Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

🚣RowboatMan: ❄️Freezing time🕰️ is an old P.I. 🥧trick...

Behold, the best ad reading ever.

Norm MacDonald vs the Man Grate:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=F2XawdY22Ek

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Acer Pilot
Feb 17, 2007
put the 'the' in therapist

:dukedog:

i want to buy a mangrate now

Stare-Out
Mar 11, 2010

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Rl5JDzvkEA0

tarlibone
Aug 1, 2014
Fun Shoe

Rupert Buttermilk posted:

Behold, the best ad reading ever.

Norm MacDonald vs the Man Grate:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=F2XawdY22Ek

Man, I almost did a spit-take at 3:32!

CHICKEN-STEAK HAS NEVER TASTED SO GOOD!

I mean, he can't mean chicken and/or steak. It has to be chickensteak, or he'd have to say, "chicken and steak have never tasted so good!"

So if you like chickensteak, do yourself a favor and get a ManGrate.

Nostalgia4Butts
Jun 1, 2006

WHERE MY HOSE DRINKERS AT

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xTeMNvPHvvo

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

Good to see Geoff Peterson still getting work.

jojoinnit
Dec 13, 2010

Strength and speed, that's why you're a special agent.
I'm surprised that Conan has the rights to post full episodes of his old show. That was really enjoyable, A+ dedication to a bit. Poor Larry King's kids though lmao.

Nostalgia4Butts
Jun 1, 2006

jojoinnit posted:

I'm surprised that Conan has the rights to post full episodes of his old show. That was really enjoyable, A+ dedication to a bit. Poor Larry King's kids though lmao.

he dealt with NBC for years and finally got them a year or two ago

Watermelon Daiquiri
Jul 10, 2010
I TRIED TO BAIT THE TXPOL THREAD WITH THE WORLD'S WORST POSSIBLE TAKE AND ALL I GOT WAS THIS STUPID AVATAR.

Did everyone (Conan, Larry King et al) know it was going to be turned into this before hand or was it though up afterwards?

Milo and POTUS
Sep 3, 2017

I will not shut up about the Mighty Morphin Power Rangers. I talk about them all the time and work them into every conversation I have. I built a shrine in my room for the yellow one who died because sadly no one noticed because she died around 9/11. Wanna see it?
...that's them

Nostalgia4Butts
Jun 1, 2006

im pretty sure it was pretaped with no heads up and puppeted to the soundtrack

Mandrel
Sep 24, 2006

really do wish the podcast episodes were longer. definitely agree with the feeling that a lot of the time it ends just as he and the guest really get into a rhythm and start flowing, especially with the guests like Tina Fey or Letterman who are a little more awkward or quieter and take a bit to get rolling

Macdeo Lurjtux
Jul 5, 2011

BRRREADSTOOORRM!
I was surprised to hear Bill Nader doing his Vincent Price impression but I guess he was just starting as a featured player back then.

tarlibone
Aug 1, 2014
Fun Shoe

Macdeo Lurjtux posted:

I was surprised to hear Bill Nader doing his Vincent Price impression but I guess he was just starting as a featured player back then.

Yeah, I think we can all agree that it was the hader of his career.

Mandrel
Sep 24, 2006

just watched Conan’s Colbert appearance. seeing conan being the desk again on a network show even if only for a few minutes was kind of a trip. really made it even more apparent in contrast to how much he does not give a poo poo on his show at this point. I hope he’s got something planned for a full pivot to travel stuff, maybe livestream the podcast or something. I’m sure he wants to keep his writers and crew working and wants to keep working but it’s not like he needs the money, he could do a full pivot to a online/streaming mixed media content personality.

a real partnership with an actual streaming service would probably help, it’s a bummer that even with the website having all that content it’s basically only accessible through a traditional browser. and I feel like his travel shows being on Netflix have helped introduce him to a whole new demo but it’s a pretty limited selection. it seems like TBS is pretty chill with letting him do whatever with the tiny budget they have but I wonder whether whatever built in contract limitations they have limit his ability to branch out too far

Mandrel
Sep 24, 2006

his late night comedy was so influential and ahead of its time that it feels like conan could really break out all over again with a new generation if more of his stuff was actually readily available and put in front of those demos

pwn
May 27, 2004

This Christmas get "Shoes"

:pwn: :pwn: :pwn: :pwn: :pwn:
Maybe the reason his full* episode archives going up never materialized was mainly to do with the young staffers charged with sorting through the hundreds of hours of footage reporting back all the now-problematic material that pocked virtually every episode and everyone deciding eh, just put the remotes up.

This is just a wild theory of course. Truth is that Conan is no longer relevant enough for any kids to find something offensive to begin with

*excluding all the music, so not really full

Mandrel
Sep 24, 2006

pwn posted:

Maybe the reason his full* episode archives going up never materialized was mainly to do with the young staffers charged with sorting through the hundreds of hours of footage reporting back all the now-problematic material that pocked virtually every episode and everyone deciding eh, just put the remotes up.

