Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

ufarn
May 30, 2009

Quest For Glory II posted:

Maybe NBC can grab Ferguson and put him on Late Night after they realize how bad Seth Meyers' Late Night is.
Did you ever watch Fallon's show, when he started out?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ufarn
May 30, 2009

Lumberjack Bonanza posted:

You call it "preaching to the choir," I call it "knowing your audience." He's not on a loving pulpit, he's basically doing stand up with the assistance of a projector (and a chair).
With a crowd cheering him on like the Colosseum.

ufarn
May 30, 2009
Is Colbert Report and Daily Show blocked for people outside NA now as well?

ufarn
May 30, 2009
Anyone know why CC decided to set up a region wall for Colbert and Stewart two weeks or so ago for those of us outside NA?

Kinda bummed I missed out on the Bundy and Sterling coverage. :smith:

ufarn
May 30, 2009

Still Fluxing posted:

:confused: I'm in Sweden, and I can access it just fine.
Wut. That's weird as hell.

ufarn
May 30, 2009
Maybe, but Colbert out of character is kinda of a wooly-sweater kind of guy, so it could be a very different show than we're used to.

ufarn
May 30, 2009
How (un)known was Craig Kilborn, when he got his gig?

ufarn
May 30, 2009

dr_rat posted:

Dara o Briain would of been awesome. The guys funny as hell, knows how to host a show, and also then US late night tv would have two O'Brien/o Briain's (the different spelling would just add to the amusement.)
I think Americans would have a hard time of understanding him, though.

ufarn
May 30, 2009
I don't get why people would watch Conan unironically.

ufarn
May 30, 2009

wa27 posted:

Mostly people who grew up watching him.
Time to take that mutt behind the woodshed.

ufarn
May 30, 2009
Conan's monologue is awful and beyond formulaic, but it's a general problem in late night that all hosts feel compelled to stick to the same drat format. Only Craig Ferguson really owns the monologue.

ufarn
May 30, 2009
To not defend Conan, his pathological refusal to change up his style is one of my biggest problems with him. He's just been phoning it in Letterman style, since he joined TBS.

ufarn
May 30, 2009
He's a fan of tongue-twisters:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rSAaiYKF0cs

ufarn
May 30, 2009

Frostwerks posted:

Did conan do a Tuesday show? Says Steven Yeun was on the schedule but the full episode playlist is still stuck on Monday and usually it's 11am on the dot.
It's up on the YouTube channel.

ufarn
May 30, 2009
It's amazing that late-night shows deliberately appear to employ the same exact look, not just in hosts, but in sets as well.

It's so weird to compare with British shows like Norton, Ross, Parkinson, and (Alan) Carr whose sets are completely distinct.

ufarn
May 30, 2009

DivisionPost posted:

I understand Corden isn't exactly one of the good guys, but this article reads like a straight-up hatchet job; a Nelson Muntz laugh disguised as a gossip article. Conan's first couple of years were rough. Jimmy Fallon's first run might as well have been "Late Night With Jimmy's Flopsweat." I've got no doubt that Corden's going to suck out of the gate, but that in no way precludes a great show down the line. This is just mean and needlessly hurtful.
The worst part of it is that it's not so much manufactured chaos as much as it's taking some minor problems and blowing them out of proportion. Of course dude's going to be nervous as hell, and of course you'll be able to find people who don't love him out of the gate.

And there are worse things than bombing anyway - the tradition of coasting on name recognition by the likes of Letterman, Leno, and Conan is so much worse.

I guess George Lopez managed to combine both, though.

ufarn
May 30, 2009

Frostwerks posted:

I think I kinda missed the Conan scandal when it was happening. Are there any youtube recaps of these shows? I kinda wanna see the contemporary take on the whole ordeal from one of the principals.
"Team Coco" was literally the name of the "protest" against NBC firing Conan - which was a total outrage, because they promised him the Tonight Show, if he renewed his contract for a few years. I can't remember whether hashtags were that popular back then, but you can try searching for it - maybe http://teamcoco.tumblr.com/archive.

"Coco" was Tom Hanks's pet name for Conan, and Team Coco eventually became the unofficial-official show/brand name.

ufarn
May 30, 2009
Conan weirdly fell into a routine very early on, as if he'd done the show for 10 years - like Leno or Letterman. Anyone remembering his opening can recall him doing the jump, as the intro music ends, maybe the string dance, and then he'd go on to make fun of Max, and he'd serve up some jokes no one cared about - which, to be fair, no audience ever does in a monologue, unless it's Craig Ferguson.

