Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
GuavaMoment
Aug 13, 2006

YouTube dude

Canuck-Errant posted:

Does this have anything to do with the Oilers being the only Canadian hockey team not to make the playoffs?

The Leafs and their fans suck, but despite our wishes they still exist.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lazy Bear
Feb 1, 2013

Never too lazy to dance with the angels
That's because, despite not being a half-decent team in a number of decades, they still manage to make the most money of at least any Canadian team in the NHL, if not any team at all.

Can't wait to hear Guava rage.

Minister Robathan
Jan 3, 2007

The Alien Leader of Transportation

Canuck-Errant posted:

Does this have anything to do with the Oilers being the only Canadian hockey team not to make the playoffs?

GuavaMoment posted:

And somehow the Oilers are still more dysfunctional and terrible. At least the Leafs managed to completely clean house and get all of the rot out management. The Oilers will never do this because they still live in the "glory of the 80s"

Long War is fun in that it takes a fun game and changes it enough that you can get a brand new experience from it. Playing on the easiest difficulty with "Cinematic Mode" (which gives something like a +15 aim given to the player), I find gives an experience easier on the tactical game compared to Vanilla Classic, tho the strategic layer is still crazy hard because it's incredibly complex. Unfortunately, the latter makes the game overall substantially harder because the aliens now level up on the tactical side based on ... voodoo, I think.

Minister Robathan fucked around with this message at 01:24 on Apr 14, 2015

DivineCoffeeBinge
Mar 3, 2011

Spider-Man's Amazing Construction Company

GuavaMoment posted:

Yeah, but they're an Original Six team. What're you gonna do, you know?

e: also, to get this post even slightly thread-related, I'd like to note that I finally beat the game not long ago thanks to watching these videos and learning how not to be consistently terrible (which I was). So, thanks, Jade!

Canuck-Errant
Oct 28, 2003

MOOD: BURNING - MUSIC: DISCO INFERNO BY THE TRAMMPS
Grimey Drawer

GuavaMoment posted:

I did say hockey team.

(As opposed to 'method of extracting dollars from the Southern ON economy and turning them into tears and broken dreams', obviously)

Jade Star
Jul 15, 2002

It burns when I LP
Operation Uncaring Apocalypse

Polsy

Not the finale you might have been expecting, but it's a rough mission either way. It's included because supply barges are real dicks of a mission. The terrain is not favorable and at this late in the game you'll only see the very strong aliens on them. I also did not think I had included on in full, having not gotten to supply barges until I was montage-ing the random filler missions, and this is a pretty great example of late game UFO clearing. It's kind of rough sometimes. I can spare you most of the details at this point, but the biggest problem on this map is always that middle area. There is a reason why 80% of the video is fighting in that one hallway. It sucks, its narrow, it doesn't offer a lot of cover, and while there are other routes and the ability to take high ground, line of sight issues often prevent these options from paying off. Dealing with the corridor of doom is tricky, no way about it. I prefer to play it safe, take what good positioning is available to me, and chip away at the aliens as I can. It's very easy to rush forward for better cover or positioning and activate more aliens in the middle of the map. That should be illustrated pretty well by the second pack of heavy floaters waiting just out of sight for me for 3 turns while I dealt with all the other problems.

Green Intern
Dec 29, 2008

Loon, Crazy and Laughable

Jade, were you aware there are keyboard shortcuts for changing the camera level?
F to go up, C to go down.

paragon1
Nov 22, 2010

FULL COMMUNISM NOW
I guess you're not going to take down a battleship?

Although I suppose between the various missions covered so far doing so wouldn't really add anything.

Ablative
Nov 9, 2012

Someone is getting this as an avatar. I don't know who, but it's gonna happen.

Green Intern posted:

Jade, were you aware there are keyboard shortcuts for changing the camera level?
F to go up, C to go down.

PgUp and PgDn work as well.

