Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

OldSenileGuy
Mar 13, 2001
I would have figured Lorne would stick it out until SNL50, but maybe he's just tired and doesn't care about arbitrary numbers like that

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nostalgia4Butts
Jun 1, 2006

WHERE MY HOSE DRINKERS AT

thats been the word for a long time, w/r/t seth and lorne. They're smart to plan ahead especially after lorne left for a while in the 90s

god fallon has done nothing to evolve at all. everyone else learned after year one and changed themselves hard. Colbert got a new producer and they stopped selling so many interview slots to CEOs and billionaires and app developers, and stopped putting 5 min of the crowd chanting his name to cover that they didnt have enough material. Him doing all the Trump stuff happened at the same time, so he was able to stop telling everyone hes not the same person as he was on comedy central

Kimmel leaned in hard to being the disney mouthpiece to his advantage and did more family and remotes, if he keeps it up he's gonna end up becoming the next Regis.

i just feel bad that The Roots are stuck there. They're so goddamn good.

Timby
Dec 23, 2006

Your mother!

Nostalgia4Butts posted:

thats been the word for a long time, w/r/t seth and lorne. They're smart to plan ahead especially after lorne left for a while in the 90s

Lorne left in the '80s, and Dick Ebersol's reign was so terrible it almost got SNL canceled.

pwn
May 27, 2004

This Christmas get "Shoes"

:pwn: :pwn: :pwn: :pwn: :pwn:

Nostalgia4Butts posted:

just a reminder that Letterman is on Kimmel tonight

Reminder for new page that Letterman is on Kimmel tonight

pwn
May 27, 2004

Also i’ve discussed the matter of Lorne and Fallon with my esteemed colleagues, and we’ve decided that the old man has some tricks up his sleeve. I don’t expect to see him retiring until 2025, and Seth is staying at Late Night until then. I doubt Fallon’s going to be let go next year, the feelers etc are a negotiating tactic. I don’t doubt the veracity of Djarum’s post, insofar as that the things they post are things they have heard, but no, I do not believe these changes are coming next year.

This is My Word and as such, is beyond reproach

Timby posted:

Lorne left in the '80s, and Dick Ebersol's reign was so terrible it almost got SNL canceled.

Let us not forget that of the four times SNL almost got or even was briefly cancelled, two were on Lorne’s watch (Summers of 1986 and 1995.)

pwn fucked around with this message at 02:04 on Oct 29, 2020

Nostalgia4Butts
Jun 1, 2006

Timby posted:

i always put it in my mind when he produced kids in the hall for some weird reason

Djarum
Apr 1, 2004

by vyelkin
Well Marci Klein was the heir apparent for decades before she abruptly disappeared in 2013 after 30 Rock ended. I have never heard why or what happened, which the fact she hasn’t done anything in nearly a decade makes it seems like she is blacklisted for something.

Lorne had basically let her run the show there for a couple of years, which her leaving and him having to take back up the role full time is likely pretty hard for a 75 year old guy. I agree that I expect him to stay on as EP at least in name until the 50th but getting someone in there to do the work and having Lorne there to hold their hand so to speak for awhile is a good idea. You don’t want another abrupt handoff like in the 80s which nearly killed the show.

With Fallon I don’t have much of a opinion of him one way or another. He tries to have a show through the lens of a 90s teenager which at times is entertaining, but I don’t think it works in Late Night. Kimmel has mostly got the balance of Letterman and Leno going on, very safe with just a little edge. Colbert I feel has finally gotten his groove after a very rocky early run. I will say Colbert feels like 80s Carson in many ways.

I am interested in seeing who they might possibly get if they do go along with replacing Fallon.

JazzFlight
Apr 29, 2006

Oooooooooooh!

Djarum posted:

With Fallon I don’t have much of a opinion of him one way or another. He tries to have a show through the lens of a 90s teenager which at times is entertaining, but I don’t think it works in Late Night.
For me, Fallon was the ultimate Obama-era late night host.
Everything's "going great," everyone's politically asleep, it's just one big privileged party. I enjoyed it and tuned in almost every night.

