Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Spiffo
Nov 24, 2005

Rorahusky posted:

If I remember correctly, Mission Difficulty determines how many enemy squads you'll encounter. The higher the difficulty of the mission, the more groups of aliens there are on the map to trigger.

It's not really /that/ much harder, as long as you don't try to rush the mission and trigger multiple squads at once. The same basic tactics you learn in previous missions should apply just as well as well to a Very Difficult. You just need to conserve your Expendables a bit more.

Easy and Moderate both have two squads. IIRC, it's actually just "number of aliens" that are different.

If I'm remembering right, the squad makeup is 2+2 (easy), 3+3 (moderate), 3+3+2 (hard), 3+3+2+2 (very hard). So the totals are 4/6/8/10 aliens total.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Felinoid
Mar 8, 2009

Marginally better than Shepard's dancing. 2/10
From what I've seen so far, Seekers seem like they would be a great counter to The One in multiplayer, but the mentions of gene mods that counter them makes me think that's probably wrong. Also Close Combat Reflexes might neuter them, come to think of it (if they have that). I'm still sad I didn't have the chance to see if 3 chrys could run it down.

Veloxyll posted:

I thought it was meant to be the game of maximum offense v maximum defense. And one team won HARD (I was at work while the game was on, okay.)

It was supposed to be, but it ended up being a game of maximum defense vs. minimum competence.

DatonKallandor posted:

Also the Titan enemy in the Bureau - it's so ridiculously easy: after you've beaten the fight once and you get the document that tells you how to fight Titans. But then they never show up ever again.

Frankly I found it horribly annoying. I don't think I died to it, but the in-game advice of "take cover to protect yourself" was a complete red herring, as with a single shot it'd destroy a large swathe of cover and hit me anyway. It was easy enough after I realized I should just run around like a ninny whenever I thought it was going to fire, but that misdirection irked me, and the rest of the time whittling away its health made it feel like a very simple puzzle boss that had long overstayed its welcome.

ulmont
Sep 15, 2010

IF I EVER MISS VOTING IN AN ELECTION (EVEN AMERICAN IDOL) ,OR HAVE UNPAID PARKING TICKETS, PLEASE TAKE AWAY MY FRANCHISE

Spiffo posted:

If I'm remembering right, the squad makeup is 2+2 (easy), 3+3 (moderate), 3+3+2 (hard), 3+3+2+2 (very hard). So the totals are 4/6/8/10 aliens total.

Which is pretty funny considering how many aliens the larger UFOs have (up to 20, with 14+ being common).

Spiffo
Nov 24, 2005

ulmont posted:

Which is pretty funny considering how many aliens the larger UFOs have (up to 20, with 14+ being common).

Large UFOs are pretty big though, and can handle more aliens.

Some of those Very Hard maps can get fuckin' PACKED.

(unrelated: UFO crashes on that rooftop map are the worst and killed several early classic runs of mine. The Outsider spawns at the edge of the ufo, NOT in the navigation room)

Green Intern
Dec 29, 2008

Loon, Crazy and Laughable

I am 99% sure that a seeker attempting to strangle a dude ignores all overwatch or reaction abilities from its intended target.

Pvt.Scott
Feb 16, 2007

What God wants, God gets, God help us all
So, as a guy that actually enjoys third-person cover shooters (and the awesome first-person cover mechanics in Far Cry 3) is The Bureau with checking out?

Spiffo
Nov 24, 2005

Green Intern posted:

I am 99% sure that a seeker attempting to strangle a dude ignores all overwatch or reaction abilities from its intended target.

100%, they get the drop on the target and don't give them a chance to react.

DatonKallandor
Aug 21, 2009

"I can no longer sit back and allow nationalist shitposting, nationalist indoctrination, nationalist subversion, and the German nationalist conspiracy to sap and impurify all of our precious game balance."

Felinoid posted:

Frankly I found it horribly annoying. I don't think I died to it, but the in-game advice of "take cover to protect yourself" was a complete red herring, as with a single shot it'd destroy a large swathe of cover and hit me anyway. It was easy enough after I realized I should just run around like a ninny whenever I thought it was going to fire, but that misdirection irked me, and the rest of the time whittling away its health made it feel like a very simple puzzle boss that had long overstayed its welcome.

Oh taking cover works - but the cover has to obstruct the disintegration beam entirely otherwise the splash hits you. Also the trick they only tell you after the fight is that for a few seconds after firing the beam the center of the Titan is a gigantic weakspot. I think you can take down the whole Titan in a single magazine of the rocket launcher that way. Takes less than a minute for the whole fight.

Pvt.Scott posted:

So, as a guy that actually enjoys third-person cover shooters (and the awesome first-person cover mechanics in Far Cry 3) is The Bureau with checking out?

Absolutely as long as you don't mind a lack of polish in the details and a pretty straight Mass Effect combat system rip (but executed better, frankly).

