Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

THE AWESOME GHOST
Oct 21, 2005

Seth Meyers' set looks like it was put together in a day and is super cheap in case it doesn't work out and they need to trash it.

Also I think the show is awful but to be fair every late night show is awful at first. I like Jimmy Fallon now but he was TERRIBLE when he started.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Still Fluxing
Feb 14, 2013

A vision. A picture in my head. A picture of this.

ufarn posted:

Anyone know why CC decided to set up a region wall for Colbert and Stewart two weeks or so ago for those of us outside NA?

Kinda bummed I missed out on the Bundy and Sterling coverage. :smith:

:confused: I'm in Sweden, and I can access it just fine.

DJ Pauls Gimp Arm
Mar 22, 2004

M-E-M-P-H-I-S

Megazver posted:

I have trouble believing that anyone aware of Attell's act can be shocked by him doing a talk show.

Yeah, I don't really get this either...He used to do Conan all the time back when his career started really taking off.
If anything, I thought he seemed more like his old self last night than I have seen in a while.

ufarn
May 30, 2009

Still Fluxing posted:

:confused: I'm in Sweden, and I can access it just fine.
Wut. That's weird as hell.

Agent Escalus
Oct 5, 2002

"I couldn't stop saying aloud how miscast Jim Carrey was!"

Dr Tran posted:

He should get that new Doctor as his final guest.

That would be rather easy: they started their showbiz careers together. Capaldi was the singer in the band and Ferguson was the drummer.

oshuaj
Jul 25, 2007

SHUPS 4 DETH posted:

So after his appearance on Conan tonight Dave Attell can gently caress off forever. I can't believe I liked that guy in the 90s.

Wha happened?

GutBomb
Jun 15, 2005

Dude?

oshuaj posted:

Wha happened?

I just watched it based on this post and didn't see anything egregious. It wasn't very funny, but I've never found him all that funny so maybe it's just that he was not that funny?

SHVPS4DETH
Mar 19, 2009

seen so much i'm going blind
and i'm brain-dead virtually

Ramrod XTreme

GutBomb posted:

I just watched it based on this post and didn't see anything egregious. It wasn't very funny, but I've never found him all that funny so maybe it's just that he was not that funny?

I would say aggressively not funny. Bitter and combatively unfunny. Very off-putting. He tried to take down a crowd member and Seth Green for no reason.

Irish Joe
Jul 23, 2007

by Lowtax
It was a bad appearance and Conan wasn't helping with his lazy set-ups ("I hear you watch TV"), but you'd have to be insanely thin-skinned to consider his light ribbing of the woman in the audience a take down.

Arsonist Daria
Feb 27, 2011

Requiescat in pace.
That's Attell's brand of humor. If that light fare gets to you, I suggest never ever watching him.

SHVPS4DETH
Mar 19, 2009

Ramrod XTreme
Fair enough, I guess calling audience members fat is super hilarious crowd work and I'm just a square.

I found nothing he said to be offensive, just super duper unfunny.

DivisionPost
Jun 28, 2006

Nobody likes you.
Everybody hates you.
You're gonna lose.

Smile, you fuck.
What the gently caress is this I'm hearing about Norm MacDonald getting The Late Late Show? Is this just a thing he started on Twitter, or is there some article that says he's in the running?

Still Fluxing
Feb 14, 2013

A vision. A picture in my head. A picture of this.

DivisionPost posted:

What the gently caress is this I'm hearing about Norm MacDonald getting The Late Late Show? Is this just a thing he started on Twitter, or is there some article that says he's in the running?

For what it's worth, his name is pretty much the only one I *haven't* seen mentioned yet. I did find one article from this January where he said that he wasn't actually approached about it, but Letterman originally wanted him to host the Late Late Show, but CBS went with Craig Kilbourn instead. Going by that, it seems pretty unlikely that he'd get it now that Letterman and his production company are leaving.

Illinois Smith
Nov 15, 2003

Ninety-one? There are ninety other "Tiger Drivers"? Do any involve actual tigers, or driving?

