Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Felinoid
Mar 8, 2009

Marginally better than Shepard's dancing. 2/10

ulmont posted:

Display readout at 13:04 shows the LPR blowing up, to be price.

The timestamp the other guy's got (8:44 if anyone's browser doesn't cooperate) also shows a nice close shot on a Muton's getting flanked and killed, and subsequently the display of "Muton Light Plasma Rifle ..."

e:f;b

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Travic
May 27, 2007

Getting nowhere fast
I like to think that the amputated limbs from meched people get sent to a "Locks of Love" type organization for androids who want to be human.

Also a quick and dirty gif just for you Guava.

Travic fucked around with this message at 04:36 on Mar 27, 2014

mdct
Sep 2, 2011

Tingle tingle kooloo limpah.
These are my magic words.

Don't steal them.

Jade Star posted:

When have Mutons ever had LPRs? I have never seen this.

The first time Mutons can spawn (May,) for that entire month they spawn with LPRs. On easy and normal, they use LPRs for June as well. On classic and impossible they only use LPRs for that first month. It takes a little bit of their bite away from them.

Doctor_Blueninja
Oct 23, 2012

Just some guy with a college doctorate and a passing knowledge of what it means to be a ninja.

Mighty Dicktron posted:

The first time Mutons can spawn (May,) for that entire month they spawn with LPRs. On easy and normal, they use LPRs for June as well. On classic and impossible they only use LPRs for that first month. It takes a little bit of their bite away from them.

Do they still get the aim bonus that using an LPR brings? I don't know if I've ever noticed a difference in terms of their accuracy when compared to the Mutons who use the regular-sized rifles.

mdct
Sep 2, 2011

Tingle tingle kooloo limpah.
These are my magic words.

Don't steal them.
I think they might, but that's really hard to check without plumbing the code, and I can't do that. I haven't really noticed a difference either but my squad is usually a lot better by that point so it might just be negligible.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

Doctor_Blueninja posted:

Do they still get the aim bonus that using an LPR brings? I don't know if I've ever noticed a difference in terms of their accuracy when compared to the Mutons who use the regular-sized rifles.

I was wondering that too, and whether mutons who hit better are worse than mutons that hit harder.

I would tend to assume the LPR is worse given it's the earlier weapon but thin men remain consistently horrible with it throughout the game.

Jade Star
Jul 15, 2002

It burns when I LP

Holy balls. I have never noticed this before. I have always assumed Mutons carry regular plasma rifles all of the time. They have to be the only enemy that has multiple weapon variants.

Jade Star
Jul 15, 2002

It burns when I LP
Next Update may take a little longer than usual due to unforeseen and BS conditions. the sound of THE WIND in a mission got flagged for content ID on youtube.

Yup...

"Sound Ideas-Swirling Hurricane Storm Wind", sound recording administered by: BFM Digital

Shadowlyger
Nov 5, 2009

ElvUI super fan at your service!

Ask me any and all questions about UI customization via PM

Jade Star posted:

Next Update may take a little longer than usual due to unforeseen and BS conditions. the sound of THE WIND in a mission got flagged for content ID on youtube.

Yup...

"Sound Ideas-Swirling Hurricane Storm Wind", sound recording administered by: BFM Digital

You have got to be loving kidding me. How the hell do you copyright the sound of wind?

Rabidredneck
Oct 30, 2010

Not pleasant when angered.

Shadowlyger posted:

You have got to be loving kidding me. How the hell do you copyright the sound of wind?

Youtube's latest ideas for copyright protection. A lot of people like AngryJoe have posted numerous videos on how that system has completely screwed the pooch and opened a lot of doors for people to claim anything.

This gentleman, Gopher, does a great job of explaining things...https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oBGbIG8tXIo

goatface
Dec 5, 2007

I had a video of that when I was about 6.

I remember it being shit.

Grimey Drawer
It's better than that, it's something that's apparently been a known problem for at least 18 months: http://www.geekosystem.com/wind-sound-content-id/

edit - Apparently they've thrown a whole bunch of public domain recordings and sound affects up as part of the work they "defend".

goatface fucked around with this message at 23:54 on Mar 27, 2014

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

Shadowlyger posted:

You can, I think copyright a commercial sound library which is where most games get their sounds from. Morrowind has a bunch of sounds that keep showing up in modern games and giving me horrible flashbacks to getting my rear end kicked by dwemer constructs or being stuck in a blight storm.

