Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Hakkesshu
Nov 4, 2009

Ohtsam posted:

So Jeb Bush is going to be Stephen's first guest on the late show. Kind've a risky choice for but of them.

He's been doing a bunch of promos with Mitt Romney on his Youtube channel too. It's kinda weird!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hakkesshu
Nov 4, 2009

I don't care for Kimmel because have you SEEN his loving show holy poo poo

I tuned in back when they had the exclusive GotG trailer and it's one of the most excruciating talk show experiences I've ever seen. I'd watch Leno over that poo poo any day of the week.

Hakkesshu
Nov 4, 2009

Liked the show a lot apart from the monologue which is always total poo poo in every one of these shows, I guess inevitably. The whole bit with the cursed medallion was so goddamn Colbert.

Hakkesshu
Nov 4, 2009

zakharov posted:

The Colbert Report is already getting retconned to a show where every line was a work of staggering genius from day 1. Come on people.

I remember the first episode of Colbert Report being really loving good. It was a mission statement for the show as a whole and he nailed the first WØRD so hard. I don't know where this "everyone poo poo on the first episode" thing comes from, though I wasn't on SA at the time.

Hakkesshu
Nov 4, 2009

Second show was good, I really liked that he circumvented the whole monologue by talking about the production, I wanna see more of that kind of honest stuff instead of lazy references to current events. First half of the ScarJo interview ventured a bit too close the traditional celeb-fellatio nonsense that these shows thrive on, but he salvaged it by doing something weird and different, hope he can keep throwing curveballs like that. Wanna keep watching the show for sure, I haven't really followed any non-TDS/CR talkshow since like mid-2000s Letterman.

Hakkesshu
Nov 4, 2009

So far the show just comes across as a longer Colbert Report, quite frankly, which I'm totally fine with. The only thing that gives me a little whiplash is the second guest, it just seems excessive. Still, I think what Stephen has that most other talkshow hosts don't is boundless enthusiasm, it's hard to imagine him ever phoning anything in.

Hakkesshu
Nov 4, 2009

Dalael posted:

I find its quite the contrary. It doesn't feel like the colbert report and the difference between Stephen Colbert and "Stephen Colbert" is quite readily apparent. It may be why I'm not that enthusiastic about it. I really loved the old show :(

His style of comedy is the exact same though even if he isn't overtly playing a character. I find there's little difference in the overall tone and mood of the two shows. I was absolutely dreading him taking over because I think the late night format breeds extreme laziness, like I never thought Letterman was very funny, and although I like Conan a lot he can be really hit or miss too.

We'll see how long it lasts, but Colbert was probably already the best talkshow host I've ever seen, this has been an extremely strong start. That whole Biden interview was some next level poo poo, and he did it on the third night. Best thing I can say is I wanna keep watching it, he's just so goddamn good.

Hakkesshu
Nov 4, 2009

So is he running opposite Fallon right now? Boy I almost feel bad for him, but then I remember he is Jimmy Fallon.

Does Leno still have a show?

Hakkesshu
Nov 4, 2009

Rageaholic Monkey posted:

Where's Chris Hardwick?

In a dumpster out back, one would hope

Hakkesshu
Nov 4, 2009

Axel Serenity posted:

All that said, good for Colbert. One of my favorite things about Letterman was that he was a genuinely good interviewer and was not afraid to touch on things that most comedy talk shows wouldn't (remember the Paris Hilton interview?). Colbert's been following that tradition pretty well, and I'm loving it.

Well we don't even have to use Paris Hilton as an example, here's a more appropriate one

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SYoOPgeTMQc

I don't think it's that hard to make Trump look bad, I mean he's good at bullshitting, but if you call him out on anything real he can't actually give a proper answer

Hakkesshu
Nov 4, 2009

Mo_Steel posted:

I will say this, I think he legitimately doesn't want his crowd to boo because this person is his guest whatever their disagreements, which is a goddamn gentlemanly thing to do.

