Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us $3,400 per month for bandwidth bills alone, and since we don't believe in shoving popup ads to our registered users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
«3 »
Robnoxious
Feb 17, 2004

Soooooo, Leno goes to CNBC or E! or SYFY or USA or whatever property is owned by Kabletown? Or does FOX just do it and get into the game?

Also, I greatly approve of the OP having a lone Craigy gif with the pantomime horse and nothing else.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Robnoxious
Feb 17, 2004

Paradox Personified posted:

What, Craig? I can't loving lose Craig and Conan, they're all I have god loving dammit. Jesus tittyfucking christ.
As for Craig bolting when Dave hangs it up that was the last thing Craig has said on record to that topic. It doesn't mean if CBS were to drop a dump truck load of money at his feet he'd still walk away but there's really nothing saying that CBS would even entertain that idea in the first place. The cheapness of Craig's show adds more to it's charm anyways. I'm likely not alone in thinking Craig has no business in an earlier timeslot. Keep Craig and his little playhouse holed up in the rafters at CBS Television City in Hollywood and let him keep doing his own thing.

Robnoxious
Feb 17, 2004

DominoDancing posted:

I honestly have no idea how Meyers is going to turn out. But let's not forget that we underestimated an SNL alumni in this position before.
Yeah, but The Chevy Chase Show panned out exactly how we thought it would.

Robnoxious
Feb 17, 2004

Yoshifan823 posted:

And just in case we've forgotten who the real king of late night is, Craig Ferguson just got Gary Oldman to dance with a fake horse.
It's not fake, it's panto

Robnoxious
Feb 17, 2004

InfiniteZero posted:

The World's Most Dangerous Band would like to have a word with you.
But they occasionally have horns.
I know it doesn't count for brass but David Sandborn would come in with his alto sax on Fridays for years.

Robnoxious
Feb 17, 2004

I dunno why I'm giving Seth Meyers a chance when over on Channel 2 I can watch a pantomime horse and a gay skeleton robot banter back and forth.

In other words... rear end Möde!.

Fred Armisen has been funny since next to never.

Robnoxious
Feb 17, 2004

Chand0X posted:

I do wonder if Conan had to change things to try and keep Leno's crowd, while years it's now about the younger demographic so Fallon is given more freedom to keep things the same. Also, having Lorne Michaels overseeing it probably helped too.
Conan transitioned under the watchful eye of Jeff Zucker, a proven idiot. Conan really didn't have a chance against the old to new guard stigmata that came along with it. Once that failed ship was blown the gently caress up a bit of relaxation occurred which helped ease Fallon into a smoother changeover. Having Lorne at his back made things much simpler as well.

Now Zucker is screwing up CNN... and the world continues to spin.

Robnoxious
Feb 17, 2004

It doesn't matter much to me, cause Kristen Bell always goes to CraigyFerg dead last in the media slogfest and they very rarely talk shop once she gets there anyways.
I'd like to see NBC flex their muscle with her.
She'll tell 'em to gently caress right off.

Robnoxious
Feb 17, 2004

Gonz posted:

Has NBC even had any muscle to flex in the television industry in the last decade? They're consistantly dead last in every single ratings demographic, except for when Leno was pulling in strong numbers for them.
Sunday Night Football (and Olympics) are their cash cow that keeps them in the money demo. They aren't always dead last but the bottom falls out when the NFL season ends. Now that they are two years removed from the next Olympics in Rio they don't have as much flex as they did before the Winter Olympics. Also, CBS is in the mix with Thursday Night Football though those games are traditionally dog matchups.

It really depends on how much of dicks they want to be now that they have Kabletown and the blow back upon cable is getting stronger than a dull rumble. Prolly not enough to be a concern but if it swells they could have a big problem upon their hands.

Robnoxious
Feb 17, 2004

This could be a thing...

http://www.broadwayworld.com/videoe...hp?colid=714869

I can't wait for CraigyFerg and crew to invade TPIR!
Hell, even Shadoe Stevens will appear on camera which I don't think he's regularly done since he was on Dave's World in the 90's.

Robnoxious
Feb 17, 2004

MisterZimbu posted:

Given that Drew Carey and Craig Ferguson are switching shows for April Fools', I should probably DVR Price is Right tomorrow.
The better half of the switch is premiering tomorrow morning. Only the 4th host to ever hold the TPIR (daytime) position in 40+ years.

Robnoxious
Feb 17, 2004

Catching the tail end of The Late Show and Nick Cannon is on... he looks and sound like loving tool.

Robnoxious
Feb 17, 2004

SHUPS 4 DETH posted:

Drew Carey is terrible at delivery and has no business being near a monologue. If he didn't have LLS's writers he would have died completely.
To be fair, Drew said he was going to ad lib his monologue. I thought he did pretty good and he seems to have grown into his thinner self to the point where he look healthy.

I was entertained. I was more surprised (and saddened) to learn that Carl Reiner is 92. He won't be around much longer and then we'll have to deal with Meathead.

Robnoxious
Feb 17, 2004

Irish Joe posted:

Bill Cullen
Bob Barker
Drew Carey
Ricky Lake
Craig Ferguson

Daytime host only. Ricky Lake, Tom Kennedy et. al. would fall under the syndicated version.

Robnoxious
Feb 17, 2004

Craig is currently shopping a game called "Celebrity Name Game" of which he will host if it is picked up. I'm not sure if it's network fare or if he's seeking a syndication pickup but his little stunt hosting TPIR was a free screen test for potential buyers to show that this CraigyFerg guy has charisma and charm to emcee a game show.

I like how genuinely excited and amazed Craig was for the TPIR contestants when they were doing well in their pricing games (especially the woman who made a really good run at the Lucky Seven game). He sometimes seemed overwhelmed by the pure high energy TPIR contestants bring to the table, which to be fair they are always over-caffeinated hyperactive nutballs. If Disneyland is "The Happiest Place on Earth" then Studio 33 at Television City, Hollywood is a very close second.

Drew did pretty good hosting TLLS. The biggest problem Drew has is he tends to laugh at his own jokes. He's kind of always done this so it's a habit that's pretty hardwired and next to impossible to break. Also, I agree that George Grey was a non-entity as a late night sidekick and the TPIR models didn't really have much to do either.

Drew's interview with Carl Reiner made me sad because while he still seemed pretty sharp, Carl is age 92 and won't be with us for too much longer and then we'll be stuck with only Meathead in the Reiner lineage.

Robnoxious
Feb 17, 2004

Noooooo Dave, say it ain't so.

Now CraigyFreg might walk in a year
It's not time yet for Secretariat to go out to pasture.

Robnoxious
Feb 17, 2004

Welp, here we go...

Seems there's a an out clause in CraigyFerg's contract.
The Late Show is his if he wants it.

http://nypost.com/2014/04/04/craig-...ns-empty-chair/

I dunno how to feel about this. I mean good for Craig and all but like many of you I feel his show runs because it's mostly unstructured and loose flying. The brass certainly will get in the way in the earlier slot and I fear that will hamper Craig's creativity.

Although if they don't, think of the possibilities Craig could do with a huge budget.

Robnoxious
Feb 17, 2004

Craptacular! posted:

The Magnet Suit, with cameo appearance by young(ish) Biff Henderson.

I'll see your magnet suit and raise you Marlon Brando.

Robnoxious
Feb 17, 2004

Craig shouldn't be sad... he just made a cool 5mil.

Robnoxious
Feb 17, 2004

Worldwide Pants Production leaving The Late Late Show when Dave retires is probably the real meat of the story and why CBS might fold up Craig's show and look elsewhere for a host.

All these years, CBS has been buying both Dave and Craig's show to air on their network. With Dave's Worldwide Pants out of the picture CBS would have absolute production control as well. It's cheaper for them to go that route and also gain creative control. Whether it's successful or not is to be determined but I'm positive that is a huge part of the bigger story.

Maybe Craig's days are numbered. His ratings really aren't very different now than they have been but I do believe Seth Meyers is beating Craig regularly in the demographic that counts most to advertisers.

Here we go again, I guess.

Robnoxious
Feb 17, 2004

Chand0X posted:

If Craig stuck around and CBS had full production control I assume they would roll in and make drastic changes. I'd imagine they would try to mainstream it and get rid of anything that makes Craig's show unique.

Lumberjack Bonanza posted:

Craig would not stick around unless he was guaranteed some level of creative control that he could agree to. Otherwise, what's the point? He loves doing the show because he gets to be weird and have fun.

Yep yep and YEP! I think we're coming to the reason Craig has always said he's hanging it up when Dave bolts. Dave allowed Craig to run his little playhouse however he wanted to for years with little to no meddling involvement.

Granted, CBS could have passed on buying Craig's show but that in turn would probably piss Dave off a little bit so they rolled with it just to keep the gap-toothed bastard lining the CBSs coffers with dolla bills.

My bold prediction: Craig and the robot and the pantomime horse will be trotting out off into the sunset in the not too distance future

Robnoxious
Feb 17, 2004

Mr. Funny Pants posted:

Just watched Stewart, he couldn't have seemed more genuinely happy that Colbert got the job.
I think Jon has known for a very long time that Colbert has immense talent (far more than his) and was always destined for bigger and greater things. Jon has been one of Colbert's biggest cheerleaders. He hired the guy for a reason and takes delight in seeing how it's paying off.

Robnoxious
Feb 17, 2004

**sigh** How quickly people forget 5 questions... which turned into YAMBO.

Craig Kilborn was funny at one time but he got too full of himself and decided to make that jump into a little thing called career obscurity. Kilby played his cards wrong but what he did on his run of The Daily Show wasn't absent of any comedic merit.

Jon Stewart is a liberal blowhard but he's really really good at it. **checks tie collar and makes a Carsonesque "whoa"**

Robnoxious
Feb 17, 2004

Dr Tran posted:

Craig got a new warm up comedian. I'll have to make multiple visits to see if he runs the same jokes into the ground like the last guy.
Chunky B has been gone for awhile. But one constant is the Iota guy dishing out the "No cell phones are allowed in the studio and if you have a pager... gently caress!"

Robnoxious
Feb 17, 2004

Craig is turning his "impending" demise into a bit and it's glorious.

The former 5-ding for room service is turning into random call-ins from prospective heirs to the throne.

Craig gives zero fucks and it's delightful.

Robnoxious
Feb 17, 2004

Gonna shoot for Craig's last show taping.

I got Craig's last show in the old studio and Craig's first show in the new studio (I'm in the sped-up montage from old digs to new digs ... well at least my male pattern balding head is)

I think I will be attending many CraigyFerg shows at CBS Television City in Hollywood over this Summer.

The best saving grace is Chelsea Handler is a non-starter for Craig's seat. Thank God.

Robnoxious
Feb 17, 2004

Fenris13 posted:

This is incorrect because it conflicts with the ancient prophecy that says the next host will be Aisha Tyler.
I can see this happening. It ticks all of the boxes and then some.

Chelsa Handler is a non-starter for me because I can envision her becoming the next loud mouth not unlike another Ann Coulter.
Different political angle but same viral results and disdain.

Robnoxious
Feb 17, 2004

BOX OFFICE POISON!

Robnoxious
Feb 17, 2004

Normy hijacked/trolled that classic segment with the skills of matador.

That's the Conan I loved and reflect fondly upon.

Conan lost complete control of his show that night and refused to reel it in because it was GOLD.

Robnoxious
Feb 17, 2004

Arsenio was so far removed by the passage of time to jump back into the late night game.

It wasn't a very good show anyways.

I did like when the Whose Line Is It Anyways? guys showed up and they did games with Arsenio. I caught it by complete accident and enjoyed it but otherwise I never made much effort to watch the show.

Syndicated reruns have more earning potential than a first run Arsenio show did... that's broadcasting in tyool 2014 I'm afraid.

Robnoxious
Feb 17, 2004

Dr Tran posted:

How accurate are those measurements if Craig spends a lot time in awkward pauses?
Craig talking to a gay robotic appliance or a pantomime horse doesn't count as a conversation I guess. :/

Robnoxious
Feb 17, 2004

Frostwerks posted:

Looks like Captain Nemo.
Thinking more Helen Mirren.

Or Angela Lansbury on a good day.

Do we have a picture of Angela Lansbury?

Robnoxious
Feb 17, 2004

Pinwiz11 posted:

I'll watch, but it will be sad to not have Geoff there since I assume he wouldn't make the leap.

Deadline.com posted:

Craig Ferguson is in advance talks with Tribune Media about doing a half-hour first-run comedy/talk show that would air in prime access, sources say. The CBS Late Late Show host plans to take his Robot Skeleton sidekick with him — and Geoff Peterson, who does the robot voice. Those who’ve been watching Ferguson’s show recently have heard him make “whither I goest, you go” assurances to Robot Skeleton. Ferguson’s also also expected to take Secretariat, his pantomime horse — and his longtime showrunner Michael Naidus.

Sounds good to me but going up against Wheel of Fortune and/or Jeopardy is a real tall order. Certainly Craig is more watchable than that Dish Nation dreck.

