Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

InfiniteZero
Sep 11, 2004

PINK GUITAR FIRE ROBOT

College Slice

Quest For Glory II posted:

How can you have a late night band without horn players?? It simply isn't done. It's in the rule book.

The World's Most Dangerous Band would like to have a word with you.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

InfiniteZero
Sep 11, 2004

PINK GUITAR FIRE ROBOT

College Slice

myron cope posted:

It's crazy to me how great of a band The Roots is.

Have you ever seen them live? They are incredible and anybody who is even a casual fan needs to check out at least one of their shows. YouTube videos (or even pro videos) don't really do the shows justice either.

InfiniteZero
Sep 11, 2004

PINK GUITAR FIRE ROBOT

College Slice

bobkatt013 posted:

Yeah I have seen them live, and they were one of the best shows of I have ever seen.

They made me feel like I shouldn't even bother trying to play my own instruments any more because I could only bring shame compared to how well The Roots could be playing them instead.

This is sort of a joke and sort of not.

Also Tariq/Black Thought live and Tariq during the Fallon show are considerably different creatures.

InfiniteZero
Sep 11, 2004

PINK GUITAR FIRE ROBOT

College Slice

Brock Samson posted:

Roger Corman is still alive and making movies? Jesus Christ.

Yeah, I saw him a couple of years ago. He still has the whole speech on how to make a film on the cheap down cold. He also still has money to finance films so he mostly does that and then gives some advice to the director and maybe does a set visit at some point. He'll probably die on the set of "Invasion of the Topless Shark Women" just the way he wants to, and his funeral will come in under budget because they will reuse existing materials for it.

InfiniteZero
Sep 11, 2004

PINK GUITAR FIRE ROBOT

College Slice

MikeJF posted:

Just fill it with standup comedians to go with celebrities and give us the British Panel Game Show genre.

Comedy Channel has tried this several times and mostly failed, most recently with @midnight (which I'm actually OK with, outside of the host).

InfiniteZero
Sep 11, 2004

PINK GUITAR FIRE ROBOT

College Slice

DivisionPost posted:

Conan's first couple of years were rough. Jimmy Fallon's first run might as well have been "Late Night With Jimmy's Flopsweat." I've got no doubt that Corden's going to suck out of the gate, but that in no way precludes a great show down the line. This is just mean and needlessly hurtful.

I think that's actually part of the process though. You're put through the wringer. Conan was constantly about to be fired. Fallon was a punchline.

The whole process of trial by fire was hilariously played up in "Louie".

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gwUmXT3RJCM

InfiniteZero
Sep 11, 2004

PINK GUITAR FIRE ROBOT

College Slice

DivisionPost posted:

Leno got the ratings. Dave got the legacy.

Leno got ratings but contributed nothing. He's the Nickelback of late night.

InfiniteZero
Sep 11, 2004

PINK GUITAR FIRE ROBOT

College Slice

You forgot to include photos of his wooden cut-outs of Liza Minelli and Jerry Lewis that he interviews there.

InfiniteZero
Sep 11, 2004

PINK GUITAR FIRE ROBOT

College Slice

EngineerJoe posted:

I'm surprised to see all the red white and blue. I would think he would want to distance himself from his old character.

Yeah that looks horrible to me. I know I wasn't the target audience, but as a Canadian, I was rarely interested in Colbert because his show was mostly about some senator from Arkansas or whatever. That set looks like a continuation of that tradition. Great for US fans I guess though.

InfiniteZero
Sep 11, 2004

PINK GUITAR FIRE ROBOT

College Slice

Lutha Mahtin posted:

is it a rule that every @midnight episode has 1 or 2 good guests and 1 absolute shitlord

With Chris Hardwick as host, there will always be 1 absolute shitlord.

