Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Rageaholic
May 31, 2005

Old Town Road to EGOT

Count me in as being way more excited about the Late Night archive than anything. Well that and more Conan Without Borders specials. Those are some of the best things to ever come out of his TBS show.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nostalgia4Butts
Jun 1, 2006

WHERE MY HOSE DRINKERS AT

Good for Conan, he's doing good stuff

Der Kyhe
Jun 25, 2008

Good for him on trying out different things with the format. I mostly watch Conan via youtube and such anyway.

...But I still find it ironic that the last high-profile guy to get replaced on the talk show scene, especially because he stuck on his principles concerning the traditions of the show, is the first "old one" to completely abandon the classic "standup, sketch, 2 guests and feature"-format.

Der Kyhe fucked around with this message at 11:22 on May 4, 2018

mcbexx
Jul 4, 2004

British dentistry is
not on trial here!

Wh... Wha... What about Andy?

Der Kyhe
Jun 25, 2008

Well, there is this studio in upstate New York for old co-hosts, sidekicks and news anchors where they can roam free and tell funny anecdotes and interruptive punch lines to any interview they like, and work the audiences 24/7 with their hijincks without any interruption from the network.

Unfortunately you can't go there to meet them no matter how much you would want to.

pwn
May 27, 2004

This Christmas get "Shoes"

:pwn: :pwn: :pwn: :pwn: :pwn:
Completely useless but neat fact: Mayim Bialik was Colbert’s lead guest on May 11 in 2017 and 2018.

tarlibone
Aug 1, 2014

Am I a... bad person?
AM I??

Fun Shoe

pwn posted:

Completely useless but neat fact: Mayim Bialik was Colbert’s lead guest on May 11 in 2017 and 2018.

Little known fact: the name "Mayim Bialik" is one of only a few known names that has no correct pronunciation.

Stare-Out
Mar 11, 2010

Secretary of Homeland Security and woman who doesn't care what it takes to find Jason Bourne, Kirstjen Nielsen.

That alter ego caught me off guard. Goddamn that's good.

Edward Mass
Sep 14, 2011

𝅘𝅥𝅮 I wanna go home with the armadillo
Good country music from Amarillo and Abilene
Friendliest people and the prettiest women you've ever seen
𝅘𝅥𝅮
https://twitter.com/jimmyfallon/status/1011079815057891328

RAICES = Refugee and Immigrant Center for Education and Legal Services.

Rageaholic
May 31, 2005

Old Town Road to EGOT

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QjvzCTqkBDQ

I normally hate these Carpool Karaoke things, but as a lifelong Beatles fan, this loving rules and a lot of it is genuinely touching :allears:

pwn
May 27, 2004

Rageaholic Monkey posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QjvzCTqkBDQ

I normally hate these Carpool Karaoke things, but as a lifelong Beatles fan, this loving rules and a lot of it is genuinely touching :allears:
For real. It was enough to get me to watch an episode of James Corden.

pwn
May 27, 2004

Fallon and Colbert did a neat crossover last night

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YxoEXO-htKg

Fallon had the same opening, but it’s not on their YT page

Edit: it was also Conan’s return to The Tonight Show, after 8 1/2 years :)

pwn fucked around with this message at 01:01 on Jun 28, 2018

Steve Vader
Apr 29, 2005

Everyone's Playing!

Oh, that cold open was Conan's return. I was thinking he actually guested, which would've been must-watch.

Nostalgia4Butts
Jun 1, 2006

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YGCXoh638wk

Milo and POTUS
Sep 3, 2017

I will not shut up about the Mighty Morphin Power Rangers. I talk about them all the time and work them into every conversation I have. I built a shrine in my room for the yellow one who died because sadly no one noticed because she died around 9/11. Wanna see it?
Another week without Conan.

Rageaholic
May 31, 2005

Old Town Road to EGOT

Conan to cut musical performances when it downsizes to 30 minutes in January

This sucks :smith:

I’ve been watching Conan since the 90s and I’ve been turned on to several bands because of seeing them perform on Conan.

pwn
May 27, 2004

So long to these moments

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1ozIfSxda0Q

Milo and POTUS
Sep 3, 2017

I will not shut up about the Mighty Morphin Power Rangers. I talk about them all the time and work them into every conversation I have. I built a shrine in my room for the yellow one who died because sadly no one noticed because she died around 9/11. Wanna see it?

Rageaholic Monkey posted:

Conan to cut musical performances when it downsizes to 30 minutes in January

This sucks :smith:

I’ve been watching Conan since the 90s and I’ve been turned on to several bands because of seeing them perform on Conan.

Any word on comedians? It seems unsporting to excise that segment since it's been a staple of talk show variety shows for... eons now. It's a way for new acts to get their foot in the door thanks to exposure. Just do one interview, do more remotes/skits and keep the musical guest/comedian.

pwn
May 27, 2004

Get rid of the monologue, since that has never ever been his strong suit. Or shorten it to pre-2007 length. He only ever began stretching it out to prepare for Tonight and, well,

He seems like he sleepwalks through it most nights. I imagine he has to want to let it go too. And monologues aren’t viral material

Milo and POTUS
Sep 3, 2017

Cold open on a new remote, cut to 3 minutes of monologue, commercial, back to remote, commercial, interview, music/comedian. I hope too many lower level types don't lose their jobs though. Maybe do it mon-fri.

zakharov
Nov 30, 2002

:kimchi: Tater Love :kimchi:
30 minutes of bits and remotes. They are what he's good at.

