Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

SHVPS4DETH
Mar 19, 2009

seen so much i'm going blind
and i'm brain-dead virtually

Ramrod XTreme

Vertical Lime posted:

The bandleader for Seth Meyers has been announced. And it's Fred Armisen

Cushy gig. I bet he'll be a welcome addition since Seth only has one note in his act (though he plays it very well).

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SHVPS4DETH
Mar 19, 2009

Ramrod XTreme
If you asked me 2 years ago, I would have laughed in your face if you suggested Fallon at 11:30. Then I actually started watching his show and got to see firsthand that it's like night and day compared to the gormless jackass sketch-ruining corpse machine I remembered from SNL. Seriously, there's no big secret. He got better. It does happen.

SHVPS4DETH
Mar 19, 2009

Ramrod XTreme

SunshineDanceParty posted:

I wonder how many times Fred Armisen will do a weird awkward smile to the camera in the first month.

As many times as the show is broadcast x3. And it will be hilarious. What is your point?

SHVPS4DETH
Mar 19, 2009

Ramrod XTreme
I'm trying to imagine being someone who watched Leno every night forever and has no access to who Jimmy Fallon is or what he's like and this is their introduction to him.

CapnAndy posted:

Nnnnnnot sure that the audience needed monologues explained to them, Jimmy.

Those are the people he was talking to, not 'his' audience.

SHVPS4DETH
Mar 19, 2009

Ramrod XTreme
ahaha this is great

SHVPS4DETH
Mar 19, 2009

Ramrod XTreme

BodyMassageMachine posted:

Petition to change the thread title to: Late Night Talk Show Thread '14 - "Welcome to 11:30, bitch!"

Fourthed

SHVPS4DETH
Mar 19, 2009

Ramrod XTreme
Fun fact: I have met exactly one person in my entire life who would identify as a fan of U2.

SHVPS4DETH
Mar 19, 2009

Ramrod XTreme

Rageaholic Monkey posted:

I just hope he can maintain this abnormal show structure, really, as that would definitely keep things interesting.

They're front-loading it weirdly so I doubt it'll be like this regularly. The way they cut to the pre-taped performance almost looked like someone called an audible.

SHVPS4DETH
Mar 19, 2009

Ramrod XTreme

How does Will Smith manage to avoid aging?

I know it's not a funny answer but moisturizer is really effective stuff.

The REAL Goobusters posted:

Wait when did Lohan show up? What the gently caress.

I thought it was her ghost at first but I guess she's still alive. She looked strung out as gently caress, even for her. Barely showed her face at all.

SHVPS4DETH
Mar 19, 2009

Ramrod XTreme
That set is seriously gorgeous.

SHVPS4DETH
Mar 19, 2009

Ramrod XTreme

Seth Meyers' first show is probably going to suck a whole lot after seeing Fallon's first show, huh?

As good as he was doing Weekend Update I'd say he's going to be fine. It won't be nearly the same amount of spectacle, to be sure.

SHVPS4DETH
Mar 19, 2009

Ramrod XTreme
I like that the drummer has a visceral need to be seated somewhere behind the other three. The fact that it's loving up this shot is just gravy.

SHVPS4DETH
Mar 19, 2009

Ramrod XTreme
NO STAIRWAY

SHVPS4DETH
Mar 19, 2009

Ramrod XTreme

Teddybear posted:

Didn't realize you could make an acoustic bass that wasn't, y'know, a double bass. I learned something.

They don't resonate particularly well, as I'm sure you're hearing.

SHVPS4DETH
Mar 19, 2009

Ramrod XTreme

Deadpool posted:

Harrison Ford on Conan is always amazing. But Harrison Ford on anyone's talk show is usually amazing. One time on Fallon he pierced Fallon's ear.

Paul Rudd is always a great guest and has a great recurring gag that never gets old. Tom Hanks and Conan are always great together as well. Will Ferrel too.

Don't forget Tom Selleck. The show goes off the rails every single time he's there, no matter who the other guests are. And it's wonderful.

e: all white men look alike but Burt Reynolds is not Tom Selleck

SHVPS4DETH fucked around with this message at 11:04 on Feb 18, 2014

SHVPS4DETH
Mar 19, 2009

Ramrod XTreme

MikeJF posted:

Well, he used to, anyway. :( Anyone know why she stopped two years ago?