Yeah, no matter the context, inviting a guest to come to a show and then letting your audience boo him would be a lovely thing to do. He handled that well. I'm just curious what Ted Cruz actually thought he would get out of appearing in the first place.

Hakkesshu
Nov 4, 2009

Maybe he and Trevor are really good friends or something? I wouldn't think he'd have any problems lining up bigger guests, at least in the beginning

Hakkesshu
Nov 4, 2009

Late to the party but poo poo that Tom Hanks skit was funny as gently caress

Hakkesshu
Nov 4, 2009

Man that whole birthday cake bit really was classy as gently caress. Stephen just seems like the nicest guy :unsmith:

Hakkesshu
Nov 4, 2009

It's strange how he goes on about having played a character for 10 years that's now dead and then he does a bunch of segments that are basically ripped straight out of the Colbert Report right down to the same mannerisms. I can't tell whether it's intentional or not.

Hakkesshu
Nov 4, 2009

Gina Rodriguez was kind of the first guest I thought was pretty much a total dead-end between her not being a very good interviewee and her show sounding like total vapid dogshit. I don't know if Jane the Virgin is good or super popular or something, but given how interesting the guests have been so far she seemed entirely out of place.

Hakkesshu
Nov 4, 2009

I don't care about the dancing, but the new announcer is poo poo, he totally should've kept doing it himself

Hakkesshu
Nov 4, 2009

I'd say he's shaking up the format by being a better host than literally anyone else.

Hakkesshu
Nov 4, 2009

ufarn posted:

He seems like he wants to involve Batiste, but Batiste is absolutely awful at doing anything interactive. At least it looks like they finally made the decision of turning off his mic, when he's not directly involved.

Yeah anytime they try to involve him it's just really awkward 'cause it doesn't at all seem like he has any idea how to talk on a camera other than say "yeah" a lot.

Hakkesshu
Nov 4, 2009

ufarn posted:

The Roots is the most talented late-night band in history, and even Jimmy doesn't do much if any comedy back and forth with them. Improv comedy takes skill, and it's not something you rope the band leader into doing right out of the gate. Max Weinberg, Shaffer, and Kevin Eubanks should have taught people a lesson, but Colbert apparently still thought it was a good idea.

I mean I agree it's awkward, but it's not really a big problem?

Hakkesshu
Nov 4, 2009

Echo Chamber posted:

I know years ago it stopped being cool to openly hate Seth MacFarlane but...

Gosh I am so sick of him and I wish it was still cool to hate him. Get out of everything that I like. :(

You can hate him all you want, I don't think he's a bad guy or anything, but all he does is put out endless garbage.

Hakkesshu
Nov 4, 2009

I don't know, whenever he does interviews and such he seems like a very nice man

Hakkesshu
Nov 4, 2009

Nostalgia4Butts posted:

Also this Jon Batiste segment looks like it's the filler for Karl Ove Knausgaard not showing up today

Turns out Jon Baptiste can be more chatty, I guess he's just not good at pointless small talk.

Hakkesshu
Nov 4, 2009

Lumberjack Bonanza posted:

Am I the only person in the world that thinks Judd Apatow just loving sucks? He feels like the Michael Bay of comedy to me. I don't have any real respect for a single one of his films, even if they can make me laugh here and there. He's never been able to put together a cohesive package of good, enjoyable laughs for me.

I've never liked a Judd Apatow movie, no

Hakkesshu
Nov 4, 2009

Nostalgia4Butts posted:

he's really held back on it on CBS though, especially the LOTR stuff

Not really, it feels like he goes on some LOTR rant about once a week

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hakkesshu
Nov 4, 2009

The whole douchebag tech CEO interview cycle is the only thing that really rubs me the wrong way about Colbert, but he's so good at interviewing that he gets the most out of it. Hopefully that's something he can grow out of.