Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Still Fluxing
Feb 14, 2013

A vision. A picture in my head. A picture of this.
Let me preface this with saying I've never watched Seth Meyer's Late Night.

What's Seth Meyer's Late Night"hook"? Letterman revolutionized the Late Night format with his weird pre-taped bits and hijinks in the studio, Conan sort of picked up on that, without the cynicism, Jimmy Fallon had all the musical little bits he does, Ferguson is just charmingly bonkers. Does Meyer really just do the Leno thing and sits at his desk interviewing people?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Still Fluxing
Feb 14, 2013

hcreight posted:

His hook is he's one of Lorne Michaels' people, so NBC gave him the job because that's what they tend to do.

I haven't really watched his Late Night either, but there wasn't that much to him coming in. He never developed an identity on SNL beyond "competent Weekend Update anchor." Either he'll figure that out in the coming months or his show will crash and burn. Or NBC will carry his show as dead weight for lack of finding an audience for anything on their network besides The Voice and Football. His ratings look like they've been solid so far, though.

Man, that's a shame. The Tonight Show might be the big prize for comedians, but Late Night used to be where they flexed their creative muscles. Too bad it's been turned into The Tonight Show Lite.

Still Fluxing
Feb 14, 2013

Irish Joe posted:

I'll give you Conan, but Ferguson was on The Drew Carey Show for years and Kimmel had The Man Show in addition to Win Ben Stein's Money. No clue who Pete Holmes is or why he's part of this discussion.

Conan had worked on both SNL and The Simpsons prior to getting Late Night. It's true he did not have much experience as a performer, but he had something more important: Lorne Michael's support.

(Pete Holmes is the guy who's coming on after Conan on TBS.)

Still Fluxing
Feb 14, 2013

ufarn posted:

Anyone know why CC decided to set up a region wall for Colbert and Stewart two weeks or so ago for those of us outside NA?

Kinda bummed I missed out on the Bundy and Sterling coverage. :smith:

:confused: I'm in Sweden, and I can access it just fine.

Still Fluxing
Feb 14, 2013

DivisionPost posted:

What the gently caress is this I'm hearing about Norm MacDonald getting The Late Late Show? Is this just a thing he started on Twitter, or is there some article that says he's in the running?

For what it's worth, his name is pretty much the only one I *haven't* seen mentioned yet. I did find one article from this January where he said that he wasn't actually approached about it, but Letterman originally wanted him to host the Late Late Show, but CBS went with Craig Kilbourn instead. Going by that, it seems pretty unlikely that he'd get it now that Letterman and his production company are leaving.

Still Fluxing
Feb 14, 2013

Fallon's interview of Bradley Cooper last night was at once atrocious and amazing. Just two guys giggling for six straight minutes.

Still Fluxing
Feb 14, 2013

Letterman's Cue Card Guy Fired After Assault

Sounds like a laugh and a half to be on the Letterman staff.

Still Fluxing
Feb 14, 2013

Mister Kingdom posted:

At least Dave wasn't loving him.

It's kind of weird what a cult of personality Letterman's got going on. He doesn't gently caress his male staff, but then he doesn't have to. They're still fighting over who's more important to him. I've never met the man, but there must be something magnetic about it. poo poo like this never happens to the other Late Night hosts.

Still Fluxing
Feb 14, 2013

Aphrodite posted:

The cue card guy thinking he was important is a little weird.

Well, Dave used to involve him in skits and such, and he'd been around for over 20 years, so it's not like he was some nameless lackey. Still, plenty weird. I hope Letterman's retirement will bring some tell-all books about life on the Late Show in its wake.

Still Fluxing
Feb 14, 2013

Mister Kingdom posted:

I want to hear what Stephanie wrote in her diaries. I just can't imagine her and Dave together.

I don't want to imagine them together, but I don't think it's that hard to guess how it came about. He: witty, powerful, charismatic, sort of handsome in his tailored suits; She: young and pretty and probably in awe of him.

Not much potential for anything more than an affair, but that? -sure.

