Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Timby
Dec 23, 2006

Your mother!

Complete wildcard idea: Ellen DeGeneres.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Timby
Dec 23, 2006

Your mother!

Aphrodite posted:

Conan should have moved back to New York for TBS.

It would have let the show keep Max. :(

Timby
Dec 23, 2006

Your mother!

MikeJF posted:

I think his question was more why is Craig choosing to leave given he's basically doing the same thing in his new role. It wouldn't have been difficult to sort things out for him to stay on as Late Late Show host and it sounds like CBS was willing to keep him there.

Eh, I can understand his reasoning -- it's a half-hour syndicated thing so they can crank out a lot of episodes quickly, it might tape at a better time, maybe CBS was giving him crap about wanting to tone down the show's weirdness ... we'll never know. He's also got a three-year-old kid, remember.

Edit: Also, Dave or no Dave, Craig is getting stomped in the ratings by Seth Myers and even Carson Daly. I'm sure he'd rather make a graceful exit than get unceremoniously booted.

Timby fucked around with this message at 21:03 on Aug 18, 2014

Timby
Dec 23, 2006

Your mother!

God, that was the most magical thing ever.

Timby
Dec 23, 2006

Your mother!

Vertical Lime posted:

Within the news of CBS renewals, they announced Colbert starts on September 8th.

That feels ... really late to me. The gap between Leno and Fallon wasn't even a month, I don't think, but CBS is really going to go almost four months running guest hosts on The Late Show?

Timby
Dec 23, 2006

Your mother!

counterfeitsaint posted:

This makes me think CBS is mad at Craig, and wants to show him what he gave up.

Craig was getting socked in the ratings by both Late Night and Nightline. I don't think CBS would have renewed his contract even if he had changed his mind about leaving with Letterman. All the wording of the press releases that came out last year had a feeling of him getting pushed out the door anyway.

Timby fucked around with this message at 17:26 on Feb 10, 2015

Timby
Dec 23, 2006

Your mother!

Figured this was inevitable ever since Colbert got The Late Show. It's just crazy to see so many shows ending at the (roughly) same time: Leno, Letterman, Colbert, Stewart, Ferguson.

Jesus. Jimmy Kimmel will soon be the longest-tenured host of the 11:35 hour.

Timby fucked around with this message at 02:32 on Feb 11, 2015

Timby
Dec 23, 2006

Your mother!

Mister Kingdom posted:

Horrible set. I'm trying to recall another show where the guests sit to the right besides Graham Norton.

Comedy Bang Bang is the only one coming to mind, and that one doesn't even count, really.

Timby
Dec 23, 2006

Your mother!

EugeneJ posted:

I like how Dave jumping to CBS was prompted by Carson's wish for him to take over The Tonight Show not being honored, and then Letterman revealed recently that CBS didn't ask him for input as to who should take over The Late Show

:psyduck:

I'm not surprised by that last part. CBS was so eager to get Letterman back in the early '90s that they gave Worldwide Pants ownership of The Late Show and later The Late Late Show, and over time they got less and less happy with that arrangement to the point that the final Letterman / Ferguson contract called for CBS to take over co-production of those shows. The new incarnations with Corden and Colbert are owned wholly by CBS.

Timby
Dec 23, 2006

Your mother!

DivisionPost posted:

Nobody saw Jon Stewart stepping down coming.

Comedy Central certainly didn't, otherwise they would have chained Colbert and John Oliver to their chairs.

quote:

Honestly, I don't think hosting interests him anymore: filmmaking does.

I don't think it's the "hosting" thing that doesn't interest him anymore. Reading between the lines in his interviews since his announcement, he just seems flat-out exhausted from having to be so cynical as a core part of his job five days a week. And I don't blame him; doing that for sixteen years or whatever has to be draining, and while he probably had the clout at CC to pivot the show if he he wanted to, he also understands that wouldn't be what viewers would expect from The Daily Show with Jon Stewart, so he stepped down before he got really miserable.

Timby
Dec 23, 2006

Your mother!

My Q-Face posted:

But I thought his departure was 100% voluntary? I know there were rumors about him not sticking around because he didn't get tagged to replace Dave, but Craig kept saying again and again that he wanted to go out before he got stale. I'm not so sure that was all television-politics handwaving, because I saw some stand-up he did just two or three years ago where he was pretty outright disdainful of television and acting and the whole celebrity thing.

Craig had always said that he would time his departure to be alongside Letterman, and he received a cool $5 million from CBS as part of his contract for not getting The Late Show.

Timby
Dec 23, 2006

Your mother!

Chand0X posted:

Looks like CBS created a production company for it?

Unlike Letterman's show, CBS owns the new Late Show outright -- this is probably just a shell for tax purposes, etc.

Timby
Dec 23, 2006

Your mother!

Aphrodite posted:

In the span of about an hour you asked why someone would watch these boring celebrity interviews, and then complained about how much you dislike seeing the same celebrity interview questions all the time because you watch so many of them.

