Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
GuavaMoment
Aug 13, 2006

YouTube dude

TheCosmicMuffet posted:

I wish this operation were called Vengeful Sheep.

Jadestar, if someone put together a new mission random file for you, would you adopt it?

Please do this, but send it to me first. I can then make sure Jade uses it. :getin:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Condoleezza Nice!
Jan 4, 2010

Lite som Robin Hood
fast inte
Goddamnit Jade Star. You have suppression! And smoke grenades! Use them!

TheCosmicMuffet
Jun 21, 2009

by Shine

GuavaMoment posted:

Please do this, but send it to me first. I can then make sure Jade uses it. :getin:

Man, this is a fun eye-opener in a lot of ways... For instance, did anybody know about this:

quote:

POISONED_AIM_PENALTY=20

Felinoid
Mar 8, 2009

Marginally better than Shepard's dancing. 2/10

TheCosmicMuffet posted:

Man, this is a fun eye-opener in a lot of ways... For instance, did anybody know about this:

quote:

POISONED_AIM_PENALTY=20

Hitting the Soldier Info button (F1 hotkey, I think) after a thing is done to you takes the mystery out of a lot of things like that. I don't remember if it tells you it's 20, but the entry will mention the aim penalty. It's how I learned about the aim and movement penalties on Mindfray back when, after I noticed a Mindfrayed soldier could barely move. Also helps with learning each soldier's skills the first time too, since it's slightly more in-depth than the very brief descriptions you get when picking them. It's quite handy all around.

Felinoid fucked around with this message at 17:18 on Feb 28, 2014

Brainamp
Sep 4, 2011

More Zen than Zenyatta

quote:

Yes. Thinmen that manage to poison you aren't just assholes for the damage it causes.

It's also why gas grenades are pretty good for taking enemies alive. Poison them, and your chances go up each turn while they have an aim penalty.

Zudrag
Oct 7, 2009
Did anyone in this thread started playing XCOM when the EW DLC came out, and not with vanilla EU? I am curious at how someone who is new to the game who comes in at EW picks methods to play their game. I for one didn't experiment with many things like flashbangs and all that because I was too comfortable with what worked in EU.

TheCosmicMuffet
Jun 21, 2009

by Shine

Brainamp posted:

Yes. Thinmen that manage to poison you aren't just assholes for the damage it causes.

It's also why gas grenades are pretty good for taking enemies alive. Poison them, and your chances go up each turn while they have an aim penalty.

I set mine to 80 and gave gas grenades to all my guys.

Jade Star
Jul 15, 2002

It burns when I LP
Operation Soaring Pyre

Bringing in a rookie with the increased squad sizes. Hope to fill out the roster a bit with a second assault.

Rookie Sammantha Beers 52 Will 75 Aim

Polsy

Pvt.Scott
Feb 16, 2007

What God wants, God gets, God help us all
Samantha "Blood Diamond" Beers.

Or maybe "Natty Lite."

Kytrarewn
Jul 15, 2011

Solving mysteries in
Bb, F and D.
"Dogfish" makes for a pretty good tagline for the new recruit.

Who requested this one, out of curiosity?

Chard
Aug 24, 2010

Pvt.Scott posted:

Samantha "Blood Diamond" Beers.

Or maybe "Natty Lite."

I was gonna say "Duff" but Natty Lite is way better with that 'do.

Jade Star
Jul 15, 2002

It burns when I LP

Kytrarewn posted:

Who requested this one, out of curiosity?

No one, actually.

Double May Care
Mar 28, 2012

We need Dragon-type Pokemon to help us prepare our food before we cook it. We're not sure why!

Samantha only drinks Blue Ribbon Beers.

Pyroi
Aug 17, 2013

gay elf noises
When you said "Very Special Episode" and there was a bar in the video, I assumed the episode would be about X-COM's problems with alcoholics.

And then the new recruit is Beers. She's a Very Special Assault.

Pyroi fucked around with this message at 06:08 on Mar 1, 2014

Green Intern
Dec 29, 2008

Loon, Crazy and Laughable

Samantha "Draft" Beers.

spooky attic
Jun 17, 2009

Ineffective at haunting cartridges.

Pvt.Scott posted:

Or maybe "Natty Lite."

I dunno, do we want her to die???

Hermetian
Dec 9, 2007
You're having insanely good luck with Not Created Equally. All those 75 / 80 aim rookies is like having everyone get a free SCOPE.

Green Intern
Dec 29, 2008

Loon, Crazy and Laughable

Is it possible that Tony White decided to enter through that window because the cloaked seeker was taking up the doorway?

The Door Frame
Dec 5, 2011

I don't know man everytime I go to the gym here there are like two huge dudes with raging high and tights snorting Nitro-tech off of each other's rock hard abs.
Samantha Keystone Beers

She's only here to gently caress poo poo up

Zomborgon
Feb 19, 2014

I don't even want to see what happens if you gain CHIM outside of a pre-coded system.

Green Intern posted:

Samantha "Draft" Beers.

Seconded. Also, quit mind reading me.

Fister Roboto
Feb 21, 2008

I just want to say that all of you are awful at coming up with nicknames. This is an example of how a real nickname is made:

Felinoid
Mar 8, 2009

Jade Star posted:

No one, actually.

Do you mean you're out of submissions? Because I think I sent one around two weeks ago.

Green Intern posted:

Is it possible that Tony White decided to enter through that window because the cloaked seeker was taking up the doorway?

