Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us $3,400 per month for bandwidth bills alone, and since we don't believe in shoving popup ads to our registered users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
«2 »
X-O
Apr 28, 2002

Long Live The King!

Yoshifan823 posted:

gently caress Garth Brooks, Fallon knows how to go out in style, and that's Muppets.

Yeah, that ending with him and The Muppets singing and then him walking silently across the hall to the new studio where The Roots and Higgins were waiting for him was a hell of an ending.

He's gonna be so good on The Tonight Show.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

X-O
Apr 28, 2002

Long Live The King!

Same here. I hope he hosts for a long time coming. I was probably more willing to give Fallon a chance than a lot of people, but even I didn't expect that not only one day would I think he'd overtake Conan as my favorite, but he'd do it in less than three years. I've said it before, he's acclimated to the job faster than anyone could have ever guessed. And he's probably just going to get better the more he does it.

And with Seth, I've heard him talk about how he can't wait to experiment on Late Night, because in his mind that's where you do the crazy stuff. And one thing he said really made me happy. He said he wanted to bring back fake guests. I remember when Conan would do fake guests and it was awesome. It didn't happen a lot, but I'd love to see it return. Can't wait to see what exactly Seth has lined up for the show.

X-O
Apr 28, 2002

Long Live The King!

comes along bort posted:

Nah, I'll admit whenever people say they genuinely like Fallon I keep thinking it's some giant joke I'm not in on.

It's no joke. Fallon is awesome.

X-O
Apr 28, 2002

Long Live The King!

NiceGuy posted:

At what? Certainly not being funny.

Actually yes, at being funny.

X-O
Apr 28, 2002

Long Live The King!

The only thing Fallon did regarding that debacle was on the night of Conan's last show Jimmy and The Roots all went over to Conan's old Late Night studio and sang an Acapella version of "It's So Hard To Say Goodbye" at the end of his show. He did make a few jokes during it though. I remember he said that if he learned anything from Dave and Conan it was that hosting Late Night was the only guaranteed way of never getting The Tonight Show. Guess that turned out wrong.

X-O
Apr 28, 2002

Long Live The King!

bobkatt013 posted:

Or in Late Night terms its like having The Jay Leno Show as the lead in.

No, that's pretty much the opposite of what it is. Get it right.

X-O
Apr 28, 2002

Long Live The King!

Hahahaha

X-O
Apr 28, 2002

Long Live The King!

zakharov posted:

Haha did they seriously get de Niro just for that

That was his first guest on Late Night.

X-O
Apr 28, 2002

Long Live The King!

Well we are off to a hell of a good start.

X-O
Apr 28, 2002

Long Live The King!

Rageaholic Monkey posted:

This is quite a blowout for his first Tonight Show. I wonder if he'll be able to keep it up. If he can, that'll be impressive.

Fallon has always been able to get big guests for his shows. He's quite popular. He had bigger stars on Late Night than Conan had on The Tonight Show.

X-O
Apr 28, 2002

Long Live The King!

Yeah true. Obama went on Fallon's Late Night several times. I just hope he can maintain this abnormal show structure, really, as that would definitely keep things interesting.

I mean he's had Brad Pitt do comedy cameos and Tom Cruise break raw eggs on his head. I love Conan but Conan isn't going to get Tom Cruise breaking eggs on his head no matter what channel or timeslot he's in.

X-O
Apr 28, 2002

Long Live The King!

Yoshifan823 posted:

Will loving Jada backstage.

Alright.

I'm pretty sure that's a reference to that story a few years ago about them getting it on everywhere they go.

X-O
Apr 28, 2002

Long Live The King!

SHUPS 4 DETH posted:

That set is seriously gorgeous.

It's about as classic as classic gets.

X-O
Apr 28, 2002

Long Live The King!

zakharov posted:

They keep using an angle that reveals how tiny the set really is

Pretty much all late night show sets are tiny. Conan's old Late Night set was ridiculously small. His new set is probably the largest of anyone's now though.

X-O
Apr 28, 2002

Long Live The King!

Norm isn't even on Conan that much anymore, but whenever he is it's solid gold. Other notable frequent guests include Charlene Yi, Tig Notaro and Harrison Ford.

Harrison Ford on Conan is always amazing. But Harrison Ford on anyone's talk show is usually amazing. One time on Fallon he pierced Fallon's ear.