Forget it, he's rolling.

Timby
Dec 23, 2006

Your mother!

Mooseontheloose posted:

There is a not so small part of me that wishes Conan would go into producing because I think he is starting to run the show dry but still has amazing talent for writing and developing.

I think Conan will be the first to tell you that he has fewer days ahead of him hosting than there are behind. He has another three years left on his deal with TBS and I honestly doubt he'll re-sign after that.

I can't imagine how much going from that beautiful Tonight Show set to the cramped bandbox that is his TBS set demoralized him.

Timby
Dec 23, 2006

Your mother!

mr. unhsib posted:

The house band is awesome.

Yeah, The Roots have serious competition for best late-night house band, now.

Timby
Dec 23, 2006

Your mother!

Robnoxious posted:

Seth Meyers is on the death clock before Corden.

Meyers is Lorne Michaels' golden boy, though, isn't he?

Timby
Dec 23, 2006

Your mother!

Steve Vader posted:

I watched Craig on Seth last night. It was barely an appearance. But he did say he doesn't miss late night at all - aside from wanting to mock Donald Trump. He had a good story about Scottish hecklers and then he was suddenly done. But he's got a stand-up special on Epix coming out this week or something, so maybe I can see that at some point to get the fix.

I'm seeing Craig on tour in November. I can't wait.

Timby
Dec 23, 2006

Your mother!

Alfred P. Pseudonym posted:

How common is it for sitting Supreme Court Justices to appear on talk shows?

Incredibly rare.

Timby
Dec 23, 2006

Your mother!

whydirt posted:

Anyone know how much of the old staff are carrying over to the new show? Did Wilmore poach a bunch for his thing? I know Colbert took most of his team to CBS.

Most of the staff hung around. Elliott Kalan, the former lead writer, decided not to stay, but the new head writer is Zhubin Parang, who worked on Stewart's show for several years.

Timby
Dec 23, 2006

Your mother!

Youth Decay posted:

Seth Myers (who is probably watched by like 12 people total)

I believe he's clobbering Corden.

Timby
Dec 23, 2006

Your mother!

InfiniteZero posted:

Questlove would probably pack up his drums the moment Colbert started doing a rockette dance, so that wouldn't work out too well.

Every time I watch Fallon I think of that Dave Chappelle bit about how the white guy in a group of black guys is the most dangerous motherfucker in that entire group, because you know they've seen him do some serious poo poo, and Fallon having The Roots feels like the real-life embodiment of that.

Timby
Dec 23, 2006

Your mother!

MikeJF posted:

Goddamn this just makes me miss Craigyferg.

He's doing stand-up touring now; I just saw him here in Madison on Wednesday night.

He was amazing. :allears:

Timby
Dec 23, 2006

Your mother!

Nostalgia4Butts posted:

it's kinda crazy how much of colbert's show is set to promote cbs, i mean letterman didnt do nearly this much

Letterman owned his Late Show through Worldwide Pants. CBS is the sole producer and owner of Colbert's program.

Timby
Dec 23, 2006

Your mother!

Up until a few months ago I was working at a hotel that houses all the major acts that came through the big theater across the street; Seinfeld was one of them. When he was leaving the morning after his show (with his posse of like a half-dozen people, no joke), the bellman accidentally bumped his suitcase while taking it up a few steps. Seinfeld put his hands on his face and shrieked, "Oh, no! The JEWELS!" And then proceeded to look around with a poo poo-eating grin, waiting for someone to laugh.

Really, the only fascinating thing about Jerry Seinfeld over the past decade and a half is how he's slowly metamorphosed into Matt Lauer.

Timby
Dec 23, 2006

Your mother!

anotherone posted:

Colbert's live tonight- I didn't realize his ratings were that bad.

He's getting beaten by Seth Meyers on some nights. Fallon pretty reliably doubles him up every night and Kimmel has held a comfortable lead. But I can't imagine CBS is terribly happy about Late Night beating their Late Show when it comes on a whole hour later.

Timby
Dec 23, 2006

Your mother!

Meyers' utter mediocrity is also a whole lot more watchable than the hour of pain that is Corden's show.

Timby
Dec 23, 2006

Your mother!

ufarn posted:

Colbert is just coasting in name recognition doing the same thing it seems. It's not like his band is doing anything for him.

I disagree with the first part (I generally like Colbert's show) but I'll agree that Batiste was absolutely the wrong call. He's still very visibly uncomfortable on camera and the rest of the band isn't much better; they're all ridiculously talented but there's just not much charisma going.

Even Craig, for all his goofiness, didn't really click until they added Geoff, and he was a soundboard for his first few years.

Timby
Dec 23, 2006

Your mother!

EngineerJoe posted:

This is the big push. If ratings don't improve I imagine there will be some retooling over the summer.

