Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Brainamp
Sep 4, 2011

More Zen than Zenyatta

Tzarnal posted:

What happened to the drat colours, everything wrong and oversaturated.

It's called using a video camera. :v:

It's also what we routinely mock here on the LP subforum.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

GenericServices
Apr 28, 2010

Brainamp posted:

It's called using a video camera. :v:

It's also what we routinely mock here on the LP subforum.

I still can't fathom why this guy keeps playing, clearly many, many hours into the game, when he's doing nothing but scream and rage. (He's hit "swearing at the controller" stage now.) Feinne, you've made us all feel better about ourselves.

Koorisch
Mar 29, 2009

Felinoid posted:

The purpose wouldn't be to determine who shoots, but who kills. The idea potentially being to keep snipers from hogging all the kills with their high overwatch effectiveness by making sure everyone else gets their shot to kill the thing first. For low health stuff like thin men and floaters that might work, but for high health things later in the game, you're just as likely to start feeding the sniper because everyone else will soften it up for the sniper to finish off. It's probably a wash (or nearly) overall, which is why I said it was a bit daffy.

I always use Snipers to soften targets up for my other dudes since they always reach Colonel first, is a pretty good idea since they are pretty useful with Doubletap-Disabling shot for those irritating enemies you want to capture/feed kills to lower ranked dudes.

The Casualty
Sep 29, 2006
Security Clearance: Pop Secret

Whiny baby

GenericServices posted:

I still can't fathom why this guy keeps playing, clearly many, many hours into the game, when he's doing nothing but scream and rage. (He's hit "swearing at the controller" stage now.) Feinne, you've made us all feel better about ourselves.

I can't believe I watched the whole thing.

NextTime000
Feb 3, 2011

bweeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeee
eeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeee
eeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeee
<----------------------------

The Casualty posted:

I can't believe someone watched the entirety of the raw footage in order to edit together this "highlight" reel

Fister Roboto
Feb 21, 2008

Feinne posted:

By the way if anyone wants to injure themselves this is a video of the antithesis of this thread.

It must be really hard to have a complete learning disability.

Mordaedil
Oct 25, 2007

Oh wow, cool. Good job.
So?
Grimey Drawer
You guys should see how terrible he is at Dark Souls, it's art.

TheCosmicMuffet
Jun 21, 2009

by Shine
Figure this is a better place than the /Games thread (since odds are the people there already have the game): Gamers gate has Xcom EW half off today.
http://www.gamersgate.com/DD-XCOMEW/xcom-enemy-within

Stallion Cabana
Feb 14, 2012
1; Get into Grad School

2; Become better at playing Tabletop, both as a player and as a GM/ST/W/E

3; Get rid of this goddamn avatar.
is that Paperlion's friend in that video

Felinoid
Mar 8, 2009

Marginally better than Shepard's dancing. 2/10

The Casualty posted:

:stare: I couldn't make it through 4 minutes without getting seriously depressed that people like him exist. If you watched all 43 minutes, I recommend you seek the counsel of a mental health professional at your earliest convenience.

Feinne
Oct 9, 2007

When you fall, get right back up again.

NextTime000 posted:

I can't believe someone watched the entirety of the raw footage in order to edit together this "highlight" reel

One amusing note: it seems the video series cuts off at episode 88, where people who had the stomach to watch it suggest that he realized he was 100% guaranteed to lose no matter what he did thanks to the doom track and a looming abduction mission.

So yeah he's doing all that reloading and poo poo and still found a way to lose the game.

Brainamp
Sep 4, 2011

More Zen than Zenyatta

Stallion Cabana posted:

is that Paperlion's friend in that video

Reading through the comments, the person who made the video despises DSP, as is correct.

Feinne posted:

One amusing note: it seems the video series cuts off at episode 88, where people who had the stomach to watch it suggest that he realized he was 100% guaranteed to lose no matter what he did thanks to the doom track and a looming abduction mission.

So yeah he's doing all that reloading and poo poo and still found a way to lose the game.

People have talked about having a hard time at easy difficulty. A bad xcom player won't be saved by savescumming.

JerikTelorian
Jan 19, 2007

TheCosmicMuffet posted:

Figure this is a better place than the /Games thread (since odds are the people there already have the game): Gamers gate has Xcom EW half off today.
http://www.gamersgate.com/DD-XCOMEW/xcom-enemy-within

Does this give me a Steam key? I've been wanting EW since this thread got me back into the game.

Cooked Auto
Aug 4, 2007

If you will not serve in combat, you will serve on the firing line!

JerikTelorian posted:

Does this give me a Steam key? I've been wanting EW since this thread got me back into the game.