Luquos
Aug 9, 2009

how about we go back to my place and i conquer your world, if you know what i mean
With the chat about drone capture, it's a hell of a lot more useful in Long War because drones get super buff by the end of the game.

I once, due to poor positioning, faced a sectopod and almost had a party wipe due to two drones. That mission sucked.

Felinoid
Mar 8, 2009

Marginally better than Shepard's dancing. 2/10
God that mission was really mild for a landed supply barge. Only 19 aliens, and they strung themselves out slowly instead of rushing half the entire map up his rear end the moment he engaged that first cyberdisc. Facing 12 aliens at once because 3-4 pods wander into sight range on a single alien turn is really not fun, and it happens with alarming regularity on landed supply barges due to their high body count, and the AI for aliens at landing sites making them move toward any "disturbance" (AKA you're shooting at their friends) more reliably than in other situations. I'll take shooting down a followup battleship (there is no such thing as enough blaster launchers, and I remain perturbed that Jade doesn't even have one to give to James Dean yet :catstare:) over dealing with that kind of clusterfuck any day.

The big thing with Drone Capture isn't really about repairing SHIVs (since in EW they can have that self-repair thing, and in EU they weren't worth the soldier slot), but infinitely repairing MECs, which can be pretty handy as they tend to take the brunt of the enemies' attention. Unfortunately, it's almost always way more effort than it's worth. Unless you find the drones early, it's usually not worth doing, because if you find a drone midway through or later, any damage your MECs have taken so far you've probably already patched up with medkits. So they'll only really be effective for after you find and grab them. Which brings us to the other problem, actually grabbing them. In my experience, unless I leave whatever big dangerous thing that they come with alive for them to keep patching up, drones always run away. This typically makes trying to close on them for the capture futile, especially if they head up a couple Z-levels and your Arc Thrower person doesn't have an Archangel suit on. But man, if you can have it ready during the base defense...I can only imagine how insanely useful that'd be for such a long mission with drones near the start.

The Casualty
Sep 29, 2006
Security Clearance: Pop Secret

Whiny baby

paragon1 posted:

I guess you're not going to take down a battleship?

Although I suppose between the various missions covered so far doing so wouldn't really add anything.

Well, there was that one scripted mission with the battleship, Operation Gangplank from the Slingshot DLC.

Yaoi Gagarin
Feb 20, 2014

The Casualty posted:

Well, there was that one scripted mission with the battleship, Operation Gangplank from the Slingshot DLC.

Is the battleship in Gangplank exactly the same as the regular battleship? I thought they changed the level design a little bit?

Telum
Apr 17, 2013

I am protector of the innocent! I am the light in the darkness! I am truth! Ally to good! Nightmare to you!

VostokProgram posted:

Is the battleship in Gangplank exactly the same as the regular battleship? I thought they changed the level design a little bit?

It ends a room early, and has a different alien loadout than battleships normally have.

Plus it's atypical with the power conduits.

Felinoid
Mar 8, 2009

VostokProgram posted:

It's less the level design and more the enemy loadout that's the issue, though the command room you don't see in Gangplank can be a bitch until you devise a strategy for not being seen until you're ready. Dealing with lone Thin Men and Chryssalids at range in Gangplank isn't really a big challenge at the point when you'll get the mission, and the douchedisc is always in the same place so you can load your guys to the left and reaction fire it down on its first turn. A real battleship will almost always have you fighting 3 groups at once in that pit chamber, and they'll be things like Sectopods, Muton Elites, and Heavy Floaters.

Nevermind the fact that if you never shoot down a battleship, you don't get to see it in action in the air, and they can be pretty impressive. (They have a Fusion Lance. :allears:)

Also Jade somehow still doesn't have the achievement for shooting down one of each alien craft in a single playthrough, and this could be his chance. :colbert:

Gervasius
Nov 2, 2010

Grimey Drawer
Jade's EXALT base assault mission inspired me to redo the same with one caveat - every kill must be only with explosives, no gun kills allowed. I actually started new playthrough just for this, trained six colonel heavies with rocketeer and went to town. There wasn't much left standing after I was done with it :v:

e: timg'ed

Lazy Bear
Feb 1, 2013

Wouldn't that basically screw you for weapon fragments?

