Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Archenteron
Nov 3, 2006

:marc:

Felinoid posted:

"What the hell do they want with all my chryssalid corpses?"

Sushi night. I think this actually happened on my first playthrough with Japan requesting a pil of chryssalid corpses, then a news ticker or the thank you info box popping up said something about some hot new food trend happening in Japan.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

chiasaur11
Oct 22, 2012

Archenteron posted:

Sushi night. I think this actually happened on my first playthrough with Japan requesting a pil of chryssalid corpses, then a news ticker or the thank you info box popping up said something about some hot new food trend happening in Japan.

Chryssalids are actually key to a cure for Alzheimers.

I know.

silentsnack
Mar 19, 2009

Donald John Trump (born June 14, 1946) is the 45th and current President of the United States. Before entering politics, he was a businessman and television personality.

Is that a hurricane that fumbled an Aim roll or... actually I don't know enough about Brazil to make a decent joke out of this. Or an indecent one. :eng99:

Speaking of countries, it seems Firaxis may have dropped the easter-egg-shaped ball in the news department, for odd RNG coincidences like shooting down a UFO on Independence Day (likewise with Bastille Day, Guy Fawkes Night, etc) or having a terror mission on April Fools' Day or abductions on Towel Day. Having extra lines voiced would probably be excessive, but text is cheap and one more noodle won't make the heap of spaghetti code any more unstable.

...actually reading through the list, it looks like a lot of the nation-specific headlines invoke stereotypes at varying levels of ludicrosity.

• Fans refused to leave the stadium after a football match between rival Argentinean teams was briefly interrupted by hovering lights in the sky
  • Aliens become the new hot trend in Japanese entertainment media as sightings grow exponentially across the island nation
  • British tabloids turn to legitimate news as public grows disinterested in 'fluff' during time of crisis
  • Mexico reports large-scale immigration as migrant workers choose to return home rather than risk involvement in alien conflict
  • Russian authorities say all claims of alien activity within the country are the result of political opposition's scare tactics

Felinoid posted:

Oh god, you know what would make EXALT absolutely loving terrible? If they could steal resources convince Vahlen to change teams.

Edit: Speaking of random coincidences...

silentsnack fucked around with this message at 20:40 on May 9, 2014

Cooked Auto
Aug 4, 2007

If you will not serve in combat, you will serve on the firing line!

Felinoid posted:

"What the hell do they want with all my chryssalid corpses?"

Some rich eccentric guy wanted something really really special for his stuffed animal display.

Felinoid
Mar 8, 2009

Marginally better than Shepard's dancing. 2/10

silentsnack posted:

Speaking of countries, it seems Firaxis may have dropped the easter-egg-shaped ball in the news department, for odd RNG coincidences like shooting down a UFO on Independence Day (likewise with Bastille Day, Guy Fawkes Night, etc) or having a terror mission on April Fools' Day or abductions on Towel Day. Having extra lines voiced would probably be excessive, but text is cheap and one more noodle won't make the heap of spaghetti code any more unstable.

The new plot mission happened for me on July 4 this run. I would've made Welcome to Earth jokes, but I didn't have a MEC for the mission. :negative:

Also I try to hit the final mission on December 24th if I can. I got your Christmas present right here, aliens. :tfrxmas:

TheCosmicMuffet
Jun 21, 2009

by Shine

Nethris posted:

Don't Exalt events uncover the cell responsible for you?

Huh, maybe you're right? I haven't played for a little while and I already forget.

I'm pretty sure the first time Exalt messes with you, it just shows up...

Oh I know what it is. I think sometimes there'll be a news ticker kind of thing about Exalt doing poo poo, and you can key off of that to go do a scan? Maybe I'm imagining that...

Well in any case, you can scan again in case they have an extra cell, but you can only covert-ops one at a time.

chiasaur11 posted:

I know.

Sort of. I mean, they eat low carb, but you don't have to be a chryssalid to do that.

It is kind of an irony that, despite their names, they literally never eat salid.

