Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

vote_no
Nov 22, 2005

The rush is on.

kmzh posted:

Then his sister pronounces it differently. *shrug* Stephen Colbert's last name has been pronounced Col-bear in every appearance I can remember from The Daily Show to even earlier.

I remember a couple of times Colbert referred to himself as Col-bert on the show (accidentally). Since most people aren't prone to mispronouncing their own names, I'm guessing that's how he pronounced it in his life before TV.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

kmzh
Feb 21, 2011

Alright, digging around a bit, from Wikipedia:

quote:

Colbert sometimes comedically claims his surname is French, but his mother's ancestry was Irish, and his father's ancestry was mostly Irish, with some German and English.[6][23][24] Originally, the name was pronounced /ˈkoʊlbərt/ in English; Stephen Colbert's father, James, wanted to pronounce the name /koʊlˈbɛər/, but maintained the /ˈkoʊlbərt/ pronunciation out of respect for his own father. He offered his children the option to pronounce the name whichever way they preferred.[15] Stephen started using /koʊlˈbɛər/ later in life when he transferred to Northwestern University, taking advantage of the opportunity to reinvent himself in a new place where no one knew him.

Seems to be corroborated by an article about his sister's campaign:

quote:

Elizabeth Colbert said in an interview with MSNBC that she pronounces her last name as “cole-bert,” with an emphasis on the “t.” But her brother, Stephen Colbert, pronounces it “cole-bear” with a French accent. She has nine other siblings, each of whom pronounce it one of the two ways.

According to the MSNBC interview, the family name is linked to a distant French relative named John Baptist Colbert, who pronounced his last name as “cole-bear.” She said their father told them they could choose which way they wanted to say it. So some of them pronounce it “cole-bert” while others, like Stephen Colbert pronounce it “cole-bear.”

Fact-checking will ruin this thread.

OldSenileGuy
Mar 13, 2001
Oh my god you people are the WORST

Spoke Lee
Dec 31, 2004

chairizard lol
I feel bad for Conan.

HOW COULD YOU
Jun 1, 2006

The man in black fled across Middle Tennessee, and Pierre followed.

OldSenileGuy posted:

Don't you mean we're the wors?

OldSenileGuy
Mar 13, 2001

HOW COULD YOU posted:

Don't you mean we're the wors?

I DONT KNOW LETS TALK ABOUT IT FOR A PAGE AND A HALF AND START REFERENCING WIKIPEDIA ARTICLES AND THE OLDE ENGLISH DICTIONARY AND THE loving ENCYCLOPEDIA BRITTANICA

EvilMoFo
Jan 1, 2006

If Conan had waited 5 years, he could have had the tonight show without the drama.

Yoshifan823
Feb 19, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

EvilMoFo posted:

If Conan had waited 5 years, he could have had the tonight show without the drama.

Yes, but now he has his own show, and network TV has 5 really strong hosts on their late night shows.

Megazver
Jan 13, 2006
And Carson Daly!

EvilMoFo
Jan 1, 2006

Yoshifan823 posted:

Yes, but now he has his own show, and network TV has 5 really strong hosts on their late night shows.
And he isn't one of them cause he is on cable.

Vertical Lime
Dec 11, 2004

So CBS pretty much had Colbert in mind since late 2012:

http://mashable.com/2014/04/10/stephen-colbert-cbs-late-show-keep-name/?utm_cid=mash-com-Tw-main-link

This excerpt is particularly of interest:

quote:

But individuals close to the succession plans tell Mashable that Colbert was approached as early as December 2012 about taking over The Late Show upon Letterman’s retirement, which at the time was still a big unknown — the network was determined to let Dave go out on his own terms and at a time of his choosing. Though Colbert and the network never entered into any formal discussions at the time, a handshake deal was made: CBS wanted Colbert, Colbert was stoked to succeed Letterman, and the rest would be worked out later.

The network still entertained calls from interested parties — the chatter among the broadcast community was that Jon Stewart was once considered for the job, but he ultimately faded out of the picture. Over the past few years, The Daily Show gained prominence (most watched in late-night among 18-49) and Stewart’s other interests — he just finished directing his first feature film — began to make a five-nights-a-week network gig look time-prohibitive.

It's been said that Colbert has been synching his contract to match up with Dave's; there may be some truth in that. But Colbert re-upped with Comedy Central in July 2012 to run through 2014, several months before Letterman signed a one-year contract in October of last year.

Craig Ferguson, whose Late Late Show comes on after Letterman's, was never seen as a true contender for the slot; it remains to be seen whether he’ll stick around after being passed over. Other names thrown in the mix were Chelsea Handler and Neil Patrick Harris — but even as top contenders, they were dark horses at best. For nearly 18 months, Colbert was always CBS' guy.

counterfeitsaint
Feb 26, 2010

I'm a girl, and you're
gnomes, and it's like
what? Yikes.

OldSenileGuy posted:

Considering what is happening in some other threads in this subforum, I'd say we have a long, long, long way to go before we're the worst.

Yoshifan823 posted:

Leno was gonna throw a poo poo fit no matter what.

