Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Speedball
Apr 15, 2008

Rushing lasers isn't quite as important (or as possible) as it was in the base game since there's one…other… thing that comes much earlier that has a lot more punch now. Plus I'm pretty sure research in general takes more time now, to encourage you to actually get scientists in addition to engineers and nothing but engineers.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Speedball
Apr 15, 2008

Green Intern posted:

If you get a string of bad luck, you can experience the phenomenon I like to call The Panic Chain, where a soldier panics, shoots another one of your soldiers, panicking the second soldier. the process continues until your squad is dead, your rip out all of your hair, or the RNG takes pity on you. Whichever comes first.

:xcom: Though with the smaller squad sizes this happens less often in this version of the game than in Original X-Com.

Speedball
Apr 15, 2008

ulmont posted:

1220 scientist-days, if UFOPaedia is to be believed. So assuming an average of 20 scientists and no labs, 61 days.
http://www.ufopaedia.org/index.php?title=Research_(EU2012)#Research_Point_Cost

Does that factor in the research credits from live captures?

Speedball
Apr 15, 2008

RickVoid posted:

I occasionally gives things to you, not out of pity, but simply so that the pain is much, much greater when it takes them away from you later.

This has been my experience. It's just setting you up to yank the rug out from you.

Speedball
Apr 15, 2008

Personal theory as to the terrible aim of your soldiers: You know how hard it is to get the nations to fund you? It's just as grudging for them to send you competent soldiers. Guava's original X-Com LP is all too appropriate here too: it's a ragtag bunch of misfits in an outfit funded by the lowest bidders.

Speedball
Apr 15, 2008

Bobbin Threadbare posted:

I don't feel bad for the gene-modded soldiers. After the X-COM project ends, they get to go home and be goddamn superheroes.

I'd like to think at least one of them gets to be a superpowered stunt double who gets hired to do superhero movies and they save a million bucks on production costs when the guy they film is actually able to leap small buildings in a single bound.

Speedball
Apr 15, 2008

TwistedSynapse posted:

(Oh god I literally have Peace Walker on the brain today!)

What hath I wrought? Forgive me, Something Awful!

Speedball
Apr 15, 2008

Fast-moving supports are great for any mission that requires running around, I find. Bomb disposal, terror mission civilian rescue, etc.

Speedball
Apr 15, 2008

Bruceski posted:

Always overwatch
move one inch over ten turns
hard is fun, honest!

No longer quite applicable in Enemy Within due to meld canisters counting down, but still!

RickVoid posted:

First in the UFO door.
I have no armor.
Tell my wife that I love her.

I love this one.

Speedball
Apr 15, 2008

I've never actually beaten this game on Classic! It's just something about how X-Com front-loads its difficulty. I get too frustrated before I get to the balance-tipping point.

Speedball
Apr 15, 2008

GoatLord posted:

All this Snake talk is foolish. She is a lady covert-ops sniper. Clearly her codename should be Wolf.

What, you saying a girl can't be code-named Snake? Bah! I bet the Boss herself was briefly a Snake.

Speedball
Apr 15, 2008

Trying out the Not Created Equal and Random Skill Level-ups options on a new game...never actually managed to get over the hump on classic before...

First mission, all four of my starters are ladies, at least two from the UK. I'm calling this the Lioness Squad.

Speedball
Apr 15, 2008

Jumpy-legs or regenerating health is such a tease. They're both such useful enhancements to have. Ultimately for me it's down to whether the character's class is one better suited to tanking or flanking.

Speedball
Apr 15, 2008

chiasaur11 posted:

I always go with jump legs.

Health only regens once the armor health is gone, and I do my best to ensure nobody gets that banged up.

Ah, true, but the other benefit of health regen is they're out of the hospital much sooner than normal too!

Speedball
Apr 15, 2008

Bruceski posted:

The Bureau is a fine game that makes a commendable effort at a nifty ending, despite the attempt falling a bit flat. The main flaw in the game is that it came out riding on X-Com's hype.

All things considered it might have been much more fondly remembered if they had never attached the name X-Com to it. At that point it only served to piss people off who wanted a good strategy game.

Speedball
Apr 15, 2008

Felinoid posted:

Yeah, it would definitely be looked on a lot better if it had been its own thing. It's a pretty good game that unfortunately messes with XCOM "lore", for the people who care about that. But anyone who got pissed off because they were expecting a strategy game only has themselves to blame, because even the most cursory look at it should make it obvious it's a squad shooter.

No that's not what I meant, I meant, it was announced way before Enemy Unknown got announced so people thought it'd be like what happened with Syndicate, and that there would be no strategy game. Which is sort of like going to a Shrimp Lovers Club and announcing that you're going to be serving up chocolate candies shaped like shrimp and nothing else. Even if you love chocolate, you still hunger for that shrimp and having this nonetheless tasty treat shaped like something else you were hungry for feels a little insulting. And results in feelings that are unfair to the chocolate.

Am I making sense?

Anyway. First real stab at Classic in a while. No way am I ironmanning it. I'll keep going on if a mission loses one or two soldiers but succeeds, but god drat it my first terror mission has all my best troops except Zhang out. And no MECs that are undamaged. GRRRRRG. Should have made a second one by now...

Speedball
Apr 15, 2008

My reaction to the boosh was about like his.

EDIT: Fixed idiotic problem. Should go straight to the boosh now.

Speedball fucked around with this message at 07:47 on Jul 18, 2014

Speedball
Apr 15, 2008

I swore to hell that I was linking it to 13 minutes specifically, something must have gone wrong.

Speedball
Apr 15, 2008

Bruceski posted:

I just tested, and SA's auto-formatting on paste that breaks embedded URLs also snips off the timestamp. I wonder what the reason was for implementing it.