Bruceski
Aug 21, 2007

The tools of a hero mean nothing without a solid core.

Pvt.Scott posted:

If you don't go in expecting game of the year it's pretty good. Like a lot of games, what really did it in was hype backlash. And that wasn't its own hype, but spillover hype from Enemy Unknown.

Fumbles
Mar 22, 2013

Can I get a reroll?

Green Intern posted:

They ignore it even when not strangling. It's not the strangling that makes seekers a real threat, its what they do when they can't strangle you.

(Which is why I refuse to use gene mods or equipment to make EVERYONE immune to choking. Heavy can eat a strangle for a round or two if it means keeping the seeker from doing to me what my assaults do to the aliens.)

The Casualty
Sep 29, 2006
Security Clearance: Pop Secret

Whiny baby
:laffo: Nice firing squad on that second seeker.

Brainamp
Sep 4, 2011

More Zen than Zenyatta

Pvt.Scott posted:

It's a decent enough game. Like Bruceski said, most people that poo poo all over it have either never played it or are looking at it to be Enemy Unknown.

Pvt.Scott
Feb 16, 2007

What God wants, God gets, God help us all
Tommy Guns and aliens it is then!

I keep getting wrecked by early council missions combined with poo poo luck and bad moves on my part. Thin Men are scary when you have 6 health.

Koorisch
Mar 29, 2009
If they had announced XCOM:EU before The Bureau then I don't think it would have had the same problem as it had, mostly it was just everyone that liked the old XCOM that went berserk and wasted all their TU on random barrages of rage aimed at The Bureau because it wasn't what they wanted. :v:

Coolguye
Jul 6, 2011

Required by his programming!
The best way to think of The Bureau is Mass Effect without an ambitious story and roughly half of the Bioware-isms. If that sounds interesting to you, by all means go to it. It's not a poorly made game. It is, however, a poorly directed game, so if you go in expecting something really cool you're going to be disappointed.

DatonKallandor
Aug 21, 2009

"I can no longer sit back and allow nationalist shitposting, nationalist indoctrination, nationalist subversion, and the German nationalist conspiracy to sap and impurify all of our precious game balance."
It's incredibly pretty on high settings. They really got some top notch lighting out of that old engine. Just disable cloth physics and directx 11 and you're good to go.

GuavaMoment
Aug 13, 2006

YouTube dude

Pvt.Scott posted:

is The Bureau with checking out?

I enjoyed it enough to get all the achievements. Base management can be a bit plodding, but the combat is really, really fun. However there are numerous places in the story where things just jump around or don't get explained because the game needed another few months of polish before release. It's easily worth it next time it goes on sale.

Silent W - a question. Why in the hell did anyone bother with the "cover-up" story at the end of the game? You've got mass abductions, giant alien structures in the middle of ruined cities everywhere, freaking orbital bombardments going on...and it all got covered up? Like, really? Out of all the rough edges that game has, that one was the worst. Well, aside from loading a game in the decontamination room of the base and having the doors refuse to open, thus breaking the save. That was the worst.

Pyroi
Aug 17, 2013

gay elf noises

GuavaMoment posted:

I enjoyed it enough to get all the achievements. Base management can be a bit plodding, but the combat is really, really fun. However there are numerous places in the story where things just jump around or don't get explained because the game needed another few months of polish before release. It's easily worth it next time it goes on sale.

Silent W - a question. Why in the hell did anyone bother with the "cover-up" story at the end of the game? You've got mass abductions, giant alien structures in the middle of ruined cities everywhere, freaking orbital bombardments going on...and it all got covered up? Like, really? Out of all the rough edges that game has, that one was the worst. Well, aside from loading a game in the decontamination room of the base and having the doors refuse to open, thus breaking the save. That was the worst.

It was all just swamp gas and a weather balloon. Nothing to see here, move along, or you're a communist.

Kasrkin
Feb 16, 2014

Nothing suspicious here.

Pyroi posted:

It was all just swamp gas and a weather balloon. Nothing to see here, move along, or you're a communist.

Seems Legit, but sounds a bit like Imperial Secret keeping, with less *blamming* of People. (although that last part is an assumption, having not played The Bureau)

and i would also sign up for a Multiplayer game, if the possibility comes.

Veloxyll
May 3, 2011

Fuck you say?!

Jade has been surprisingly successful at not taking casualties so far. Though maybe once the stronger aliens show up we'll start seeing some casualties.

Also doesn't help the aliens' case that Jade is a dirty cheater!

heenato
Oct 26, 2010

We wish to communicate with you!
I enjoyed what I played of the Bureau, but I have a problem where I'm just complete balls at micromanagement and multitasking. And when the game tells me I need to keep a close eye on my squad, and make sure their positioned correctly, my brain just yells "Nope" And I just could not get past the very first muton in the game.