InfiniteZero
Sep 11, 2004

PINK GUITAR FIRE ROBOT

College Slice
Jean Batiste is the guy that your dorky band teacher is really excited about and nobody else. Also Colbert's show is transparently for sale (wtf was that Tim Cook thing except for an ad?). I'll check back in a few months from now, but this show is just sad for me to watch right now. I'm sure there's a huge market for this kind of thing, but I'm definitely not it.

One thing though: I actually liked the silly video effects they used for The Dead Weather.

InfiniteZero
Sep 11, 2004

PINK GUITAR FIRE ROBOT

College Slice

Fateo McMurray posted:

:ssh: most talk show guests are advertising something

Absolutely true, but it's not like they bring on Harvey Weinstein to talk about new movies though.

InfiniteZero
Sep 11, 2004

PINK GUITAR FIRE ROBOT

College Slice

Michael Scott posted:

Is there any word on whether Apple actually paid for that segment or not? I'm guessing no, but it was still weird as gently caress. What the hell, CBS?

CBS cares.

- caring brought to you by Apple (tm)

InfiniteZero
Sep 11, 2004

PINK GUITAR FIRE ROBOT

College Slice

Diabolik900 posted:

So would it be better if it was one of the engineers who actually built it rather than the CEO?

If the engineer actually had a personality, yes.

I understand the guests are all selling poo poo, but if the person doing the sales pitch obviously has no business being on the format otherwise, it comes across as extra corporate and creepy. Also I thought Colbert was supposed to be some sort of alternative voice instead of pitching softballs at a guy who runs a gigantic mega-corporation with a sketchy history but admittedly I'm not very familiar with Colbert in the first place so maybe I'm just mistaken there entirely.

InfiniteZero fucked around with this message at 22:05 on Sep 16, 2015

InfiniteZero
Sep 11, 2004

PINK GUITAR FIRE ROBOT

College Slice

Mister Kingdom posted:

I don't think I've ever seen a melodica or even a tuba in a late night band.

"Tuba Gooding Jr." (Damon Bryson) from The Roots has always been there with Fallon and does the foghorn sound effect all the time.

Technically he's playing a sousaphone, but whatever. He even has one that is jet black and at Roots live shows he often gets a solo and it's actually pretty awesome.

Deep Hurting posted:

You don't think that might be interesting?

Nope, not really. He's more about spreadsheets than cinema (which is important, but not something I need to hear about on late night TV).

InfiniteZero fucked around with this message at 04:30 on Sep 17, 2015

InfiniteZero
Sep 11, 2004

PINK GUITAR FIRE ROBOT

College Slice

Dexo posted:

He sings decent enough, but he shouldn't be singing when there are actual real rear end singers around to make him look foolish.

Yeah, there are actual singers who have sung with Eddie Vedder and ended up looking foolish. See for example Roger Waters doing "Comfortably Numb" with Eddie Vedder:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qNsxGSfK-lU

(check out the reaction of the band member standing behind Vedder when he starts singing for extra laughs)

InfiniteZero fucked around with this message at 17:38 on Sep 29, 2015

InfiniteZero
Sep 11, 2004

PINK GUITAR FIRE ROBOT

College Slice

Lutha Mahtin posted:

too bad we can't have colbert + the roots :v:

Questlove would probably pack up his drums the moment Colbert started doing a rockette dance, so that wouldn't work out too well.

InfiniteZero
Sep 11, 2004

PINK GUITAR FIRE ROBOT

College Slice

Youth Decay posted:

never expected Ghost on a late night TV show

Ghost should replace Jon Batiste and Stay Human as the house band.

InfiniteZero fucked around with this message at 18:54 on Nov 3, 2015

InfiniteZero
Sep 11, 2004

PINK GUITAR FIRE ROBOT

College Slice

DJ Pauls Gimp Arm posted:

Also...Anytime Corden brings his parent's on the show, I soon after feel like an rear end for smack talking him so much.

He was also well spoken and easy to like when he was on Marc Maron's podcast.

