Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
kaosdrachen
Aug 15, 2011

Sair posted:

Fun fact: low profile lets you trigger mimetic skin on half cover.

My favorite combo for my covert ops infiltrator. Well, that and Gunslinger.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

64bitrobot
Apr 20, 2009

Likes to Lurk

Sair posted:

Fun fact: low profile lets you trigger mimetic skin on half cover.

Am well aware.

Lazy Bear
Feb 1, 2013

Never too lazy to dance with the angels
Jade, what you experienced sounds less like Ginger Ale, and more like Ginger Beer. And if you like Ginger Beer, I'd consider looking into Reed's Ginger Beer. I'm a huge fan of the apple.

Zomborgon
Feb 19, 2014

I don't even want to see what happens if you gain CHIM outside of a pre-coded system.

Lazy Bear posted:

Jade, what you experienced sounds less like Ginger Ale, and more like Ginger Beer. And if you like Ginger Beer, I'd consider looking into Reed's Ginger Beer. I'm a huge fan of the apple.

He kept swapping between the two terms, so I assume that he said the former and meant the latter.

Jade Star
Jul 15, 2002

It burns when I LP

Zomborgon posted:

He kept swapping between the two terms, so I assume that he said the former and meant the latter.

It said Ginger Ale on the bottle, but was way different than any ginger ale i've had before. Like canada dry ginger ale is good stuff, mild, smooth, refreshing. This was not like that at all. This was most probably Ginger Beer.

CheeseThief
Dec 28, 2012

Two wholesome boys to brighten your day

I'm from England and we don't really do root beer, first time I tried it I got it from a Pakistani corner shop from a brand I do not remember but have never seen since. I hated it, tasted like mouthwash, nearly enough to put me off the idea of root beer for good.

Last couple of years I've been living in Canada, however, and this thread was enough to convince me to get a root beer with my burger at A&W's (good burgers, like it a lot). I liked it so much I pick up A&W root beer half the time I buy soda, mix it with drinks occasionally and have started trying other brands. Boylan's was nice, I had their Red Birch Beer too, but I'm less fond of Mug's and Barq's.

I'd recommend the brands I've named to anyone from the UK that's skeptical to root beer.

Must Love Dogs
May 6, 2005

and the sky is filled with light can you see it?

ginger beers are great. you can make Moscow Mules with them.

Rick_Hunter
Jan 5, 2004

My guys are still fighting the hard fight!
(weapons, shields and drones are still online!)
You should really give Reed's a shot, Jade. It's got a really sharp and strong ginger taste but it doesn't burn and linger which is what it sounds like you are drinking. Only thing that's off putting is that it has a boatload of sugar.

Reed's is also pretty good with Crown Royal Black. Add some pickled ginger as a garnish and it's ginger all the time.

the JJ
Mar 31, 2011

Must Love Dogs posted:

ginger beers are great. you can make Moscow Mules with them.

alakasam
Sep 15, 2011
Goddamn it Jade, I just had a dream that my dad wanted me to get him some rootbeer. Your thread is infecting me.

Lazy Bear
Feb 1, 2013

alakasam posted:

Goddamn it Jade, I just had a dream that my dad wanted me to get him some rootbeer. Your thread is infecting me.

Welcome to the fold.

Lazy Bear
Feb 1, 2013

(Accidental double-post, my apologies.)

Bruceski
Aug 21, 2007

The tools of a hero mean nothing without a solid core.

As far as ginger ale, I drink Canada Dry for the memories. I used to always get it on airplane flights to visit my grandparents, so it tastes like love.

Fire Storm
Aug 8, 2004

what's the point of life
if there are no sexborgs?
Ginger ale/beer talk: My first experience with a spicy ginger ale was right after I pulled out of the store parking lot and took a swig, kinda inhaling some of it. Nearly crashed the car, as you could imagine. I was expecting something mild.

Also, Schwepps lime ginger ale from those fancy Coke Freestyle machines loving rocks.

FoolyCharged posted:

Mechs also don't get to play with training roulette at all. This makes me sad because I need to mod my game if I want to see just how stupid giving mechs sprinter would be.

Or the opposite, give classes like supports the punchy mech arm

Soylent Pudding
Jun 22, 2007

We've got people!

Blenheim with bourbon is amazing. Try that for the Exalt base stomp Jade.

Green Intern
Dec 29, 2008

Loon, Crazy and Laughable

Try a Dark and Stormy.

seaborgium
Aug 1, 2002

"Nothing a shitload of bleach won't fix"

I always thought that weird EXALT entry drop animation was their way of showing it was from a helicopter. There's an audio cue when it happens even, sounds a lot like a helicopter.

Doobie Keebler
May 9, 2005

I really wish you hadn't killed that muton elite on the first mission who tried to defect to X-Com. He saw the squad busting down the door and ran right out and lined up with them. It was adorable.

MaskedHuzzah
Mar 26, 2009

Come now! Look me in the eye and tell me - isn't this the face of a guy you can trust?
Lipstick Apathy

Must Love Dogs posted:

ginger beers are great. you can make Dark and Stormys with them.

Fixed that for you.