She was on within the last year or so before LLS got crowded out on my DVR.

Ralphis posted:

Isn't Tom Hanks one of Conan's signature guests?

He named Team Coco and every time he's on it's incredible, so yes?

SHVPS4DETH
Mar 19, 2009

Ramrod XTreme
Sorry to derail Fallonchat but Conan tonight with Mel Brooks celebrating the life and career of Sid Caesar was really fantastic. I know there can't always be a newly-deceased legend to do a deep dive on, but between this and Serious Jibber-Jabber there's a perhaps once-a-week format that could really elevate the show to something special. I say this as a big Conan fan who's been disappointed by the show pretty regularly for maybe a year.

SHVPS4DETH
Mar 19, 2009

Ramrod XTreme

DJ Pauls Gimp Arm posted:

^^^ No, I actually noticed this last week, too. I thought the intro felt short then I realized they had not titled the episodes. And I watch every episode on tv when it airs. That being said, I haven't really paid attention this week, so I don't know if they are doing them again now. I hope they do, it just feels...off... without them

It seems to be a permanent change. I feel like it's been a month without them already. And yes, the whole intro feels strange now because I got so used to the timing over the last 3+ years. The show lately has felt overstuffed and barely able to be cut to fit an hour.

SHVPS4DETH
Mar 19, 2009

Ramrod XTreme

Deadpool posted:

Paul Rudd lip synching to Queen may be one the greatest things I've seen in my entire life. Tayne would have been proud.

Seriously the man is a national treasure based on his talk show appearances alone.

SHVPS4DETH
Mar 19, 2009

Ramrod XTreme
Y'all are nuts, Seth's monologue was fine. And then he got a great, serious and likeable interview out of Kanye.

Let me repeat that, in case your heads are still stuck in SNL a decade ago like they've been lately about Fred Armisen, Jimmy Fallon, and Seth Meyers:

Seth Meyers got a great, serious and likeable interview out of Kanye West.

Seriously get your minds right. If nothing else, respect that Seth's got a Stefon nesting doll on his desk.

SHVPS4DETH
Mar 19, 2009

Ramrod XTreme
I'd like to talk about Late Night with Seth Meyers tonight, but first... a sticka gum.

SHVPS4DETH
Mar 19, 2009

Ramrod XTreme
Drew Carey is terrible at delivery and has no business being near a monologue. If he didn't have LLS's writers he would have died completely.

I haven't seen Drew in a really long time; did they do his hair like Craig's as a goof or is that his reality now?

SHVPS4DETH fucked around with this message at 10:24 on Apr 1, 2014

SHVPS4DETH
Mar 19, 2009

Ramrod XTreme

olin posted:

It's so obvious who Seth Meyers should be replaced with.

Normally I'd say "Why not replace Craig?" but no one can. Also CBB has a multi-year deal with IFC at this point so it's not happening regardless.

I'd suggest Paul F Thompkins. Keep the show on the west coast and use his stature.

Also Seth owns and haters can vacate.

SHVPS4DETH
Mar 19, 2009

Ramrod XTreme
So after his appearance on Conan tonight Dave Attell can gently caress off forever. I can't believe I liked that guy in the 90s.

SHVPS4DETH
Mar 19, 2009

Ramrod XTreme

GutBomb posted:

I just watched it based on this post and didn't see anything egregious. It wasn't very funny, but I've never found him all that funny so maybe it's just that he was not that funny?

I would say aggressively not funny. Bitter and combatively unfunny. Very off-putting. He tried to take down a crowd member and Seth Green for no reason.

SHVPS4DETH
Mar 19, 2009

Ramrod XTreme
Fair enough, I guess calling audience members fat is super hilarious crowd work and I'm just a square.

I found nothing he said to be offensive, just super duper unfunny.

SHVPS4DETH
Mar 19, 2009

Ramrod XTreme

Mister Kingdom posted:

Yeesh, that Rocky musical looks like it'll be as good as the Spider-Man one.

