Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

SunshineDanceParty
Feb 7, 2006

One Road. Two Friends. One Ass.
I wonder how many times Fred Armisen will do a weird awkward smile to the camera in the first month.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SunshineDanceParty
Feb 7, 2006

I bet Russel Wilson always has some chapstick in his fanny pack.

SunshineDanceParty
Feb 7, 2006

Megazver posted:

You know what would Craig be great at? A podcast. When he wanted to have a more serious conversation with someone, the format was clearly preventing him from doing that but with a podcast, he could have the Stephen Fry episode every single time. Hell, even Conan got himself a channel for long serious conversations with people you couldn't do that with on his show.

Ferguson would be fantastic at it, but I'd be shocked to see it happen. I think the best chance is getting him on Aisha Tyler's podcast, and letting her convince him of the format. So make that happen.

While this isn't shocking I'm still sad to see him go. I've been doing standup recently and one of the deep, deep, fantasies I've had about a future career was doing his show, and telling him how much his autobiography motivated me through my drinking problems. December 2014 is a tight fit to fulfill that.

SunshineDanceParty
Feb 7, 2006

Megazver posted:

Well, he's also friends with Chris Hardwick.

Oh I'm aware but who's cooler? Hardwick and his co hosts or Aisha Tyler? Hardwick has absolutely done an incredible job with Nerdist, but I've never listed to him, and thought he had any persuasive insight.

SunshineDanceParty
Feb 7, 2006

hcreight posted:

Norm getting the Late Late Show and running it into the ground would be a glorious 3 months of television but CBS isn't stupid enough to fall for that.

(Where was he a year ago when Late Night opened up?)

We do need a short run disaster at late night soon. It's been too long. Conan on the Tonight Show fell apart but he survived and moved on. I want something that's burned and forgotten in a few months.

SunshineDanceParty
Feb 7, 2006

wa27 posted:

Is Craig still planning on doing a half hour talk show on UPN or whatever that weird channel was?

Yeah. The game show has been around for a long time and we're just now seeing it.

SunshineDanceParty
Feb 7, 2006

It doesn't seem like a great idea to create more comparisons for a guy no one in the US knows. It'll be interesting to see if they just pick people who obviously wouldn't do it full time, or any of the names that were being thrown around before the announcement.

SunshineDanceParty
Feb 7, 2006

Rashida Jones and the ghost of Michael Clarke Duncan.

SunshineDanceParty
Feb 7, 2006

I'm not usually into that kind of music but that Bang Your Drum song has been stuck in my head for days.

SunshineDanceParty
Feb 7, 2006

spronk posted:

yeah behind John Oliver, Fallon has grown to be my second favorite nightly type of show. I didn't like Fallon at all on SNL and thought he was an absolute terrible choice to replace Leno/Conan/etc but I was completely wrong, he has really grown into the position and its always amazing watching him give 150% every night (maybe he just does a lot of cocaine still I dunno). Every year he seems to "grow" into the job a bit more, its weird thinking in 10-15 years he will basically be Johnny Carson for kids today.

Of course it really does help having The Roots as the coolest loving stage band on the planet and the writers on that show are good, some great funny bits with guests. They do go out of their way to be as inoffensive as possible with nothing controversial really discussed, but I don't see that as a problem for the mainstream nightly show.

Still haven't seen a lot of people comment on how Corden is doing, since he insulted Captain Picard last year I don't really feel like watching him.

The Roots are a huge reason Fallon survived his awkward beginning and grew into what he is today. However that happened, whoever was behind it, did a great job.

SunshineDanceParty
Feb 7, 2006

weekly font posted:

"Would you rather watch the new Entourage movie or be dead forever?"
"Oh put me in the loving ground."

It's amazing how dated Entourage seems after a decade.

SunshineDanceParty
Feb 7, 2006

OldSenileGuy posted:

Craig is coming back!! (kind of)

http://deadline.com/2015/09/craig-ferguson-join-or-die-history-series-1201531899/

This sounds like it'll be amazing.

It has tons of potential, but I hope it doesn't turn into celebrities giving half assed opinions on history, and the historian correcting them or sitting silently. I think Ferguson can navigate that.

SunshineDanceParty
Feb 7, 2006

I just rewatched Craig Ferguson's last show, and man no one's ever going to replace him.

SunshineDanceParty
Feb 7, 2006

I'm kind of interested to see how the podcast plays out. Conan's not really a dude who turns it off.

SunshineDanceParty
Feb 7, 2006

Yeah Mitch hit that note perfectly, and all the comics who tried to imitate him just ended up making him look better.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SunshineDanceParty
Feb 7, 2006

Yeah Craig and Leno had way more in common in their comedy careers than the other hosts at the time.

Just to expand on this they both worked in similar circles in the 80's and have mutual friends. Craig and Letterman respect each other but aren't friends, Kimmel was his thing, and Conan was a part of the Harvard comedy writer circle jerk.

SunshineDanceParty fucked around with this message at 08:50 on Sep 4, 2020