Back to enemy within though, I'm the kinda guy that always circles the wagons when seekers pop up. I don't trust myself to be able to get out of the situation if I activate something, and than a seeker strangles my heavy or something. Meld isn't something I place highly enough to get into a situation like that for.

TheCosmicMuffet
Jun 21, 2009

by Shine
Sometimes it doesn't even make a difference that meld is involved. Half the time, I just dash over, and it takes the seeker extra invisible time to bother strangling anyone.

The only upshot to the seeker stealth mechanic is that you can use mimetic skin stealth while they're around, so you can ignore them for a couple turns if you want.

Jade Star
Jul 15, 2002

It burns when I LP
Operation Crimson Savior

It didn't take long for the next mission to pop up on me. Sprahl and Tony White are still in the medbay healing up, and with Ragnar still benched awaiting on the decision to MEC him or not he's not going out either. I needed a 5th man for the mission and pulled up a new recruit.

Isobel Guiteirez 45 Will 70 Aim

Another promising recruit. Isobel is 5 points above the average in terms of Will and Aim making her a very nice addition to the team. Going into the mission I am hoping she promotes to assault so we have some back up for Sprahl.

Polsy

There isn't a lot to talk about post mission with this one. A pretty standard sweep and clear mission with a little bit of difficulty from managing the terrain. The only new point to touch on was that this was a landed UFO and not a crash. I didn't have to intercept it on the globe, it just sort of appeared in Oregon for no reason. Landed UFO's are pretty much the exact same as a crashed UFO with the main difference being that landed UFO's will have all of their components left intact. That means if you're careful you can salvage all the UFO Navigation and power sources the ship has to offer. This can be very beneficial to either use these parts in building your base or Firestorms, or just for selling for a quick increase in cash. Just try to take care of where you shoot or lob explosives when clearing the UFO itself.

Also James Dean wins MVP for the Penta-Kill rocket launcher shot.

Zebrin
Mar 12, 2010

Chopping trees down and making elves cry.
I am so glad I didn't read the second half of your update until after I watched that video, seeing the rocket without warning just made me smile.

mdct
Sep 2, 2011

Tingle tingle kooloo limpah.
These are my magic words.

Don't steal them.
Heavies are useful. I like 'em.

They're probably the hardest class to know how to use effectively, though. Whenever a friend starts out on XCOM, I usually hear them complain about heavies, because they don't know how to position them right to get maximum use out of rockets. They make the mistake of letting them fall behind. Don't do that! They're Heavies; they're tough. The LMG functions best in close and medium ranges. Moving them out in front means you've plopped them into position to use a rocket next turn. Heavies are rad. You don't make an entire squad of them like you can with Assaults and Supports and be fine, but you should probably have one in any squad.

Bruceski
Aug 21, 2007

The tools of a hero mean nothing without a solid core.

Mighty Dicktron posted:

Heavies are useful. I like 'em.

They're probably the hardest class to know how to use effectively, though. Whenever a friend starts out on XCOM, I usually hear them complain about heavies, because they don't know how to position them right to get maximum use out of rockets. They make the mistake of letting them fall behind. Don't do that! They're Heavies; they're tough. The LMG functions best in close and medium ranges. Moving them out in front means you've plopped them into position to use a rocket next turn. Heavies are rad. You don't make an entire squad of them like you can with Assaults and Supports and be fine, but you should probably have one in any squad.

Agreed. Once you get used to playing them a bit recklessly (by ironman impossible "we hate having fun" standards) it tends to open up a lot of opportunities for good rockets.

Brainamp
Sep 4, 2011

More Zen than Zenyatta

Mighty Dicktron posted:

You don't make an entire squad of them like you can with Assaults and Supports and be fine, but you should probably have one in any squad.

You take that back. :colbert:

Honestly, I always keep at least two heavies in my squad whenever possible. They are only second to mecs at removing cover, and are pretty crucial for setting up controlled fights and kills.

Jimmy4400nav
Apr 1, 2011

Ambassador to Moonlandia
Nice, I'm happy I got the penta kill with the rocket, so happy I'm a heavy.

SilentW
Apr 3, 2009

my It dept hgere is fucking clwonshoes, and as someone hwo used to do IT for 9 years it pains me to see them fbe so terriuble
Hi everyone, it's me.
I will be taking questions and stuff about The Bureau for the next day or so, and write up a big effortpost where I answer as many as possible.

No, I will not name names. No, I will not break my NDA, as I still work with some of the people who I worked with on the Bureau. And no, 2K Marin is no longer in existence.

That said, ask anything. I'll just say 'no comment' or ignore it if I can't answer.

Sally
Jan 9, 2007

Don't post Small Dash!

Zebrin posted:

I am so glad I didn't read the second half of your update until after I watched that video, seeing the rocket without warning just made me smile.