Post-2015/2016, I almost couldn't stand watching him. I don't really have anything against Fallon himself, it's just that his show wasn't suited for the Trump era at all. I mean, it's no wonder everyone jumped ship to Colbert, if only for the monologues.

As for the past few years, I just haven't bothered watching any late night.

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

🚣RowboatMan: ❄️Freezing time🕰️ is an old P.I. 🥧trick...

The mention of Kids in the Hall got me thinking, so here's a mini blurb, because I'll always care way more about that show than anything else Lorne has or will ever do.

It's so weird when I see old SNL skits with Mark McKinney in them. He was on I think one season of SNL, mid 90s, and then either left or was dropped. But he was by far my favourite Kid in the Hall. It has never come across on SNL, but what I appreciated the most out of his KitH stuff was how he really got into the parts, really treated them like acting roles. Sure, he was over the top with stuff like Satan, the Head crusher, the old man ("Please, please pleeeeease!") and Chicken Lady, but I always thought he was at his best when doing bit parts or just not necessarily spouting jokes all the time.

One of my favourite McKinney skits is the Trucker, and it doesn't even have a punchline. And that's fine.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=M3bD37VDNFc

Anyway, I always thought he was underused on SNL, and as a Canadian, part of me felt like most Americans didn't even notice him. And if your only exposure to him WAS SNL, I can't blame you.

Anyway, that's my blurb.

Edit:

Holy poo poo, there's a sequel (after the Spring bit)...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5Jd6Bjnr2nA

And one about plungers:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TKhO475rzRU

Rupert Buttermilk fucked around with this message at 12:36 on Oct 29, 2020

Djarum
Apr 1, 2004

by vyelkin
KitH is criminally underrated. I ended up getting a complete run of it in HD that someone spliced in the stuff that was cut out of the versions circulating on streaming now a while back. I think it is stronger comedy than SNL due to it not having the history and preconceptions of what SNL is supposed to be. Honestly it feels much more like the first season of SNL where it was dangerous and you have a lot of people trying stuff because it is funny to them not caring if it works or not. Television comedy in general is entirely too formulaic. It is what makes old Letterman episodes so great still is you have no idea what is coming next, you could have a Monkey Cam, they would do a episode in a hotel room or an airport terminal or you could have some wacky character or stunt happen out of nowhere. It was weird and dangerous in a way television really isn't anymore. Granted over the years that slowed down a lot with Dave and even he mostly fell into a formula especially at CBS.

pwn
May 27, 2004

Let me take you back to before all this began, if only for a brief moment.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bmdmx-ZcVvE

Yeah, dude went ham with a tilt-shift lens, but I still think it’s cute.

Der Kyhe
Jun 25, 2008

Djarum posted:

I don’t think it has been talked about in any media yet. There are plenty of people in comedy that are talking about it though. I know of two people that have had NBC feelers in recent weeks.

It is the worst kept secret that Lorne has been grooming Seth to take over his position at SNL. It is why they have been starting to groom Amber Ruffin to take over Late Night. The word is Lorne is looking to retire next year, which normally I wouldn’t put a ton of faith in since you hear that every 5 or so years but there are a lot of things lining up with that which make it seem more likely than in the past.

It is also no secret that NBC is not happy with Lorne having control over their late night programming. His production company reaps the lions share of profit from all three programs. The Tonight Show was a massive cash cow for them in the Carson and Leno days and they get a much smaller cut of the pie with Lorne. They want to get back to a situation where they own the show and have more of a voice in how things are done which has not been the case with Fallon. They have not been happy with many aspects of the show for awhile but are mostly powerless to do much due to it being ran by Lorne.

The current idea at least is getting someone younger and edgier to host. Basically taking the Letterman/Conan strategy. The view is that 10:30 is not what it was even 20 years ago and they want something that is a little dangerous and can draw in a younger audience that will stay and grow over the years. Also they want to do the show in LA again because they feel like Kimmel has that advantage because he is there and they are missing guests.

This all is from what I have heard from a lot of people in both comedy and the management side of entertainment. The idea is they would want to do some basic tests after the new year and test shows with the finalists in the Spring to announce the replacement by May.

