Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Chard
Aug 24, 2010

Yeah but then sometimes that panicked soldier takes an extra shot and puts one right between the Intimidator's eyes, it's a very :smugdog: moment.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Chard
Aug 24, 2010

Apparently drive-through daiquiri places are really common in some parts of the American south. They get around the "don't drink a huge cup of liquor and sugar while driving" by taping the straw to the side of the cup. Suddenly, a sealed container! :allears:

And as for SS vs SS Snipers (gotta love that they have the same acronym), I usually try to train up one of each so I can make a situational choice depending on the type of mission. Maps with long sightlines can accommodate Squadsight, but for breaching UFOs I might bring the Snapshot or just forgo a Sniper entirely. Basically there is no "right" answer, it depends entirely on how you play the game.

Chard fucked around with this message at 18:13 on Feb 11, 2014

Chard
Aug 24, 2010

For what it's worth I've never seen one myself, but I've seen people post about them in several threads so unless I'm the victim of some vast and senseless conspiracy I'm pretty sure they exist.

Chard
Aug 24, 2010

Monkey Fracas posted:

I can hardly ever resist just vaporizing more than 3 aliens at once with a rocket from across the map before they know what's going on. Just toooo tempting.

Those are usually the moments the game remembers that 10% miss chance on rockets, so my heavy decides to hold his launcher backwards and waste half my team :v:

Chard
Aug 24, 2010

Keeshhound posted:

When I tried using it I tried placing them where I thought the enemy was going to go, and it never got triggered and kept beeping for the rest of the mission, so I swore them off entirely. Was that a bug, or was it patched later, or do you just always drop the mine right on top of an alien?

It hasn't been patched yet as far as I know. I'm pretty sure it has to do with enemies moving through the mine's bubble at an angle, like up a ramp. Best bet is to use them on flat ground and trigger them the same turn with some other explosive.

Chard
Aug 24, 2010

The two prisoners were cuddling at the end of the mission :kimchi:. I have to say, in that situation I'd have gone after the outsider instead of the sectoid, to save time later. Just blast the little guy and set up a new ambush

Chard fucked around with this message at 08:17 on Feb 27, 2014

Chard
Aug 24, 2010

Jade Star posted:

Depends on what gets put in it. Nothing overly goony. I'll certainly consider it.

The current name files has lead to some funny operations in the past. Like Operation Hot Mother, or Operation Black Stranger.

Where's the fun in that?

Operation Permabanned Fedora.

Chard
Aug 24, 2010

Pvt.Scott posted:

Samantha "Blood Diamond" Beers.

Or maybe "Natty Lite."

I was gonna say "Duff" but Natty Lite is way better with that 'do.

Chard
Aug 24, 2010

Fister Roboto posted:

I just want to say that all of you are awful at coming up with nicknames. This is an example of how a real nickname is made:

Thanks for a) a lovely webcomic and b) not even making your own suggestion! :thumbsup:

Chard
Aug 24, 2010

Nah dude you did a great job, that is hilarious.

Chard
Aug 24, 2010

seaborgium posted:

This may sound dumb, but I've had to just have guys hunker down so they won't kill whatever I'm trying to capture. You can't trust the AI, so you may as well make it impossible to kill them otherwise.

I did this once and the alien ran up to the only assault that had the free attack on enemies closing to 4 tiles and welp :downs:

Chard
Aug 24, 2010

goatface posted:

I've... seen things you people wouldn't believe... [contemptuous laugh] Assaults missing 95% rapid fire. I watched laser-beams glitter in the dark near the 1 square away teleport. All those... rockets... will be missed in time, like [small cough] 5 squares... over... that way.

Time... to die...

*Seeker flies out of Roy Batty's hand and strangles your last troop*

Chard
Aug 24, 2010

Never played TFtD but that pretty much sums up my mental image of the old games.

Chard
Aug 24, 2010

Dareon posted:

Or fedoras.

It's a real shame there isn't a "stereotypical East coast mobster" voice option, because that's the only thing I can hear fedora MECs saying.

"Mnyahh, see here bub, Earth don't take none too kindly too you big galoots wreckin' up the joint" *booshes Muton into a speakeasy*

Chard
Aug 24, 2010

Bacchante posted:

We all know Vahlen has the Arc Thrower prototypes in her lab and was just dying for a chance to test them on people. She was probably ecstatic rather than scared.

"Hahaha! Zese new ones should vork on EXALT forces, commander! Soon I shall unlock zer brains!"

Chard
Aug 24, 2010

drat got beaten on Space Alert but yeah, go play Space Alert.

Chard
Aug 24, 2010

GuavaMoment posted:

I'm old and remember playing, I think it was The Omega Virus? Real-time tactical board games rule and I look forward to raging at Jade when he fucks everything up in it.

gently caress YEAH Omega Virus. Oldbro high five. Space Alert is a better game for adult players though, since it relies more heavily on cooperation drinking

Chard
Aug 24, 2010

Felinoid posted:

Wiki has a list. In general you won't need more than 10 of anything at any one time unless you want to go heavy on craftables. It's usually a good idea to keep around least half a dozen on hand for Council requests too. If you need to sell corpses, Sectoids and Thin Men are the best candidates because they will literally rain down from the sky in much higher numbers than you will ever need, and will keep doing so for the whole game (Sectoids will disappear at some point in base EU, but not EW). Then there's stuff that's not used for anything outside of their autopsy (and Council requests): Mechtoids, Sectoid Commanders, and Muton Elites.