EvilMoFo
Jan 1, 2006

Late Shift III

Mister Kingdom
Dec 14, 2005

And the tears that fall
On the city wall
Will fade away
With the rays of morning light
That band on Letterman last night wins the award of doucheyist-looking band of the year.

Arsonist Daria
Feb 27, 2011

Requiescat in pace.

Mister Kingdom posted:

That band on Letterman last night wins the award of doucheyist-looking band of the year.

This is the one true question that no one is asking: Who will be Colbert's band?

Baronash
Feb 29, 2012

So what do you want to be called?

Lumberjack Bonanza posted:

This is the one true question that no one is asking: Who will be Colbert's band?

Robin Thicke

e: Actually, I take that back. It will be Daft Punk, but then MTV will launch a show for which Daft Punk will be the secret nightly band. Then it will be Robin Thicke.

Baronash fucked around with this message at 23:56 on Apr 10, 2014

kayakyakr
Feb 16, 2004

Kayak is true

Colbert will be his own band.

Yoshifan823
Feb 19, 2007

by FactsAreUseless
I don't know who will be in it, but he'll probably take Michael Stipe off of his shelf and dust him off.

DivisionPost
Jun 28, 2006

Nobody likes you.
Everybody hates you.
You're gonna lose.

Smile, you fuck.

Yoshifan823 posted:

I don't know who will be in it, but he'll probably take Michael Stipe off of his shelf and dust him off.

Very true. REM did break up last year.

Mister Kingdom
Dec 14, 2005

And the tears that fall
On the city wall
Will fade away
With the rays of morning light

Robnoxious
Feb 17, 2004

Craig shouldn't be sad... he just made a cool 5mil.

Chand0X
Sep 15, 2003
This deadline article doesn't seem to sound too bright for Craig....

http://www.deadline.com/2014/04/cbs-late-night-drama-not-over-craig-ferguson-worldwide-pants/

quote:

CBS execs are thought to be frustrated with Craig Ferguson’s show that follows Dave’s (it is co-produced by CBS and Letterman’s Worldwide Pants, which will depart as Late Show producer when its boss retires.) Ferguson’s numbers have not broadened out as CBS had hoped, and there are rumblings that CBS isn’t done yet and we should expect another move to come.

quote:

Asked about Ferguson’s future at the network, CBS chief Leslie Moonves today acknowledged Ferguson’s contract is up soon, adding, “we’re having conversations” and “there is nothing to report now.”

Arsonist Daria
Feb 27, 2011

Requiescat in pace.

Well considering he should be getting anywhere from $5-$12 million I'm going to guess he could give a gently caress less.

Alec Bald Snatch
Sep 12, 2012

by exmarx
Hasn't he said in the past he'd likely leave whenever Letterman does?

Mr. Funny Pants
Apr 9, 2001

Well considering he should be getting anywhere from $5-$12 million I'm going to guess he could give a gently caress less.

Believe it or not, the money isn't everything for everybody. Letterman nearly took a lesser deal to get the Tonight Show back, because he was wrapped up in getting that show rather than taking more money elsewhere.

If Craig truly loves doing the show, he should be upset if he loses it. He's not a hot commodity that other networks will fight over.

Arsonist Daria
Feb 27, 2011

Requiescat in pace.

Mr. Funny Pants posted:

Believe it or not, the money isn't everything for everybody. Letterman nearly took a lesser deal to get the Tonight Show back, because he was wrapped up in getting that show rather than taking more money elsewhere.

If Craig truly loves doing the show, he should be upset if he loses it. He's not a hot commodity that other networks will fight over.

I completely understand that having something you care about taken from you can be hugely upsetting. Landing on a mattress of cash does a lot to soften the blow, though. It's not like CBS is gunning for his family.

The 7th Guest
Dec 17, 2003

Maybe NBC can grab Ferguson and put him on Late Night after they realize how bad Seth Meyers' Late Night is.

Robnoxious
Feb 17, 2004

Worldwide Pants Production leaving The Late Late Show when Dave retires is probably the real meat of the story and why CBS might fold up Craig's show and look elsewhere for a host.

All these years, CBS has been buying both Dave and Craig's show to air on their network. With Dave's Worldwide Pants out of the picture CBS would have absolute production control as well. It's cheaper for them to go that route and also gain creative control. Whether it's successful or not is to be determined but I'm positive that is a huge part of the bigger story.

Maybe Craig's days are numbered. His ratings really aren't very different now than they have been but I do believe Seth Meyers is beating Craig regularly in the demographic that counts most to advertisers.

Here we go again, I guess.

Chand0X
Sep 15, 2003

Robnoxious posted:

Worldwide Pants Production leaving The Late Late Show when Dave retires is probably the real meat of the story and why CBS might fold up Craig's show and look elsewhere for a host.

All these years, CBS has been buying both Dave and Craig's show to air on their network. With Dave's Worldwide Pants out of the picture CBS would have absolute production control as well. It's cheaper for them to go that route and also gain creative control. Whether it's successful or not is to be determined but I'm positive that is a huge part of the bigger story.

If Craig stuck around and CBS had full production control I assume they would roll in and make drastic changes. I'd imagine they would try to mainstream it and get rid of anything that makes Craig's show unique.

Arsonist Daria
Feb 27, 2011

Requiescat in pace.

Chand0X posted:

If Craig stuck around and CBS had full production control I have to wonder what kind of changes they would try to make. I'd imagine they would try to mainstream it and get rid of anything that makes Craig's show unique.

Craig would not stick around unless he was guaranteed some level of creative control that he could agree to. Otherwise, what's the point? He loves doing the show because he gets to be weird and have fun.

counterfeitsaint
Feb 26, 2010

I'm a girl, and you're
gnomes, and it's like
what? Yikes.
Craig should move to cable. I hear Comedy Central has an opening.

Robnoxious
Feb 17, 2004

Chand0X posted:

If Craig stuck around and CBS had full production control I assume they would roll in and make drastic changes. I'd imagine they would try to mainstream it and get rid of anything that makes Craig's show unique.

Craig would not stick around unless he was guaranteed some level of creative control that he could agree to. Otherwise, what's the point? He loves doing the show because he gets to be weird and have fun.

Yep yep and YEP! I think we're coming to the reason Craig has always said he's hanging it up when Dave bolts. Dave allowed Craig to run his little playhouse however he wanted to for years with little to no meddling involvement.

Granted, CBS could have passed on buying Craig's show but that in turn would probably piss Dave off a little bit so they rolled with it just to keep the gap-toothed bastard lining the CBSs coffers with dolla bills.

My bold prediction: Craig and the robot and the pantomime horse will be trotting out off into the sunset in the not too distance future :(

Mr. Funny Pants
Apr 9, 2001

Just watched Stewart, he couldn't have seemed more genuinely happy that Colbert got the job.

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

Mr. Funny Pants posted:

Just watched Stewart, he couldn't have seemed more genuinely happy that Colbert got the job.

He and Jennifer Garner spent like half their interview talking about Colbert.

Robnoxious
Feb 17, 2004

Mr. Funny Pants posted:

I think Jon has known for a very long time that Colbert has immense talent (far more than his) and was always destined for bigger and greater things. Jon has been one of Colbert's biggest cheerleaders. He hired the guy for a reason and takes delight in seeing how it's paying off.

Craptacular!
Jul 9, 2001

Fuck the DH

Robnoxious posted:

This kind of sucks, not just for Craig but because Dave is a great producer. In addition to the story of bringing a staffer on so she could fund her honeymoon, he brought back the striking writers by paying them out of his own pocket.

Chand0X
Sep 15, 2003
From Variety:

quote:

She declined to speak in great detail about the potential future of Craig Ferguson, who has been holding forth at 12:37 a.m. after “The Late Show” since 2005. CBS has been looking at its latenight schedule “one hour at a time,’” Tassler said. “We have a very good relationship with him. He’s our 12:30 guy.” She declined to comment on whether the host would stay with CBS or move on, given the Colbert decision.

According to people familiar with the situation, Ferguson’s discussions with CBS continue and he has not decided whether to stick with his show or leave. The host is supposed to tape two episodes of his show today and is likely to address the issue in the one set to air tonight, these people said. In a tweet, Ferguson congratulated Colbert and said, “Welcome to the CBS funhouse.”

http://variety.com/2014/tv/news/stephen-colbert-to-replace-david-letterman-1201155423/

Then from the NY Times:

quote:

CBS will face questions about its own host-in-waiting, Craig Ferguson, whose contract concludes at the end of this year. If Mr. Ferguson decides to leave, the network will be seeking another host for its 12:35 a.m. show.

“No decision has been made about 12:35,” Mr. Moonves said. “We’re in discussions. Our pat answer is, Let us deal with one hour at a time.”

http://www.nytimes.com/2014/04/11/business/media/stephen-colbert-to-succeed-letterman-on-late-show.html?_r=0

Chand0X fucked around with this message at 07:41 on Apr 11, 2014

ufarn
May 30, 2009

Quest For Glory II posted:

Maybe NBC can grab Ferguson and put him on Late Night after they realize how bad Seth Meyers' Late Night is.
Did you ever watch Fallon's show, when he started out?

pwn
May 27, 2004

This Christmas get "Shoes"

:pwn: :pwn: :pwn: :pwn: :pwn:
I haven't seen the divine spark in Seth that Fallon and O'Brien had. All I see is a guy who was hired to be not-The Tonight Show-host in 5 years. I mean, can you envision a world where Fred Armisen's little garage band is The Tonight Show Band?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lazlo Nibble
Jan 9, 2004

It was Weasleby, by God! At last I had the miserable blighter precisely where I wanted him!
Show-related schtick aside Ferguson has always had a good relationship with CBS/Moonves, but I think unless they actively and aggressively court him (which seems unlikely given his ratings lately) I suspect he's going to decide the time is right to move on. Maybe with a short contract extension so the network has more than a couple of months to work out what happens in that time slot once he leaves. He didn't grow up wanting to host a late-night show the way Letterman/Leno/Conan did, and it's not like he doesn't have plenty of other options.