It felt like he was afraid to experiment, even as he seemed to have some of the best late-night writers at the time. Now Kimmel seems to have the best ones - and Fallon makes it up with sketches.

ufarn
May 30, 2009

pwn posted:

"Co-Co" was first coined in a Twitter Tracker bit :eng101: Hanks just co-opted it for his own nefarious ends.
drat YOU WIKIBEAR! :argh:

ufarn
May 30, 2009

Frostwerks posted:

Conan's most recent VLOG was absolutely killer.
It's like Wayne's World 2.0.

ufarn
May 30, 2009

JazzFlight posted:

He's... sitting in a swivel office chair?
This is the dumbest possible thing they could have done. Especially with a new host.

counterfeitsaint posted:

I didn't know anyone could maintain that high pitched "I'm completely fake and lying right now" tone of voice for so long.
The Fallon laugh is still the worst.

ufarn
May 30, 2009

Mo0 posted:

Kimmel's already said he's not gonna air anything on the last night, but he's also a lifelong Dave fanatic, so I'd be willing to expect a touching, heartfelt speech from him.
He made it up by trashtalking Leno.

ufarn
May 30, 2009
Corden's got some good videos here and there and has better interviewing skills than pretty much anyone on late night, but I don't blindly tune in to watch an entire episode like I would with Craig. Craig's monologues were basically the only moderately funny ones.

ufarn
May 30, 2009
That is what is known as a font party, folks.

ufarn
May 30, 2009
Geoff is getting a show - kind of!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=j1Gep_hAP3A

ufarn
May 30, 2009
I think we've just reached the quota for late-night hosts doing the exact same shtick without changing the formular: Conan and Kimmel are enough. I'm kinda glad Meyers is failing, because the format has been in dire need for reinvention for a long time. Consider that the New York Times dedicated an ENTIRE article to the "news" that Meyers will no do his monologues sitting. US late night is ridiculous.

It's going to be interesting to see how well Colbert manages to stand out. I don't really have any expectations for his show, but we know he's talented and knows his improv.

ufarn
May 30, 2009
It looks like he's opening a dry cleaner.

ufarn
May 30, 2009

Skunny Wundy posted:

in case anyone was curious, james corden is still terrible.
He's going to end up as an Uber driver.

ufarn
May 30, 2009

Nostalgia4Butts posted:

Tim Cook is going to be on Colbert on 9/15

hopefully he'll be the first tech guest to not be a lovely guest
“We’re incredibly proud of this, and” *insert 50,000 Apple talking points*.

ufarn
May 30, 2009
This was my favourite so far, even with Tim Cook being as boring as corporate cardboard.

ufarn
May 30, 2009
Stewart (and Colbert prob) used to get visits from Steve Jobs back in the days, so it's not a transactional thing; they just really like Apple and their products - and Colbert just sucks at being critical of them.

ufarn
May 30, 2009
The band has been pretty lacklustre so far, yeah. Batiste also has a pretty bad situational awareness, so his timing's usually off. Granted, Colbert brought what seems to be the liveliest band leader in late night and hamstringing him by having him do as little as Kevin Eubanks.

ufarn
May 30, 2009
I think this shows that it can be enough to be critical of a guest to do a good job; you don't have to destroy them or whatever for it to be successful, because you're not going to change the course of the election anyway.

ufarn
May 30, 2009
I think Trump's non-response to the basic loving question of whether Obama is an American citizen or not was more than enough; it's just the same as saying he isn't an American. Not to mention his poor attempt at changing the topic (are troops? Really?).

ufarn
May 30, 2009
I've kinda stopped watching Colbert at this point. I don't know what his forté is on the show, but if something good comes along, I assume it'll be on YouTube anyway. Fallon and Corden are easier that way, because they seem to go more for the viral sort of stuff.

Of course, Colbert is just starting out, so I'm sure he'll find and hone his segments more, but it's been disappointing just how little he's shaking up the late-night format.

ufarn
May 30, 2009
He seems like he wants to involve Batiste, but Batiste is absolutely awful at doing anything interactive. At least it looks like they finally made the decision of turning off his mic, when he's not directly involved.

I really wished he could be involved more, and evidently Colbert and Batiste still are in the early stages of figuring out the role he can play, if any.

ufarn
May 30, 2009
The Roots is the most talented late-night band in history, and even Jimmy doesn't do much if any comedy back and forth with them. Improv comedy takes skill, and it's not something you rope the band leader into doing right out of the gate. Max Weinberg, Shaffer, and Kevin Eubanks should have taught people a lesson, but Colbert apparently still thought it was a good idea.

ufarn
May 30, 2009

Hakkesshu posted:

I mean I agree it's awkward, but it's not really a big problem?
Colbert's show feels very also-ran, so the things that outright bother me stand out more than they would if his show had a bit more newness to it. Hopefully he'll find a style that works for him.

ufarn
May 30, 2009

SgtSteel91 posted:

That Fast Family Feud on Jimmy Fallon was really great.
Great on Corden as well. Weird that everyone's doing it now.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ufarn
May 30, 2009
Seth's really good at interviews, if he gets the right guest. His political bits are also pretty good, sometimes great, which is more than you can usually say for Colbert (and any of the other "non-political" hosts ofc).

At least Seth was the first to not do anything to update the late night format; Colbert is just coasting in name recognition doing the same thing it seems. It's not like his band is doing anything for him.