Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Steve Vader
Apr 29, 2005

Everyone's Playing!

And Bruce Willis always does crazy things with Dave. Steve Martin often does too.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Steve Vader
Apr 29, 2005

Everyone's Playing!

I wonder if Jimmy is going to call Jerry over to the panel.

Also, Jerry did a Brian Regan impression for a moment.

Steve Vader
Apr 29, 2005

Everyone's Playing!

Yeah, he's much more comfortable than Fallon was when he started, but he's also pretty bland and basic so far. Which makes sense, being his first show and all, but certainly not exciting. Also, he hasn't mentioned Conan or Dave yet.

Also, "Celebrity Game Night" on NBC. Did they just take one of Fallon's bits and make a whole show out of it?

Steve Vader
Apr 29, 2005

Everyone's Playing!

I've loved Letterman since I was a kid, as his absurd sardonic humor helped form a lot of what I find funny, and even now, I like watching sometimes just to see that segment when he's first at the desk to see what he's going to crank about tonight.

I don't understand why people keep mentioning Stewart and Colbert - they are absolutely perfect at what they do now and what they do now is absolutely necessary and crucial and I don't want them to ever stop. They should not "move up" to do a gabfest.

I, too, would like a non-White Guy for a replacement, but also wouldn't mind if Craig moves up. The accepted wisdom is that he'd have to Tone Down for 11:30, but given the ever-fracturing niche market of late-night, maybe his weirdness would be a notable difference and its own unique hook for 11:30. I don't know how Craig would adjust to a Budget and Band, though. Not Giving A gently caress when there's less to complain about seems like it might not work as well.

Tina Fey would be interesting, but I'm not sure if it's likely.

Steve Vader
Apr 29, 2005

Everyone's Playing!

It's worth nothing that he's ALREADY on at 11:30.

As much as I'd hate to see Colbert go, because what he does is so great, I also have to imagine he doesn't want to have to play a blowhard version of himself for the rest of his career.

Steve Vader
Apr 29, 2005

Everyone's Playing!

Did anybody see Craig last night? Did he mention anything about Dave?

Steve Vader
Apr 29, 2005

Everyone's Playing!

Yeah, I'm gonna have to figure out a time to go see Craig live before his show ends and he's replaced with Jason Sudeikis.

Steve Vader
Apr 29, 2005

Everyone's Playing!

It's looking bad for Craig. Apparently Chelsea Handler tweeted some photo of a CBS employee handbook or something.

Geoff Peterson would probably just go to some CBS storage house, wouldn't he?

Steve Vader
Apr 29, 2005

Everyone's Playing!

Craig told the internet to calm down with the speculation last night. "Even I don't care that much." Then one of the phone bits involved Chelsea Handler calling him to get measurements on the curtains she wants to replace. I'll miss Craig if he goes, but the fact that he seems to have some disdain for his format will make me feel less bad for him. I'd be curious to see what he would do next.

Steve Vader
Apr 29, 2005

Everyone's Playing!

Yeah, and the fact that CBS apparently talked to Jon Oliver about replacing him means he might've known he was on the outs for quite some time.

Steve Vader
Apr 29, 2005

Everyone's Playing!

Hah. The daughter of a girl I went to high school with apparently got Photobombed on The Tonight Show tonight. That's fun.

What did Attel do? I'm sans cable, so my Conan is sporadic.

Steve Vader
Apr 29, 2005

Everyone's Playing!

Wait, what? Whose Line is back on? When and what channel?

Steve Vader
Apr 29, 2005

Everyone's Playing!

Steve Higgins is awesome. As are Andy Richter, Paul Shaffer and Geoff Peterson.

Steve Vader
Apr 29, 2005

Everyone's Playing!

Man, that's really sad that two of his staffers don't know who the second president was.

Steve Vader
Apr 29, 2005

Everyone's Playing!

The original Late Late Show was Tom Snyder, just him in a small room talking to somebody interesting and occasionally taking phone calls. They could go back to something along those lines. Which Ferguson would be GREAT at, but alas.

Steve Vader
Apr 29, 2005

Everyone's Playing!

Just got back from watching Craig tape two shows - tonight's show and his August 7th show. He did enough referencing between shows that it might be worth taping both shows and watching them at the same time to get the Full Effect.

I was right behind Lesbian Row on the far side, and I could stand up and look over the railing and watch the man behind Geoff Peterson be the man behind Geoff Peterson. I believe either tonight or August 7th may be the debut of The Nicolas Cage Fly, which might be the best fly. If it was August 7th, then it will probably also be tomorrow.

Also, Morena Baccarin is very attractive, and the actress from Hercules is stunning enough that Craig kind of forgot how to talk (should be tonight's show) and he made a point of talking to the studio audience between segments to marvel about how dumbfoundingly stunning/scary she is.

It was nice to hear the unbleeped cusswords.

Steve Vader
Apr 29, 2005

Everyone's Playing!

I kind of want somebody to photoshop Letterman into Groot and have him saying "I AM GORP," as per his interview with Chris Pratt last night.

Steve Vader
Apr 29, 2005

Everyone's Playing!

That would be sort of interesting if Leno becomes a recurring character on the show as a guy who always tries to kill Jimmy.

Steve Vader
Apr 29, 2005

Everyone's Playing!

Yes, that is weird, the idea that he will have to broaden his appeal seems like exactly why he wouldn't want Letterman's slot. Then again, if it is more of a Stephen Fry style, it could make sense.

Steve Vader
Apr 29, 2005

Everyone's Playing!

I just listened to Jimmy Walker on WTF from a while back, and I learned that he used to manage both Letterman and Leno. He also said that Carson never liked Leno and the only reason he ever got on the Tonight Show in the first place was because Letterman went to bat for him. Same reason Leno ever got the guest host gig.

Just another layer to Leno douchiness.

Steve Vader
Apr 29, 2005

Everyone's Playing!

bubblelubble posted:

Well maybe I will then, hmph!

No but seriously, am I the only one? I'm in Australia, so idk whether that's a weird thing or not - I feel like it is for some reason. He seems kinda dweebish.

Fallon was always considered kind of a boy-bandish-CUTE guy back in his SNL days, so you're probably not the only one.

Steve Vader
Apr 29, 2005

Everyone's Playing!

So, we've got rotating guest Late Late Show hosts until Corden takes over in March (which is like auditioning replacements for Corden if he flames out, and judging by how nervous he was with Craig this week, it could happen).

Then Letterman retires in May, but Colbert doesn't start until August, right? What happens in the meantime at 11:30 on CBS? 2.5 months of Letterman reruns seems odd. Maybe a Best-Of Letterman extravaganza? Other guest-hosts?

Steve Vader
Apr 29, 2005

Everyone's Playing!

"One more day until cat ladies everywhere start to weep openly."

Steve Vader
Apr 29, 2005

Everyone's Playing!

Craig Ferguson is just so goddamned cool.

That amazing haircut, just casually standing on his desk singing an awesome song (artist would be great to know, and hopefully there will be an mp3 version of this soon) which indicates he cares while looking entirely like he doesn't really. It's all "gently caress you, I'ma do what I want" and that's kind of how cool is supposed to look and feel.

I'll miss this show, but he obviously is done with it. I look forward to what he'll do next.

Steve Vader
Apr 29, 2005

Everyone's Playing!

Special shout-out to Mary McCormack moonwalking in high-heels while holding the snake mug.

Also, who is it in the field with the drums and the dancing girl?

Steve Vader
Apr 29, 2005

Everyone's Playing!

I liked Scotland week, too. And his conversation about Sandra Bullock's "area rug."

Steve Vader
Apr 29, 2005

Everyone's Playing!

Skunny Wundy posted:

one of the crazy things there is that he hadn't been doing the show for long at all, and he was already at that level.

Actually, according to his book, that was when he found his voice for the show, if I recall properly. I think it was Peter Lassally or somebody who came up to him after that and said 'more of that' in a kind of 'be who you are, make this your own' way. Before that, he was the 'cheeky monkey' guy, I think.

Steve Vader
Apr 29, 2005

Everyone's Playing!

I watched the Part 3 of Craig laughing and completely forgot about the hot CBS censor lady they had for a while.

Steve Vader
Apr 29, 2005

Everyone's Playing!

Robnoxious posted:

The Censorship Lady always felt shoehorned in, as if there was a mandate from CBS brass to include women into the show and make it less a men's club. Whatever the reason it just didn't work. It had it's moments especially when Censorship Lady started lowering her guard and started tarting it up. Then she was gone.

I always thought Censorship Lady (whose name I now remember was Beth) might have started from Craig himself, trying to figure out how to bring in some female comedy, given how much he's joked about 'middle aged white guy late night douches' and such, but it just didn't quite click and then just degenerated into hot lady dancing bits. Then all the complaining he'd do to her about censoring eventually just went to Michael, and felt more organic.

Steve Vader
Apr 29, 2005

Everyone's Playing!

Did Drew make any mention of Craig at the top of the show? Was there even a cold open?

Steve Vader
Apr 29, 2005

Everyone's Playing!

I want to be on the No Dice List.

Also, I just saw a "tonight on the Late Late Show" ad plugging Jim Gaffigan, but they still had Craig's name on the logo.

Steve Vader fucked around with this message at 06:15 on Jan 20, 2015

Steve Vader
Apr 29, 2005

Everyone's Playing!

A cool, cancer-stricken kid in my extended family has launched a campaign to try and meet Jimmy Fallon.

I feel like I should be able to help make this happen.

Steve Vader
Apr 29, 2005

Everyone's Playing!

Man, Dave's going back to not giving a poo poo about his hair, and he looks like a hosed up old science teacher or something now.

Steve Vader
Apr 29, 2005

Everyone's Playing!

We have not. I thank you for bringing them to our attention. It is a nice little CraigyFix.

Steve Vader
Apr 29, 2005

Everyone's Playing!

I really want Letterman to have something to say about his home state of Indiana legalizing discrimination.

Steve Vader
Apr 29, 2005

Everyone's Playing!

Yeah, it seems weird, but I'd guess Colbert has a lot more money to offer, and also gets to offer New York. It seems weird to poach such an iconic Conan writer, though, for what is essentially the same gig. I hope it doesn't become this thing where Conan is just kind of an also-ran. There was some article somewhere recently that said "Conan O'Brien Is Irrelevant But He Doesn't Have To Be" that made me feel sad, like the classic late-night format he's always revered is the thing that's holding him back now. Seeing Al Franken's earnest praise of Dave as a great broadcaster with great respect for the position he stewarded makes me think about how much Conan wanted to be that, and how he would also have the respect that Dave had for it. I think Colbert will, too, but something just feels off about this weird smaller permutation of Conan's lifelong dream.

Steve Vader
Apr 29, 2005

Everyone's Playing!

Does Stack have some history with Colbert, or am I just concocting memories?

Steve Vader
Apr 29, 2005

Everyone's Playing!

I'm not sure how I feel about Lip Sync Battle. On one hand, yes, it was fun on Fallon and I enjoyed Emma Stone. But breaking it out into its own show does nothing but remind me of when it was a horrible craze in the late 80s and that "Puttin' On The Hits" show, which was essentially Star Search for lip-synchers, and since Star Search is a horribly outdated reference, it was just a competition show. I suppose celebrities and irony help mitigate that, but still.

Steve Vader
Apr 29, 2005

Everyone's Playing!

I'm sure it's probably Early Letterman-era where Dave was a snarky young drunk taking the piss out of people to their faces and being the underground voice of the new generation of comedy by undercutting the self-importance of celebrities and what-not.

Either that, or The Eric Andre Show.

The nice-nice party-game era of Fallon/Corden doesn't sit well with people who actually say out loud that they want to be edgy.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Steve Vader
Apr 29, 2005

Everyone's Playing!

Did they redo Seth Meyers' set? It looks different and not as ugly and stupid.

Also, I've decided I really don't like hearing Corden's voice.