It's likely that XCom just bought a sound library rather than hiring their own foley guy to do all the sounds.

It's still dumb though.

OwlFancier fucked around with this message at 23:54 on Mar 27, 2014

Brainamp
Sep 4, 2011

More Zen than Zenyatta

Shadowlyger posted:

Generally it's nothing to worry about. It's when the video gets taken down because of something you can barely hear for two seconds that "problems" occur.

Zudrag
Oct 7, 2009

Minister Robathan posted:

I find the backwards difficulty curve really strange. I like it because it's rewarding in a way, but after a few months (pretty much as soon as you get Carapace armor and Lasers) you just have so much damage output available that it can make just about any situation manageable. Random UFO's tend to cause me more trouble than anything, mostly because I use those to try to train more peeps. Hell, at some point, I think that that's the most difficult thing in the game!

I thought the difficulty curve leveling out was bizarre too at first. I guessed for a variety of reasons they felt it was too bullshit if in the late-game you still got steamrolled, even with a bunch of tools and more importantly, time invested that would be lost if you failed. Players (including myself) still get wrecked occasionally from being careless and hasty. I feel they made the right choice.

Jade Star posted:

Good lord that is silly. Hope you get that sorted out. If not, I'm sure no sound during that particular mission will be ok.

Tetrakarn
Nov 1, 2011

Jade Star posted:

It burns when I LP

JAIDS strikes again, I guess. But now its infected brains in its quest to make JStar LPs impossible.

Pvt.Scott
Feb 16, 2007

What God wants, God gets, God help us all
Record yourselves doing the foley work acapela. I recommend "pew-pew-pew" for lasers and sort of a growly "shhuuummm" for plasma. Just breathe into the mic for wind. Then record yourselves talking over yourselves.

ReturnOfFable
Oct 9, 2012

No tears, only dreams.

Pvt.Scott posted:

Record yourselves doing the foley work acapela. I recommend "pew-pew-pew" for lasers and sort of a growly "shhuuummm" for plasma. Just breathe into the mic for wind. Then record yourselves talking over yourselves.

I would pay to see this. Please Jade Star. How many XCOM Bitcoins do I have to pay to make this happen?

TheCosmicMuffet
Jun 21, 2009

by Shine

Pvt.Scott posted:

Cutting cabbage us good for a 'slash' or gunshot effect.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

Pvt.Scott posted:

loving this.

Punchfisting obviously must not include any sound effects other than "Booosh!"

Maekrix Waere
Jul 10, 2010

Pvt.Scott posted:

This would be amazing. Hey, if it worked for Saints Row, I'm sure it can work for XCOM.

GuavaMoment
Aug 13, 2006

YouTube dude

Maekrix Waere posted:

This would be amazing. Hey, if it worked for Saints Row, I'm sure it can work for XCOM.

Yeah except Loverboy was done on a synth instead of acapella. If we do this, we're doing it RIGHT.

OwlFancier posted:

Veloxyll
May 3, 2011

Fuck you say?!

OwlFancier posted:

loving this.

I think we could get away with having a pre=boosh windup sound.

Grapplejack
Nov 27, 2007

I used to play like Jadestar. Very slow, very tactical. But then, when this thread started up, I decided to try playing differently, the Guava way.
I have seen the light. Playing this game aggressively is a million times more fun, and I wish I had done this my first time through. Thank u Guava.

Jade Star
Jul 15, 2002

It burns when I LP

Grapplejack posted:

I used to play like Jadestar. Very slow, very tactical. But then, when this thread started up, I decided to try playing differently, the Guava way.
I have seen the light. Playing this game aggressively is a million times more fun, and I wish I had done this my first time through. Thank u Guava.

Get out. Don't encourage him.

Also, teaser quote from Guava from the next video; "Whoa, you're playing this way more aggressive than I would have here."