Still Fluxing
Feb 14, 2013

This is great.

Still Fluxing
Feb 14, 2013

God, it was so weird seeing Triumph the Comic Insult Dog on Fallon. I didn't even understand why it felt off until I realized that I wasn't watching Conan.

Still Fluxing
Feb 14, 2013

Mister Kingdom posted:

I have a feeling Triumph's new show will suck.

Yeop. I was really surprised that Jack McBrayer's attached to it. Surely he could do better than that?

Still Fluxing
Feb 14, 2013

I did, but that was one remote. Making a whole drat show out of that would be stretching the concept mighty thin. You are Fix-It Felix, have some dignity, man!

Still Fluxing
Feb 14, 2013

pwn posted:

I've been trying to figure out, why Wednesday? Letterman's last show will be May 20th. Seems so odd to end on Wednesday. Leno's last-last Tonight Show was on a Thursday, but that was a two-pronged approach - the Olympics started the next night, and NBC put Fallon's last Late Night in the post-late news spot, making it a de facto Tonight Show.

The only idea I could come up with was that maybe May 20th was exactly the length of time Leno was active, plus one day. It would be the perfect last laugh for Letterman. But when I crunched the numbers- vacations, illnesses, and switching time slots notwithstanding, just strictly "active from this date to this date"- that doesn't add up either. Leno was active from May 25 1992 to February 6 2014, 7927 days, or 21 years, 8 months, 2 weeks. Letterman began his competition with Leno on August 30 1993 and will conclude his career on May 20 2015, 7933 days, or 21 years, 8 months, 3 weeks. Matching Leno + 6 days doesn't have the same bite to it.

I can't find any significance to the end date. Is there going to be some other programming starting the 21st, like sports?

Doesn't Letterman pre-tape his Thursday and Friday shows at the beginning of the week since a few years back? That would explain the Wednesday cut-off.

Still Fluxing
Feb 14, 2013

I grew up watching The Late Show, and even though I fell out of habit of watching it years ago, I'll miss Dave. He was the Late Night crank of my heart. :unsmith:

Still Fluxing
Feb 14, 2013

Mister Kingdom posted:

:drat:

But you're right. I didn't make it past the second show.

I've never watched one of Corden's shows in full (mostly because, as a European, that would take more effort than to just turn on the TV), but it does appear that he was a good choice for CBS. He's certainly delivering them the perfect youtube friendly content they must have been after when they looked for Craig's replacement. It really makes me wonder what Colbert will bring to the table when he takes Dave's place this fall. Is he expected to be another viral hit-maker. or are they looking for something different with him?

Still Fluxing
Feb 14, 2013

Thank you so much for sharing! That's fascinating stuff.

Still Fluxing
Feb 14, 2013

My guess is that Seth only got that gig so that NBC (with Lorne Michael's blessing) could hold onto him until Lorne finally decides to retire, so that he'll be available to take over for him.

Still Fluxing
Feb 14, 2013

Jimmy Kimmel's currently antagonizing lets-play fans. :allears:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Z9oZplyzDKc

Still Fluxing
Feb 14, 2013

Jax-Guy1 posted:

Colbert as Gregory Peck in To Kill a Mockingbird talking about Tolkien, that was incredible.

He's at his best when he lets his geek flag fly.

Still Fluxing
Feb 14, 2013

Nostalgia4Butts posted:

he's really held back on it on CBS though, especially the LOTR stuff

He did tear into those scientists that named a spider after Smeagol. That was cool.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nweyH1uLcV8

Still Fluxing
Feb 14, 2013

Lutha Mahtin posted:

"guest shot"? in what moon land is that a phrase

also helen mirren just gave colbert a super big kiss, right on the kisser :eyepop:

As did Sally Field. :heysexy:

Still Fluxing
Feb 14, 2013

The Dave posted:

Holy poo poo, Letterman:

Whoa! Keep on keeping on, Dave!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Still Fluxing
Feb 14, 2013

Adam Driver always look like a deer in the headlights whenever he's forced to do publicity, and it's endearing as hell. :3: