Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

X-O
Apr 28, 2002

Long Live The King!

Yeah even if Fallon's not your cup of tea he's made the show relevant which is something it hasn't been in over 20 years except for the short time period when they took it away from Conan and his last few weeks were glorious. Fallon is pretty loving great at being a late night host and is making a good, fun, successful show. And by all accounts loving every second of it and not just running through the motions like Leno did for years. But I can understand that some people won't find him all that great because he's not their ideal host or they don't like his brand of comedy. It's the same reason I get why Conan was a failure of a host even though I loved his short run. It's why I get that people loved Craig Ferguson even if I never did care for him.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

X-O
Apr 28, 2002

Long Live The King!

I don't know how it happened. But I enjoyed the hell out of that show. It's fun, has a ton of energy, and it's different enough that it stands out from the bunch. I will definitely keep watching.

X-O
Apr 28, 2002

Long Live The King!

Well apparently the Lip Sync Battle from Fallon's Tonight Show has spun off into its own show now. The first episode featured Jimmy and The Rock. I haven't seen it but apparently The Rock did Staying Alive by the Bee Gees so my question is how are they even going to have another episode when it will no doubt be impossible to top that?

The Rock may be the greatest living man on the planet.

EDIT: I take back what I said about it having nowhere else to go, looks like the next episode has Common dressed up as Lionel Richie. I might have to track this show down.

X-O fucked around with this message at 07:26 on Apr 3, 2015

X-O
Apr 28, 2002

Long Live The King!

Mooseontheloose posted:

I like what I see on Youtube, so I guess no?

A lot of the show still hasn't totally clicked but it's getting better. The one part that's been strong since the beginning is that he's a good interviewer which puts him above most late night hosts immediately. He also does a good job of getting different kinds of late night guests than other shows do. Whether that's down to who he's interested in getting or whether it's a result of being in the same city with two other much bigger hosts that get the bigger guests is up for debate. But it makes for a nice variety.

X-O
Apr 28, 2002

Long Live The King!

I don't care if he insulted a nerd hero or not, the three shows I've seen of his were really fun. I don't have time to watch every night, just as I don't have time to watch Meyers every night, but I've enjoyed what I've seen. The only show I try to make time to watch nightly now is Fallon.

X-O
Apr 28, 2002

Long Live The King!

Well I'm definitely going to have to start watching that show.

X-O
Apr 28, 2002

Long Live The King!

raditts posted:

I didn't think the one with John Legend vs. Common would be that good, but then Common came out dressed as Lionel Richie and John Legend came out as MC Hammer and I was like "well guess I was wrong about that"

Also, "My name is Legend, his name is Common, who do you think is going to win this?" was a great line, too bad it didn't help him win.

I just watched that one. Watching John Legend do Slow Motion by Juvenile as his wife looks on in total horror was the best thing I've seen on TV in a good while.

X-O
Apr 28, 2002

Long Live The King!

What an idiot. His boss feels the same way too.

https://twitter.com/ConanOBrien/status/589867565398253570

X-O
Apr 28, 2002

Long Live The King!

I take it Dave is a huge Peyton Manning fan. All those other people there and he was flipping his poo poo over Peyton.

X-O
Apr 28, 2002

Long Live The King!

Dave at Taco Bell is the goddamn best. That and the Rupert Gee skits.

X-O
Apr 28, 2002

Long Live The King!

OldSenileGuy posted:

I just watched this bit on YouTube last week we don't need to waste valuable Final Show time on it :argh:

No we do because I didn't. :colbert:

X-O
Apr 28, 2002

Long Live The King!

Maxwell Lord posted:

This summer CBS just gives up

Oh right, Under The Dome is coming back.

X-O
Apr 28, 2002

Long Live The King!

I don't care for Leno at all, but I pretty much agree with the entirety of that quote. I've never seen the bit in question but it doesn't really sound funny at all just kind of lovely.

X-O
Apr 28, 2002

Long Live The King!

Irish Joe posted:

Bleep bloop I don't understand the humor of practical jokes. I am an autism robot. Bleep bloop.

You're projecting way too hard.

X-O
Apr 28, 2002

Long Live The King!

Seth's only real strength is his writing and his interviewing. If he has a guest you're interested in you'll have a good time watching those segments. As of right now he's best interviewer in late night, we'll see how Colbert does when he's not playing a goofy character soon enough.

X-O
Apr 28, 2002

Long Live The King!

That bit was dumb and way too long.

X-O
Apr 28, 2002

Long Live The King!

MikeJF posted:

I get the sense that saw the the Fallon/Roots thing and have been really trying to duplicate and one-up it but Batiste just can't pull it off. He's just so flat.

As good a musician as Batiste is the truth is that he and his melodica can't really hold a candle to The Roots in terms of entertainment.

X-O
Apr 28, 2002

Long Live The King!

Steve Vader posted:

Wouldn't happen to be available on Roku, would it?

Their site looks like it was made in 2004 so I doubt they're up on all the hip new streaming platforms.