Seyser Koze
Dec 15, 2013

Mucho Mucho
Nap Ghost

chiasaur11 posted:

I know.

So we're looking at a land-based version of the movie Deep Blue Sea?

RagingPantsless
Feb 22, 2014
Because JadeStar requested the idea, and no one else has answered, I ask that the muton in the fishbowl be named 'Chops'.

Because bad puns.

RagingPantsless fucked around with this message at 11:59 on May 10, 2014

Roar
Jul 7, 2007

I got 30 points!

I GOT 30 POINTS!
You could also call him Lamb.

Jade Star
Jul 15, 2002

It burns when I LP
Hey thread, going to be a little while for the next update. Sick as gently caress and have spent last 3 days in bed miserable. Sometimes the JAIDS affects the biological too :(

Bruceski
Aug 21, 2007

The tools of a hero mean nothing without a solid core.

Jade Star posted:

Hey thread, going to be a little while for the next update. Sick as gently caress and have spent last 3 days in bed miserable. Sometimes the JAIDS affects the biological too :(

Time to just give in and buy a new Jade Star. I'd recommend pre-built, you can make your own from parts if you have decent thunderstorms but when everything winds up "we belong dead" and the pitchfork hits the windmill it's helpful to have a warranty.

The Shame Boy
Jan 27, 2014

Dead weight, just like this post.

Jade Star posted:

a shame, i just got horribly sick myself and was looking forward to a couple of your videos to help me stay stay sane as i'm bedridden for a while.

Captain Foo
May 11, 2004

we vibin'
we slidin'
we breathin'
we dyin'

HOOLY BOOLY posted:

a shame, i just got horribly sick myself and was looking forward to a couple of your videos to help me stay stay sane as i'm bedridden for a while.

this is what i did two weeks ago, it made the couple days i blitzed through the thread as enjoyable as possible

Rick_Hunter
Jan 5, 2004

My guys are still fighting the hard fight!
(weapons, shields and drones are still online!)

Bruceski posted:

Time to just give in and buy a new Jade Star. I'd recommend pre-built, you can make your own from parts if you have decent thunderstorms but when everything winds up "we belong dead" and the pitchfork hits the windmill it's helpful to have a warranty.

If the old one gets better then you can just keep it for a rainy day. Or when you need to guest commentate yourself.

Armadillo Tank
Mar 26, 2010

Bruceski posted:

If the Jadestar is fresh enough he can use Dr. Herbert West's reagent. You could also try to bargain with Guava Moment to return his soul to the mortal plane.

Fabricated
Apr 9, 2007

Living the Dream
This got me playing again. It's been so long though since I've last played I ended up replaying like 4 missions because I was coming up on the end of the month and I started a satellite nexus+satellite build too late to cover all my max panic countries before the council report.

I was annoyed I had to go to an earlier save but hey at least I'm prepared now.

...oh wait, I get a global panic reduction if I do the alien base assault before the end of the month. :doh:

Donkringel
Apr 22, 2008

Jade Star posted:

Let's just augment you.

Mech suit or genetic tampering?

By mech suit I mean "slicing off your limbs and taping brooms in the slots", and by genetics I mean "dodgy amphetamines from dodgier dealers."

I am working with limited xcom funbucks you see.

Zudrag
Oct 7, 2009

Jade Star posted:

You should probably not explode as your electronics have done. Get well soon!

Glad to see Fred kickin rear end and taking names. Never stop bringing Fred.

That Muton party in the...break room? went from pretty terrifying to pretty hilarious. I really like Flamethrower on missions like UFO/Terror missions because I don't use my full movement for my mechs most of the missions as I carefully work my way forward. I've had that wall in that UFO layout blow up on me far too often, resulting in me trying desperately to stuff grenades, fire, and rockets into the hole until the problem is solved. If I remember right, later there's another UFO that has a similar design to the Large Scout.

Obliterati
Nov 13, 2012

Pain is inevitable.
Suffering is optional.
Thunderdome is forever.
Having seen this LP's mixing up of the operation name generator I thought I'd make my own attempt but I've had no luck. As far as I can tell I'm supposed to edit both xcomstrategygame.int files to match, but my changes don't seem to take (even when I delete the one in the Steam folders). Can anyone shed light on what I'm doing wrong? I had to download Notepad++ just to open the thing so I'm not certain I did everything right.

silentsnack
Mar 19, 2009

Donald John Trump (born June 14, 1946) is the 45th and current President of the United States. Before entering politics, he was a businessman and television personality.

Obliterati posted:

Having seen this LP's mixing up of the operation name generator I thought I'd make my own attempt but I've had no luck. As far as I can tell I'm supposed to edit both xcomstrategygame.int files to match, but my changes don't seem to take (even when I delete the one in the Steam folders). Can anyone shed light on what I'm doing wrong? I had to download Notepad++ just to open the thing so I'm not certain I did everything right.

Notepad++ is a good text editor but apparently some of the .ini hacks also require hex-editing voodoo as detailed here. Half the guides on that wiki seem contradictory or out of date and the unwritten :nexus: warning applies. (for reference: awful game mods thread)

PlaceholderPigeon
Dec 31, 2012
Just a heads up for anyone interested in picking up the game due to this LP (like I am):

GreenManGaming has the base game for 10$ right now!

Enemy Within is going for 15$

Fabricated
Apr 9, 2007

Living the Dream
Sometimes the game is great at picking nicknames.

This playthrough I only got one sniper out of my first batch of recruits, she got "Omega".

The second sniper I got way later due to "New Guy" promoting the few remaining rookies I had. I made her my covert-op person and she's gotten 3 ranks just from Exalt missions. She got "Solo". :v:

My sprinter+carapace/ghost armor support who has made some clutch saves running across the map got "Fast Lane". My other support got "Doc". :allears:

chiasaur11
Oct 22, 2012

Fabricated posted:

Sometimes the game is great at picking nicknames.

This playthrough I only got one sniper out of my first batch of recruits, she got "Omega".

The second sniper I got way later due to "New Guy" promoting the few remaining rookies I had. I made her my covert-op person and she's gotten 3 ranks just from Exalt missions. She got "Solo". :v:

My sprinter+carapace/ghost armor support who has made some clutch saves running across the map got "Fast Lane". My other support got "Doc". :allears:

I had a psychic sniper with a triple digit killcount and superhuman aim.

Demon.

Meanwhile, the Australian assault who was a poo poo shot and a great sprinter?

Twitch.

TheCosmicMuffet
Jun 21, 2009

by Shine
The heavy who killed over 10 fellow squad mates with wildly badly aimed rockets? 'Fucktard'

Though, to be fair, I've edited my nicknames file.

And they're all insults.

Jade Star
Jul 15, 2002

It burns when I LP
Operation Adamant Chemical

Polsy

Council missions are usually pretty fun when ever they show up, however they aren't scaled to reflect a difficulty curve. A council mission in the first 2 weeks of the game is going to be as difficult as a council mission in the third and fourth months of the game. I think that's rather unfortunate because council missions serve a couple of useful purposes. They provide unique mission types to the player, they grant substantial rewards of cash, scientists, or engineers to the player, and they often offer a critical chance to lower panic in a country. They needed to be tweaked to check the difficulty though; in the first month of the game a rain of 12+ Thin Men is a tough challenge, often made worse by trying to manage a secondary objective, in this case the bomb and its timer. This late in the game though and my soldiers can mow right through them and not feel any pressure to beat a ticking clock.

Bomb disposal missions in particular can be very hard early on. You don't have the luxury of moving through the map at your own pace. Every turn you need to be moving forward and clearing ground to find power nodes to give yourself more time. Early game this can be the hardest kind of council mission out there, not counting DLCs. With out carapace armor your soldiers are usually in danger of being killed in one shot from a LPR, and a crit will guarantee it. Everyone is also vulnerable to poison spit early on, before tactical rigging and the respirator implants become common. LPRs will kill you, and poison spit will ensure one or two of your soldiers are slowed for a turn while the poison either wears off over time or a medkit is used to cure it. Both options costing you time while the bomb is ticking down. Yet the only winning tactic is to put your head down and clear the Thin Men as the come and keep hitting nodes or else you lose to the clock. It is very tricky sometimes. Control how you activate groups, only fight one group at a time if possible, and do what you need to to kill them quickly. Expend grenades and rockets and other usable items more readily than you might normally do.

When you've gotten the first set of armors, good MECs, and laser weapons for everyone, Thin Men do not really pose much of a problem unless you present them with a chance to group their fire all on one target. Flush them out of high cover if you have to, and keep moving still applies.

Isis and Delgado also need better nicknames, so fire away.

Colonel Assault Skills
Resilience vs Killer Instinct

Another clear defense vs offense choice. Resilience makes the soldier immune to critical hits. Straight forward and powerful for keeping your assault alive. Killer Instinct adds 50% Critical damage to any shots made after activating Run & Gun. A clear boost to their killing potential.

Resilience
+ Survivability. Don't get crit through cover. More importantly, never get crit while flanked!
+ Assaults are your farthest out soldier, and R&G can leave them over extended. Resilience makes sure they live if you get caught out too far and get flanked.

Killer Instinct
+ Pure damage potential. R&G plus Rapid Fire on a flanked target would be murderous.
+ Play like Guava? Hey, have even more damage when you Run and Gun all the time.
- Requires critical hits. Have to make your R&G count and get around on targets. Minor thing, but not always a guarantee.

Again, in all defense versus offense choices I am going to lean defense. Guava will disagree, and it's not a bad choice either way. I prefer the guaranteed knowledge of my assault never being critically hit over the potential to score amazing damage critical hits. If Killer Instinct was +50% damage on R&G, with no qualifiers, we'd be having a very different conversation. But because all shots don't crit and the average crit chance on a flanked target is ~60%, I go with the safer route and take Resilience every time.

Jade Star fucked around with this message at 07:15 on May 18, 2014

Halman
Feb 10, 2007

What's the...Rush?

Jade Star posted:

Isis and Delgado also need better nicknames, so fire away.

Isis obviously needs an Archer themed nickname. I say Duchess. (she loved that dog)

chiasaur11
Oct 22, 2012

Isis is in purple, with superhuman powers, fighting aliens?

Simple question.

Saint.

Teddybear
May 16, 2009

Look! A teddybear doll!
It's soooo cute!

chiasaur11 posted:

Simple question.

Saint.

Agreed. In addition, Delgado is French right? I say "La Bombe."

Thordain
Oct 29, 2011

SNAP INTO A GRIMM JIM!!!
Pillbug

Halman posted:

Isis obviously needs an Archer themed nickname. I say Duchess. (she loved that dog)

Would you perhaps say she, as a giant robot lady, is a walking..."danga zone"?

Also, since I did this mission about a week ago in month two of EU, I'll just say that it's not tough there either. I've yet to find a thin man mission that was intimidating.

Thordain fucked around with this message at 08:44 on May 18, 2014

Felinoid
Mar 8, 2009

Marginally better than Shepard's dancing. 2/10
Council missions may be easy, but in being simple and predictable, they serve another purpose: training. Council missions are a great way to train up fresh soldiers that shouldn't be going up against the higher enemies like Elites and Sectopods, especially if you've got LPRs to stick on them. The low Will, 4 health Thin Men also make excellent fodder for Mindfray training, to give your psionics a jumpstart. One of the common complaints about this game is that if you lose all your good soldiers a fair way into the game, there supposedly isn't a way to come back from it. I point to Council missions as at least a token counter-argument. (Also the ever-pathetic EXALT now, but the original game needed its own punching bag.)

And then in the end the Thin Men prove that they can still gently caress you up if you don't take them seriously. Using your last move to advance into the shroud, even just a little, bit you hard. You got lucky with that explosion too; I've had MECs get hit by the explosion in that same relative position to cars. I would say Isis should get a nickname that reflects her near scrape, like Lucky, or Walking Dead, but Saint is too good to pass up, especially on a Support MEC.

Dareon
Apr 6, 2009

by vyelkin

chiasaur11 posted:

Simple question.

Saint.

This sounds good, but I have to suggest Rio "De Janitoro" Delgado, in honor of the difficulty pronouncing Buenos Aires.

MadDogMike
Apr 9, 2008

Cute but fanged

OwlFancier posted:

The image of an exalt agent sprinting away from XCom HQ cackling like dick dastardly and clutching the petty cash box is a glorious one.

Wish I had that guy; just triggered EXALT right after I finished the "capture the battleship in China" mission. I sold off some stuff from that mission to prep for when my weapons research finished a day later, EXALT proceeds to steal about $190 from me :P. I swear the bastards must hack the RNG more than the aliens too given how many 2 damage crits and the like I've seen. At least the one mission I've done where they have to capture the transmitters was hilarious; a nicely placed rocket blew open all the cover and then it was a literal shooting gallery since for whatever reason they prioritized moving into the now zero-cover transmitter area over actually shooting even when my agent wasn't in position to hack their comms. Didn't matter they could keep taking ridiculously low damage when they dance around right in front of my entire squad for the gang-blasting. Bonus points for actually running right up to my punchy MEC and suffering the inevitable result to boot. Even managed to get the "stun an EXALT" achievement, which is more luck than I've had with any of the mutons I've run into (guess where all the high damage RNG I was missing with EXALT keeps showing up?).

Discendo Vox
Mar 21, 2013

We don't need to have that dialogue because it's obvious, trivial, and has already been had a thousand times.
I'd like to suggest Hoss for Delgado.

Kharn_The_Betrayer
Nov 15, 2013

Fun Shoe
Delgado is thin in Spanish.... OH MY GOD THE THIN-MEN HAVE PERFECTED THEIR INFILTRATION TECHNIQUE :tinfoil:

Nekomimi-Maiden
Feb 27, 2011

I'm here to help you.
Rule number one, don't get me killed.

MadDogMike posted:

running right up to my punchy MEC and suffering the inevitable result to boot.

I think you mean "to boosh". :colbert:

As far as nicknames go, I approve of Saint Isis and Hoss Delgado.

ZoninSilver
May 30, 2011
Regarding the Jetboots vs One for All choice, my last game had my two mecs take one of each, and the fact that OFA doesn't cost an action made running into a decent position, letting someone use it as cover, and then using an ability without cancelling OFA was surprisingly helpful. That said, I can count on one hand the number of times I actually used that, compared to how often the boots would have spared me one or more turns taking the long road. I also went with basically every defensive perk on that Mec, which probably helped it not be entirely suicidal.

Vincent
Nov 25, 2005

Rio Duran Duran Delgado
Or, since Guava apparently works with chileans, how about Rio "Guaton" Delgado. (it means fat.)

Bruceski
Aug 21, 2007

The tools of a hero mean nothing without a solid core.

Rio Diamond Delgado, because of the Copacabana song. "His name was Rio, he wore a diamond" et cetera.

Or is it Sputnik
Aug 22, 2009

Oh, Ho-oh oh oh, oh whoa oh oh oh
I'll get 'em caught, show Oak what I've got
Isis Tellar is Saint, and Rio Delgade should be Mortar. It's a weapon for launching explosive grenades, as well as a tool you crush things in. Also used in masonry, but I got nothing there.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kirenski
Sep 5, 2012

Or is it Sputnik posted:

Isis Tellar is Saint, and Rio Delgade should be Mortar. It's a weapon for launching explosive grenades, as well as a tool you crush things in. Also used in masonry, but I got nothing there.

Well mortar in both mortar and pestle and in masonary share the same origins, not so far fetched. You can say he blows up what's binding things?

I'll go for Saint for Isis but what's Hoss for Rio refering to? From the dictionary or from Harry Dresden and his blowing up of things?

• Locked thread