Psion
Dec 13, 2002

eVeN I KnOw wHaT CoRnEr gAs iS
I figure someone who has six colonel heavies for the deliberate purpose of wrecking EXALT's base is probably doing okay on fragments in other missions.

Gervasius
Nov 2, 2010

Grimey Drawer

Lazy Bear posted:

Wouldn't that basically screw you for weapon fragments?

Like psion said, this is only mission with six heavies. Rest were pretty standard squad layouts, with occasional 4 x heavy, 1 x sniper, 1 x support squad on some EXALT missions.

Felinoid
Mar 8, 2009

EXALT's pretty skimpy on weapon fragments anyway.

Lazy Bear
Feb 1, 2013

I dunno why, but I read Gervasius' post as something to the tune of 'Beat the game with explosives only', which would just make me twitch.

LEGO Genetics
Oct 8, 2013

She growls as she storms the stadium
A villain mean and rough
And the cops all shake and quiver and quake
as she stabs them with her cuffs
ragging on the Sharks Guava that's just cruel

we suffer enough

zyxophoj
May 24, 2014

Jade Star posted:

Operation Uncaring Apocalypse

One thing Enemy Within changed that I'm not a huge fan of is that weapons are now coloured based on the colour of the armor that the solder is wearing - instead of based on what kind of weapon they are. I've brought bullets to a plasma fight more than once because of this.

I actually like the supply barge. I think it's a well-designed level that gives everyone something to do:

Snipers love that corridor that Jadestar hates. I put one on the roof where they can take a squadsight shot at anything in the corridor.
Those rooms along the corridor are great for Assaults to hide in, then pop out and kill something
The large amounts of heavy metal that the aliens bring to the party give HEAT ammo Heavies a chance to shine.
You'll probably be glad Supports can use medikits 3 times.
(and I have yet to see a situation where MECs are not overpowered)

When dealing with that Sectopod, it might have been possible to run the MEC into a corner and electro-pulse it through a wall. Even though it doesn't make sense, that ability goes straight through metal walls. Another fun fact about electro-pulse: It does not break invisibility! You need a ghost grenade to take advantage of that but it's a really dirty trick.

Green Intern
Dec 29, 2008

Loon, Crazy and Laughable

zyxophoj posted:

Snipers love that corridor that Jadestar hates. I put one on the roof where they can take a squadsight shot at anything in the corridor.

Those corridors are LOS-nightmares. I've never had a single supply barge where I've been unable to shoot at something that it looks like I should.

zyxophoj
May 24, 2014

Green Intern posted:

Those corridors are LOS-nightmares. I've never had a single supply barge where I've been unable to shoot at something that it looks like I should.

There are usually so many aliens that not being able to shoot at one of them isn't much of a problem. But yeah, fix your game, Jake.

FedEx Mercury
Jan 7, 2004

Me bad posting? That's unpossible!
Lipstick Apathy
Supply barges are fairly evenly matched terrain for both teams, and it's a fun layout. Plus lots of loot to be had.

Jade Star
Jul 15, 2002

It burns when I LP
Operation Final Albatross

Polsy

The final mission is upon us! ...so let's not do any of that. Instead lets shoot down a battleship and train up our highest willpower soldier to date. This might be a little unnecessary, but an unfortunate side effect of my high aim recruit screening means that a high will power soldier sometimes takes a while. Alex Johnson is about to show us why high will power soldiers can be way more powerful than high aim soldiers. Fully kitted out she will be mind controlling and mind fraying literally everything on the field. Today's video is really just stalling the final mission to have my A-Team set up exactly how I want it, and because I don't think I've shown off mind control off. I'm blaming you Ricky Gunderson!

Also today is a real battleship! Not the easy kind from the Slingshot DLC. Guava argues that these battleships are the hardest missions. I feel less sure about that, but it certainly is a long mission with a lot of hard aliens in it. Good times all around, lets of aliens to kill and Meld to reap from them. I wish I hadn't preemptively blown all my meld beforehand, because I might have had enough to upgrade Isis's MEC suit fully. But no matter, Alex Johnson and James Dean get some needed gene mods. Once we're done here, we're all set to finally go assault that giant alien ship.

GuavaMoment
Aug 13, 2006

YouTube dude
I can finally post about my undying hatred for Harman Kandola. gently caress you. gently caress YOU HARMAN. The day after he tried to send my phone number over the internet? Harman supporter at the door. The day after that? Another phone call. Two pieces of mail in total, one that I'm supposed to believe Harman personally wrote himself instead of getting one of his legion to do it for him. I've had three phone calls today. Harman is a new candidate running for the PC party here because the last PC guy elected had to be kicked out of office. I said in the video he's likely going to be elected anyway because this province always votes PC but holy poo poo, the polls say he's going to lose to the guy I actually want to be elected. That's as shocking as if, say, Texas went 100% Democratic, or DC went 100% Republican overnight. So I think will vote.

gently caress you Harman.
Fix your game, Jake.

Chard
Aug 24, 2010

Vote early and often

apostateCourier
Oct 9, 2012

Time for Shellshock's revenge! You know which Ethereal you must mind control. Do it. :black101:

AnoHito
May 8, 2014

apostateCourier posted:

Time for Shellshock's revenge! You know which Ethereal you must mind control. Do it. :black101:

If you're talking about what I think you're talking about, I'm kind of curious what even happens. I've never actually tried it before.

Lazy Bear
Feb 1, 2013

GuavaMoment posted:

I can finally post about my undying hatred for Harman Kandola. gently caress you. gently caress YOU HARMAN. The day after he tried to send my phone number over the internet? Harman supporter at the door. The day after that? Another phone call. Two pieces of mail in total, one that I'm supposed to believe Harman personally wrote himself instead of getting one of his legion to do it for him. I've had three phone calls today. Harman is a new candidate running for the PC party here because the last PC guy elected had to be kicked out of office. I said in the video he's likely going to be elected anyway because this province always votes PC but holy poo poo, the polls say he's going to lose to the guy I actually want to be elected. That's as shocking as if, say, Texas went 100% Democratic, or DC went 100% Republican overnight. So I think will vote.

gently caress you Harman.
Fix your game, Jake.

I realize it's a little late now, but the CRTC has put in place regulations to help trim down the harrassment at least. The first line of defense is the National Do Not Call List. Registering your name to that list means that you cannot be cold-called. Mind that cold-callers have to make sure their list is up-to-date every 30 days, so it can take as long to take effect. That list not only prevents calls from businesses but also political parties. Now, that list only prevents cold calls. If you give your number to a business, you give them permission to contact you regardless of your place on NDNCL. Good news is, every business has to maintain their own personal DNCL. This means if you specifically say "Place me on your Do Not Call List", they have up to 14 days to place you on that list, and after that they may not call you again. This doesn't stop solicitation in the form of fliers, door-to-door marketing, e-mails(though there are other regulations restricting that) or other means. But it means fewer unwanted phone calls.

Felinoid
Mar 8, 2009

Ah, a real battleship. The pit room and final room are what really differentiate it from the Slingshot one. Facing sectopods and muton elites, and often multiple pods at once, can be a bit daunting for that pit room. The control room can also be very hard to get to breaching positions without being spotted (Ghost Armor / Mimetic Skin for path scouting helps a lot), due to the giant hole in the middle of the side you come in on, which as mentioned will probably mean a pissed off Ethereal (unless you've been dragging your feet on the Observer for long enough).

