Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us $3,400 per month for bandwidth bills alone, and since we don't believe in shoving popup ads to our registered users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Alec Bald Snatch
Sep 12, 2012

by exmarx

pwn posted:

I felt bad for Leno. He fell apart last night. Seeing him honestly saying that he never went anywhere else because he only knew his family at Tonight was sobering. Dude never wanted to let go out of greed for money. He was terrified of being alone.

It's more he has no life outside his job and collecting cars.

I don't feel bad for him. He got to screw over two more talented and influential people plus all the people who work on their shows, make millions, and he'll be back on the air by year's end. Dude's made out pretty well all things considered.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Alec Bald Snatch
Sep 12, 2012

by exmarx

Yoshifan823 posted:

Conan, for whatever reason, has never gotten me like he has a lot of people. I love the classic Norm interview, but that's more Norm being Norm than anything. He doesn't do anything particularly interesting with the interviews, which is the reason to watch Craig, he doesn't have an awesome band like The Roots that allows Jimmy to do all of those awesome musical bits, and he doesn't really do much in the way of characters/impressions like Fallon either. He's also not super great during the monologues, so that pretty much leaves just the recorded bits/sketches, which definitely can be funny, but it just doesn't add up for me. He's a distant third, and might even be behind Kimmel in my mind as well.

His show lost a lot between the Tonight Show debacle and moving to TBS. It's a different kind of humor though, and wasn't a good fit for the Tonight Show, especially after two decades of Jay Leno. Late Night Conan was untouchable, and it's hard to overstate how influential the writing on that show was. Just the initial staff is like a dream team- Louis CK, Bob Odenkirk, Robert Smigel, Dino Stamotopolous, Tommy Blacha, Conan and Andy Richter.

Alec Bald Snatch
Sep 12, 2012

by exmarx

Nah, I'll admit whenever people say they genuinely like Fallon I keep thinking it's some giant joke I'm not in on.

Alec Bald Snatch
Sep 12, 2012

by exmarx

AA is for Quitters posted:

How much of the Leno/Conan shitfit was Leno and not Zucker though? I mean, Zucker ran NBC into the ground, and I will laugh my rear end off if he gets Leno for CNN and it tanks horribly. I mean, I've never been a huge fan of Leno, where outside of Headlines he never was anything better than squarely mediocre, but I always got the feeling that he would have been very happy just getting a cushy EP role on Tonight+a sitcom a la 30 Rock or something and giving up the Tonight show reins to Conan and it was more Zucker who refused to change.

It's easy to read too much into Zucker's personal dislike for Conan. Leno's always had strong management and Zucker's an idiot with a penchant for gimmickry, which is more likely the explanation for Leno's 10pm show.

Alec Bald Snatch
Sep 12, 2012

by exmarx

DJ Pauls Gimp Arm posted:

(am I the only one that really really misses Joel Goddard??)

Nope. Joel's goofy poo poo eating grin was the best.

Alec Bald Snatch
Sep 12, 2012

by exmarx

Calling it now he'll be the same as always and consistent throughout his entire run on the show.

Alec Bald Snatch
Sep 12, 2012

by exmarx

bobkatt013 posted:

So all three months?

Surely Fallon can live up to the standard set by Leno for the past 20 years.

Alec Bald Snatch
Sep 12, 2012

by exmarx

Robnoxious posted:

Conan transitioned under the watchful eye of Jeff Zucker, a proven idiot. Conan really didn't have a chance against the old to new guard stigmata that came along with it. Once that failed ship was blown the gently caress up a bit of relaxation occurred which helped ease Fallon into a smoother changeover. Having Lorne at his back made things much simpler as well.

Conan probably would've have done alright if the 10pm Leno stunt hadn't happened, which dragged down everything afterward.

Alec Bald Snatch
Sep 12, 2012

by exmarx

Mr. Funny Pants posted:

As someone in the older part of SAs membership, it's sad to me that many of the people here likely only know Letterman from his CBS incarnation.

I'm old enough to remember when Johnny Carson retired. For years before that, I didn't get why Carson was held up so high, why he was such an influence, and I think a lot of people will think the same of Letterman. I don't know if it's possible to convey how he impacted people in his best years. A lot of comedians cite him as being huge in their professional lives and I'll go one step further. Excepting the people I lived around of course, I think NBC David Letterman probably had more influence on my personality than any other figure (I was in high school when Dave was in his prime). That kind of voice just wasn't around then: the cynical smartass who was taking the piss out of the genre and even the medium while still knowing how to work brilliantly within it. Late Night with David Letterman did stuff that would be risky and weird today, so it was waaaay out there back then. Just the fact that he let Chris Elliot do his thing was amazing and proof of his dedication to pushing boundaries even if it didn't always click.

His old Late Night show had this element of anarchic stupidity which he lost when he moved to CBS. Conan and Craig have specific parts of it; the knowing idiocy in Conan's sketches which can only come from overeducated people focusing on the inane, and Craig's effortless improvisation and near disdain for structure or planning. But neither have the entirety of what made Dave so great.

e: one of my favorite old bits:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=c_D6PVE_N9c#t=1850s

Alec Bald Snatch fucked around with this message at Apr 3, 2014 around 23:29

Alec Bald Snatch
Sep 12, 2012

by exmarx

Hasn't he said in the past he'd likely leave whenever Letterman does?

Alec Bald Snatch
Sep 12, 2012

by exmarx

Irish Joe posted:

Well, a long time ago people actually watched The Daily Show for the jokes and not just to have an unfunny liberal blowhard reaffirm their political beliefs. Those who enjoyed the jokier Daily Show still fondly remember Kilborn's run.

Waitaminute, they had jokes on the Kilborn Daily?

Alec Bald Snatch
Sep 12, 2012

by exmarx

So is Conan that hard up for money they're just running movie previews during the first desk segment now?

Alec Bald Snatch
Sep 12, 2012

by exmarx

Steve Vader posted:

Craig told the internet to calm down with the speculation last night. "Even I don't care that much." Then one of the phone bits involved Chelsea Handler calling him to get measurements on the curtains she wants to replace. I'll miss Craig if he goes, but the fact that he seems to have some disdain for his format will make me feel less bad for him. I'd be curious to see what he would do next.

What I got from his autobiography is that he sorta fell into the job in the first place and isn't completely tied to being a talk show host the same way Letterman and Conan are.

Alec Bald Snatch
Sep 12, 2012

by exmarx

Tompkins has been around for ages as a standup and sketch performer.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Alec Bald Snatch
Sep 12, 2012

by exmarx

Dr Tran posted:

How accurate are those measurements if Craig spends a lot time in awkward pauses?

Also doesn't seem like time spent mumbling counts because that would probably put Fallon in line with the mean otherwise.