Of course this all depends on who they can get interested in taking the gig and who they like best. There is also a chance that everyone sucks and they keep Fallon out of lack of options but as of right now the view is he is likely gone no matter what even if they have to drag the corpse of Carson out again.

That’s all I know right now. Like I said it is purely rumor and speculation right now. There is a lot of smoke. For example NBC would have extended Fallon quite some time ago if he was staying.

Do we know if Conan would be interested? :D

Djarum
Apr 1, 2004

by vyelkin

Der Kyhe posted:

Do we know if Conan would be interested? :D

Conan is 57 and evidently both him and Turner are quite happy with each other. I quite enjoy what he is trying to do with attempting to break the standard format of the late night talk show.

That being said I would expect the Smiths to reunite before you would see Conan ever go anywhere near NBC again. There is a LOT of bad blood even still.

Nostalgia4Butts
Jun 1, 2006

he also just dealt with them for years to get the rights to the old episodes

im pretty sure the mel brooks serious jibber jabber interview convinced him, with all his stories on trying to get Sid Ceasar into movies.

Milo and POTUS
Sep 3, 2017

I will not shut up about the Mighty Morphin Power Rangers. I talk about them all the time and work them into every conversation I have. I built a shrine in my room for the yellow one who died because sadly no one noticed because she died around 9/11. Wanna see it?

pwn posted:

Oh I loved the intro. Hell I liked the show for a little while too. I just kinda felt like it became a chore to watch

MorrisBae
Jan 18, 2020

by Athanatos
David Spade makes the most sense for The Tonight Show and I'd love to see that happen

Comedy Central cancelling Lights Out was bullshit

no broccoli please
Apr 20, 2007

no broccoli please you are nice here is a Nathaniel Hawthorne avatar

pwn posted:

That's a great one, I do miss these though.

https://youtu.be/XBprGAx0Pzg
Late Late Show with Craig Ferguson

https://youtu.be/BcmYs3RnolM
90s Late Night with Conan

Nostalgia4Butts
Jun 1, 2006

MorrisBae posted:

David Spade makes the most sense for The Tonight Show and I'd love to see that happen

Comedy Central cancelling Lights Out was bullshit

im goddamn down for that

dudes a great guest

Nostalgia4Butts
Jun 1, 2006

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=k2uBPpx41_I

pwn
May 27, 2004

The Big 3 nets all have election night coverage tomorrow night, so there won’t be shows. Colbert is doing another live election special on Showtime at 11/10c. Surprisingly, he doesn’t currently have a Friday show scheduled, but Corden does, as does Kimmel.

Schedule for the week starting 2020.11.02
Subject and likely to change

Colbert
Monday - Cher, John Oliver, JoJo
Tuesday - Preempted for CBS News coverage of the 2020 presidential election; Live show on Showtime
Wednesday - Shepard Smith
Thursday - Larry Wilmore

Corden
Monday - Pete Butigieg, Travis
Tuesday - Preempted for CBS News coverage of the 2020 presidential election
Wednesday - Henry Winkler, The Kills
Thursday - TBA, Christine and the Queens
Friday - Henry Golding, Ella Mai

Kimmel
Monday - John Lithgow, Freddie Highmore, Givēon
Tuesday - Preempted for ABC News coverage of the 2020 presidential election
Wednesday - TBA, Gregory Porter
Thursday - David Duchovny, The Bachelorette, Jon Pardi
Friday - Charlie Hunnan, Why Don’t We

Fallon
Monday - Anthony Anderson, Elizabeth Warren, Big Boo and Sleepy Brown feat. Killer Mike and Big Rube
Tuesday - Preempted for NBC News coverage of the 2020 presidential election
Wednesday - Sarah Silverman, Dua Lipa, Steve Kornacki, Common feat. Black Thought
Thursday - Kenan Thompson, Kate Mara, James Blake
Friday - Milo Ventimiglia, Marc Maron, Oneohtrix Point Never

Seth
Monday - John Mulaney
Tuesday - Preempted for NBC News coverage of the 2020 presidential election
Wednesday - Leslie Jones
Thursday - David Sedaris

Conan
Monday - Andy Daly
Tuesday - The CONAN Repeat Election Night Special
Wednesday - Al Franken
Thursday - Nicolle Wallace

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

Me from ten years ago finding out that OPN is on a late night show: :eyepop:

Crazy how a dude who was known for making out there electronics has blown up like this.

tarlibone
Aug 1, 2014

Am I a... bad person?
AM I??