Paul Rudd is always a great guest and has a great recurring gag that never gets old. Tom Hanks and Conan are always great together as well. Will Ferrel too.

X-O
Apr 28, 2002

Long Live The King!

Seth's monologue is pretty much Weekend Update without a desk.

I really like his set though. It's different, but in a good way.

X-O
Apr 28, 2002

Long Live The King!

I liked his interplay with Fred and his personal story about the flat tire. Don't see that stuff too often.

X-O
Apr 28, 2002

Long Live The King!

DivisionPost posted:

He's already doing better than Fallon on his first Late Night, but I suspect he's gonna need a few months to settle in anyway.

Yeah. Way better than Fallon's first one.

That Venn Diagram skit felt like an old Conan style sketch.

EDIT: The Costas Vision graphic was amazing.

EDIT 2: Figure skating anouncers doing other sports was hilarious.

X-O fucked around with this message at Feb 25, 2014 around 06:03

X-O
Apr 28, 2002

Long Live The King!

Picking Amy as a first guest was a billion times smarter than loving Robert De Niro.

X-O
Apr 28, 2002

Long Live The King!

Oh my god, that fuckup on Conan was amazing. It just kept getting worse and worse and Jeff (his producer) had to tell him what to do and he just couldn't stop laughing about it

That's the kind of thing that only happens on Conan and it's always magic when it happens.

"You know what most talk show hosts do Andy?"

"Hold up a box right?"

X-O
Apr 28, 2002

Long Live The King!

Paul Rudd lip synching to Queen may be one the greatest things I've seen in my entire life. Tayne would have been proud.

X-O
Apr 28, 2002

Long Live The King!

Seth's monologue has been flat for two shows for sure. But I thought the comedy bits were pretty good, especially the audience one in the second episode. Both of the bits reminded me of Conan in the best way. And I think so far Seth has proven to be a really good interviewer. He's a bit more quick witted than most people that do this job and it shows.

X-O
Apr 28, 2002

Long Live The King!

Patrick Stewart and Ian McKellen on Seth Meyers was a tremendous interview tonight. So far Seth still has some monologue issues to work out but he's ahead of the game when it comes to interviews. Especially after only a week.

X-O
Apr 28, 2002

Long Live The King!

uublog posted:

FYI Martha Stewart and Li'l Jon designed dog bowls with Meyers and it was p. awesome (Martha's dog was also there terrorizing Seth's tiny dog)

Seth's Late Night has had its existence for the next few years justified just for having Martha Stewart and Lil John on the show together.

I think Lil John needs to become Seth's co-host.

X-O fucked around with this message at Mar 7, 2014 around 08:01

X-O
Apr 28, 2002

Long Live The King!

There's something about watching Lindsay Lohan and Jimmy Fallon play Water War that's incredibly charming to me. So far this Tonight Show has been more interesting to watch than Jay Leno's ever was. Conan's was a pretty interesting one too, but Fallon definitely feels like he's breathing new life into this show.

I love that there's been absolutely no changes from Late Night besides moving to a different studio. I knew he wouldn't have near as many problems as Conan did to readjusting for the different time slot.

X-O
Apr 28, 2002

Long Live The King!

That is a ballsy move that will most definitely not end well.

X-O
Apr 28, 2002

Long Live The King!

Goddamn Jimmy's Tonight Show is so much fun. That musical bit with Russell Crowe and Jimmy was awesome. Also that first joke from Joan Rivers was loving ballsy. She's funny as hell. Good to see her back on the show after being basically banned for so long.

X-O
Apr 28, 2002

Long Live The King!

Seriously. I'm actually watching it right now (had DVRed it earlier) and I'm watching Joan's part and she's loving hilarious. So many people give her poo poo, but man, she can still knock it out of the park way more than most people her age and even people younger than her.

Why exactly was she banned from the show? I'd never heard about that. Did her jokes go too far?

Johnny banned her after she took a talk show host role in a competing time slot. They were very good friends and he felt betrayed. I don't think they ever really even talked again after that. I guess maybe Jay just kept up the ban for some reason.

X-O
Apr 28, 2002

Long Live The King!

The entire Mike Birbiglia and James Van Der Beek thing on Late Night was also fantastic. But the best part was James talking about Last Call.