Stare-Out
Mar 11, 2010

Best thing would be if he kept doing the show as it is now, never aired the final thing and just made more scrapisodes out of it.

Nostalgia4Butts
Jun 1, 2006

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8YM5Ftb2lTc

Looks like Conan got the rights to his NBC shows?

pwn
May 27, 2004

But, all the music is scrubbed from the show. So it isn’t “complete.” So this news is about as exciting as a wet fart.

Conan needs a package deal with the labels like NBC has. Do you think they pay huge sums for each song their late night bands play? No! They pay a flat, yearly rate. Conan and TBS have no such deal.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wync3LxAjQo

Presumably CBS has this deal, as well, given the music played by Paul Shaffer and Jon Batiste over the years

it’s funny because, for a dude who loves music so much he carries a guitar around all the time like a security blanket, Conan is pretty fuckin’ cheap about actually paying for any of it on his show

EDIT: side-by-side:

A difference of 4:30. Mama mia, that’s-a lot of missing content-a!

pwn fucked around with this message at 20:13 on Sep 13, 2018

X-O
Apr 28, 2002

Long Live The King!

If it’s a full archive of Conan I don’t really give a poo poo about 95% of the music. Just gimme those sweet weird rear end comedy bits.

pwn
May 27, 2004

X-O posted:

If it’s a full archive of Conan I don’t really give a poo poo about 95% of the music. Just gimme those sweet weird rear end comedy bits.
I’m glad someone uploaded this one, because it’s amazing and will never be officially posted

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EJx9BNbzHKY

tarlibone
Aug 1, 2014

Am I a... bad person?
AM I??

Fun Shoe

X-O posted:

Yeah, I'm less interested in what Stone Temple Pilots were doing in 1998, and more interested in what they were predicting would happen... in the year 2000.....

And I say this as a fan of Stone Temple Pilots.

Bring on the staring contests!

Stare-Out
Mar 11, 2010

Yeah I don't give a poo poo about the music performances as most of them are just some obscure indie bands I'd normally skip anyway. The stuff with Conan is all that matters to me.

X-O
Apr 28, 2002

Long Live The King!

The only thing that will certainly be missing that I’ll be bummed about is the Walker Texas Ranger Lever. But you can easily find all the best ones online anyway.

tarlibone
Aug 1, 2014

Am I a... bad person?
AM I??

Fun Shoe
This conversation inspired me to look this up:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kmzpdd4pWvM

When you watch it, tell me: did you get nervous about the upcoming joke when Conan said the word "ebonics?" Because I sure as hell did.

Sir Lemming
Jan 27, 2009

It's a piece of JUNK!
I really don't think it's about being "cheap", music rights seem to be the absolute most complicated thing ever. There are tons of beloved shows that have been butchered in their home video release due to obscure music licensing issues.

Rageaholic
May 31, 2005

Old Town Road to EGOT

Sucks about the musical performances, but ohhhhhh myyyyyyy gooooooood, I was not expecting this to happen at all and it's such a nice surprise :swoon:

I haven't seen a lot of these bits in ages, so it's gonna be a blast going back through them!

Stare-Out
Mar 11, 2010

He already posted his debut show

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_q471WB5Tgw

That intro is pretty great.

Rageaholic
May 31, 2005

Old Town Road to EGOT

Stare-Out posted:

He already posted his debut show

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_q471WB5Tgw

That intro is pretty great.
I'm watching it now and yeah it is.

I love when John Goodman comes out and the camera cuts to what's supposed to be the studio audience but it's a bunch of old people in suits :lol:

Andy looks so young! I know it was 25 years ago, but drat. Somehow Conan doesn't look like he's aged at all in 25 years.

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

🚣RowboatMan: ❄️Freezing time🕰️ is an old P.I. 🥧trick...

Sir Lemming posted:

I really don't think it's about being "cheap", music rights seem to be the absolute most complicated thing ever. There are tons of beloved shows that have been butchered in their home video release due to obscure music licensing issues.

WKRP :smith:

Nostalgia4Butts
Jun 1, 2006

The music would’ve never made it. The quality looks so good after years of watching uploaded vhs copies of shows on YouTube

Timby
Dec 23, 2006

Your mother!

Scrubs is a mess, too.

zakharov
Nov 30, 2002

:kimchi: Tater Love :kimchi:
The Wonder Years got it the worst I think

Nostalgia4Butts
Jun 1, 2006

Daria?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

X-O
Apr 28, 2002

Long Live The King!

Timby posted:

Scrubs is a mess, too.

zakharov posted:

The Wonder Years got it the worst I think

Both have almost all the original music on their DVD releases.

Streaming Wonder Years though... might as well not even watch it.