But even a battleship can't hold a candle to a landed supply barge in difficulty, due to a few factors. The battleship map, as essentially a long series of hallways and rooms, was planned out really well. The cover's solid (even the pit and control rooms have a healthy amount of high cover), and the hallways and the size of the rooms give you short breaks between enemy waves. The room separation (and subsequent hard division of the alien pods) also means you're never going to be facing 4+ pods at once, like you can with an unlucky landed supply barge. Though it can seem a little lacking in variety that the two battleship maps (with three start points each) are carbon copies of each other (the only difference I can see is maybe the lighting or placement of fires), I think it lead to a much more focused and careful design that really paid off in making it very fun to fight through. At least once you stop crapping your pants over that one time there were two Sectopods in the pit. :eek:

Felinoid fucked around with this message at 08:53 on May 2, 2015

paragon1
Nov 22, 2010

FULL COMMUNISM NOW
I love how utterly irrelevant late game assaults make Chryssalids and Muton Berserkers.

Last Transmission
Aug 10, 2011

apostateCourier posted:

That one is sadly immune to mind control. I deliberately brought a high will soldier along to do it in my last playthrough, and the game forced me to resolve it the standard xcom way.

FoolyCharged
Oct 11, 2012

Cheating at a raffle? I sentence you to 1 year in jail! No! Two years! Three! Four! Five years! Ah! Ah! Ah! Ah!
Somebody call for an ant?

Last Transmission posted:

That one is sadly immune to mind control. I deliberately brought a high will soldier along to do it in my last playthrough, and the game forced me to resolve it the standard xcom way.

flipping it over the guardrails with a punch mech?

Last Transmission
Aug 10, 2011

FoolyCharged posted:

flipping it over the guardrails with a punch mech?

That or in my actual case getting it to low health and then watch it commit suicide by targetting the ONE soldier I brought with the feedback mod.

Thyrork
Apr 21, 2010

"COME PLAY MECHS M'LANCER."

Or at least use Retrograde Mini's to make cool mechs and fantasy stuff.

:awesomelon:
Slippery Tilde

Last Transmission posted:

That or in my actual case getting it to low health and then watch it commit suicide by targetting the ONE soldier I brought with the feedback mod.

That seems a fitting revenge.

apostateCourier
Oct 9, 2012

Shellshock having 161 Will is insane. For reference, an Ethereal has 145 Will on Classic.

181 defensive Will means they literally cannot mind control her. She's also immune to panic.
191 offensive Will with inspire. The formula for Mind Control is 20 + Will - target Will = hit%. After a mind fray (same formula, base 50 instead of 20, does 5 damage and reduces Aim and Will by 25), that's a staggering 91% to mind control an Ethereal. It's even easier if it's significantly wounded- an extra 5-10%. There might be a 10% penalty for being on Classic, but I honestly can't remember if that's accurate.

Shellshock is back with a vengeance.

Edit: for funsies, an Ethereal has a 14% chance to mindfray her. Mindfray cannot work at all with Inspire active. Psi lance does significantly less damage to targets that have more will than the user, as does Rift- she's basically an Ethereal's worst nightmare. She's even a good shot at 101 Aim.

apostateCourier fucked around with this message at 09:31 on May 3, 2015

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

kaosdrachen
Aug 15, 2011

apostateCourier posted:

Shellshock having 161 Will is insane. For reference, an Ethereal has 145 Will on Classic.

181 defensive Will, 201 with inspire- which you'll have going into a fight with an ethereal- means they literally cannot mind control her. She's also immune to panic.
181 offensive Will with inspire. The formula for Mind Control is 20 + Will - target Will = hit%. After a mind fray (same formula, base 50 instead of 20, does 5 damage and reduces Aim and Will by 25), that's a staggering 81% to mind control an Ethereal. It's even easier if it's significantly wounded- an extra 5-10%.
There might be a 10% penalty for being on Classic, but I honestly can't remember if that's accurate.

Shellshock is back with a vengeance.

At 201 will, wouldn't the neural feedback gene mod basically instantly kill an Ethereal attempting mind control?

• Locked thread