Mordaedil
Oct 25, 2007

Oh wow, cool. Good job.
So?
Grimey Drawer
I tried to use that mod recommended earlier to me, said to restore sleeves, but it seems to be broken by the latest patch. Anyone know what exactly changed so I can look into fixing it?

Kasrkin
Feb 16, 2014

Nothing suspicious here.

Jade Star posted:

Get out. Don't encourage him.

Also, teaser quote from Guava from the next video; "Whoa, you're playing this way more aggressive than I would have here."

Woah, i feel a great disturbance in the force. Like a million aliens cried out in terror...

Raygereio
Nov 12, 2012

Mordaedil posted:

I tried to use that mod recommended earlier to me, said to restore sleeves, but it seems to be broken by the latest patch. Anyone know what exactly changed so I can look into fixing it?
Have you tried this one?

Double Rabite
Mar 30, 2010

Typical Saturday night dance party.

Grapplejack posted:

Ironically I use to play way more aggressively, then I started playing on impossible and that ended very quickly. Now I play a little more like Jade does. Good news is I finished impossible and have moved onto an ironman/classic game.

TheCosmicMuffet
Jun 21, 2009

by Shine

Double Rabite posted:

Ironically I use to play way more aggressively, then I started playing on impossible and that ended very quickly. Now I play a little more like Jade does. Good news is I finished impossible and have moved onto an ironman/classic game.

Now I play passive-aggressively. I just alt+F4 out every time something I don't like happens until the save is corrupted.

At which point I decide I won.

Psion
Dec 13, 2002

eVeN I KnOw wHaT CoRnEr gAs iS

Double Rabite posted:

Interesting, since I'm the opposite: I'm playing Impossible and I'm being far more aggressive than I was on Normal. It's the only way to actually kill the swarms of high-HP shitlords in one turn, is a lot of run and gun, rapid fire, alloy cannon to the face. Plasma rifles just don't do enough damage unless I can focus fire, and there's a problem trying to focus fire when there are four enemies on the board, of which two need focus-fire to kill.

yes I'm tired of double Mechtoid drops, why.

also I just had the saddest thing happen. I was really late on getting Firestorms because of reasons but my plasma-gun armed interceptors with dodge modules were doing alright. Then I ran into a particular plot-UFO and just got obliterated. Totally. It escaped and now I, uh, assume it'll show up again but I don't actually know :negative:

Last Transmission
Aug 10, 2011

Psion posted:

also I just had the saddest thing happen. I was really late on getting Firestorms because of reasons but my plasma-gun armed interceptors with dodge modules were doing alright. Then I ran into a particular plot-UFO and just got obliterated. Totally. It escaped and now I, uh, assume it'll show up again but I don't actually know :negative:

Yes, it periodically reappears until you shoot it down with a Firestorm (each time counting as yet another UFO you missed in the monthly report :v:)

Zomborgon
Feb 19, 2014

I don't even want to see what happens if you gain CHIM outside of a pre-coded system.

So I'm trying out Training roulette for the first time, and my research got really screwed up due to trying to shore up weaknesses. So, by the time I got a few good captures, I had enough scientists to just skip lasers entirely. Progression is... odd, in this mode. We definitely need to see a run of this.

Also, everyone's getting loads of overwatch skills, so I'm pretty much forced into Jade-strategy.

Felinoid
Mar 8, 2009

Marginally better than Shepard's dancing. 2/10

Last Transmission posted:

Yes, it periodically reappears until you shoot it down with a Firestorm (each time counting as yet another UFO you missed in the monthly report :v:)

Even if you do shoot it down, it'll keep reappearing until you go to the crash site. I actually once had an Overseer show up in the sky while another one was still smoldering on the ground. Then I had two crash sites I could visit. At least until the first one timed out.

Psion
Dec 13, 2002

eVeN I KnOw wHaT CoRnEr gAs iS

Last Transmission posted:

(each time counting as yet another UFO you missed in the monthly report :v:)

argh drat it

that thing had better show in Asia this time instead of South America.

InfinityComplex
Feb 5, 2011

Nothing better than swinging around a little girl like a flail.
So after watching this for a while and started playing Enemy Unknown at a friend's place, I have finally learned of the concept of "acceptable losses" and amassing rookies at the ready to use a meatshields/martyrs for my elites. That and getting my shooty-beams up and running the earliest I can get them.