Considering the DRM section further down says "DRM:Steamworks (Requires a third-party download and account)" I would imagine it does give you a steam key.

The Casualty
Sep 29, 2006
Security Clearance: Pop Secret

Whiny baby

Brainamp posted:

Reading through the comments, the person who made the video despises DSP, as is correct.

People have talked about having a hard time at easy difficulty. A bad xcom player won't be saved by savescumming.

Especially in this game. The outcome of any given turn cannot be changed by loading a save. If you aren't doing an Ironman run, and you want a do-over, then you better hope you saved at mission start, or a few turns before you really got hosed over. That was one of the funniest things, he savescums like a motherfucker but it never occurred to him that the RNG can't be tricked so easily :allears:

SoylentG
Apr 5, 2011

Jimmy4400nav posted:

Hooray I made squad! :dance:

The original XCOM lps in the archive are what convinced me to join SA several years ago, so now things feel like they've come a tad bit full circle! :dance:

Rock on, Jimmy Dean.

Felinoid
Mar 8, 2009

The Casualty posted:

The outcome of any given turn cannot be changed by loading a save.

To a point. Moving shifts the seed (I think), and even if you can't do that, you can always take a shot you had no chance at to get another shot with who you really want to hit. Even if everyone's single-moved, if you miss a 90% shot, you can reload, take a 23% shot with someone else to eat that miss, and then give the 90% guy another shot at the RNG. If you were particularly persistent you could map out the minimum accuracy needed for each shot that turn and use it to get the maximum number of hits. It would be horribly boring to play that way, though.

Reloading a save to take the exact same shot over and over again without varying action order is just an exercise in futility, though.

Teddybear
May 16, 2009

Look! A teddybear doll!
It's soooo cute!

Felinoid posted:

To a point. Moving shifts the seed (I think), and even if you can't do that, you can always take a shot you had no chance at to get another shot with who you really want to hit. Even if everyone's single-moved, if you miss a 90% shot, you can reload, take a 23% shot with someone else to eat that miss, and then give the 90% guy another shot at the RNG. If you were particularly persistent you could map out the minimum accuracy needed for each shot that turn and use it to get the maximum number of hits. It would be horribly boring to play that way, though.

Reloading a save to take the exact same shot over and over again without varying action order is just an exercise in futility, though.

That raises an interesting question, I think: Can you TAS this game? Has anyone tried to?

Green Intern
Dec 29, 2008

Loon, Crazy and Laughable

There is a Second Wave option in Enemy Within called "Save Scum," which does shuffle up the RNG seed every time you reload.

And you can win every single battle in XCOM EU/EW, and still lose the game if you're terrible at the base/panic management side of things. DSP is such a person.

Crigit
Sep 6, 2011

I'll show you my naval if you show me yours.
Let's get naut'y.

Felinoid posted:

If you were particularly persistent you could map out the minimum accuracy needed for each shot that turn and use it to get the maximum number of hits. It would be horribly boring to play that way, though.

...That actually sounds interesting to me. I think I have a problem.

Felinoid
Mar 8, 2009

Green Intern posted:

There is a Second Wave option in Enemy Within called "Save Scum," which does shuffle up the RNG seed every time you reload.

And you can win every single battle in XCOM EU/EW, and still lose the game if you're terrible at the base/panic management side of things. DSP is such a person.

It doesn't help if you don't even play missions because they're tagged as *gasp* Very Difficult! (I read the Youtube comments. :negative:)

Speaking of which, I hope Jade explains what the displayed difficulty levels of missions actually mean in a video. I've got a friend who thought the same thing as DSP, that Very Difficult actually means it's much harder. I was on the phone with her when she skipped a set of abduction missions entirely and was upset that 3 countries seceded afterward. I don't think I managed to hide how incredulous I was as I explained to her what she'd done. I'm sure there's plenty more like that who might come across the LP in the archive.

Crigit posted:

...That actually sounds interesting to me. I think I have a problem.

Nah, there's a bit of me that wanted to do it too, back when I found out how the RNG worked. The ability to manipulate chance seems interesting. I stopped before I mapped even one turn. Just not worth it in the slightest.

Felinoid fucked around with this message at 03:48 on Feb 18, 2014

TheCosmicMuffet
Jun 21, 2009

by Shine
Jadestar I have a request if you have the chance; could you showcase combat stims, and maybe let Guava tell you how to use them?

I've never messed with them, but I never noticed until today that part of their effect is that they prevent critical hits and make you take *half* damage.

I'm not clear if, like a medikit, you get that benefit without use, or if it's only for 2 turns, or 1 turn or what.

I'm going to find out, but it might be fun to showcase.

The game is full of cool sounding stuff that a lot of people ignore (e.g. SHIVs, reaper rounds, ghost grenades), it'd be nice if you did the rounds on some of them.

Jade Star
Jul 15, 2002

It burns when I LP
There a lot of little things I never touch in the course of a normal game, Muffet you list three of them for certain. I will make some effort to put these items to use. Not sure how, and I may just make a side save and demo them as a stand alone video or two of trying things I normally wouldn't recommend.

Combat stims are a two turn buff. Guava liked to use them against me in multiplayer, so if they haven't changed how they worked from way back when then you get the damage mitigation on the turn you use them, and your following turn. No passive bonus about them like medkits poison immunity.

Rorahusky
Nov 12, 2012

Transform and waaauuuugh out!

Felinoid posted:

It doesn't help if you don't even play missions because they're tagged as *gasp* Very Difficult! (I read the Youtube comments. :negative:)

Speaking of which, I hope Jade explains what the displayed difficulty levels of missions actually mean in a video. I've got a friend who thought the same thing as DSP, that Very Difficult actually means it's much harder. I was on the phone with her when she skipped a set of abduction missions entirely and was upset that 3 countries seceded afterward. I don't think I managed to hide how incredulous I was as I explained to her what she'd done. I'm sure there's plenty more like that who might come across the LP in the archive.

If I remember correctly, Mission Difficulty determines how many enemy squads you'll encounter. The higher the difficulty of the mission, the more groups of aliens there are on the map to trigger.

It's not really /that/ much harder, as long as you don't try to rush the mission and trigger multiple squads at once. The same basic tactics you learn in previous missions should apply just as well as well to a Very Difficult. You just need to conserve your Expendables a bit more.

Jade Star
Jul 15, 2002

It burns when I LP

Feinne posted:

By the way if anyone wants to injure themselves this is a video of the antithesis of this thread.

Holy gently caress this thing... How could anyone be that stupid and continue to do the same thing over and over and not learn? Not even question themselves that maybe they are the one doing something wrong. Who the gently caress is this guy? Why does he suck so loving much? Can I get him to watch my LP and is he capable of learning?

Kasrkin posted:

Also, is there some place left on the Roster, or is it filled up?

Still taking sign ups. Drawing lots as I need more rookies. (also keeping sign ups open for terrible mspaint art and haikus)

Strong Mouse
Jun 11, 2012

You disrespect us. You drag corpses around. You steal, and you hurt feelings!

RRRRRRRAAAAARGH!

Prepare to die!

Jade Star posted:

Holy gently caress this thing... How could anyone be that stupid and continue to do the same thing over and over and not learn? Not even question themselves that maybe they are the one doing something wrong. Who the gently caress is this guy? Why does he suck so loving much? Can I get him to watch my LP and is he capable of learning?

That is the amazingness of DarkSidePhyl or however he spells his name. A good portion of The Outside LP Crapshoot has been about him. Enjoy?

Felinoid
Mar 8, 2009

Rorahusky posted:

If I remember correctly, Mission Difficulty determines how many enemy squads you'll encounter. The higher the difficulty of the mission, the more groups of aliens there are on the map to trigger.

It's not really /that/ much harder, as long as you don't try to rush the mission and trigger multiple squads at once. The same basic tactics you learn in previous missions should apply just as well as well to a Very Difficult. You just need to conserve your Expendables a bit more.

That was my understanding as well. I'm just hoping that he mentions it in a video for people who find the LP in the archive later.

GenericServices
Apr 28, 2010

Jade Star posted:

He appeared to not know how to open doors despite the 360 version being polite enough to put a large "A" on them (or so it looked, the image quality was pretty bad sometimes). You've got a great introduction going here, but I think this case is beyond mortal reach.

Zeroisanumber
Oct 23, 2010

Nap Ghost

Jade Star posted:

I always wondered what would happen if I ignored the use of cover. Now I know.

Mordaedil
Oct 25, 2007

Oh wow, cool. Good job.
So?
Grimey Drawer

Jade Star posted:

I'm fairly certain he plays badly on purpose as well as acting as annoying as possible to make people watch his videos, since at an early point in his Dark Souls LP he basically says "I wouldn't be doing this if I wasn't getting paid".

Yeah, he's that kind of person.

Feinne
Oct 9, 2007

When you fall, get right back up again.

Mordaedil posted:

I'm fairly certain he plays badly on purpose as well as acting as annoying as possible to make people watch his videos, since at an early point in his Dark Souls LP he basically says "I wouldn't be doing this if I wasn't getting paid".

Yeah, he's that kind of person.

