Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us $3,400 per month for bandwidth bills alone, and since we don't believe in shoving popup ads to our registered users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
«3 »
Irish Joe
Jul 23, 2007

by Lowtax

Man, if this were 2009 I would be pumped!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Irish Joe
Jul 23, 2007

by Lowtax

The REAL Goobusters posted:

Fallon definitely improved though which is awesome.

What does Fallon do? Like, I know he does the singing thing and impressions, but is he good with jokes and skits?

Irish Joe
Jul 23, 2007

by Lowtax

Mister Kingdom posted:

Same will go for for Late Night when Seth makes his debut.

I don't have high hopes for Seth and I imagine NBC feels the same way. Seth is older than Fallon, comes from literally the same background and is ugly as poo poo, so his hire clearly isn't a succession plan. Meyers is there to fill a spot and I'm wondering what, if any, value he brings to late night. All things considered, it wouldn't a surprise to see Seth replaced either in the next year or the second his contract expires.

Irish Joe
Jul 23, 2007

by Lowtax

MikeJF posted:

Goddamn he is one handsome motherfucker for 37 years old.

37 isn't that old!

Irish Joe
Jul 23, 2007

by Lowtax

Vertical Lime posted:

Meanwhile, apparently Chelsea Handler is ending her E! show:

quote:

Handler said on Stern’s show that she’d like a forum like Netflix. Broadcast networks probably are out, given Handler’s raunchy brand of humor.

Yes, her "raunchy brand of humor" and not her failed ABC sitcom or the fact that her ex-boyfriend runs NBC.

Irish Joe
Jul 23, 2007

by Lowtax

Aphrodite posted:

Wednesday is kind of weak. Adam Sandler! Seth Rogan! The 4th most popular cast member from the Big Bang Theory!

I don't know, Simon Helberg is usually pretty funny when he's not on The Big Bang Theory.

Irish Joe
Jul 23, 2007

by Lowtax

Robnoxious posted:

The better half of the switch is premiering tomorrow morning. Only the 4th host to ever hold the TPIR (daytime) position in 40+ years.

Bill Cullen
Bob Barker
Drew Carey
Ricky Lake
Craig Ferguson

5?

Irish Joe
Jul 23, 2007

by Lowtax

ComposerGuy posted:

As far as replacements go, the thought just popped into my head: it could actually be Neil Patrick Harris.

It'd be nice if they found someone who wasn't so left coasty, imo.

Irish Joe
Jul 23, 2007

by Lowtax

Chand0X posted:

This poorly worded article makes it sound like CBS was considering Handler for Craig's job even before Dave's retirement announcement.....unless they were actually referring to what would happen if Craig did not renew after this year.

Wow, if Handler's people think leaking that poo poo is going to get her that job she's going to end up hosting Sunday nights at Yuk Yuk's.

Irish Joe
Jul 23, 2007

by Lowtax

Lumberjack Bonanza posted:

The only person who remembers the Craig Kilborn days is, possibly, Craig Kilborn.

Well, a long time ago people actually watched The Daily Show for the jokes and not just to have an unfunny liberal blowhard reaffirm their political beliefs. Those who enjoyed the jokier Daily Show still fondly remember Kilborn's run.

Irish Joe
Jul 23, 2007

by Lowtax

Mooseontheloose posted:

Cause god knows we need another show that is: celebrities am I right?

Really, though, anything is better than Stewart's infantile take on politics and the people dumb enough to think its insightful commentary.

Irish Joe
Jul 23, 2007

by Lowtax

DJ Pauls Gimp Arm posted:

It's really infuriating...this has been on the web since 2012 apparently, and NBC gives the world Jimmy Fallon, Seth Meyers and Fred Armisen. Ugh.

Yeah, heaven forbid NBC goes with a known quantity instead of handing over one of their most prestigious shows to a guy who does free radio on the internet.

Irish Joe
Jul 23, 2007

by Lowtax

thexerox123 posted:

All that you're saying here is that you have no awareness of stuff like Mr. Show or stand-up comedy in general.

All I'm saying is that Paul Thomkins is, at best, a marginal talent with zero name recognition outside the internet.

Irish Joe
Jul 23, 2007

by Lowtax

Yeah, not a household name like Conan O'Brien, Craig Ferguson, Pete Holmes, etc. were when they got their gigs.
Maybe "Win Ben Stein's Money" was the "name recognition" that got Jimmy Kimmel his show?

I'll give you Conan, but Ferguson was on The Drew Carey Show for years and Kimmel had The Man Show in addition to Win Ben Stein's Money. No clue who Pete Holmes is or why he's part of this discussion.

Irish Joe
Jul 23, 2007

by Lowtax

It was a bad appearance and Conan wasn't helping with his lazy set-ups ("I hear you watch TV"), but you'd have to be insanely thin-skinned to consider his light ribbing of the woman in the audience a take down.

Irish Joe
Jul 23, 2007

by Lowtax

wa27 posted:

As much as I would love it, there's no way that would happen. His show on Comedy Central and his interview podcast last year were flops.

His podcast wasn't a flop. It was 11 episodes of pure gold and will be returning sometime this year.

Irish Joe
Jul 23, 2007

by Lowtax

Lumberjack Bonanza posted:

Please watch Archer.

So what you guys are really saying is that you want a cartoon character voiced by Aisha Taylor to host LLS.

Irish Joe
Jul 23, 2007

by Lowtax

What a weird choice. McHale's isn't even that good on The Soup. He's like a slightly less terrible version of Chris Hardwick.

Irish Joe
Jul 23, 2007

by Lowtax

Gonz posted:

Tonight's episode was really incredible, too. He absolutely hijacked a segment with Mackenzie Davis 2 or 3 times with weird non-sequiturs.