I about died at the choreography. I'm still not convinced that it wasn't a joke.

SHVPS4DETH
Mar 19, 2009

Ramrod XTreme

xcore posted:

So what is the general opinion in the US on how Jimmy Fallon is doing? Are people liking it? Is it popular?

He's consistently doing better than Leno was, and there's plenty of buzz. Several segments go viral every week.

SHVPS4DETH
Mar 19, 2009

Ramrod XTreme

It deserved less than it got. Fade back into the ether of 1993, you hack.

SHVPS4DETH
Mar 19, 2009

Ramrod XTreme

CaptainYesterday posted:

January, I think.

Yup somewhere in Q1 this year after a long break the shortened title sequence sans ep names started. I miss them quite a bit honestly. The show hasn't felt like itself consistently this whole year. Like there are still really funny episodes but the monologue in particular has gotten more and more joyless and very few jokes are landing (exception being the Burt's Bees punfest this week). I was shocked that he got renewed for so long because I've been reading him as sort of resigned for so many months. Maybe it's just me!

SHVPS4DETH
Mar 19, 2009

Ramrod XTreme

How is Celebrity Survey still so loving great after all these years?

Steven Tyler, check. Clintons, check. Larry King, check. Nicolas Cage, check. This is why the bit never gets old. I'm just surprised that there wasn't a Chris Christie.

SHVPS4DETH
Mar 19, 2009

Ramrod XTreme
I'm so glad they didn't cut the bit with the fire alarm on Conan. The monologues have gotten so poor lately that it was a welcome change.

SHVPS4DETH
Mar 19, 2009

Ramrod XTreme
Has Conan ever colored his hair before? Because holy hell is it unsubtle.

SHVPS4DETH
Mar 19, 2009

Ramrod XTreme

xbilkis posted:

Reggie Watts is going to be Corden's band leader, the head writer is the co-creator of Tosh.0 and the start date has been pushed back to March 23.

I am jazzed, non-plussed, and indifferent respectively.

But what does this mean for Comedy Bean Ba-- Comedy Bing Bo-- Bur Bah-- :ohdear:

SHVPS4DETH
Mar 19, 2009

Ramrod XTreme

Frostwerks posted:

You want to see something really dire, watch Conan's first monologue back from the break.He whiffed on like four or five jokes on a row. It was painful.

Conan's monologues have been absolute garbage for about a year now. It's really sad but I'm glad that the audiences consistently aren't afraid to poo poo on bad jokes. It still doesn't explain why he's still telling East Coast jokes when he's been in LA for like 5 years.

SHVPS4DETH
Mar 19, 2009

Ramrod XTreme

Space_Butler posted:

Once again Conan reaffirms that he needs to do remotes so much more often. That segment at the Taco Bell HQ was hilarious.

The Archer bit was incredible too.

SHVPS4DETH
Mar 19, 2009

Ramrod XTreme

Still Fluxing posted:

Yeop. I was really surprised that Jack McBrayer's attached to it. Surely he could do better than that?

Clearly you didn't see the Conan remote where they went to The Weiner's Circle.

SHVPS4DETH
Mar 19, 2009

Ramrod XTreme

Frostwerks posted:

Who was the guy who got such a huge response from the women in the audience in the craigslist ad segment on Wednesdays conan? Anybody at all? Just seems strange for some rando to get such a rise.

Are you talking about the actual human being whom not only purchased but wore to a television taping an "Orgasm Donor" t-shirt? Because those may have been squeals of horror at recognition of their worst nightmare come to life. That or it's some local comedian who makes fun of people who are actually that dumb. I hope so, anyway.

SHVPS4DETH
Mar 19, 2009

Ramrod XTreme

Frostwerks posted:

Conan's most recent VLOG was absolutely killer.

DURST ALERT

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SHVPS4DETH
Mar 19, 2009

Ramrod XTreme
The LLS where they crashed a person's house party with their crew and Jeff Goldblum was a lot of fun, but Corden has to remember that he's wearing an immobile mic so his short bursts of laughter get distracting and overpower the audio. Otherwise he's quite good.