But in terms of ginger ale, you know who makes a surprisingly good one? The Winn-Dixie in-store brand for ginger ale is weirdly good - way better than most other canned ginger ales, in my opinion.

Negative_Earth
Apr 18, 2002

BeiiN AlL ii CaN B
Between the Blennheim, Fever Tree, and Reed's, you've hit some quality mixed beverage components.

Blennheim also has a "hot" version with a red cap in case you wanted to take your relationship to the next level.

And if rootbeerchat is being replaced with gingeralechat, try Red Rock Golden Ginger Ale. Bottled in Ohio/Georgia, it's got an aroma that's very.. blennheimesque.

Must Love Dogs
May 6, 2005

and the sky is filled with light can you see it?

MaskedHuzzah posted:

Fixed that for you.

But in terms of ginger ale, you know who makes a surprisingly good one? The Winn-Dixie in-store brand for ginger ale is weirdly good - way better than most other canned ginger ales, in my opinion.

I do like Dark and Stormys, don't get me wrong, but I like Moscow Mules more.

Duct Tape Engineer
Feb 16, 2005

Look at you, hacker: a pathetic creature of meat and bone, panting and sweating as you run through my corridors. How can you challenge a perfect, immortal machine?

Jade Star posted:

It's like an abusive relationship with a hot chick in a bottle. I'm so confused about it.

Would that make you Major Nelson, then?

Zushio
May 8, 2008
Chiming in on gingeralechat. As an Ontario resident I can't recommend the Presidents Choice store brand Ginger Beer highly enough. Hot and spicy, just the right sweet.

Speleothing
May 6, 2008

Spare batteries are pretty key.
Vernors, small label, or bust.

terrenblade
Oct 29, 2012
Goya ginger beer drinker here, I find that if you sip it slowly it burns hard. but if you chug there's much less power.
All in all a good strong taste.

Bip Roberts
Mar 29, 2005
FYI

Psion
Dec 13, 2002

eVeN I KnOw wHaT CoRnEr gAs iS

LEGO Genetics posted:

Next on the Ginger Beer list must be Bundaberg or Fever Tree.

because of this drat thread, I just picked up a 4-pack of Bundaberg. It's not bad - I think it's sweeter and less gingery than my gold standard of Rachel's Ginger Beer - which basically hauls off and punches you in the face with ginger flavor. It's amazing.

However, Bundaberg has clever lids on their bottles, so that's a bonus.

I would say "pretty good" but it's not gingery enough for me to say SUPER GREAT. And I even mixed it up before popping the top like they suggest. I'll see if bottles #2-4 improve this opinion.

Melanion
Jun 7, 2011

heard the walls are paper thin from where you are to where I am
I just finished the Classic run I started because of this thread. That was good times.

Also of note, I enjoyed my first ever Henry Weinhard's during the final mission. I'd only ever had A&W before, and while I liked it it wasn't a common beverage choice for me. I think I'll have to branch out and try some other root-based sodas in the near future.

Firaxis should probably have put a teensy bit of effort into sanitizing their inputs for post-game stats. Or used median instead of mean, or something. Those bitcoin/scientist/engineer numbers were hilarious.

LEGO Genetics
Oct 8, 2013

She growls as she storms the stadium
A villain mean and rough
And the cops all shake and quiver and quake
as she stabs them with her cuffs
The other bonus Psion is that Bundaberg is Australian.

Try the Lemon and Lime Bitters/Peach/Guava next if you can.

mauman
Jul 30, 2014

Whoever's got the biggest whiskers does the talking.
I'm not a big fan of root beer, but all of these ginger ales/ginger beers are getting my attention.

Teledahn
May 14, 2009

What is that bear doing there?

I'm glad that my local brewery makes sodas in addition to beers.

Basically if anyone ever sees Phillips ginger ale (they named it 'Sparkmouth') get it. It's great, pretty gingery and tasty.

racerabbit
Sep 8, 2011

"HI, I WANT TO HUG PINS NUTS."
:frolf:

LEGO Genetics posted:

Hnnngggh... Bundaberg Guava is my favorite soda, period.

Psion
Dec 13, 2002

eVeN I KnOw wHaT CoRnEr gAs iS

LEGO Genetics posted:

I did notice they were from Australia, yes. That LLB flavor sounds very interesting, tell me more.

Melanion
Jun 7, 2011

heard the walls are paper thin from where you are to where I am
In my game once I'd gotten to the point where fun dollars were no longer an issue I went even more insane with the hiring/firing eugenics than Jade did. By the time I was ready to launch the final mission, this was the entirety of my barracks:

(My MSPaint skills are beyond criticism)
All of them had 12+ base movement before abilities. The MECs are Heavy and Support, since I hadn't played Enemy Within before watching the LP and I had no disagreements with Jade's assessment of MEC abilities. I did get absurdly more use out of the proximity launcher than I thought I would.

My 'special person' ended up being the rightmost support because he went psionic first and thus trained out faster than the others. The other support and heavy went psi in the same testing and the assault was the only one to get it in a batch of him and both snipers. That final mission was a little too easy with six of these monsters, if I'm being honest.

