Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Macdeo Lurjtux
Jul 5, 2011

BRRREADSTOOORRM!
No, they just got joint custody of the sharks.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Macdeo Lurjtux
Jul 5, 2011

BRRREADSTOOORRM!
That's cool, from her twitter she seems like a pretty talented comedienne so it's good to see her getting some work that isn't a 30 second cameo in Californication.

Macdeo Lurjtux
Jul 5, 2011

BRRREADSTOOORRM!
Yeah, I’ve watched some of it since my wife is a fan and it feels like a standard schmaltzy network show that gets elevated by the strength of its acting talent. Sterling K Brown could sell any role.

Macdeo Lurjtux
Jul 5, 2011

BRRREADSTOOORRM!
Oh god, I forgot about Apple Picking with Mr. T

Edit: I’m not seeing the Mr T segment I thought apple picking was, the one where they’re reading poetry and Mr T keeps cracking up with that ridiculous laugh.

Macdeo Lurjtux fucked around with this message at 19:49 on Mar 27, 2019

Macdeo Lurjtux
Jul 5, 2011

BRRREADSTOOORRM!
I liked the Conan segment, though I got the feeling that episode was filmed a few weeks ago.

Macdeo Lurjtux
Jul 5, 2011

BRRREADSTOOORRM!
Same, though “You even been to Albuquerque Jeff?” Is a close third.

Macdeo Lurjtux
Jul 5, 2011

BRRREADSTOOORRM!
I was surprised to hear Bill Nader doing his Vincent Price impression but I guess he was just starting as a featured player back then.

Macdeo Lurjtux
Jul 5, 2011

BRRREADSTOOORRM!

Steve Vader posted:

Is Jon Oliver fair game here? If so, I'm trying to remember the episode where he recently poo poo on Stephen A Smith but I'm coming up blank.

I remember the episode but now the main story. It would have been early October since the topic of the burn was the NBA kowtowing to China over the Rockets GM supporting HK.

Macdeo Lurjtux
Jul 5, 2011

BRRREADSTOOORRM!
Yeah, this is the first time since SNL that I actually liked Fallon. He's coming off so earnest and relaxed.

Macdeo Lurjtux
Jul 5, 2011

BRRREADSTOOORRM!

Djarum posted:

It was pretty drat amazing. Tracy just went nuts for 20 minutes.

He didn't try to stab him this time, right?

Macdeo Lurjtux
Jul 5, 2011

BRRREADSTOOORRM!
You don't really have to solicit for stories. You can't spend a week in L.A. without someone leaning in and telling you a story about how awful Ellen is, whether you know that person or not. It's like New Yorkers and stories about rodents of unusual size.

Macdeo Lurjtux
Jul 5, 2011

BRRREADSTOOORRM!
Yeah, he no longer looks like an 80 year Jewish retiree and now he looks like a freshly divorced 60 year old.

JB channeling Isaac Hayes hard right now.

Macdeo Lurjtux fucked around with this message at 04:14 on Sep 2, 2020

Macdeo Lurjtux
Jul 5, 2011

BRRREADSTOOORRM!

Watermelon Daiquiri posted:

Is it him or Seth that makes the looks like a lesbian joke? Or both?

Also hes like twice her size lmao

Amber and Jenny make the jokes about Seth having a lesbian's haircut.

Macdeo Lurjtux
Jul 5, 2011

BRRREADSTOOORRM!

SamBishop posted:

I've long thought that Seth is the only person in late night that was actually saying anything with barbs instead of trying to comedy around poo poo, but Amber Ruffin might feel like the best new host I've seen in a long rear end time. I bit on more than a few jokes and the fact that she's rolling with this minus an audience is kinda impressive.

I ADORE that she's going for basically "Conan back in the day but just the fun bits" instead of just doing the inevitable interviews that will come in. Putting comedy first makes me happy, though that's a LOT of heavy lifting. Still, the angle is something important and I am very sad this isn't actually on network TV.

Give it a little time, this is definitely a trial run for her to take Late Night when Seth moves on to take over for Lorne.

Macdeo Lurjtux
Jul 5, 2011

BRRREADSTOOORRM!
Hopefully going to a seasonal format let's him lure back some of his old writers like the Pffr crew.

Macdeo Lurjtux
Jul 5, 2011

BRRREADSTOOORRM!

Watermelon Daiquiri posted:

guys I think the lack of an audience is getting to the Late Night's writer room...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=exPAh0wAqA8

I lost it at Seth's pretend conversation with his dad at the end. It's stuff like this bit that make think of 90s era Conan the most.

Macdeo Lurjtux
Jul 5, 2011

BRRREADSTOOORRM!

EL BROMANCE posted:

I like to think ‘stasis’ is a Red Dwarf reference, a show Craig was in for an episode but I’m not sure he remembers.

https://youtu.be/uBNizB6KRnI

He remembers, watching his performance was a big part of why Craig always said he'd never do a guest on Dr. Who.

Macdeo Lurjtux
Jul 5, 2011

BRRREADSTOOORRM!
Conan did a brief live chat before taping tomorrow show this evening. One of the things he revealed was that he still has the Taurus.

Macdeo Lurjtux
Jul 5, 2011

BRRREADSTOOORRM!
I was watching classic clips yesterday to lead up to the airing. Was Jordan Schlansky the Vulcan that would out periodically and flip people off?