Jade Star
Jul 15, 2002

It burns when I LP
More teasers as I edit audio: The words "Eleried Jellyium" get said at some point during the video.

Jade Star
Jul 15, 2002

It burns when I LP
Operation Final Illbleed

The public train with alien transponders has run around Hong Kong and lured in an alien battleship ready for the taking. In the conclusion to the Slingshot DLC we board an alien ship while it is still flying, run around on the surface of it, and kill everything we see as we disable it so we can plunder the hell out of it. Metal.

Also the name generator for missions rolls around to two of my inputs this time. I tried to put in a few words that would have connections to some of the LP's that have been on SA. Some of them are a lot more subtle than this one might be.

Polsy

This mission is called Gangplank in the council screen and is the last of Slingshot. It's a very nice set piece, though somewhat recycled in terms of assets. The alien battleship is itself a map that you can normally have, only Slingshot has closed off a few sections of it and put it in a very nice skybox. Of course you see this map way before you'll see a normal battleship map, so at the time it all looks and feels very impressive and climatic to end the DLC on.

Mechanically it's a bit of an endurance mission. The kill count for me at the end is 20 and the map spans a good long distance. The distancing actually works in favor of the player for this mission. The enemies are so spread out and tend to do the council mission air drop thing so the mission lacks the heavy pressure of even a normal abduction mission of 12 or so aliens. It does mean you need to come stocked with medkits or be prepared to minimize any injuries you receive as the length of the mission will often dictate no time for wounded soldiers to slack off or play it safe behind the rest of the team. For the most part the trickle in of enemies means that you can set up and control most of the situations you encounter. Your soldiers will almost always certainly have heavy numerical advantage, and the delayed air drop to overwatch method of new enemy contacts often means you can take a turn shooting them while they stand in the open where they landed, or reposition your entire team to a more advantageous position, some Lightning Reflexes may be required.

The real dangers of the mission are attrition and over advancement. A soldier that gets shot will likely need a medkit, as all the enemies deal in the range of 6+ damage a hit, and few soldiers will have enough health to be out of danger of the next shot killing them. Thin Men poison spit will also either cost a med kit or take its toll on soldier health, pulling them away from full HP and toward the breakpoing of a LPR threatening to take them out in one hit. When medkits run out, the casualties can happen, and its a very long map with lots of chances for poison spit or a stray shot to catch a soldier even in cover. Over advancing can also lead to more air dropped enemies before a previous set have been taken care of, leading to a more difficult situation. This is usually a rare case, but advancing to flank or maneuver around the battleship can sometimes cause this. The nature of the map tends to make flanking maneuvers hard to begin with anyway, and often it's best to grab the high ground and work around that rather than trying to cover a large distance to work around enemy cover.

Personally for me though Gangplank becomes pretty easy once you get a feel for the lay of the land, or ship, and understand how the enemies are coming at you. Having an assault with Lightning Reflexes also makes things easier to set up. Draw off an overwatch shot and set up and kill the enemies as they drop down. Don't give them time to scramble for cover and you wont have a hard time killing them. This also means killing them before they have a chance to shoot at or spit on you. It's not always available as an option, but most of the time the air dropped aliens should be able to be safely killed on the turn they drop down from. Either set up well in cover so you're ready when the come down, or have an assault or two with lightning reflexes to open up a window of opportunity for you.

The Douchedisk. Let's talk about that guy. That friggen Cyberdisk is almost guaranteed to find you at a bad moment and wreck your poo poo with a point blank crit to the face or something. Count it as a small blessing if you only get hit by its grenade. What makes this Cyber Disk so bad? Well for whatever reason, every time I've seen it on this map it is pre-activated. No warning to it, no spotting it ahead of time. It just likes to appear out of nowhere, typically in the split hallway sort of area between the two sets of doors, and murder someone. Often I have had it float its way right through the first set of doors as everyone was stacking against them spending a turn or two to reload and catch up. When that happens it just floats right past you, flanks all your guys, and then blasts one dead with a critical hit. What a douche. There isn't really even anything you can do to prevent this. It's always activated somewhere in that part of the map and I can't find any way to predict when or where it will show up. It actually came later than I was expecting in the video. My plan in the video was to stack on the first set of doors and open them as fast as possible so I could get vision further into the area and try to spot it before it had a chance to float right past me for a flank and kill. This worked, sort of, but it still floated right through the second set of doors I had no way of getting to and looking past at that point. I don't know where this disk lives, where it hides on the map, but it always, always gets someone. I'll take it as a victory it only got to throw a grenade at one of my soldiers this time around. gently caress that Douchedisk.

