Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us $3,400 per month for bandwidth bills alone, and since we don't believe in shoving popup ads to our registered users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
hcreight
Mar 19, 2007

My name is Oliver Queen...

wa27 posted:

I finally found a Conan clip I've been looking for since it aired in 2005, on Myspace of all places:
https://myspace.com/322808816/video...harms/102241207

It's when Conan got sent a Chocolate Lucky Charms duffle bag. When the audience member flashed the gang sign I couldn't stop laughing. I thought I'd never see this again.

Boy I hope Conan never finds out about Count Chocula.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

hcreight
Mar 19, 2007

By the way if you're looking for a routinely funny bit from Conan's current show I recommend checking out the Clueless Gamer series. Conan's sense of humor and total lack of pretension about video games make him a more fun watch than 99% of the people who cover them for a living.

hcreight
Mar 19, 2007

CapnAndy posted:

Leno's audience are the last people who need "I'm going to come out every night and make jokes about things that happened today" explained to them!

Yes, but they're going to be confused why the man onstage is making jokes without saying "Did you see this?" first.

hcreight
Mar 19, 2007

Ok I laughed at "Lesbian Screech".

hcreight
Mar 19, 2007

Well played cameos, Fallon.

hcreight
Mar 19, 2007

A KARDASIHAN?

YOU BLEW IT FALLON

hcreight
Mar 19, 2007

hahahaha Colbert just made this worth it

hcreight
Mar 19, 2007

The Carlton

hcreight
Mar 19, 2007

Someone throw Bono off the building please.

hcreight
Mar 19, 2007

I wonder how Tina Fey and Lindsay Lohan interacted backstage between Mean Girls and the fact that 30 Rock openly made fun of Lohan a few times.

hcreight
Mar 19, 2007

That set is really pretty.

hcreight
Mar 19, 2007

hahaha Seth Meyers got Joe Biden y'all

hcreight
Mar 19, 2007

Fallon just called The Smiths an emo band. Hipster rage incoming.

hcreight
Mar 19, 2007

Smashlampjaw posted:

Lol at the guy not sitting on the couch

Awkward mystery seating solved.

hcreight
Mar 19, 2007

Much as I despised Fallon on SNL, he has evolved since then and if tonight is any indication, he won't be afraid to switch things up with his Tonight Show. I hope this works out.

hcreight
Mar 19, 2007

Yoshifan823 posted:

Does Norm really show up that often? I mean, I know Norm on Conan is gold, but is he like a regular thing? (I genuinely have no idea)

I'm not sure about recently, but it was on Late Night. The main reason Norm is on the infamous Gordon Ramsay episode from the last week of Late Night was that he was one of the show's most venerable guests. Norm and Conan know how to work off each other really well.

hcreight
Mar 19, 2007

Rageaholic Monkey posted:

That's not the correct pronunciation though, is it? There was a street in the neighborhood I grew up in as a kid called Colbert Street and nobody in the area called it Col-bert. It was always Col-bear. I'd been hearing it pronounced like that for years before Stephen's show even premiered.

Surname pronunciation's kind of a subjective thing, especially in this country. I'm sure you could find plenty of Colberts who pronounce it both ways.

That said, it would be silly and confusing to switch it now. And I think I remember him saying he goes by the silent 't' pronunciation in one of his "out of character" media interviews.

hcreight fucked around with this message at Apr 10, 2014 around 18:46

hcreight
Mar 19, 2007

Still Fluxing posted:

Let me preface this with saying I've never watched Seth Meyer's Late Night.

What's Seth Meyer's Late Night"hook"? Letterman revolutionized the Late Night format with his weird pre-taped bits and hijinks in the studio, Conan sort of picked up on that, without the cynicism, Jimmy Fallon had all the musical little bits he does, Ferguson is just charmingly bonkers. Does Meyer really just do the Leno thing and sits at his desk interviewing people?

