Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Yoshifan823
Feb 19, 2007

by FactsAreUseless
As douchy as he regularly looks, and as doofy as he looks singing right now, Bono has one hell of a voice.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Yoshifan823
Feb 19, 2007

by FactsAreUseless
Man, tomorrow night's show is a really, really hard sell, especially because they're premiering the Guardians of the Galaxy trailer on Kimmel.

Also, you know... Seinfeld.

Yoshifan823
Feb 19, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

The REAL Goobusters posted:

Kimmel sucks though.

Nah. He has his moments (for example: Any time Matt Damon shows up). Also, that Guardians trailer is gonna rock.

That reminds me, who are Conan's signature guests? Like, the people who, when they show up, you know you're getting a good show? Fallon has Timberlake, Kimmel has Matt Damon, Craig has Kristen Bell, but who does Conan have? And for that matter, what about Letterman?

Yoshifan823
Feb 19, 2007

by FactsAreUseless
Does Norm really show up that often? I mean, I know Norm on Conan is gold, but is he like a regular thing? (I genuinely have no idea)

Yoshifan823
Feb 19, 2007

by FactsAreUseless
Looking at the guest list for this week, I think they're really trying to both make Jimmy as comfortable as possible and show people exactly what a Fallon hosted show is. The first two nights are people who are either really hard to not like (Will Smith) or people who the Leno crowd will know and like (Seinfeld), and then you've got a couple SNL guests, The First Lady, and ending it with the quintessential Fallon Guest, Mr. Justin Timberlake.

Yoshifan823
Feb 19, 2007

by FactsAreUseless
And just in case we've forgotten who the real king of late night is, Craig Ferguson just got Gary Oldman to dance with a fake horse.

edit: Seriously what does Craig do to charm literally every woman in Hollywood between the ages of 18 and 90-whatever Betty White is? I think it's the accent.

Yoshifan823 fucked around with this message at 07:22 on Feb 18, 2014

Yoshifan823
Feb 19, 2007

by FactsAreUseless
Y'know, if Ellie Kemper weren't in Hollywood, she's be the woman arranging literally every high school reunion.

All of them.

edit: She is so midwestern.

Yoshifan823 fucked around with this message at 07:29 on Feb 18, 2014

Yoshifan823
Feb 19, 2007

by FactsAreUseless
Boy is Jerry Seinfeld unfunny.

Yoshifan823
Feb 19, 2007

by FactsAreUseless
If he makes an honest to god Airplane Food joke, I'm turning off the TV and burning all of my Seinfeld DVDs.

Yoshifan823
Feb 19, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

Rageaholic Monkey posted:

It's pretty crazy how such an unfunny stand up comedian starred in my all time favorite TV show. The writing really went a long way.

Larry David is a drat magician.

Yoshifan823
Feb 19, 2007

by FactsAreUseless
Kristen Wiig is adorable right now.

Yoshifan823
Feb 19, 2007

by FactsAreUseless
Wait, does that song really have the same chord progression as Summer Nights?

Yoshifan823
Feb 19, 2007

by FactsAreUseless
Fire whoever put those fake lashes on her.

Otherwise it was really good, but boy those lashes looked off.

Yoshifan823
Feb 19, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

God, Michelle Obama has such a good fashion sense. I don't think any First Lady has ever looked as good as her.

Jackie O says hi.

(Joke response: Marilyn Monroe)

(Super Joke response: Hillary Clinton)

(Super Super Joke response: she's got 3 years until Bill takes over "most stylish First Lady")

Yoshifan823
Feb 19, 2007

by FactsAreUseless
I love Jimmy's Adam Sandler impression.

Yoshifan823
Feb 19, 2007

by FactsAreUseless
"The Wolf of Ball Street"

Also, Jimmy looks like a 5 year old wearing Shaq's blazer.

Yoshifan823
Feb 19, 2007

by FactsAreUseless
I'm actually kinda excited for Late Night tonight, partially because I missed last night and want to see how Meyers does, and partially because I think it's hilarious that they have Kanye West and Russell Wilson, who are on complete opposites of the "How Scary Is That Black Person" dichotomy.

Yoshifan823
Feb 19, 2007

by FactsAreUseless
It should also be mentioned that not only was Joan Rivers a friend of Johnny, bur she actually guest-hosted the Tonight Show quite a bit, to the point where she was the designated guest host for a few years until she took her own show. The only person who guest hosted more than Joan during Johnny's time on the show was Joey Bishop, and that was wayyyyy earlier in his run.

Yoshifan823
Feb 19, 2007

by FactsAreUseless
Nah, he won't stay in character, it wouldn't be nearly as interesting, and would turn off a lot of the prime late show audience (old people).

I am curious if he'll continue to pronounce his name with the silent 't'. I've said it Col-bear for so long it would be wear to talk about Stephen Col-Bert.

Yoshifan823
Feb 19, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

bobkatt013 posted:

Didn't Craig say he did not want it?

Yeah, he's always said he'd step down when Dave left, but I'm hoping he'll stick around in his little corner of late night, dancing with fake horses and trading barbs with his robot sidekick in perpetuity.

Yoshifan823
Feb 19, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

EvilMoFo posted:

If Conan had waited 5 years, he could have had the tonight show without the drama.

Yes, but now he has his own show, and network TV has 5 really strong hosts on their late night shows.

Yoshifan823
Feb 19, 2007

by FactsAreUseless
I don't know who will be in it, but he'll probably take Michael Stipe off of his shelf and dust him off.

Yoshifan823
Feb 19, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

wa27 posted:

I was trying to think of other celebrities named Craig that CBS could find to continue the hosting trend, but I don't think there are any.

Once Ferguson leaves, I'll probably check out of Late Night shows for a while. Conan doesn't really do anything for me anymore. Fallon does some great bits but I'd rather just catch them on Youtube than watch his whole show. The intimacy of Craig's show was what pulled me in and nobody else really does that. We'll see what Colbert and the new Late Late Show host have up their sleeve, but I'm not holding out much hope.

The Late Late Show with Craig Robinson. Or, alternately, The Late Late Show with Your Old College Roommate, Craig. (that douche)

Yoshifan823
Feb 19, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

That animal segment on Fallon last night was loving hilarious and probably one of the best animal segments on a late night show I've ever seen. Jimmy and Rosario Dawson really get into it.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ciqlC8lOgfI
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_NDPJp7XDew

This dude is like a big 10-year-old around these animals, it's obvious he's doing his dream job.

Also funny: Kids looking ashamed of their parents because they don't know a thing about Harry Potter.

Yoshifan823
Feb 19, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

DJ Pauls Gimp Arm posted:

I can't agree more. I was born in '82 so I never saw Dave's Late Night live, but Conan's Late Night pretty much defined the last half of the 90's for me. As a gen x'er I just can't see how Seth Meyers' could ever have the same relevance, but I guess thats just how it goes. I am definitely planning on going back and checking out whatever clips I can find of Dave's NBC days.

The late night host who was that for me was Craig Ferguson, but unlike those guys, who got to live their careers out on late night TV, Craig got pushed off to make room for that dumb Brit git.

For whatever reason, I'm very unattached to the early nineties as a pop cultural era, so grunge, Simpsons, Conan, all do nothing for me. Craig was something I just found one day and he had a weird horse and amazing interviews and a robot sidekick, and I'm a little jealous that y'all get/got to watch their guy carve a niche while mine is hosting a game show and starring in failed pilots.

Yoshifan823
Feb 19, 2007

by FactsAreUseless
Advertising as a literal demon's curse to get a TV show.

I love you, Stephen.

Yoshifan823
Feb 19, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

Chris James 2 posted:

Give Clooney an Oscar for that

Three oscars, one for acting, one for writing, one for directing.

Yoshifan823
Feb 19, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

Alfred P. Pseudonym posted:

Jeb Bush is gonna take all the air out of the room, isn't he

My secret dream is that he's just gonna ream Jeb Bush with hard questions and throw him off his guard.

Yoshifan823
Feb 19, 2007

by FactsAreUseless
I do hope they bring up the correspondents dinner.

Yoshifan823
Feb 19, 2007

by FactsAreUseless
This just reminds me of how annoyed I am that James Corden has replaced Craig.

Yoshifan823
Feb 19, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

Deep Hurting posted:

He even looked like a smug, mouth-breathing douchebag immediately, the moment he stepped out on the stage. Very Hannityesque.

EDIT: I also want to add to the chorus saying that Biden interview was incredible. How often has anything that serious, honest, and heartfelt happened on a late night talk show, since 9/11? The only examples I can think of are Jon Stewart's comments on the Charleston Church Shooting, and Conan's farewell speech on losing The Tonight Show.

It may not be what people were expecting, but it definitely should prove to anyone who was uneasy about it that Colbert can indeed innovate the format after all.

Watch some moments of Craig's Late Late Show. He had things like eulogizing his mom, and his dad, talking about his alcoholism and why he won't make fun of Britney Spears, and his interview with Bishop Desmond Tutu, which got him a Peabody award. The Biden interview was fantastic, I think it was two guys who really connected with each other on a number of levels having a very honest conversation, but it's not the first time this has happened on a CBS late night show. Colbert and Craig have more honesty in them than Leno and Letterman, and even Carson or Conan did/do. Fallon and Meyers are very honest, but they're also really surface level, much more happy to trade cute silly stories rather than have discussions or dig in a little, which I chalk up to NBC not ever letting them get serious. Corden i dunno

Yoshifan823
Feb 19, 2007

by FactsAreUseless
John McCain is on to sponsor his project, "Blowing Up Brown People".

Yoshifan823
Feb 19, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

WITNESS THE POWER! posted:

I just had this thought: Do late night hosts have the option to decline a guest?

For example, Kim Kardashian has been on Conan, Leno and Letterman. Now, those guys probably didn't care, as they've been doing this for decades and they're used to interviewing uninteresting people, but the idea of her (or anyone like her) ever appearing on Colbert's show seems 99% impossible to me, so if there were ever talks for her to appear to promote something, Colbert could just say "Nah", right?

I mean obviously they have some amount of choice with who comes on, since almost every second guest on Late Show has been a non-celebrity, but as with all talk shows, I assume there's bound to be guests on the show in the future that Colbert will not give a poo poo about.

Kim Kardashian is a more interesting guest and better person than most of the tech guys Colbert has had on so far.

I assume CBS has the ability to say "this person has to come on" to Stephen, but how much they're integrated into the show is probably up to Colbert and his team. If they don't really want to deal with someone, they'd probably just give the typical "celebrity interview" and leave it at that.

Yoshifan823
Feb 19, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

I've seen them live like 3 times before. They're great. Haven't seen tonight's Colbert yet, but when I saw they were on the episode, I wondered why they hadn't been on a late night show before. They seem like they'd make a perfect guest for that format.

I'm currently living in Chicago, and a few months ago when I was browsing Craigslist, I saw an ad looking for an assistant for the Acro-Cats show, I seriously considered applying for a brief moment before I regained control of my mind. Would've been cool to meet Colbert though.

Also, gently caress Bill Maher.

Yoshifan823
Feb 19, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

The President of the United States and the First Lady are the best parts of this Colbert so far :allears:

There are people who think Michelle Obama is unattractive. Every time I see her, I remember this, and get more confused, because she looks like she's getting younger the longer Barack is in office.

Yoshifan823
Feb 19, 2007

by FactsAreUseless
And now, a conversation between two old friends with Margot Robbie just kinda sitting there awkwardly, occasionally answering questions.

Yoshifan823
Feb 19, 2007

by FactsAreUseless
Seeing Jon behind a desk again is making me a little misty.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Yoshifan823
Feb 19, 2007

by FactsAreUseless
I have to point this out because it's loving absurd: Bassem Yousef, in addition to doing all the cool poo poo he talked about on Colbert tonight (hosting a satire show that he stopped only because the government basically made him, etc.), he is also a fully trained cardiac surgeon. He had to choose between doing his first real TV show in Egypt and doing a pediatric cardiology fellowship in Cleveland, and provided aid during the Arab Spring protests.

Dude's amazing.