Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

My Q-Face
Jul 8, 2002

A dumb racist who need to kill themselves

Djarum posted:

Conan was the last person who had the ability to be weird on TV.

:colbert: Craig Ferguson.

Yoshifan823 posted:

The late night host who was that for me was Craig Ferguson, but unlike those guys, who got to live their careers out on late night TV, Craig got pushed off to make room for that dumb Brit git.

For whatever reason, I'm very unattached to the early nineties as a pop cultural era, so grunge, Simpsons, Conan, all do nothing for me. Craig was something I just found one day and he had a weird horse and amazing interviews and a robot sidekick, and I'm a little jealous that y'all get/got to watch their guy carve a niche while mine is hosting a game show and starring in failed pilots.

I came of age in the early Conan era and I do have a fondness for early Simpsons, Grunge and Conan, but I have to say yeah, this is how I felt about Craigy Ferg right up to the last show. Conan lost a lot when he moved to the Tonight Show (Although the first week or two was fantastic) and I'm not entirely convinced he got it back when he moved to TBS. I mean, he's still good, and now he's the best of the ones who are still on TV, but there was a je ne sais quoi when he was at 12:30 and in New York.

Craig was the one guy just going out there, doing his own original thing and being the anarchist of late night. Add to that the fact that he was the only late night host to not get involved in the Conan/Leno thing just made him that much more of a class act. I'd much rather have seen him take over for Dave (Though I doubt he would have fit into 11:30). I found the final episode of Craig much more depressing and emotional than the final episode of Colbert, even knowing it was taped days beforehand and they were very vocal about how much of a poo poo they didn't give. His countdown of guests during the last few weeks was awesome.

But I thought his departure was 100% voluntary? I know there were rumors about him not sticking around because he didn't get tagged to replace Dave, but Craig kept saying again and again that he wanted to go out before he got stale. I'm not so sure that was all television-politics handwaving, because I saw some stand-up he did just two or three years ago where he was pretty outright disdainful of television and acting and the whole celebrity thing.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU