Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Xerophyte
Mar 17, 2008

This space intentionally left blank

Rabidredneck posted:

One thing I never liked is how aliens get an automatic move when you uncover them. If I catch some out in the open, I'd like to take advantage of that, not watch while my soldiers give them time to move into cover.

Eh, the way unit discovery works for the two sides is very much tilted in favor of the player as is. Aliens are never on overwatch when discovered and will never shoot at you if they discover you on their turn. As long as the first soldier you move does all the map uncovering you will always have your full set of options in dealing with whatever you encounter. I guess it's a compromise: the aliens will still end up hiding and in cover when found but having them move openly until they're found means you don't end up spending 30 minutes playing "track down the last Aquatoid in the last broom closet of the S/S Swabby".

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Xerophyte
Mar 17, 2008

Ragnar "No-limbs" Tiny Turtle
Nittien "Uutalbar" Stopmperud
The council obviously awards the Champion Bootlicker Prize, giving Aim and Will. First one goes to Tiny Turtle, in recognition of the one controllable appendage that will remain for him.

Xerophyte
Mar 17, 2008

I'll stump for Battle Scanner: taking it and tossing one first thing you do on a mission gets you line of sight of a large new area without activating anything nasty at precisely the time when space to move is at a premium. Having it really improves the consistency of the opening turn for me. It also means I can move more quickly a lot of the time, which is nice with the Meld timers in EW. Also, being able to ignore the seekers' stealth field and shoot them out of the sky is extremely satisfying, gently caress seekers.

Disabling Shot is nice, especially for captures, and I do give it to my 2nd sniper but Battle Scanner feels like it helps a lot more on my first.

Xerophyte
Mar 17, 2008

Willie Tomg posted:

In the original game I'd literally make a special prefix thingy for people's names to designate them as redshirts with crap aim, low strength, poor TU's, etc. They'd be first through the door every single time. Stop them in the open and let the actually good soldiers take shots with their innate Squad Sight that everyone has in X-hyphen-Com, and mellow out. The game wasn't that hard once you realized that while not everyone was expendable, you definitely had a bunch of soldiers who were.

I had a few trooper name suffixes I used in UFO and TFTD to designate troopers as psi, heavy weapons, high reaction (mostly used for guarding UFO doors), high accuracy and, of course, disposable fodder to walk in front and do any necessary dying. Organizing so the right people are usually in the right places takes a lot more time -- and wastes a lot more turns -- than rushing everyone out, especially since you can't choose who goes where in the Skyranger. It's also not needed to win, but it helped keep campaign casualties below 100 or so. Seeing Jade play on streams is mildly horrifying.

Of course, I played with the difficulty bug and didn't know it. TFTD was one hell of a shock.

• Locked thread