of aliens you want to capture :argh:

Reactive Targeting Sensors is the clear winner here because it'll actually do something. I Agree.

BUT, if you want to really use Absorption Fields, you can get creative. Since it's reducing to a percentage of the MEC's total health, their health total doesn't matter much. This means that a Colonel in a MEC-1 suit can take 2 or 3 shots just as well as if he were in a MEC-3 suit. Where it gets interesting is if you add Damage Control, a flat reduction, on top of that. A Classic Sniper Colonel or Impossible non-sniper Colonel will have 7 health without Hidden Potential. +8 for a MEC-1 suit is 15 health. When they take a shot, Absorption Fields will reduce the damage to 4. When they take a second shot, Damage Control kicks in too, reducing that shot's damage to 2. This means that you can take any 6 shots (4+2+2+2+2+2=14) and still stay standing, far more than any other thing in the game. This becomes even more ridiculous with Hidden Potential and a 4 health Colonel (only possible on Classic+) resulting in a 12 health MEC, as they will take 3-1-1-1-1-etc. Only the tenth shot will bring them down. Crazy. Plus if you stick this on an Assault MEC, chryssalids and berserkers are basically neutered (though you cannot ever reduce a hit to 0 damage as far as I know).

The obvious question then is: "What if they don't hit quick enough to keep Damage Control up?" Medkits work fine on MECs, and doubly so on these low health MECs, since you can repair up to 4 hits (10 health) with one. If you get a pause in the battle and your MEC's taken damage you'd probably be healing them anyway. Meanwhile 4 hits on a regular MEC would simply mean destruction, and those medkits may be healing only one hit at a time on them, thus you'd be using them just as frequently, if not more so. Don't be afraid to pour on the healing between encounters just because they're not damaged as much as you can heal.

The downsides are naturally that you lose the abilities and extra Will of the MEC-3 suit, the build really only works at Colonel and with people of specific health amounts, and on anything below Impossible, making a tank MEC just isn't necessary. On the upside it costs a quarter of the Meld to get them into full fighting shape (50 Meld vs. 210), and it's really amusing to have a MEC that gives even less shits than normal. Watching chryssalids and berserkers barely scratch the paint is hilarious.

Pretty much on the spot, though Felinoid undersells Reactive Targeting a little in my opinion. Then makes up for it by way over thinking Absorption Fields. It's impressive that could be done, and could be scary useful. Most of the time however it doesn't seem like that it would ever be necessary. A MEC that can take ten hits is impressive, but normally if you are running a mission and actually get hit ten times, then something is going very very wrong. Ten hits is a squad wipe most of the time. It's still impressive thinking by Felinoid to create a super tank like that, but I'd say it's unneeded. I'd rather get the extra gadgets that come along with MEC upgrades.

Jade Star fucked around with this message at 22:35 on Aug 21, 2014

Rasler
Dec 30, 2008
Poor Scotland, forgotten again... :scotland:

Dareon
Apr 6, 2009

by vyelkin

Jade Star posted:

I do enjoy the map selection for this mission. I think the fan base really spoke up about UFO recovery missions. Until EW it seemed like all of the UFO's crashed in the woods and there wasn't enough variety. I still wish there was a little more, like deserts for Egypt or tundra for Russia, but this map is at least a good start in mixing up UFO crash sites.

Seriously. I was vaguely offput that the latest UFO crash site I went to was a pine forest in Egypt.

MadHat
Mar 31, 2011
For the see Aliens without them seeing you thing, I am pretty sure that it is because Humans have exactly 1 more tile of sight range then Aliens do.

Tendales
Mar 9, 2012
I never ever get tired of Jade and Guava trying to pronounce things. "Donair" :allears:

Also, pretty sure the shiv can pick up meld, can't it? It just can't open doors (without driving through them.)

Lazy Bear
Feb 1, 2013

Never too lazy to dance with the angels
I've always been of the mind that the Psi Labs testing is ten solid days of complete sensory deprivation. You either go Psychic, or you go insane. Either way, MKULTRA XCOM has a new weapon.

Pyroi
Aug 17, 2013

gay elf noises

Lazy Bear posted:

I've always been of the mind that the Psi Labs testing is ten solid days of complete sensory deprivation. You either go Psychic, or you go insane. Either way, MKULTRA XCOM has a new weapon.

It's actually constant games of Mastermind. First to get it on the first try three times in a row is psychic.

Last Transmission
Aug 10, 2011

I can confirm that shivs can collect meld. I was positively surprised when I was doing an all shiv mission and the game let me do it.

Felinoid
Mar 8, 2009

Marginally better than Shepard's dancing. 2/10
That's really weird with the Hover SHIV not getting the extra defense when flying, because it always did in my game. Seeing 60 defense on a thing is pretty great. Hopefully it was a bug on your end rather than mine. (Or god forbid they "fixed" it.)

Also, that wasn't a great showing of its capabilities. It may as well have been an Alloy SHIV for how you used it. Hover SHIVs are meant to be at the top of the skybox, getting the +20 Aim bonus for High Ground every single shot (meaning a 75% shot on that Cyberdisc or an even better shot on the berserker or mutons), and flanking dudes constantly like the commander at end of the video.