DJ Pauls Gimp Arm posted:

I've been saying for years someone needs to give Paul F. Tompkins a late night show. I would watch the everloving poo poo outta that.
He just landed an ABC sitcom that kinda sounds like Fawlty Towers, it would be pretty hard to balance that, a talk show and appearing on a dozen podcasts every week.

wa27
Jan 15, 2007

DivisionPost posted:

As much as I would love it, there's no way that would happen. His show on Comedy Central and his interview podcast last year were flops.

If anyone didn't check out his podcast yet, it's pretty great:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-RLhgUYVIsk&t=3985s

The only way I could see that happening is if Letterman really pushed for it, which actually happened years ago. Norm was passed over for Craig Kilborn after Letterman pushed for him to host.

DivisionPost
Jun 28, 2006

Nobody likes you.
Everybody hates you.
You're gonna lose.

Smile, you fuck.

wa27 posted:

As much as I would love it...

You, me, and enough people to retweet for eight hours and counting! I agree, there's no way they've even briefly considered him, but it was a hell of a shock when I opened up my timeline today.

Irish Joe
Jul 23, 2007

by Lowtax

wa27 posted:

As much as I would love it, there's no way that would happen. His show on Comedy Central and his interview podcast last year were flops.

His podcast wasn't a flop. It was 11 episodes of pure gold and will be returning sometime this year. :colbert:

hcreight
Mar 19, 2007

My name is Oliver Queen...
Norm getting the Late Late Show and running it into the ground would be a glorious 3 months of television but CBS isn't stupid enough to fall for that.

(Where was he a year ago when Late Night opened up?)

Mister Kingdom
Dec 14, 2005

And the tears that fall
On the city wall
Will fade away
With the rays of morning light
Yeesh, that Rocky musical looks like it'll be as good as the Spider-Man one.

SHVPS4DETH
Mar 19, 2009

Ramrod XTreme

Mister Kingdom posted:

Yeesh, that Rocky musical looks like it'll be as good as the Spider-Man one.

I about died at the choreography. I'm still not convinced that it wasn't a joke.

SunshineDanceParty
Feb 7, 2006

One Road. Two Friends. One Ass.

hcreight posted:

Norm getting the Late Late Show and running it into the ground would be a glorious 3 months of television but CBS isn't stupid enough to fall for that.

(Where was he a year ago when Late Night opened up?)

We do need a short run disaster at late night soon. It's been too long. Conan on the Tonight Show fell apart but he survived and moved on. I want something that's burned and forgotten in a few months.

Mister Kingdom
Dec 14, 2005

And the tears that fall
On the city wall
Will fade away

SunshineDanceParty posted:

I want something that's burned and forgotten in a few months.

If Norm got TLLS, you sure as hell wouldn't forget it. They'd have to get a Chevy Chase/Pat Sajak-level host for that.

Rageaholic
May 31, 2005

Old Town Road to EGOT

Conan's last week at the Tonight Show when he was blowing all of NBC's money was something truly majestic to behold.

Rageaholic
May 31, 2005

Old Town Road to EGOT

Jimmy Fallon and Kevin Spacey and a few other guys did a barbershop cover of Talk Dirty To Me on The Tonight Show tonight hahahaha :swoon:

Mister Mind
Mar 20, 2009

I'm not a real doctor,
But I am a real worm;
I am an actual worm
Next Late Late Show host is going to be Joel McHale. (Not an ancient prophecy, no inside information, nothing to back this up.)

Arsonist Daria
Feb 27, 2011

Requiescat in pace.

Mister Mind posted:

Next Late Late Show host is going to be Joel McHale. (Not an ancient prophecy, no inside information, nothing to back this up.)

This would probably mean the end of Community, which means nothing could possibly be worth it.

Mister Kingdom
Dec 14, 2005

And the tears that fall
On the city wall
Will fade away

Lumberjack Bonanza posted:

This would probably mean the end of Community, which means nothing could possibly be worth it.