There's already been quite a bit of retooling, I feel like. Giving Colbert the post-Super Bowl slot was the big push, and I feel like they dropped the ball -- Colbert was painfully awkward in the beginning, constantly asking about going to satellite, and I have no idea what the gently caress was going on with Will Ferrell's take on stupid pet tricks. I'm not saying they're going to pull an NBC and shank him like they did Conan, but if the ratings don't improve during the summer (I believe that was always the time period when Letterman would actually beat Leno) then I suspect they'd be considering their options.

Timby
Dec 23, 2006

Your mother!

The Dave posted:

I'm curious about this in the context of now. Isn't Fallon #1 and killing it in the younger demographic?

He is (he's doubling up Colbert on most nights), and when Leno returned after Conan got sacked he went right back to beating Letterman's numbers, too.

DaveWoo posted:

You're kidding, right? That Ferrell bit was goddamn hilarious.

It was the wrong kind of bit to run when you're desperately trying to boost your late-night show's ratings and you've got the biggest lead-in audience of the year to do it.

Timby
Dec 23, 2006

Your mother!

counterfeitsaint posted:

Doesn't change the fact that the job would have been his if he wanted it

I highly, highly doubt this. His Late Late Show ratings were dreadful and his "playhouse on TV" style appealed to a very niche demographic. A crazy Scottish guy playing with puppets and a gay robot skeleton would never have played at 11:30 and everyone knows it.

Timby
Dec 23, 2006

Your mother!

EasyEW posted:

It's probably a good time for a vacation, since Stephen just got a new showrunner.

Probably for the best. Last I checked he's still getting plastered in the ratings, and CBS can't be thrilled about that.

Timby
Dec 23, 2006

Your mother!

I think a large part of the issue with Conan right now is that the NBC debacle just completely broke him. He went from hosting The Tonight Show, with its glorious new set, to performing in a bandshell on the Warner Bros. lot. That San Diego week last year really drove home just how embarrassingly small his studio is -- it feels like it would make Craig Ferguson's old set seem huge. He also has, by far, the least viewers of any of the late-night shows, which has to weigh him down just on an enthusiasm level.

I really, really, really would not be surprised to see him leave TBS when his contract is up in a little less than two years.

Timby
Dec 23, 2006

Your mother!

anotherone posted:

A Conan travelogue would be great. Get Netflix on the phone.

Honestly, him doing something along the lines of An Idiot Abroad would be amazing.

Timby
Dec 23, 2006

Your mother!

Stare-Out posted:

Seriously, if you haven't seen his episode of Inside the Actors Studio (which he was on for some reason?) it's amazing. Or any interview thing he's done, like his Google Talks or whatever. The dude is just on, all the time.

Bill Carter gets into this pretty deeply in The War for Late Night; Conan readily admits he just has this deep-rooted, pathological need for attention.

Timby
Dec 23, 2006

Your mother!

Stare-Out posted:

From what I can gather, it's always in good jest. There was a Paley Center interview with Conan's writers circa Late Night and they pretty unequivocally said that Conan would rip on his staff constantly but it was always a joke. Also yeah, the Scrapisodes are definitely worth a watch, that's primo unscripted Conan.

Eh, some of the time. You can tell he's really in rear end in a top hat mode when he starts getting passive-aggressive.

Timby
Dec 23, 2006

Your mother!

GutBomb posted:

6-8 PM live show is not an optimal time for listening to the radio. Does sirius/xm offer a radio equivalent of a DVR or some sort of on-demand streaming of their shows? I'd be totally into this even willing to pay to subscribe if I can hear it whenever I want, like, when I'm driving. But I've got family stuff going on 6-8.

They have a streaming subscription with on-demand access for something like $15.99 / month.

Free 30-day trial.

Edit: If you want on-demand in your car, the total subscription package is $19.99 / month.

Timby
Dec 23, 2006

Your mother!

precision posted:

I thought the Daily Show was on some special weirdly long hiatus, and just now realized Hulu just stopped carrying it. At least it's free to watch on CC.

This came up maybe a week or two in the general chat thread. Viacom's been pulling pretty much everything from the streaming services as the contracts come up for renewal, with the belief being that they're going to migrate everything to CBS All Access, as they've poured a poo poo-ton of money into it.

Timby
Dec 23, 2006

Your mother!

ufarn posted:

Really weird that there doesn't seem to be anywhere to listen to the recordings.

SiriusXM wants subscribers, they aren't putting stuff out for free.

Timby
Dec 23, 2006

Your mother!

algebra testes posted:

Like, I mean, this show just is on a roll right now.

And it's showing in the ratings, finally. If this keeps up he should be ahead of Fallon in the key demo by mid-summer.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Timby
Dec 23, 2006

Your mother!

Jubs posted:

Who are the 1k+ assholes who disliked this video?

People who think that the liberal Hollywood elite should just tell the funnies and should be shot on sight if they ever express an actual opinion or feeling.

There were jackwagons who ripped Craig Ferguson to shreds when he told people to lay off Britney Spears and related his own story of recovery.