In The Zone vs Double Tap

Both of these are pretty amazing skills. Either of them multiplies the force a Colonel sniper can output in a big way. Double tap is a straight forward second shot every other turn for the sniper, letting you put the hurt on a tougher target, or pick off two smaller targets in one turn. In The Zone removes the action cost from any kill against a flanked or uncovered enemy, potentially allowing the sniper to take as many shots in a turn as they have ammo for.

In The Zone
+ Potentially 8 shots in a turn, given an ample supply of aliens to shoot.
+ Absolutely the best skill for murdering hoards of Chrysallids, zombies, and other melee enemies. As well as flying targets that don't get the benefit of real physical cover like floaters, drones, and cyberdisks.
+ Provides an amazing follow up for targets that survive a cover destroying explosion, like grenades or a rocket.
- May be more difficult to set up its potential value for those unused to the skill.
- Is sometimes a little glitchy with overwatch kills.

Double Tap
+ Extra free shot every other turn.
+ Reliable consistent boost to damage.

Neither of these skills are bad choices. Both provide for a substantial increase in a snipers killing potential but do it in different ways. Double Tap is the easier more reliable skill choice. You don't need to think ahead or worry about anything, it's passive and it is always there. Every other turn, extra free shot, easy as pie. ITZ requires more thinking to it. You have to plan your turn ahead of time a little to get the most out of it. Either you have to force enemies out of cover if you plan on using it on entrenched opponents, else you need only plan your turn order and use the sniper at the appropriate time. ITZ requires you to gauge the situation and understand how the order you move your soldiers in will effect how you can use ITZ. Set up an explosion here, or take the first shot on a tougher enemy so the sniper can finish it off and trigger ITZ, etc. These sorts of bits of preplanning are what get you the most out of ITZ. Though sometimes even that is unnecessary when two groups of chrysallids pop out at you, as they can just be popped off one after another until the gun is dry.

Over all I'd say the stronger choice is ITZ. But this call comes down to play style and experience. Double Tap is great for emergency situations where you really need to pile damage on a target in cover that will have a good opportunity to harm you after the end of your turn. Putting a second sniper shot into a tough target might really save you. However if you manage yourself and don't find yourself in situations where you're panicking to muster every bit of firepower from your team then ITZ offers a lot more, allowing you to clear fields of aliens in a single easy sweep. Drones, chrysallids, floaters, these things just become tally marks for your snipers kill board and they'll die before they ever pose a threat to your team.

The final word is really this; Get one of each. Pick one of each and put them in the field together and see how differently they work out. I thought ITZ was clearly inferior to Double Tap when I started out. Then I gave it a try and found the situations where it really shined. The one of each approach will let you feel out how they differ from either and offer some flexibility on deployment if you have a strong idea of the kind of foes and situation you will see on the battlefield.

Jade Star
Jul 15, 2002

It burns when I LP
Also I made another thing. Of Guava's cat who is always in the back attacking the piles of plastic bags that Guava leaves around his home or churring in his lap.

Promontory
Apr 6, 2011
How and why are the aliens airdropping onto their own ship? :psyduck:

At 18:30 in the video a sectoid drops into a thin man cloud and is poisoned. Can all aliens be poisoned? It probably isn't a common occurrence in the single player campaign, but might be a fun trick in multiplayer mode.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cleretic
Feb 3, 2010

Ignore my posts!
I'm aggressively wrong about everything!
I think that most of the organic aliens can be poisoned. The mechanical units (Cyberdiscs and Seekers) can't be, and the poison-users (Thin Men and Chryssalids) can't be, but everyone else can.

• Locked thread