It's been a while since I played but is the bolded bit accurate? I seem to remember they stopped showing up in EW as well. Either way, Sectoid supplies will significantly decline in the late-game so it's a good idea to never completely empty your supply of corpses.

Chard
Aug 24, 2010

I enjoy spacewar wankery as much as anybody but if you seriously think humanity will survive long enough to get to that point if we're still doing stuff like having wars then just lol

Chard
Aug 24, 2010

To indulge a little, my favorite space-fantasy tech is the shields from this book: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Mote_in_God%27s_Eye. Basically they're spheres of pure absorption fields that turn anything that hits them into stored heat, which slowly radiates into the void. This means that as ships take fire they go from utter blackness up through the rainbow until they go pure white and release all that energy like a bomb. It's a great book, go read it.

Hardly less realistic than some of the ideas being posted in here.

Chard fucked around with this message at 06:40 on Sep 11, 2014

Chard
Aug 24, 2010

Bloodly posted:

There is a reason, but it's spoilers to say so.

Yeah we'll get there when we get there. Suffice it to say the aliens could easily have annihilated us before humanity was even aware of them but they chose not to.

Chard
Aug 24, 2010

Man how did I not know that Alloy Cannons don't drop off with range? :psyduck: I usually don't rely on shotguns much at all but that changes things.

Chard
Aug 24, 2010

GuavaMoment posted:

You need to stop drinking ginger beer, assuming you do. In fact all of you need to stop drinking ginger beer.

Wow didn't expect to find The Wrongest Opinion in this thread.

Chard
Aug 24, 2010

Ghostwoods posted:

Have any of you even had Irn Bru from a glass bottle? Eh? Eh?

Feh. :colbert:

I had some of this when I visited Scotland, it tasted like kidney failure and I wish I could find it here

Chard
Aug 24, 2010

Nalesh posted:

Deep fried in irn bru.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PDimFZ0peu4

Close enough??

Chard
Aug 24, 2010

Anime Reference posted:

No. No, it does not.

As it loving should be, sunshiney beaches are an abomination best reserved for the desert hell that exists below.... let's say Monterrey.

Chard
Aug 24, 2010

SD beaches got lots of needles too and also algae in that disgusting lagoon

e: that whole Fiesta Island situation

Chard fucked around with this message at 04:16 on Oct 15, 2014

Chard
Aug 24, 2010

jade fix your thread

Chard
Aug 24, 2010

I used to think that Panic was the best option because it supposedly disables an enemy for a turn, but the thing is they still have a chance to take a potshot at your team instead of hunkering down or whatever. After losing the psionic who panicked a Muton to the return fire I gave up on that.

Overall I think Inspiration is the better choice, espeically for your first brain guy because it helps every other psionic you bring along to level up faster. That +30 will is nothing to sneeze at, it basically guarantees a 100% hit on enemies that aren't even Sectoids.

Also sorry for being snarky Jade, glad you're back.

Chard
Aug 24, 2010

XCOM isnt really the kind of game I'd expect people to speedrun anyway, they usually do Mario-types or shmups that are mostly perfect pattern-entering games.

Chard
Aug 24, 2010

Veloxyll posted:

:ssh: we have more than 5 senses.

Are you telling me that Ms. McGower my incredibly ancient grade school teacher lied to me? I will have none of your flagrant falsehoods, good day.

Chard
Aug 24, 2010

IMJack posted:

Though I imagine getting shot with a plasma rifle wouldn't feel like much. A brief heat, then nothing.

PBF so good

Chard
Aug 24, 2010

Dareon posted:

I can confirm that SHIVs can turn the valves. Also that the end cutscene looks a little weird if the game picks your MEC trooper to be the one gesturing threateningly at Annette.

Do you need hover SHIVs to get up the towers? I hope not, I want to see a regular SHIV do it's cute little bunnyhop and fly 30 feet straight up.

Chard
Aug 24, 2010

If he agrees to pound Blitzkriegs all through a video I will send Jager and NyQuil.

Chard
Aug 24, 2010

Your plan is excellent Jade, this stretch of the game is basically all leading up to the last bit and doesn't introduce much else. Can't wait to see what you come up with.

Chard
Aug 24, 2010

Donkringel posted:

I was playing it in long war. They had mostly elites. Long story short it went poorly.

What actually happens if you fail that mission? By the point I'm 100% certain where their base is I'm usually in endgame comp-stomp mode.

Chard
Aug 24, 2010

Pro xcom med-ward strat: tough out the pain with advil and get recreational with your script.

Chard
Aug 24, 2010

Nalesh posted:

http://a.pomf.se/tjmrzr.webm

This game is amazing sometimes.

This is pretty great, I love weird graphical freakouts.

Chard
Aug 24, 2010

Kallev posted:

I don't think flip properly describes that action. He did roughly half a flip, transitioned into a barrel roll, and started twisting. He completed the flip mid air, facing the opposite direction as when he started, then finished twisting about while landing. This thin man must have been infiltrating as a gymnast somewhere, trying to steal the Earths acrobatic secrets.

Space gymnast eh?

"Remember, the humans' defensive weak point is down"

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Chard
Aug 24, 2010

Vote early and often

• Locked thread