InfiniteZero
Sep 11, 2004

PINK GUITAR FIRE ROBOT

College Slice

The Dave posted:

Holy poo poo, Letterman:

This photo is more interesting and funny than most of late night TV since he left. :(

Also it's loving great to see a person who has recovered from major cardiac surgery out jogging like that.

InfiniteZero
Sep 11, 2004

PINK GUITAR FIRE ROBOT

College Slice

Ur Getting Fatter posted:

I wonder if Colbert would do better with a format closer to Samantha Bee's, where she almost exclusively focuses on politics/social commentary and doesn't really have guests or any of the traditional talk-show trappings.

This is a good idea. They could call it The Colbert Report.

But seriously: the future of late night is the YouTube stuff. I understand that he's got other obligations and doesn't need it yet, but the natural fit for a show would be Andy Samberg (assuming the other LI guys follow).

InfiniteZero
Sep 11, 2004

PINK GUITAR FIRE ROBOT

College Slice

Pander posted:

Colbert needs to have David Duchovny on at least once a month. They have good chemistry. It was great watching them crack each other up with the blanket party bit.

David Duchovny is really cool and makes any talk show better.

He also hosted the Craig/Corden spot before Craig started full time (when CBS was trying out a bunch of people):

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lTUAkn3cttQ

InfiniteZero
Sep 11, 2004

PINK GUITAR FIRE ROBOT

College Slice

Timby posted:

If this keeps up he should be ahead of Fallon in the key demo by mid-summer.

Not a huge factor, but I'm not sure if the borderline smooth jazz sound from Jon Batiste and Stay Human won't hurt a bit with that demo. That kind of jazz really says "Dad" to a lot of the younger demo.

Now, are they really tuning in and care about the house band? Probably not. Does it set a tone that might be off putting to some of that demo? Probably.

InfiniteZero
Sep 11, 2004

PINK GUITAR FIRE ROBOT

College Slice

The interview is as great as can be expected but HOLY loving poo poo THE ZOOMS.

InfiniteZero
Sep 11, 2004

PINK GUITAR FIRE ROBOT

College Slice

Steve Vader posted:

However, once this long national nightmare is over and we don't have to monitor the president 24-7 to make sure we all don't die, Fallon's brand of whimsy will likely make a come back. It remains to be seen if NBC wants to play the long game.

Agreed. The stakes of regular life have been raised beyond being able to appreciate somebody consciously trying to be irrelevant outside of the boundaries of his own show.

InfiniteZero
Sep 11, 2004

PINK GUITAR FIRE ROBOT

College Slice

Vegetable posted:

It seems to me like Netflix should really have a daily talk show and of course they should get Craig

If you've seen Ferguson on a recent comedy tour, he often explains that he has zero interest in doing another show and zero interest in working with Netflix on comedy specials or anything like that and that he's perfectly happy just doing live shows now.

This is both sad because it means catching Ferguson is hard to do but good because his whole "I'm sick of this bullshit" thing wasn't just a shtick and he's doing something about it and he's earned it.

InfiniteZero
Sep 11, 2004

PINK GUITAR FIRE ROBOT

College Slice
Fallon was a casualty of the 2016 election and likely won't recover. He tussled his way to the downfall of his late-night career and should have known that a guy like Colbert was ready to take over. I really have no sympathy for him but I am sad for The Roots who were the innocent bystanders of Fallon's moronic brand.

InfiniteZero
Sep 11, 2004

PINK GUITAR FIRE ROBOT

College Slice

pwn posted:

Programming note: Tonight’s musical guest on Fallon is Patty Smythe, not Patti Smith.

I wish Patty Smyth had taken the Van Halen job. She still sounded good the other night on Fallon.

Here's a really great recent cover of Patty's best song as a bonus:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=k6iO-hawJU8

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

InfiniteZero
Sep 11, 2004

PINK GUITAR FIRE ROBOT

College Slice

Nostalgia4Butts posted:

also not necessarily late night news but howard stern just reupped his contract

Is he sticking to a grueling schedule of about 4 shows a year, now from his couch at home?