Fun Shoe
I'm so God damned burned out. I haven't been able to watch more than a few minutes of any of this poo poo for a few weeks now, and it was hard plowing through it before.

And I am certainly not in the mood to sit and watch nothing get decided Tuesday night, only to have Trump win in the next few days. Because, c'mon, we all know it's going to happen.

Yeah, I think I might just check out tomorrow night.

I really wish I did drugs, because I don't know if I can handle the hangover I'd have Wednesday if I get drunk enough to make it through Tuesday night. Also, it'll screw up my weekly workout routine, so I probably won't be able to get drunk.

I am just so tired of this all. I didn't think I'd be worn down, but gently caress, I'm only human.

pwn
May 27, 2004

tarlibone posted:

I'm so God damned burned out. I haven't been able to watch more than a few minutes of any of this poo poo for a few weeks now, and it was hard plowing through it before.

And I am certainly not in the mood to sit and watch nothing get decided Tuesday night, only to have Trump win in the next few days. Because, c'mon, we all know it's going to happen.

Yeah, I think I might just check out tomorrow night.

I really wish I did drugs, because I don't know if I can handle the hangover I'd have Wednesday if I get drunk enough to make it through Tuesday night. Also, it'll screw up my weekly workout routine, so I probably won't be able to get drunk.

I am just so tired of this all. I didn't think I'd be worn down, but gently caress, I'm only human.

I feel you dude. Watching this slow-motion train wreck approaching over the past six weeks has been taking a real and tangible toll on my physical and mental health. My posts in this and other threads paints a picture that nobody wants to see but should absolutely be seen by everyone.

Trump is not likely to win. He is also not likely to leave office. That’s the part that I’m dreading. Watching our country shake apart, watching as democracy is executed by lawyers, traitorous republicans in swing states, and the supreme court.

I hate that Frank loving Miller was right, but he was right: Power doesn't come from a badge or a gun. Power comes out of lying, and lying big, and getting the whole drat world to play along with you. Or just the right state legislatures, at least.

tarlibone
Aug 1, 2014

Am I a... bad person?
AM I??

Fun Shoe

pwn posted:

I feel you dude. Watching this slow-motion train wreck approaching over the past six weeks has been taking a real and tangible toll on my physical and mental health. My posts in this and other threads paints a picture that nobody wants to see but should absolutely be seen by everyone.

Trump is not likely to win. He is also not likely to leave office. That’s the part that I’m dreading. Watching our country shake apart, watching as democracy is executed by lawyers, traitorous republicans in swing states, and the supreme court.

I hate that Frank loving Miller was right, but he was right: Power doesn't come from a badge or a gun. Power comes out of lying, and lying big, and getting the whole drat world to play along with you. Or just the right state legislatures, at least.

I emphasized one line to say that... I don't know how true that is. I mean, I totally agree with everything else, especially the part about not leaving office. But not likely to win? I remember people saying he was unlikely to win a single state in the primary. Then, that he wasn't going to win any of the big, important ones. Then that he wasn't going to win the primary. Then, that him winning the primary was a sure-fire sign that we'd get a female president. Then, that Clinton being ahead so far in the polls guaranteed that his shtick had carried him as far as it'd go, and his reputation and brand/name were ruined forever.

Then there was a sparsely attended inauguration.

Shrug emoji.

We'll eventually see.

Vegetable
Oct 22, 2010

They renewed Fallon.

pwn
May 27, 2004

:colbert:

Also this suggests that NBC believes Biden will win, which I will cling to today.

Steve Vader
Apr 29, 2005

Everyone's Playing!

Goddammit, this is still goddamned hilarious.

Stare-Out
Mar 11, 2010

All the Clutch Cargo stuff on the old Late Night show is brilliant, Arnie especially.