Ha, yeah, I did the same thing. Got a good chuckle out of that.

Glad to see Isobel rocking the purple uni on the squad.

Oh, and can I just say that this is one of the most informative LPs I've ever read? This is great and I'm learning a TONNE. Not just from Jade Star and GuavaMoment, but everyone in this thread.

chiasaur11
Oct 22, 2012

SilentW posted:

Hi everyone, it's me.
I will be taking questions and stuff about The Bureau for the next day or so, and write up a big effortpost where I answer as many as possible.

No, I will not name names. No, I will not break my NDA, as I still work with some of the people who I worked with on the Bureau. And no, 2K Marin is no longer in existence.

That said, ask anything. I'll just say 'no comment' or ignore it if I can't answer.

So, the whole coverup thing. How did that get into the plot?

I mean, it seems weird with aliens killing thousands of people, including the President and the joint chiefs, that it's all swept under the rug without difficulty, and I'm wondering if that was a kinda last minute thing on one side or the other.

Veloxyll
May 3, 2011

Fuck you say?!

In my 4 man playthrough, I punched an alien through the hull into the power-core.

Green Intern
Dec 29, 2008

Veloxyll posted:

In my 4 man playthrough, I punched an alien through the hull into the power-core.

I think this is a fair trade for not getting an intact power source.

Tzarnal
Dec 26, 2011

I'd like to talk a bit about outsiders, or rather, how outsiders don't get a very fair treatment from X-com.

Outsiders don't really have a Thing. They lack character and impact. They are just a guy with a rifle made out of "almost pure energy". You'll see like 3 or 4 of them in a playthrough and then they get replaced by other creatures. They seem sort of vestigial as an enemy, they don't even have a defining feature as far as i can tell.

Sectiods are cowards with mind meld, thin men are bastards that spit poison clouds, seekers will murder lone characters with stealth. Outsiders, outsiders have a plasma rifle, that is their thing, having a rifle.

Tzarnal fucked around with this message at 14:32 on Feb 19, 2014

Green Intern
Dec 29, 2008

Hitting harder than anything at this point in the game is a "thing," although I grant that it isn't terribly interesting. I do agree that outsiders seem sort of out of place, as they don't really mesh with the rest of the aliens' aesthetics in my opinion. Then they disappear forever and get replaced with more dangerous enemies and everything is ok.

Sloober
Apr 1, 2011

Green Intern posted:

Hitting harder than anything at this point in the game is a "thing," although I grant that it isn't terribly interesting. I do agree that outsiders seem sort of out of place, as they don't really mesh with the rest of the aliens' aesthetics in my opinion. Then they disappear forever and get replaced with more dangerous enemies and everything is ok.

If it weren't for plot it would almost be nice to just bring back a 'navigator' type of sectoid. I dislike outsiders because as mentioned they just seem totally out of place, and the fact they end up vanishing from the game makes it even dumber. The rest of the early aliens still show up sporadically throughout the game all the way to the end.

Fetucine
Oct 29, 2011

Sloober posted:

The rest of the early aliens still show up sporadically throughout the game all the way to the end.

Except Seekers, apparently?

And really even "hits hard for the early game" isn't much of a characteristic past the very first crashed UFO. After you get burned once, you're going to approach future UFOs much more thoughtfully, and Outsiders will probably never get a hit on you. I usually don't let them get a single shot off unless I'm going for a capture.

The Mighty Biscuit
Feb 13, 2012

Abi gezunt dos leben ken men zikh ale mol nemen.
Heavies have a bit of an issue with Training Roulette. All their rocket stuff stays, of course, and its cool. It's what heavies do first and foremost. But there is a pretty sizable window of time where a tier 2 MEC will out preform a heavy at nearly everything.

Between the point where you upgrade to Alien Grenades (which should be pretty soon for Jade here) to the point where you start encountering Battleships, Heavies with Roullette are outshined by everyone else in their own role. Exploding things. (unless you pony up for Operation: Slingshot).

Alien Nades do 5 damage. Rockets 6. Yes you out range nades, but after your heavy fires those 2 rockets, It's now stuck with only being able to LMG things. And a snapshot sniper with a pair of grenades does the same job just as poorly. :v:

Once you have the upgraded rocket launcher, everything changes though.

(This is why Training Roulette is such a fun option. Everything is different.)

Sage Grimm
Feb 18, 2013

Let's go explorin' little dude!
Keep a couple countries satellite free and you'll keep seeing Seekers in Abduction missions! :v:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Telum
Apr 17, 2013

I am protector of the innocent! I am the light in the darkness! I am truth! Ally to good! Nightmare to you!

I did a playthrough on Normal last week, and I kept encountering Seekers on ships I downed while I was farming stuff near the end of the game. Specifically, I remember encountering them on abductors; I don't remember whether or not I encountered them on any others.

• Locked thread