Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Edward Mass
Sep 14, 2011

𝅘𝅥𝅮 I wanna go home with the armadillo
Good country music from Amarillo and Abilene
Friendliest people and the prettiest women you've ever seen
𝅘𝅥𝅮

With Jay Leno stepping down again, NBC is promoting Jimmy Fallon to Tonight Show host, while taking Saturday Night Live cast member Seth Myers and giving him the Late Night spot. As such, a new thread was requested.

The major players, by order of show's debut:

The Late Show with David Letterman (CBS, 11:35PM EST)
Letterman's been doing shows for 30 years now. His contract runs until 2015, so it's anyone's guess if he steps down or not.

Last Call with Carson Daly (NBC, 1:36AM EST)
Originally a standard talk show, Last Call has become an 'underground' show, done entirely on tape, interviewing celebrities on location and featuring music guests that are deemed 'next big thing's.

Jimmy Kimmel Live (ABC, 11:35PM EST)
Not really live, but taped as close to live as possible. Quickly becoming a force in late night.

The Late Late Show with Craig Ferguson (CBS, 12:37AM EST)
Low-budget show featuring a gay robot skeleton and a pantomime horse.

Conan (TBS, 11PM EST)
20 year late night veteran, his network contract also runs until 2015. My pick to replace Letterman at the Late Show.

The Pete Holmes Show (TBS, 12AM EST)
Notable comedian Pete Holmes' show is less a talk show, more a sketch comedy/interview show.

The Tonight Show Starring Jimmy Fallon (NBC, 11:35PM EST)
Debuts February 17th

Late Night with Seth Myers (NBC, 12:37AM EST)
Debuts February 24th

Guests can be found here.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rageaholic
May 31, 2005

Old Town Road to EGOT

Pre-emptive RIP The Tonight Show Starring Jimmy Fallon :rip:

Also, Conan made this joke in his monologue tonight and it already made its way onto his official Facebook page:

E the Shaggy
Mar 29, 2010
Let's see how much Leno shits all over NBC tonight and in the subsequent weeks even though they gave him literally everything he wanted except for one time.

E the Shaggy
Mar 29, 2010
The crowd is filled with nothing but 60+ people.

E: LOL! Immediately shits on NBC. And an Anthony Weiner joke...jesus.

Yoshifan823
Feb 19, 2007

by FactsAreUseless
An OJ joke.

AsInHowe
Jan 11, 2007

red winged angel

E the Shaggy posted:

Let's see how much Leno shits all over NBC tonight and in the subsequent weeks even though they gave him literally everything he wanted except for one time.

The answer - all the time, in the most backhandedly petulant of ways.

E the Shaggy
Mar 29, 2010
Last show! Better unload every lovely joke we didn't get the chance to use! HUGH GRANT! OJ! ANTHONY WEINER!

Rageaholic
May 31, 2005

Old Town Road to EGOT

E the Shaggy posted:

Last show! Better unload every lovely joke we didn't get the chance to use! HUGH GRANT! OJ! ANTHONY WEINER!
Did you hear about OJ? Did you hear about this?

E the Shaggy
Mar 29, 2010
Hahaha Bill Maher for the win.

Yoshifan823
Feb 19, 2007

by FactsAreUseless
Marky Mark speaking the truth.

E the Shaggy
Mar 29, 2010
Its very odd that Billy Crystal is looking into the camera, talking to Jay Leno who's sitting right behind him.

Iowa Snow King
Jan 5, 2008
Lotta Justin Bieber jokes for his last show ever

Yoshifan823
Feb 19, 2007

by FactsAreUseless
As a fan of relentlessly mocking Justin Bieber, I'm actually ok with the frequency, I just wish the quality were better.

E the Shaggy
Mar 29, 2010

Yoshifan823 posted:

As a fan of relentlessly mocking Justin Bieber, I'm actually ok with the frequency, I just wish the quality were better.

Yeah but for your last show ever? Yeesh.

Rageaholic
May 31, 2005

Old Town Road to EGOT

E the Shaggy posted:

Yeah but for your last show ever? Yeesh.
I haven't seen the episode yet but that seems like a pretty solid indicator of why Leno is getting kicked off this time.

Who wants to see a 60+ year old dude mock Justin Bieber a bunch to an audience of other 60+ year olds?

Yoshifan823
Feb 19, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

Rageaholic Monkey posted:

I haven't seen the episode yet but that seems like a pretty solid indicator of why Leno is getting kicked off this time.

Who wants to see a 60+ year old dude mock Justin Bieber a bunch to an audience of other 60+ year olds?

I mean, I think I've laughed a couple times, none of which were actually Leno.

E the Shaggy
Mar 29, 2010
This whole thing just seems so bitter.

Ewww loving Kim Kardashian? Seriously?

Yoshifan823
Feb 19, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

E the Shaggy posted:

This whole thing just seems so bitter.

Ewww loving Kim Kardashian? Seriously?

Bitter is Leno's bread and butter. I think Fallon will be able to hold on to Tonight better than Conan, but we have not heard the last of Jay Leno.

Waffleopolis
Apr 24, 2005

It's time....for the MAIN event!
I am currently not watching it, sitting in a chair quietly thinking to myself. Is what I'm doing better than what's going on?

E the Shaggy
Mar 29, 2010

Waffleopolis posted:

I am currently not watching it, sitting in a chair quietly thinking to myself. Is what I'm doing better than what's going on?

Pretty much, unless you were over the age of 65. What an underwhelming final episode, but I guess this just perfectly encapsulates Jay Leno on the Tonight Show up to this point.