I kind of sandbagged more than Jade did and waited until I had full specialty lasers and basic plasma rifles before doing the alien base, and overall I think it made my experience easier than what we see in the LP. I'd be interested to hear others' opinions on drawing things out vs rushing through story stuff as soon as you've got the tech to even have a chance at it.

Emissary666
Sep 6, 2010

Melanion posted:

In my game once I'd gotten to the point where fun dollars were no longer an issue I went even more insane with the hiring/firing eugenics than Jade did. By the time I was ready to launch the final mission, this was the entirety of my barracks:

(My MSPaint skills are beyond criticism)
All of them had 12+ base movement before abilities. The MECs are Heavy and Support, since I hadn't played Enemy Within before watching the LP and I had no disagreements with Jade's assessment of MEC abilities. I did get absurdly more use out of the proximity launcher than I thought I would.

My 'special person' ended up being the rightmost support because he went psionic first and thus trained out faster than the others. The other support and heavy went psi in the same testing and the assault was the only one to get it in a batch of him and both snipers. That final mission was a little too easy with six of these monsters, if I'm being honest.

I kind of sandbagged more than Jade did and waited until I had full specialty lasers and basic plasma rifles before doing the alien base, and overall I think it made my experience easier than what we see in the LP. I'd be interested to hear others' opinions on drawing things out vs rushing through story stuff as soon as you've got the tech to even have a chance at it.

For reference on how long I draw out my game, I'm pretty sure I was saw a sectopod in the Alien Base.

Armadillo Tank
Mar 26, 2010

Maybe it would be going to far but could we get a sarsaparilla, root beer, ginger beer, and etc post in the OP?

Rick_Hunter
Jan 5, 2004

My guys are still fighting the hard fight!
(weapons, shields and drones are still online!)

Armadillo Tank posted:

Maybe it would be going to far but could we get a sarsaparilla, root beer, ginger beer, and etc post in the OP?

Operation: Effervescent Bollocks needs to happen.

Jade locates the PEPSICO hidden base where he puts down the last bastion of lovely soda in the world while releasing root beer/ginger beer/sarsaparilla hostages.

Jade Star
Jul 15, 2002

It burns when I LP

Armadillo Tank posted:

No. I actually reached the character limit in the OP. And the second post too, I think. I may have to go on a root beer binge and make a big post of 'em after the final mission.

Jade Star
Jul 15, 2002

It burns when I LP
Operation That 70's Discussion

Polsy

This is a fun mission. The final mission to deal with EXALT. Really, any mission that Firaxis thought deserved its own map is going to be more fun than the randomly generated ones. This map to me says 'We are EXALT. We are a globe spanning evil corporation with aristocratic roots. We have money, lots of money, technology, and manpower at our disposal and we'd like to take over the world'. At least that is my impression of EXALT I get from the pent house office on a sky rise, the tapestries and art all over their office, the big giant hologlobe colored red just to make sure you get it that they are evil. I do wish the sky box was a little more detailed, like really crowded with lights and other buildings, or have the view go down all the way to the street. Or, as Guava pointed out, have it be a little more geared toward the country/city that is hosting the EXALT HQ. I did a very quick look of Chihuahua on google street view and I didn't see a single high rise building. Of course it's way too much detail to ask or expect of a game like this, but it would be amazingly cool of the EXALT HQ from this game was in a big first story flat office building. Just let the team bust through the windows from outside and whatnot. Obviously I understand the intent of the HQ is to make it look big, imposing, and fortress like. You spent so much time just looking for the drat HQ that a lot of the build up would be lost or soured if you found out you could have driven a car over to it's parking lot in Chihuahua and then just breached it like a SWAT team.

Mechanically it doesn't play out much different than any other EXALT mission other than two small changes. EXALT will not get reinforcement as the map goes, and the forces on the map are preplaced and patrolling, just like the normal alien AI on most maps. All this really means is that if you go in guns blazing and balls hanging out like I did, you stand a chance of activating a lot of EXALT soldiers at once. May or may not be a problem depending where you are in the game. I also forget to do intel scans so I get my clues much slower than what I expect of other players. If you are diligent you could certainly be seeing this mission before your team is loaded down in plasma weaponry and advanced armor. Having waited this long though, it's sort of a victory lap slash giant middle finger to EXALT. We survived their harassment, put up with their bullshit the whole game, and now we get to burn all their crap to the ground. Except the stuff we steal to go sell for money.

Lastly, Virgils Root Beer. 4.5 out of 5 Booshes, would drink again. I think it comes down to personal preference that I like the smoother kinds of root beer like Henry Wienhard's that are made with honey. When I want a cold refreshing root beer I like that smoothness to satisfy and relax me. Even still, that Bavarian Nutmeg added a very interesting and complex flavor to Virgils that I can appreciate, and would desire again.

e: Also in rewatching I finally understand Guava's 'Heel Turn' joke at the start of the video. Went over my head at the time.

Jade Star fucked around with this message at 00:57 on Mar 21, 2015

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

EdibleBodyParts
Dec 27, 2005
Body Parts...that are edible

• Locked thread