Not to diss Norm or anything, but Mackenzie Davis talking about picking up roadkill and owl pellets to make "art" shouldn't have been interrupted. I would have loved to learn how far down the rabbit hole her madness goes.

Irish Joe
Jul 23, 2007

by Lowtax

It'd be a mistake for CBS to concede late night before giving Colbert a chance.

Irish Joe
Jul 23, 2007

by Lowtax

ufarn posted:

Maybe, but Colbert out of character is kinda of a wooly-sweater kind of guy, so it could be a very different show than we're used to.

Just because he's not doing the Colbert Report character doesn't mean he won't do a character. Johnny Carson was a hard drinking poon hound, but he still played folksy on his show. Colbert would be an imbecile if he didn't do at least some variation of his 'clueless but ardent broadcaster' character because, let's face it, vanilla Colbert is a loving bore.

Irish Joe
Jul 23, 2007

by Lowtax

Steve Vader posted:

Also, Morena Baccarin is very attractive, and the actress from Hercules is stunning enough that Craig kind of forgot how to talk (should be tonight's show) and he made a point of talking to the studio audience between segments to marvel about how dumbfoundingly stunning/scary she is.

The dress on that broad. Holy poo poo.

Irish Joe
Jul 23, 2007

by Lowtax

What the poo poo

Irish Joe
Jul 23, 2007

by Lowtax

I will say that as bizarre as this pick is, its nice that CBS is getting someone who isn't a Hollywood insider for the position. All the current hosts have the same voice and style so even if Corden is terrible, at least he's bringing something fresh to the table.

VVV Kilborn was about as well known then as Colbert is today.

Irish Joe
Jul 23, 2007

by Lowtax

Skunny Wundy posted:

Craig said in an interview that he wanted a woman to take over for him, so I doubt he had any say.

Well Corden is soft like a woman so it works out.

Irish Joe
Jul 23, 2007

by Lowtax

counterfeitsaint posted:

MacDonald wasn't just offensively unfunny, he's the kind of guy that makes you kinda nervous and uncomfortable and twitchy just to watch him.

That's his schtick. To his credit, MacDonald talked about wanted to change the format of the show to something more like Tom Snyder's Late Night. It might've been a terrible idea in execution, but at least its something a little more interesting than having a sixth late night host doing the same tired poo poo night after night.

Irish Joe
Jul 23, 2007

by Lowtax

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XWRYcaLRPpo

Irish Joe
Jul 23, 2007

by Lowtax

Pinwiz11 posted:

I'll watch, but it will be sad to not have Geoff there since I assume he wouldn't make the leap.

What makes you think James Corden won't keep Geoff and the horse?

quote:

Ferguson explained, “CBS and I are not getting divorced, we are ‘consciously uncoupling,’ but we will still spend holidays together and share custody of the fake horse and robot skeleton, both of whom we love very much,”

Irish Joe
Jul 23, 2007

by Lowtax

MikeJF posted:

I think his question was more why is Craig choosing to leave given he's basically doing the same thing in his new role. It wouldn't have been difficult to sort things out for him to stay on as Late Late Show host and it sounds like CBS was willing to keep him there.

It depends on the contract, but if he owns a piece of his new show, he's got a lot of that sweet syndication money coming his way. Also, being a more public face (late night vs early evening) will lead to more opportunities for product endorsements and the like.

Irish Joe
Jul 23, 2007

by Lowtax

Man, Conan carrying around that guitar like a security blanket is just sad.

Irish Joe
Jul 23, 2007

by Lowtax

No one is entitled to a job, least of all one like being the host of the Tonight Show.

Irish Joe
Jul 23, 2007

by Lowtax

Looking forward to this. As someone who can't stand Fallon, Meyers or Colbert, it'll be nice to see a new face in late night I don't want to punch.

CBS posted:

Corden is the ultimate multi-hyphenate..

Irish Joe
Jul 23, 2007

by Lowtax

I think Corden's fatness makes him seem more genuinely human and likeable than those other hosts. His fat face has a childlike quality to it. I don't know, I also like Kimmel, so maybe its just me.

Irish Joe
Jul 23, 2007

by Lowtax

DominoDancing posted:

Then again, what DO you watch late night shows for? The interviews?

I do what most people do and watch the skits the next morning on youtube.

Irish Joe
Jul 23, 2007

by Lowtax

I hate to break it to you, but nothing is unscripted.

Irish Joe
Jul 23, 2007

by Lowtax

The music wasn't bad, but it loses a lot when you see the paunchy, balding, middle-aged lead singer frugging on stage.

Apropos of nothing.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=u0Lv97_ero0

Irish Joe
Jul 23, 2007

by Lowtax

Was she a youtube personality or something? That might be her schtick. The sex-ed lady who's uncomfortable with sex. You know, kinda like how Richard Simmons is an out-of-shape aerobics instructor who's totally-not-gay.

Irish Joe
Jul 23, 2007

by Lowtax

-He needs a sidekick. While he does a great job on the face-to-face segments from behind the desk, everywhere else it feels like hes drowning and there's no one to throw him a life raft. Armisen arguably made the show worse, so I'm not sure what they could do to help here. At least a little more banter with the band or camera crew, anyone, really, would help I think.

Who's the best late night sidekick: Geoffry Peterson, Guillermo or Andy Richter?

Irish Joe
Jul 23, 2007

by Lowtax

In my opinion, the Late Late Show was the smartest of the late night shows. My guess is maybe he just wanted to do something a little less cranial?

Less cranial than swapping dick jokes with a robot?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Irish Joe
Jul 23, 2007

by Lowtax

I can't believe that's a thing now. New York never should have let Bloomberg quit.

«3 »