Nah, XCOM and the aliens both just love unnecessary property damage. It's a fun little unintended consequence of the pathing code and lack of difficult terrain modifiers. When hopping up or down a level or diving through a window doesn't cost you anything (or at least so little as to be negligible), you get some very straightforward pathing regardless of obstacles. I've seen them hop up and down levels 4 times in one move when they could've just pathed a square to the left and run flat. :downs:

Chard
Aug 24, 2010

Fister Roboto posted:

I just want to say that all of you are awful at coming up with nicknames. This is an example of how a real nickname is made:

Thanks for a) a lovely webcomic and b) not even making your own suggestion! :thumbsup:

Strayed
Mar 3, 2013
How about Samantha "Silver" Beers in honor of GuavaMoment and his crazy Canadian ways.

e:

GuavaMoment posted:

Then why isn't it gold? :smug:
Well obviously because she is a daughter of your most hated enemy country and is only entitled to silver. :reject:

Strayed fucked around with this message at 05:53 on Mar 1, 2014

The Casualty
Sep 29, 2006
Security Clearance: Pop Secret

Whiny baby

Chard posted:

Thanks for a) a lovely webcomic and b) not even making your own suggestion! :thumbsup:

I'm gonna start calling you "mad butthurt"

GuavaMoment
Aug 13, 2006

YouTube dude

Strayed posted:

How about Samantha "Silver" Beers in honor of GuavaMoment and his crazy Canadian ways.

Then why isn't it gold? :smug:

Jade, I have a list of new level names for you when I get back!

Neophyte
Apr 23, 2006

perennially
Taco Defender
Samantha "99" Beers, for obvious reasons. Also for Agent 99! :swoon: (when she flubs a shot you can say "missed it by THAT much")

Fister Roboto posted:

Oh, well then by that logic her name clearly has to be Samantha "Topanga" Beers.

Veloxyll
May 3, 2011

Fuck you say?!

Neophyte posted:

Samantha "99" Beers, for obvious reasons. Also for Agent 99! :swoon: (when she flubs a shot you can say "missed it by THAT much")

Seconding 99.

Stallion Cabana
Feb 14, 2012
1; Get into Grad School

2; Become better at playing Tabletop, both as a player and as a GM/ST/W/E

3; Get rid of this goddamn avatar.
I find the construction site map way harder then this one. The one where you start in a little square and there's a huge high rise area to the left and a bunch of poo poo on the right.

I hope you play one of those so I can see what the hell you're supposed to do in those because I've never not lost a soldier in one of those.

Pyroi
Aug 17, 2013

gay elf noises

Veloxyll posted:

Seconding 99.

Thirding/changing my vote. Motion passes.

Pvt.Scott
Feb 16, 2007

What God wants, God gets, God help us all
How about "Calrissian" for Beers, since Billy Dee Williams is the official Colt 45 dude.

InwardChaos
Oct 21, 2010

Before the beginning of great brilliance, there must be chaos.

Felinoid posted:

Nah, XCOM and the aliens both just love unnecessary property damage.

Actually, it is the cloaked seeker. Right at 5:30, Sammantha is selected. You can see right beside Tony that she is unable to move into the doorway, despite her movement range being far enough for her to move into Tony's spot (if he wasn't there at that moment).

Piell
Sep 3, 2006

Grey Worm's Ken doll-like groin throbbed with the anticipatory pleasure that only a slightly warm and moist piece of lemoncake could offer

Young Orc
C'mon people, the obvious choice is Sam "Adams" Beers

Felinoid
Mar 8, 2009

InwardChaos posted:

Actually, it is the cloaked seeker. Right at 5:30, Sammantha is selected. You can see right beside Tony that she is unable to move into the doorway, despite her movement range being far enough for her to move into Tony's spot (if he wasn't there at that moment).

Ah, yeah. Looking at the video again, it's a quicker path through the door than the window, so he would've taken that if he'd had the option. My point about them loving to jump through windows under normal circumstances stands, though. There's just something about broken glass in their face that they can't resist. :allears:

Brainamp
Sep 4, 2011

More Zen than Zenyatta

Actually, all the windows on XCOM earth are made out of tasty candy. Those squaddies just can't resist munching in the middle of a fight.

Sorites
Sep 10, 2012

I wish there was an option to take the quieter path if it's still possible to reach the intended destination. I hate needlessly alerting the whole map to my location.

Haerc
Jan 2, 2011

Piell posted:

C'mon people, the obvious choice is Sam "Adams" Beers

Seconding this one.

Teledahn
May 14, 2009

What is that bear doing there?

Wait, we've got a red-headed soldier lady?

That's FemShep

Teledahn fucked around with this message at 08:34 on Mar 1, 2014

FredMSloniker
Jan 2, 2008

Why, yes, I do like Kirby games.

Sorites posted:

I wish there was an option to take the quieter path if it's still possible to reach the intended destination. I hate needlessly alerting the whole map to my location.

The game doesn't model audio alerting enemies, does it? Or are you thinking of multiplayer or something?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sorites
Sep 10, 2012

FredMSloniker posted:

The game doesn't model audio alerting enemies, does it? Or are you thinking of multiplayer or something?

There are those tips about kicking doors and breaking windows alerting enemies. And you do tend to get a big wave of "enemy movement!" audio cues immediately after busting through something, even in the middle of your own turn. It seems like making noise influences where patrol groups go next; I'm not sure if it affects already-activated units.

• Locked thread