Robnoxious
Feb 17, 2004

wa27 posted:

I've got a pretty good cable package but I didn't get Arsineo when he was on, and it sounds like this is the same networks? Hopefully I'll at least be able to watch it.
Yeah Tribune owned stations only cover 40% of the US market, but has a presence in all of the top tv markets; WPIX-New York, KTLA-Los Angeles, WGN-Chicago to name a few. Here in Los Angeles I know exactly where Craig's new talk show AND gameshow would go. They'd put it in the 7:00-8:00pm block which would finally dethrone Two And Half Men that has been running there perpetually for what seems like a decade or more.

Robnoxious
Feb 17, 2004

The Nastier Nate posted:

So Craig plans to take his sidekicks, and presumably his crew to host a show similar to the one he has now in the same studio, which begs the question - Why is he leaving in the first place?
I don't think he had a choice? Once Worldwide Pants dissolves as a production arm for The Late Late Show when Dave bolts and CBS passed over Craig for Late Night (thank God) he isn't contractually obligated to do poo poo anymore for CBS.

Craig's contract times out at exactly the same time as Dave rides into the sunset. This is hardly coincidence.

It's also one of the reasons Craig is allowed to take the gay robot skeleton and the pantomime horse with zero fallout. CBS has no intellectual property at stake since they didn't own anything to begin with. Dave's Worldwide Pants has the IP of Craig's show under their production. CBS just aired what was brought to them.

This is much different than when Dave (and Conan) were with NBC and the Peacock held both of their collective bits as intellectual property after they left since NBC produced both shows.

Craig leaving CBS is bittersweet but it's the cleanest break imaginable in comparison to the Dave/Jay/Conan thing.

Robnoxious fucked around with this message at Aug 18, 2014 around 05:52

Robnoxious
Feb 17, 2004

MikeJF posted:

I think his question was more why is Craig choosing to leave. It wouldn't have been difficult to sort things out for him to stay on as Late Late Show host.
Craig didn't choose to leave, it was always in the deck of cards. Craig has always said he's leaving The Late Late Show when Dave retires. That statement goes hand in hand with Dave's Worldwide Pants ending it's relationship with CBS when Letterman retires since Dave's production house owns both shows.

Why do you think Craig is shopping a game show due to be premiered in a few weeks? Craig knew what was going down as much as a year ago or more. Waaaay before we did and has made the appropriate jumps into other avenues in anticipation.

Tribune showing interest in a Craig talkshow is just gravy since they have all ready green lit his gameshow. Maybe Tribune sees something they like and want to lock CraigyFerg down before someone else does.

Robnoxious fucked around with this message at Aug 18, 2014 around 06:15

Robnoxious
Feb 17, 2004

CraigyFerg has an EP credit on Celebrity Name Game so you know he's putting everything he has into it. I saw the premiere last night it's not terrible but if you aren't up on pop culture you are going to have a bad time.

I only caught the end bonus round where the contestants had to give the celebrity guests clues to the celebrity names on the big board. They mix it between words and pictures so if you didn't recognize Zack Galifianakis you would have a hard time giving out a clue.

While the contestants were trying to run the board in their short time frame Craig was pacing around in the background like he does when he brings audience members on stage at LLS. Of course, the first episode the contestants won the $20K prize and Craig lost his poo poo with excitement like he did when he hosted TPIR earlier this year.

I dunno if it has staying power like Wheel of Fortune, Jeopardy and Family Fued which it would be up against but I'm all for a resurgence of game shows. It's a much needed change from the pablum of entertainment/gossip news shows, court shows and the umpteenth rerun of Two and Half Goddamned Men.

Robnoxious fucked around with this message at Sep 23, 2014 around 22:52

Robnoxious
Feb 17, 2004

wa27 posted:

Is Craig still planning on doing a half hour talk show on UPN or whatever that weird channel was?
Tribune owned stations (KTLA/WGN/WPIX among many more) are seriously considering a half hour talk show for Craig to bookend the last half of the hour Celebrity Name Game leaves open. Nothing has been inked yet though.

Robnoxious
Feb 17, 2004

Do you have last show tix, Chand0X?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Robnoxious
Feb 17, 2004

iastudent posted:

Special performance on Letterman tonight.
I gotta say, for the years Dave has been on the air, his musical guests have always run the complete gamut of genres.

That was definitely a thing that I saw on television.

«3 »