Yoshifan823
Feb 19, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

Waffleopolis posted:

Yeah, but Fallon starts in a few, you should watch that. Or Craig, whatever floats your boat.

E the Shaggy
Mar 29, 2010
Ok, I may be a cynical rear end in a top hat, but Leno gave a good farewell speech for sure, so at least there's that.

Yoshifan823
Feb 19, 2007

by FactsAreUseless
Somehow, the tears and platitudes don't mean as much the second time around.

Taylor Swift
Feb 11, 2010

by FactsAreUseless

E the Shaggy posted:

Ok, I may be a cynical rear end in a top hat, but Leno gave a good farewell speech for sure, so at least there's that.

Yeah im not a huge fan of the guy at all, but its hard not to feel emotional for the guy

tuckfard
Dec 9, 2003

Just chillin
Tonight's Kimmel was pretty funny! Monuments Men cast was on (including you know who) and they just ragged on Matt once he was finally there.

Olibu
Feb 24, 2008

Yoshifan823 posted:

Somehow, the tears and platitudes don't mean as much the second time around.

This was my exact thought, that I had a certain deja vu going on.

E the Shaggy
Mar 29, 2010
This the first time I've ever seen Jimmy Fallon's show to be honest. He has his own fatter version of Ed McMahon/Andy Richter?

Taylor Swift
Feb 11, 2010

by FactsAreUseless

E the Shaggy posted:

This the first time I've ever seen Jimmy Fallon's show to be honest. He has his own fatter version of Ed McMahon/Andy Richter?

Yeah, hes arguably the second best sidekick. Behind Geoff Peterson of course

Cool Cherry Cream
Jun 15, 2013
Letterman tossed in a quick "Goodnight Jay" as the show ended. The Late Night Wars are now over.

Tekne
Feb 15, 2012

It's-a me, motherfucker

Out with a whimper describes this perfectly.

Based on some stirrings in the media, Leno may already have an automobile show lined up with the History Channel, which would be more factual/historical than the rest of their programming (not saying much). I wonder if Leno will be a better host with a subject he doesn't have to fake interest in.

Robnoxious
Feb 17, 2004

Soooooo, Leno goes to CNBC or E! or SYFY or USA or whatever property is owned by Kabletown? Or does FOX just do it and get into the game?

Also, I greatly approve of the OP having a lone Craigy gif with the pantomime horse and nothing else. :)

Rageaholic
May 31, 2005

Old Town Road to EGOT

Holy poo poo, hahaha. I DVR'ed Fallon to see 2Chainz's performance and it caught the tail end of Leno. During Garth Brooks' performance when the audience is singing along, there's this woman singing horribly out of key that you can hear over the rest of the audience.

Haven't seen the rest of the episode yet but that's definitely not an indication of a quality last show.

bobkatt013
Oct 8, 2006

You’re telling me Peter Parker is ...... Spider-man!?

Rageaholic Monkey posted:

Holy poo poo, hahaha. I DVR'ed Fallon to see 2Chainz's performance and it caught the tail end of Leno. During Garth Brooks' performance when the audience is singing along, there's this woman singing horribly out of key that you can hear over the rest of the audience.

Haven't seen the rest of the episode yet but that's definitely not an indication of a quality last show.

Come on what would you consider to be a good final show?

Things like this?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cGh6ZgPZFhs

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-3AjfobLpws

wa27
Jan 15, 2007

Conan playing along to a full performance of Free Bird with Will Ferrell was a great last show as well. In fact Conan's whole final week on the Tonight Show was a thing of beauty and I wish I had all those episodes saved for eternity.

EasyEW
Mar 8, 2006

I've got my father's great big six-shooter with me 'n' if anybody in this woods wants to start somethin' just let 'em--but they DASSN'T.

bobkatt013 posted:

Come on what would you consider to be a good final show?

Things like this?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cGh6ZgPZFhs

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-3AjfobLpws

All things considered, Garth singing "Friends In Low Places" seems like a fitting way to put the Leno era to bed (again).

sbaldrick
Jul 19, 2006
Driven by Hate

wa27 posted:

Conan playing along to a full performance of Free Bird with Will Ferrell was a great last show as well. In fact Conan's whole final week on the Tonight Show was a thing of beauty and I wish I had all those episodes saved for eternity.

Conan's bitterness at the end was maybe the best Tonight Show in years.

bobkatt013
Oct 8, 2006

You’re telling me Peter Parker is ...... Spider-man!?

sbaldrick posted:

Conan's bitterness at the end was maybe the best Tonight Show in years.

I still laugh at the concept of s Bugatti Veyron dressed as a mouse, while the song "(I Can't Get No) Satisfaction" by The Rolling Stones played in the background

Dr Tran
Dec 17, 2002

HE'S GOT A PH.D. IN
KICKING YOUR ASS!
The weirdest part of watching the Olypmics last night was seeing an ad for the last Leno and they had a quick montage of all the past Tonight Show hosts and they bothered to include Conan.

Pretty upset I wont be in town to try to get tickets for when Craig hosts Price is Right

TL
Jan 16, 2006

Things fall apart; the centre cannot hold; Mere anarchy is loosed upon the world

Fallen Rib
Did Letterman have anything to say last night? His show was on in the gym last night and I saw he showed a picture of him talking to Leno from the 80s, but there was no sound.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Taylor Swift
Feb 11, 2010

by FactsAreUseless

CaptainYesterday posted:

Conan (TBS, 11PM EST)
20 year late night veteran, his network contract also runs until 2015. My pick to replace Letterman at the Late Show.

Just noticed this in the OP, is this a real rumour or just spitballing