His hook is he's one of Lorne Michaels' people, so NBC gave him the job because that's what they tend to do.

I haven't really watched his Late Night either, but there wasn't that much to him coming in. He never developed an identity on SNL beyond "competent Weekend Update anchor." Either he'll figure that out in the coming months or his show will crash and burn. Or NBC will carry his show as dead weight for lack of finding an audience for anything on their network besides The Voice and Football. His ratings look like they've been solid so far, though.

hcreight fucked around with this message at Apr 29, 2014 around 08:00

hcreight
Mar 19, 2007

Kimmel gets by on a lot of viral-friendly segments and the occasional crazy gimmick show. The Matt Damon hijacking the show thing was brilliant but obviously it's not easy to recapture that level of magic consistently.

hcreight
Mar 19, 2007

Norm getting the Late Late Show and running it into the ground would be a glorious 3 months of television but CBS isn't stupid enough to fall for that.

(Where was he a year ago when Late Night opened up?)

hcreight
Mar 19, 2007

TBS has never had a handle on how to build a stable original programming lineup. They sort of lucked into Conan because he happened to be available. Otherwise, it's been "Throw poo poo at the wall and see what sticks." And while I'm sure they'd love have hit original programming, they seem to do fine getting by on syndicated shows. King of The Nerds, a show specifically designed to be a companion piece to BBT reruns, was just renewed for Season 3 a few days ago.

hcreight fucked around with this message at Jun 5, 2014 around 21:10

hcreight
Mar 19, 2007

Megazver posted:

I'm getting the feeling that Conan is actually slowly getting into this poo poo.

It looked like he genuinely enjoyed the Project Morpheus street lugeing game. Surprise, surprise, video games can be fun when people get past the stigmas and preconceptions about gaming.

Seriously though Nintendo needs to stop it with the creepy PR girls. At least these ones didn't appear to be physically attached to DSes.

hcreight
Mar 19, 2007

Frankly, statistical proof that Fallon is not doing what Leno did is probably a positive thing.

hcreight
Mar 19, 2007

The man is 88 so the odds are good that he signs on as a producer for B-movies just so they get made.

On the other hand Stan Lee is even older and still manages to be involved in things here and there so who knows.

hcreight
Mar 19, 2007

Colbert had a gig doing lighthearted/humorous news stories for Good Morning America for a while in the 90s, and typically does press interviews as himself, if you're looking to track down stuff that shows how he is when he isn't Colbert the character.

hcreight
Mar 19, 2007

Ahahahahahaha

e: Here's a link to the bit in question: http://teamcoco.com/video/conan-dav...o-tinder-remote

Oh my God that van.

hcreight
Mar 19, 2007

He probably didn't want to make his entire staff uproot their lives again, like they did with The Tonight Show move.

hcreight
Mar 19, 2007

Awfully weird to give it to someone with next to no American exposure. Ferguson had at least been on The Drew Carey Show for a long time before his stint began.

hcreight
Mar 19, 2007

...who?

At least I knew who Craig Ferguson was from the Drew Carey Show before he took on the Late Late Show.

The closest he's been to a production that's well known in the US is The Wrong Mans, a British series that Hulu picked up, and two episodes of Doctor Who. Why they're rolling the dice on yet another white dude is beyond me.

hcreight
Mar 19, 2007

DominoDancing posted:

I've thought about this, and I don't think he'd be a good fit at all. The actual interview part would probably be wonderful, but I just can't see him doing the standup part. Thankfully, I don't think he would consider doing this for minute anyway.

If Fry were to do this (hypothetically) he'd probably switch the show back to more of a straight talk show format, ala Tom Snyder.

hcreight
Mar 19, 2007

I don't know you.

hcreight
Mar 19, 2007

That kitten is terrified and I feel bad for it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

hcreight
Mar 19, 2007

Megyn Kelly becoming a sympathetic figure in the Dem base is one of the most amazing/baffling things to come out of this shitshow of a primary.