How annoying, I had to key the whole drat thing in manually.

In any event: estimate for number of booshes: lucky # 13.

Speedball
Apr 15, 2008

Hardest part for getting used to Classic from Normal for me wasn't the increased enemy health. It was that the Officer Training School isn't pre-built! Grr.

Speedball
Apr 15, 2008

Shivs have a very high base accuracy, right? I think only very high ranked soldiers cam compare.

Speedball
Apr 15, 2008

Feinne posted:

I think having an actual Lab also makes it harder for EXALT to hack your research or something?

When they hack your research, having a laboratory reduced the amount they screwed up.

Research times got increased for Enemy Within, too, to incentivize either building a lab or live captures. Or both.

Speedball
Apr 15, 2008

Cooked Auto posted:

Isn't that the same site that has the story about demons invading the real world only to be curbstomped by the US military because of really contrived and stupid reasons?

...Doom?

Speedball
Apr 15, 2008

Calax posted:

So, reading this thread, and a friend, got me to actually play Xcom.

Doing enemy within and no second wave/special rules and...

well....

I think I'm terrible at this (that's from a while ago now... I've moved to mostly plasma, but Lauren Hall has dropped to 51 will.

This is why you want the secondary heart on everyone you can spare, once you get it. It keeps their will nice and high in addition to keeping them from dying. Also: there should be an Officer Training School upgrade that lets the strong-willed leader substitute their will for a weaker squadmate's. And one that makes them heal faster. (The fast-healing gene mod is also good for this).

Speedball
Apr 15, 2008

Once booshed an alien through a wall--and into something explosive, which killed my poor XCOM trooper behind it.

That mission was a total gong show.

Speedball
Apr 15, 2008

Oh I forgot to mention that the death made someone else panic, and he shot my sniper and then she panicked. :xcom: does not do it justice.

Speedball
Apr 15, 2008

What happened there? Hitler tried to take a reaction shot with a rocket launcher, missed and blew up all his friends?

(Or was it explosive auto-shot?)

Speedball
Apr 15, 2008

Glazius posted:

Are all SHIVs that mobile, or just the Hover SHIV?

Once you get the Advanced Servomotors foundry upgrade, they're all pretty fast, though I think even regular SHIVs are pretty zippy compared to human soldiers.

Speedball
Apr 15, 2008

I scarcely use it, but even the phalanx cannon is a big improvement over the default missiles.

Speedball
Apr 15, 2008

You could probably solo a UFO with a Shiv, if it's got self-repair. Or a really good Assault with all the defensive perks and regenerating health.

Speedball
Apr 15, 2008

Hunt11 posted:

I don't know if it has been discussed or not but what gene mod do you favour when it comes to the brain slot?

That's easy, neural dampening on the weak-willed, feedback on the strong.

Speedball
Apr 15, 2008

Felinoid posted:

I just realized that the current release schedule will be right at the end of my gimmicky real-time run of Enemy Within. They could not have timed it better if I had phoned them and asked. :allears:

Well that just means you'll have to wait 20 years to start playing XCOM 2!

Speedball
Apr 15, 2008

gatesealer posted:

I'm really surprised by this announcement considering it's being released in November. Good job keeping it secret for so long guys. Now I don't have to worry about the lose of hype after a year.

Firaxis has been doing this for a couple of years now. They just surprise-launch stuff with announcements six months prior. It's a lot better than other game developers who wear out their welcome long before the product is released, I guess.

Speedball
Apr 15, 2008

Dinictus posted:

Oh god the new Snakemen :allears:

They look loving awesome and I won't hear anyone say otherwise!

I hope you can still give your own guys crazy superpowers like regeneration and leaping to the tops of buildings. I loved having that amount of customization.

Speedball
Apr 15, 2008

Drone-user class, too. That should be pretty interesting. I thought that maybe it was just a flying SHIV, but apparently having your personal stunbuddy flying around will be a class of its own?

I think the sword-guys are going to be a replacement for Assaults. Like Assaults, they're meant to get up close and personal with enemies, it's just that instead of simply going for flanking shots, they go straight for the enemy directly and cut their goddamn heads off.

It also looks like spotting enemies doesn't immediately trigger them, which means stealth gameplay. That'll totally change the game.

I'm also curious as to how the financial metagame will be handled instead of satellites...

Speedball
Apr 15, 2008

Felinoid posted:

I hope in XCOM2 we'll be able to send multiple interceptors at a single target. Having to wait turns like it's a kung-fu movie seems even more silly in a 3d arena.

We're insurgents with a flying base in XCOM 2. We're the ones they'd send interceptors after!

Speedball
Apr 15, 2008

I always thought that there ought to be multiple victory conditions for the campaign. You know how in Civilization you can win by science or military or culture, right? Well, here we're winning by PSI powers, but what if there was, like, a meld ending where we amass enough meld (like 200 units or more) and launch an assault on a meld factory to be able to make our own and transform every soldier on earth into a super-mutant. Or a tech ending which can only be reached by researching every last thing on the tech tree, then one last tech that takes a month to finish and keeps out all aliens forever by making sure no UFO ever goes undetected. Just spitballin' here, that way there'd be more than one thing to shoot for when finishing the game.

XCOM is weird in that the beginning of the game is the hardest.

Speedball
Apr 15, 2008

Hey, as a scientist, her main means of income is applying for grants, and the aliens have all the grant money now.

Speedball
Apr 15, 2008

Compliment accepted all the same. :)

Working on the next update for THAT as I speak.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Speedball
Apr 15, 2008

Jake Solomon must have noticed how popular Skill Roulette was because skill-copying is going to be a thing in XCOM 2. So your sniper can pass double-tap onto another character.

• Locked thread