This is just a wild theory of course. Truth is that Conan is no longer relevant enough for any kids to find something offensive to begin with

*excluding all the music, so not really full

The writers on the Inside Conan podcast seem to indicate it’s pretty much just been a combination of it being a massive undertaking and a legal mess to navigate and edit and figure out what can and can’t be re-released, but it sounds like the work is still ongoing

Zane
Nov 14, 2007
i've seen a couple 90s conans and they're really weird and fun and interesting. he had a lot more creative and experimental energy with the talk-show format back in the day.

Milo and POTUS
Sep 3, 2017

I will not shut up about the Mighty Morphin Power Rangers. I talk about them all the time and work them into every conversation I have. I built a shrine in my room for the yellow one who died because sadly no one noticed because she died around 9/11. Wanna see it?
It's cuz he's old and depressed now

Nostalgia4Butts
Jun 1, 2006

looks like hes doing another podcast with the standup from his show over the years

http://www.stitcherpremium.com/conan

Using Stitcher for this one, and i forget the company hes using for the frontier tween show, but looks like he's checking out all the podcast companies.

Stare-Out
Mar 11, 2010

Oh my god.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ItU2FG_--wo

Milo and POTUS
Sep 3, 2017

Does the thursday episode not work for anyone else on his website?

Nostalgia4Butts
Jun 1, 2006

https://www.cnn.com/2019/11/09/us/california-fire-warner-brothers/index.html

that's where Conan films

Milo and POTUS
Sep 3, 2017

Stay safe Irish ghost

Mandibular Fiasco
Oct 14, 2012
I watched a clip of Jimmy Fallon interviewing Harrison Ford and it was just cringeworthy. He couldn’t ask a coherent question. Ford seemed like he couldn’t wait to get out of there, but he seems a bit of an odd duck to begin with in real life. Do people actually enjoy him as a host? I could barely manage the clip!

Megazver
Jan 13, 2006
Harrison Ford is always awkward, off-beat and surly on talk shows. TBH it feels to me like the behavior of someone masking early signs of dementia.

Sir Lemming
Jan 27, 2009

It's a piece of JUNK!
I think there's a way to play into what Harrison Ford does and earn his enthusiasm, but Fallon definitely isn't that kind of host.

Vegetable
Oct 22, 2010

I'm not sure I've ever seen someone earn Ford's enthusiasm. It's just his thing to be grumpy and standoff-ish.

jojoinnit
Dec 13, 2010

Did Craig Ferguson ever get a crack?

Megazver
Jan 13, 2006

jojoinnit posted:

Did Craig Ferguson ever get a crack?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=d_1bsQyDTs8

Vegetable
Oct 22, 2010

It never stopped being awkward but that turned out to be really enjoyable, seeing Craig try his best to make it work. And in the end it kinda did.

Mooseontheloose
May 13, 2003

Vegetable posted:

I'm not sure I've ever seen someone earn Ford's enthusiasm. It's just his thing to be grumpy and standoff-ish.

He clearly hates doing these interviews but Conan did the best thing with him. Secrets...

Mooseontheloose
May 13, 2003
Also...Christmas Special

jojoinnit
Dec 13, 2010

I think he did as well as is possible. Airplane talk felt real.

piratepilates
Mar 28, 2004

So I will learn to live with it. Because I can live with it. I can live with it.

The man is 77 now, I imagine he doesn't like being anywhere anymore, especially seated next to some young talk show host he's never heard of.

Steve Vader
Apr 29, 2005

Everyone's Playing!

I think Letterman tended to have a good time with him. He always liked to ask people to come on down to Harrison Ford and get a good deal on new and used cars.

Mandibular Fiasco
Oct 14, 2012

That wasn't nearly as painful to watch as Fallon. He clearly doesn't enjoy this sort of stuff, but at least here he was sort of game.

Of course, getting a pilot talking about flying isn't hard, but probably the easiest path. I can't imagine talking about Star Wars or Indiana Jones interests him much anymore. I bet if someone asked him about Presumed Innocent that might get his attention.

Milo and POTUS
Sep 3, 2017

wow. craig really is good at interviews. Way more interesting than the bog standard approach. Funnier too, even with a grumpy old guest

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

GreenNight
Feb 19, 2006
Turning the light on the darkest places, you and I know we got to face this now. We got to face this now.

Mandibular Fiasco posted:

That wasn't nearly as painful to watch as Fallon. He clearly doesn't enjoy this sort of stuff, but at least here he was sort of game.

Of course, getting a pilot talking about flying isn't hard, but probably the easiest path. I can't imagine talking about Star Wars or Indiana Jones interests him much anymore. I bet if someone asked him about Presumed Innocent that might get his attention.

I remember when he was doing these for Firewall and people kept asking him if he knew computers. He was always like "im 60 fuckin years old, what do you think."