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

Man, that Colbert rant was fantastic and :stare:

Nostalgia4Butts
Jun 1, 2006

yeah he went off finally

felt good

tarlibone
Aug 1, 2014

Am I a... bad person?
AM I??

Fun Shoe

Stare-Out posted:

All the Clutch Cargo stuff on the old Late Night show is brilliant, Arnie especially.

I love it. The Syncro-Vox technique was unfamiliar to some people who watched the show, I'm sure, but it's so ridiculously cheesy when done with an actual photo instead of animation cells that it works anyway. Ahnold was always my favorite. He really makes those sketches jingle all the vay.

Also, we need more Artie Kendal. Except one of the verses is about Trump.

Rupert Buttermilk posted:

Man, that Colbert rant was fantastic and :stare:

It was. But... I almost can't even feel angry about it anymore. I've got no rage left. There have been so many similarly heated and incredulous reactions to Trump's ridiculous rantings that it just didn't impact me. I get that Colbert was highly upset, but at the same time, I felt like, why? It's literally more of the same. Props to Colbert for not yet being as worn down by it all as I am, I guess.

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

The thing that I took from it was that even though this was just the latest in 4+ years of sarcasm and anger towards Trump, at this point, he's outwardly calling him a fascist. That was nice. Wish it wasn't true.

Before, I feel like there was some sort of minimal decorum, but Thursday's rant was, minus any actual swearing, "gently caress you, and everyone who thinks like you."

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

https://twitter.com/CraigyFerg/status/1325127151759208449

tarlibone
Aug 1, 2014

Am I a... bad person?
AM I??

Fun Shoe
Well, this stage of the end is over: Trump is projected to lose the election.

I'm going to enjoy myself today. I'll allow myself to feel good for now, because there will be (and have been) litigation, and he's also going to try to get states to select Trump-loyal electors, even if the state went to the Democratic party.

I still think Trump is going to remain president, one way or another. But for now, I'll take a breath and pretend like this isn't the part of the nightmare where you wake up but you're actually still in the nightmare.

Nanigans
Aug 31, 2005

~Waku Waku~
Edit: Not worth it.

Doomposting helps no one.

pwn
May 27, 2004

tarlibone posted:

But for now, I'll take a breath and pretend like this isn't the part of the nightmare where you wake up but you're actually still in the nightmare.

Der Kyhe
Jun 25, 2008

Biden won the election. Now we see how desperate Trump is to challenge everything and go crazy with the legal system, to truly see how broken the American political system is.

Meanwhile, do we actually have a separate thread for the Daily (social distancing) Show with Trevor Noah, or is this somehow not appropriate because nobody talks about it?

Its currently the only one we get on free channels, and my personal opinion is that they are actually quite clever with the no-resource-home-show format. Actually something you even sometimes turn into, because it runs at 8PM just before one hour of usually relatively new South Park, followed by some movie which runs into midnight.

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

Der Kyhe posted:

Meanwhile, do we actually have a separate thread for the Daily (social distancing) Show with Trevor Noah, or is this somehow not appropriate because nobody talks about it?

If anyone watched it, it would most likely be discussed in here. Lets face it, it's 2020 and nobody really cares to watch late night shows beyond any viral clips, and it's no surprise because the shows are pretty poo poo. Desus and Mero et al are more interesting than the yawnfest that the OTA networks do these days but those are niche audiences too so not much discussion.

tarlibone
Aug 1, 2014

Am I a... bad person?
AM I??

Fun Shoe
I stopped watching the Daily Show, even though I like Trevor Noah.

But I can't take a spoonful of Trump from both Colbert and Trevor... and Seth... and literally everyone else. After over 1700 days of this poo poo, each one worse than the last, I am amazed that anyone can. At least Colbert has other stuff, usually. I like his Meanwhile segments (or, lately, Quarantinewhile). But with Trevor, it's too much Trump. I lost the ability to laugh about it before the insanity that was 2020.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

blunt
Jul 7, 2005

Similarly I'm looking forward to Jon Oliver finally doing non trump (and in time non covid) long pieces again.