Nobody's entirely sure if his complete inability at video games of any kind is a put-on or not, he does genuinely seem to be baffled by basic concepts and too stubborn to reconsider his initial strategy for something unless someone in his stream chat tells him what to do.

double nine
Aug 8, 2013

Jade, any chance that you and Guava do a couple of multiplayer matches against one another? See whose school of thought - defense vs offense - wins when pitted against each other?

Teddybear
May 16, 2009

Look! A teddybear doll!
It's soooo cute!

double nine posted:

Jade, any chance that you and Guava do a couple of multiplayer matches against one another? See whose school of thought - defense vs offense - wins when pitted against each other?

This occurred recently. Ask anyone in Seattle, and they will tell you it's defense.

Jade Star
Jul 15, 2002

It burns when I LP

double nine posted:

Totally want to get him in for some multiplayer. I don't think either of us have played multiplayer in a long long time though or very much of it at all. Last time I remember playing guava his builds revolved around a single 10k point psi-assault with mind control and ghost armor being his main gimmick. I later refined that after the game rebalanced point values to a 10k Psi assault with a mind shield and a psi suit, giving him enough will to 100% mind control even sectoid commanders. At the 10K point range this usually meant a win because said soldier could either mind control the opponents strongest unit, mind fray with 100% anything with 5hp or less, or run and gun plus alloy cannon anything else. It was a ridiculous build that felt far more like gaming the point value system than playing a multiplayer match. But it was still fun as hell.

I guess what I want to say is I'll totally try to get Guava or other viewers in for multiplayer matches, but I will make no claims about offering the same level of insight or mastery about the game in anything multiplayer. I haven't even touched the MP of Enemy Within, and it added all new units, new aliens, gene mod packages, etc, etc, etc.

Jade Star
Jul 15, 2002

It burns when I LP
Operation Banished Thorn: Declassified

Polsy

A big thanks to Silent W for coming along and talking about The Bureau with me for the video. He had a lot of cool things to talk about and will hopefully make the time to appear in another video or two later on in the game when XCom makes a few more overtures towards The Bureau. I hope everyone enjoyed this, though I know not everyone has played The Bureau. I'm hoping Silent W decides to LP it and put his inside view into the LP.

As I stated in the video this mission was not saved. Anything that happened here does not count as far as the LP goes. Summoning a hero unit like William Carter created a couple of problems, and one critical one I didn't think of until too late. This mission was actually recorded before the previous update and I reloaded an earlier save from before I summoned Carter. One of the big reasons I did that was I forgot popping Carter into existence meant I now had a Colonel ranked soldier which unlocked everything in the OTS and I purchased upgrades I should not have had access to yet. It would have spoiled the the LP run a little in my aim to make it a straight forward guide to XCom; I didn't want to do any hand waving and tell people 'Well I shouldn't have squad size 6 this early but...". We will return to the regularly scheduled XCom LP with the next video.

chiasaur11
Oct 22, 2012

Teddybear posted:

This occurred recently. Ask anyone in Seattle, and they will tell you it's defense.

I'm not sure that's a good example, considering the details of the engagement.

Denver's play was offensive, true enough...

Veloxyll
May 3, 2011

Fuck you say?!

chiasaur11 posted:

I'm not sure that's a good example, considering the details of the engagement.

Denver's play was offensive, true enough...

I thought it was meant to be the game of maximum offense v maximum defense. And one team won HARD (I was at work while the game was on, okay.)

Green Intern
Dec 29, 2008

Loon, Crazy and Laughable

I'd be game for some multiplayer matches. I haven't done too much post-EW, though. It should be fun!

Bruceski
Aug 21, 2007

The tools of a hero mean nothing without a solid core.

Veloxyll posted:

I thought it was meant to be the game of maximum offense v maximum defense. And one team won HARD (I was at work while the game was on, okay.)

That's how it was billed. It turned out to be Seattle running circles around Denver while they just stood there and threw interceptions.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DatonKallandor
Aug 21, 2009

"I can no longer sit back and allow nationalist shitposting, nationalist indoctrination, nationalist subversion, and the German nationalist conspiracy to sap and impurify all of our precious game balance."
Having the Bureau and XCOM in the same timeline makes no sense whatsoever. But if you think of them as taking place in alternate realities of the same universe the whole thing makes a lot of sense. The same races inhabiting the galaxy, but events differ so you've got Mercenary Mutons and technologically enslaved Sectoids working for religious fanatics instead of genetically mutilated and psionically controlled races under the Ethereals.

Also the Titan enemy in the Bureau - it's so ridiculously easy: after you've beaten the fight once and you get the document that tells you how to fight Titans. But then they never show up ever again.

DatonKallandor fucked around with this message at 16:37 on Feb 18, 2014

• Locked thread