Macdeo Lurjtux
Jul 5, 2011

BRRREADSTOOORRM!
My dream for his variety show would be to bring back the PFFR guys and recruit some of the College Humor writers.

Macdeo Lurjtux
Jul 5, 2011

BRRREADSTOOORRM!

Djarum posted:

Lorne loves him and NBC knows how important Lorne is to them. They were looking to try and replace him before they resigned him. They were putting out feelers to a ton of people and had some interviews. Now how much of that was negotiating tactics and how much of it was NBC looking to see what their options are I don't know. I am aware that there has been concern within NBC for a while over the amount of power and reliance they have with Lorne with their late night and comedy programing in general. Leno was "their" guy which is why they kept trying to keep him around in some form even after he "left" the Tonight Show.

When Lorne is gone things are going to get real spicy at NBC.

Well Leno was their guy according to one person. Jeff Zucker, the then president of NBC. He was at Harvard at the same time as Conan and actually had Conan arrested after Conan pranked the student paper Zucker was in charge of.

Macdeo Lurjtux
Jul 5, 2011

BRRREADSTOOORRM!
Man, Seth's interview with Hader was great. I love when comedians just crack each other up.

Macdeo Lurjtux
Jul 5, 2011

BRRREADSTOOORRM!
Random 5 minute Dennis Miller impersonation on Seth was a bit weird.

Macdeo Lurjtux
Jul 5, 2011

BRRREADSTOOORRM!
They only did the two shows last week because of the ones he missed with Covid. NBC told the show to take August off because the the entire networks ratings are poo poo in the summer and it's not worth the cost to do the show until September and seasonal shows start up again.

Macdeo Lurjtux
Jul 5, 2011

BRRREADSTOOORRM!
Maybe just a Team Coco spot, his Max show is probably dead at this point.

Macdeo Lurjtux
Jul 5, 2011

BRRREADSTOOORRM!
I realize it can come off as self indulgent but I really like when Seth has his family on for holidays. Though even with them it's gets back to the interview rather than a conversation topic.

Macdeo Lurjtux
Jul 5, 2011

BRRREADSTOOORRM!
Does he have blanket clearance to use The Word or do they have to ask CC nicely whenever they want to use it?

Macdeo Lurjtux
Jul 5, 2011

BRRREADSTOOORRM!

Ceramics posted:

I really liked the original @midnight because it gave TV time to so many mostly unknown funny (and some not so funny) comedians. People who never would get exposure like that anywhere else.

Hope this iteration keeps with that.

One of my favorite bits was Drew Carey and Hardwick's old writing partner in the final showdown. Drew writes this big, long-winded joke with a quick punchline to good reaction. The other contestant reveals his answer as "$1 Bob" and steals the win.

That and Tom Lennon never winning his own show till almost the very end.

Macdeo Lurjtux
Jul 5, 2011

BRRREADSTOOORRM!
I wasn't paying attention so I hadn't heard they weren't continuing the Late Late Show after Corden left. I had figured they were grooming Amber to replace Seth but between that and Seth's going forced to go dark one or two months a year I wonder if they'll bother.

Macdeo Lurjtux
Jul 5, 2011

BRRREADSTOOORRM!

Djarum posted:

Two different networks. CBS is going to do a new version of @Midnight to replace Corden. The reason being internally is that they want to focus more on comedy than the talk show format can allow to try and get a younger audience. We’ll see if that gambit will pay off.

The grooming of Amber had always been rumored because Seth has been said to be the one Lorne wants to take over SNL from him, when/if he leaves. Amber taking over Late Night would cement someone both Lorne approves of and Seth helped create in the spot so they can keep control of the show/slot.

I mean I know they're two separate networks but these decisions don't get made in a void. My point was that networks seem to thinking of the 12:30 as less and less valuable, between using it for a game show or telling Seth to go dark for August because the network doesn't see value in new shows that month.

Macdeo Lurjtux
Jul 5, 2011

BRRREADSTOOORRM!

Djarum posted:

Yeah August is normally the time for extended breaks. 2-3 weeks in August, a week at Thanksgiving, two for Christmas and then a random week or two within the beginning of the year. Things go dark which gives time for set changes/improvements, staff changes as traditionally "pilot season", happens in the Spring with filming done in late Spring/Early Summer as production ends for ongoing series, find out if series are picked up leave and replacements are hired. Granted Fox has gone script-to-series which doesn't seem like it is working out as well as the traditional pilot model.

I don't think anyone has given up on 12:30. I think that there is going to be a lot of people trying new stuff in general in late night just to find what works. I think there is going to be a "come to Jesus" moment for all of the networks in terms of pandering to 50+ and have to find some way to engage younger audiences again all while trying to trim costs.

I was just going by what Seth said about it, he made it sound like it wasn't planned and both he and staff weren't thrilled about it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Macdeo Lurjtux
Jul 5, 2011

BRRREADSTOOORRM!
https://youtu.be/9RGl8UQdq9I
https://youtu.be/I176MJEibj4
https://youtu.be/hfqVm3_O2wA
https://youtu.be/5yVrybJVdMI
https://youtu.be/zmvaZA9abRA

Conan had Harrison Ford on his podcast and it's just a reminder of how good Conan's banter gets when both him and the guest are having a good time.