X-O
Apr 28, 2002

Long Live The King!

Leno absolutely sunk Conan without giving him a chance. But let's be real, Conan never would have hit Leno's numbers much less the numbers that Fallon is hitting. Conan just doesn't connect with as many people and to his credit wasn't willing to change his style enough to connect. Eventually the network would have forced him to change and then he'd just alienate his fans and still wouldn't connect with a larger audience. As big as a clusterfuck as it was at the time and lovely as the situation was I have to imagine everyone is right now at a better place than would have been if Conan had been kept. I think he's perfectly happy with the freedom he gets at TBS now and he never would have gotten a fraction of that in the 11:30 spot on NBC.

X-O
Apr 28, 2002

Long Live The King!

Nostalgia4Butts posted:

rip gary shandling

gonna pull out my larry sanders set and watch through it once more i think now

I'd watch some on HBO GO but no can't have that. gently caress you Mill Creek I know this is your doing.

X-O
Apr 28, 2002

Long Live The King!

That story was amazing. Prince must have really had a thing for ping pong, that was a part of the episode of New Girl he asked to be in as well.

X-O
Apr 28, 2002

Long Live The King!

I wish he'd go back to doing Serious Jibber Jabber again. Aside from the travel shows that's the best thing he's done in years.

X-O
Apr 28, 2002

Long Live The King!

piratepilates posted:

Well Charlie Rose has to die some day.

Well I hope not.

X-O
Apr 28, 2002

Long Live The King!

RIP Judge Wapner. His best case:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=F4yXkDHXgds

X-O
Apr 28, 2002

Long Live The King!

I posted this in Couch Chat, but it's worth a post here too. Today we lost the teller of the greatest story ever told on late night talk. RIP Jay Thomas.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zfygCxkQZeY

X-O
Apr 28, 2002

Long Live The King!

Somehow even when a lot of people are either at a loss or just repeating the same tired cliches, Conan always seems to be able to articulate the right thing for the moment.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rfxCy0wj4uw

X-O
Apr 28, 2002

Long Live The King!

If it’s a full archive of Conan I don’t really give a poo poo about 95% of the music. Just gimme those sweet weird rear end comedy bits.

X-O
Apr 28, 2002

Long Live The King!

The only thing that will certainly be missing that I’ll be bummed about is the Walker Texas Ranger Lever. But you can easily find all the best ones online anyway.

X-O
Apr 28, 2002

Long Live The King!

Timby posted:

Scrubs is a mess, too.

zakharov posted:

The Wonder Years got it the worst I think

Both have almost all the original music on their DVD releases.

Streaming Wonder Years though... might as well not even watch it.

X-O
Apr 28, 2002

Long Live The King!

pwn posted:

I hadn’t watched yet, and of course he had to horn in on their spot. It’s only their last time on the show.

Christ, he can be a dick, sometimes.

What a dumb post.

X-O
Apr 28, 2002

Long Live The King!

I have Stitcher Premium since I listen to a lot of Earwolf podcasts so I never hear any ads thankfully. I imagine Conan probably does the same amount every other podcast does but those are 90-120 minute shows usually so I bet it feels like more since his show is shorter.

X-O
Apr 28, 2002

Long Live The King!

Apparently copyright issues are holding up the release of the full archive, but all the Conan Remotes are going up in a few days.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8-Y9wBqEJPI

X-O
Apr 28, 2002

Long Live The King!

I think the new format will allow him to do more travel remote specials, not so much remotes for the show itself.

X-O
Apr 28, 2002

Long Live The King!

Conan also has a Surprise Guest listed for tonight.

https://teamcoco.com/schedule

So does Corden.

Rumor is that it's Will Ferrell

X-O fucked around with this message at 14:21 on Aug 8, 2019

X-O
Apr 28, 2002

Long Live The King!

wa27 posted:

Has an in-character late night guest ever not been embarrassing? I mean except Crispin Glover.

John Mulaney and Nick Kroll were great in character together on Conan both as exaggerated versions of themselves as their characters from Oh Hello!

X-O
Apr 28, 2002

Long Live The King!

That IT guy had to be Pierre Bernard. I miss his Recliner of Rage.

X-O
Apr 28, 2002

Long Live The King!

If you have time and haven't seen it I recommend watching JB Smoove's full interview on Conan from this week. I love how serious he is about his nonsense stories.

X-O
Apr 28, 2002

Long Live The King!

The Baby Geniuses video is not nearly as good so it's good he stuck with Mac and Me.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Envx2Vju0-8&t=77s

X-O
Apr 28, 2002

Long Live The King!

Rageaholic posted:

Yeah, same. It'll be bittersweet for sure.

Satellite Channels was my favorite Conan bit because even when it bombed it was hilarious. My other two favorites were Brian Stack specials: Artie Kendall and Hannigan. Hannigan in particular was so good because of how fast an joke packed it was in addition to being super weird.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

X-O
Apr 28, 2002

Long Live The King!

Will never misses on Conan.