Stephen9001
Oct 28, 2013
Uh Jade? you seem to have forgotten to do a skill write up for the colonel MEC skills.

Mr. Vile
Nov 25, 2009

And, where there is treasure, there will be Air Pirates.

Last Transmission posted:

I can confirm that shivs can collect meld. I was positively surprised when I was doing an all shiv mission and the game let me do it.

They can also rescue civilians in terror missions :3:.

Rorahusky
Nov 12, 2012

Transform and waaauuuugh out!

Mr. Vile posted:

Beep boop, I am Goliath-1, the friendly murderous killbot. Please follow me to the Skyranger for... processing.

Green Intern
Dec 29, 2008

Loon, Crazy and Laughable

S.H.I.V. stands for Snack Holding Infantry Vehicle. Every single one contains a wide selection of chips, pretzels, jerky, and candy. They even accept US Dollar Coins! Shen really outdid himself with them.

Wa11y
Jul 23, 2002

Did I say "cookies?" I meant, "Fire in your face!"

Green Intern posted:

S.H.I.V. stands for Snack Holding Infantry Vehicle. Every single one contains a wide selection of chips, pretzels, jerky, and candy. They even accept US Dollar Coins! Shen really outdid himself with them.

Sure, they ACCEPT all US and foreign currency, but they only give change in X-Com Buttcoins.

Felinoid
Mar 8, 2009

Stephen9001 posted:

Uh Jade? you seem to have forgotten to do a skill write up for the colonel MEC skills.

That just means we can do it ourselves and see if he agrees with our assessment. :v:

Absorption Fields
+Takes any shot that would do more than 33% damage of the max health of the MEC, and reduces it to 33% or less
+Important note: that's 33%, not 1/3. An 8 damage shot on a 24 health MEC will do 7 damage instead, because it can't do 7.92 damage
+Acts before any other damage reducing skill is applied (Damage Control or AssaultMEC perk), and thus pairs with them very well
---MECs have so much health that this won't end up doing much normally. Unless you abuse it...

Reactive Targeting Sensors
+Essentially a free Overwatch shot
+Did I mention it's a free shot?
-Non-sniper MECs don't usually have the best aim, often leading to wasted ammo (crucial for MECs) against targets firing from high cover
-Keep out of sight of aliens you want to capture :argh:

Reactive Targeting Sensors is the clear winner here because it'll actually do something.

BUT, if you want to really use Absorption Fields, you can get creative. Since it's reducing to a percentage of the MEC's total health, their health total doesn't matter much. This means that a Colonel in a MEC-1 suit can take 2 or 3 shots just as well as if he were in a MEC-3 suit. Where it gets interesting is if you add Damage Control, a flat reduction, on top of that. A Classic Sniper Colonel or Impossible non-sniper Colonel will have 7 health without Hidden Potential. +8 for a MEC-1 suit is 15 health. When they take a shot, Absorption Fields will reduce the damage to 4. When they take a second shot, Damage Control kicks in too, reducing that shot's damage to 2. This means that you can take any 6 shots (4+2+2+2+2+2=14) and still stay standing, far more than any other thing in the game. This becomes even more ridiculous with Hidden Potential and a 4 health Colonel (only possible on Classic+) resulting in a 12 health MEC, as they will take 3-1-1-1-1-etc. Only the tenth shot will bring them down. Crazy. Plus if you stick this on an Assault MEC, chryssalids and berserkers are basically neutered (though you cannot ever reduce a hit to 0 damage as far as I know).

The obvious question then is: "What if they don't hit quick enough to keep Damage Control up?" Medkits work fine on MECs, and doubly so on these low health MECs, since you can repair up to 4 hits (10 health) with one. If you get a pause in the battle and your MEC's taken damage you'd probably be healing them anyway. Meanwhile 4 hits on a regular MEC would simply mean destruction, and those medkits may be healing only one hit at a time on them, thus you'd be using them just as frequently, if not more so. Don't be afraid to pour on the healing between encounters just because they're not damaged as much as you can heal.

The downsides are naturally that you lose the abilities and extra Will of the MEC-3 suit, the build really only works at Colonel and with people of specific health amounts, and on anything below Impossible, making a tank MEC just isn't necessary. On the upside it costs a quarter of the Meld to get them into full fighting shape (50 Meld vs. 210), and it's really amusing to have a MEC that gives even less shits than normal. Watching chryssalids and berserkers barely scratch the paint is hilarious.

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

Absorption Fields are the final piece of the puzzle that makes Sectopods complete non-issues. Take the electro-pulse, take absorption fields, laugh as it runs up, shakes off the strongest attacks in the game, fires the emp, then punches the sectopod to death. Adding in a sniper with disabling shot makes sure that two sectopods are worthless too.

RBA Starblade fucked around with this message at 17:58 on Aug 21, 2014

Mordaedil
Oct 25, 2007

Oh wow, cool. Good job.
So?
Grimey Drawer

Wa11y posted:

Sure, they ACCEPT all US and foreign currency, but they only give change in X-Com Buttcoins.

Which exchanges at rates of 1:1000 :negative:

zyxophoj
May 24, 2014

Mr. Vile posted:

"CITIZEN, PLEASE PROCEED TO THE EVAC ZONE. YOU HAVE 20 SECONDS TO COMPLY"

They can also disarm bombs built by aliens. Door handles built by humans are a bit beyond them, though.

Bruceski
Aug 21, 2007

The tools of a hero mean nothing without a solid core.

Mr. Vile posted:

EVACUATE! EVACUATE!

Jade Star
Jul 15, 2002

It burns when I LP

Stephen9001 posted:

FFFFFFFffffff..... Hold on. I'll get right on that.

e: ah, felinoid wrote something up. I made a couple edits and put it under the update. More or less he had it right.

Jade Star fucked around with this message at 22:36 on Aug 21, 2014

Zeroisanumber
Oct 23, 2010

Nap Ghost
Me at 15:00: Fire! Fire! Just loving... Gah! You're killing me, Jade.

Mordaedil
Oct 25, 2007

Oh wow, cool. Good job.
So?
Grimey Drawer

Bruceski posted:

EVACUATE! EVACUATE!

Explains why the UK surrendered to the aliens.

Bruceski
Aug 21, 2007

Mordaedil posted:

Explains why the UK surrendered to the aliens.

Who knew The Doctor was working for them the whole time?

Felinoid
Mar 8, 2009

Jade Star posted:

FFFFFFFffffff..... Hold on. I'll get right on that.

e: ah, felinoid wrote something up. I made a couple edits and put it under the update. More or less he had it right.

To be fair, I'm not the one who came up with the supertank build. I just stumbled on a thread of people talking about how the damage reduction skills interacted, while looking around at the MEC skills on ufopaedia when I was explaining EW to a friend. It was pretty drat useful in my Army of Four run, though. With only four people, you don't always have the possibility of crushing the enemy the moment you see them.

Glazius
Jul 22, 2007

Hail all those who are able,
any mouse can,
any mouse will,
but the Guard prevail.

Clapping Larry
Are all SHIVs that mobile, or just the Hover SHIV?

Speedball
Apr 15, 2008

Glazius posted:

Are all SHIVs that mobile, or just the Hover SHIV?

Once you get the Advanced Servomotors foundry upgrade, they're all pretty fast, though I think even regular SHIVs are pretty zippy compared to human soldiers.

senrath
Nov 4, 2009

Look Professor, a destruct switch!

I think the speeds are 14 (Normal), 15 (Alloy), and 17 (Hover). Advanced Servomotors boosts them all by 3.

NothingToFyr
May 22, 2010
I hope you all are happy. A combination of this LP and a steam sale have caused me to purchase this game, and I am finally learning all the terrible tendencies of random number generators on everything I hold dear. I can honestly say I haven't encountered a Hitler-class wipepout, but I can honestly see it in my future as potential. You are terrible people, and I thank you for the LP and all the hilarious and amazing things it has brought.

Bruceski
Aug 21, 2007

NothingToFyr posted:

I hope you all are happy. A combination of this LP and a steam sale have caused me to purchase this game, and I am finally learning all the terrible tendencies of random number generators on everything I hold dear. I can honestly say I haven't encountered a Hitler-class wipepout, but I can honestly see it in my future as potential. You are terrible people, and I thank you for the LP and all the hilarious and amazing things it has brought.

New XCOM is more forgiving on the panic front (now that they toned down the "shoot the VIP" reaction) so the main time you'll see mass death is if a heavy's rocket misses while you were trying to fire around cover (i.e. a little wiggle in end point has it hit the doorframe by your face). With only 4-6 guys, though, one of them going into shellshock or getting flanked and mulched feels much more devastating than the original, especially if that leaves the rest scrambling for better position instead of whatever you planned for them to do that turn.

sniper4625
Sep 26, 2009

Loyal to the hEnd
Wrong thread.

Jade Star
Jul 15, 2002

It burns when I LP
Next two videos recorded. Might try to rush them up or it might be a while. Today is my birthday and I might go on a little vacation to celebrate.

I think I've hit the point in the game where peak hubris can occur. The advanced tech and stuff is flowing in fast and I have the money to kit my team out, but the second wave of tougher aliens hasn't shown up to tell me to keep on guard and remove the growing feeling of invincibility from me.

Spoiler/Teaser: "Voices... In your head..."

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

apostateCourier
Oct 9, 2012

Jade Star posted:

Next two videos recorded. Might try to rush them up or it might be a while. Today is my birthday and I might go on a little vacation to celebrate.

I think I've hit the point in the game where peak hubris can occur. The advanced tech and stuff is flowing in fast and I have the money to kit my team out, but the second wave of tougher aliens hasn't shown up to tell me to keep on guard and remove the growing feeling of invincibility from me.

Spoiler/Teaser: "Voices... In your head..."

One day you're going to wake up a sectopod, whittle it down and run an assault in for the kill- and just barely wake up another one and a pack of heavy floaters.

• Locked thread