James: "I even did the Carson Daly show where you sit at the bar and talk to Carson that's on.... well nobody knows when it's on. But it's on sometime."
Seth: "Next. It's on next."

And James just gets this look on his face of complete embarassment. Then turns and points at the camera.

James: "Stay tuned for Carson Daly next!"
Seth: "The network is going to be really happy."
James: "It's really on next?"

X-O
Apr 28, 2002

Long Live The King!

Lip Sync Battle has to be my favorite recurring Fallon bit. Emma Stone doing "All I Do Is Win" tonight was amazing.

EDIT: Oh crap, it's already on Youtube too. They're fast.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bLBSoC_2IY8

X-O
Apr 28, 2002

Long Live The King!

Seth Meyers doesn't have a hook yet, but of course he's only been at it a few weeks now. The thing that's really noticeable is that he's already one of the best interviewers in the format. Which strangely enough is usually a weak spot in most talk show hosts. His comedy bits are very hit and miss at this point, the more he veers towards older Conan stuff the better they are. He doesn't really have a strong cast of supporting actors in the skits at this point and that hurts most of the character based ones. His monologue still needs a lot of work, but there's already a pretty good improvement there and he's a lot less stilted and has found a little bit of flow where earlier it just came off as Weekend Update done standing up. I do like that he seems to go a little outside of the norm for a few guests like authors, sports guys, and reporters and has fewer musical acts.

Let's not forget that Conan was largely terrible for the first couple of years he was on the air. Jimmy Fallon was bad for a couple weeks but got the hang of it faster than probably anyone ever will again. I don't think it's really fair to judge Seth for probably another six months and even then only barely. He's definitely not going to pick it up as fast as Jimmy and that's not so much a knock on him at all.

X-O fucked around with this message at Apr 29, 2014 around 08:25

X-O
Apr 28, 2002

Long Live The King!

Cool Cherry Cream posted:

Does Kimmel have a hook? I know he has his bits, but I don't know anything I'd describe as "Kimmelesque".

With Leno gone he's the rear end in a top hat host.

X-O
Apr 28, 2002

Long Live The King!

MikeJF posted:

But is he in the same league of interviewers as Craig. Who is by far the most entertaining interviewer to watch even if they manage to hit zero of the intended publicity points.

Well taste is obviously a big part of it. I personally don't care for Craig's comedy or his interviews. I agree he's very unique and good at what he does, but I don't like what he does.

X-O
Apr 28, 2002

Long Live The King!

How is Celebrity Survey still so loving great after all these years?

Hahaha, those are amazing.

X-O
Apr 28, 2002

Long Live The King!

The way that Nina Tassler has been talking lately there may not even be a Late Late Show as we know it after Craig leaves. It's getting stomped so bad right now by Late Night they may just try something totally different in the time slot. Fallon and Meyers are pretty much crushing everyone in the demo ratings. Meyers is even beating Letterman at this point.

X-O
Apr 28, 2002

Long Live The King!

OldSenileGuy posted:

Did Meyers show stop sucking at some point?

I don't know. It's been a month or two since I've really been able to catch any Late Night shows at all. Last I was watching the monologue was still shaky, the comedy bits still very hit and miss, and the interviews were still really good though.

X-O
Apr 28, 2002

Long Live The King!

Irish Joe posted:

I think Corden's fatness makes him seem more genuinely human and likeable than those other hosts. His fat face has a childlike quality to it. I don't know, I also like Kimmel, so maybe its just me.

It's almost always just you regardless of topic.

X-O
Apr 28, 2002

Long Live The King!

Terminally Bored posted:

Late Night is full of sub-par indie crap. Of the more recent ones the most hilariously bad one was Future Islands on Letterman:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1Ee4bfu_t3c
(the bass player has a dead-eye stare through the whole song)

I'm not sure why they even bother with the music acts in the age of youtube, does their target audience really watch late night talk shows?

Holy poo poo this performance is absolute garbage. Reminds of a really terrible act on Conan a year or so ago.

X-O
Apr 28, 2002

Long Live The King!

Brock Samson posted:

Write in candidate Steve Higgins.

Write in candidate wins this round hands down.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

X-O
Apr 28, 2002

Long Live The King!

They had no idea if they were even going to get in and they almost didn't. I think Conan only took a couple of people there with him in order to make it easier.

«2 »