McHale said recently he won't be the new host because of Community. He also said he hasn't been contacted.

PassTheRemote
Mar 15, 2007

Number 6 holds The Village record in Duck Hunt.

The first one to kill :laugh: wins.

Mister Mind posted:

This would mean the end of the Soup. That is not acceptable.

Mister Mind
Mar 20, 2009

I'm not a real doctor,
But I am a real worm;
I am an actual worm

Mister Kingdom posted:

McHale said recently he won't be the new host because of Community. He also said he hasn't been contacted.

Pish...what's that going to be? Another 13 episodes, maximum. Work around it, guys!

Frankly, I'm more worried about the inevitable "And a Movie" schedule. Maybe Leonard could guest host...

Looten Plunder
Jul 11, 2006
Grimey Drawer
So what is the general opinion in the US on how Jimmy Fallon is doing? Are people liking it? Is it popular?

It airs here in Australia most nights and I have to say, I'm really enjoying it whenever I watch it. I find myself doing the "I'll just watch one more segment and then go do the dishes" thing every night and every time the dishes are still not done when the credits roll.

SHVPS4DETH
Mar 19, 2009

Ramrod XTreme

xcore posted:

So what is the general opinion in the US on how Jimmy Fallon is doing? Are people liking it? Is it popular?

He's consistently doing better than Leno was, and there's plenty of buzz. Several segments go viral every week.

Rageaholic
May 31, 2005

Old Town Road to EGOT

Put it this way: Fallon is the first one to make the Tonight Show worth watching since Conan and he was the first one to make it worth watching since Carson, so...

Fenris13
Jun 6, 2003

Mister Mind posted:

This is incorrect because it conflicts with the ancient prophecy that says the next host will be Aisha Tyler.

Agent Escalus
Oct 5, 2002

"I couldn't stop saying aloud how miscast Jim Carrey was!"

xcore posted:

It airs here in Australia most nights and I have to say, I'm really enjoying it whenever I watch it. I find myself doing the "I'll just watch one more segment and then go do the dishes" thing every night and every time the dishes are still not done when the credits roll.

The ratings are not only very strong, they're surprising: he's had very little drop-off in most demographics, especially the important ones (like 18-49). And that's just for the American TV audience; who knows how high the numbers are for online streaming and non-US carriers (CTV does it here in Canada).

So, very successful. He and the team have firmly brought the Tonight Show to our generation without alienating the older and unhip, non-sophisticated crowds that Conan couldn't reach; NBC is no doubt pleased that one of their biggest profit machines is in the clear, possibly for years to come. I've been watching him since he did web-only previews before he started on Late Night and now I'm hoping he'll be doing this for decades.

Robnoxious
Feb 17, 2004

Fenris13 posted:

This is incorrect because it conflicts with the ancient prophecy that says the next host will be Aisha Tyler.
I can see this happening. It ticks all of the boxes and then some.

Chelsa Handler is a non-starter for me because I can envision her becoming the next loud mouth not unlike another Ann Coulter.
Different political angle but same viral results and disdain.

oshuaj
Jul 25, 2007

Aisha is my dream LLS host.

Pinwiz11
Jan 26, 2009

I'm becom-, I'm becom-,
I'm becoming
Tana in, Tana in my mind.

Craig is my dream LLC host. :colbert:

Aisha would be spectacular, however.

rujasu
Dec 19, 2013

I only know Aisha Tyler from Whose Line. She must be very different away from that show, because she's all kinds of awful on it.

Megazver
Jan 13, 2006

rujasu posted:

I only know Aisha Tyler from Whose Line. She must be very different away from that show, because she's all kinds of awful on it.

No, no she's not. You're just being grumpy because she's not your boo-boo Drew. It's okay, man. It's cool. She doesn't need to be.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Arsonist Daria
Feb 27, 2011

Requiescat in pace.

rujasu posted:

I only know Aisha Tyler from Whose Line.

Please watch Archer.