Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

EasyEW
Mar 8, 2006

I've got my father's great big six-shooter with me 'n' if anybody in this woods wants to start somethin' just let 'em--but they DASSN'T.

bobkatt013 posted:

Come on what would you consider to be a good final show?

Things like this?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cGh6ZgPZFhs

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-3AjfobLpws

All things considered, Garth singing "Friends In Low Places" seems like a fitting way to put the Leno era to bed (again).

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

EasyEW
Mar 8, 2006

I've got my father's great big six-shooter with me 'n' if anybody in this woods wants to start somethin' just let 'em--but they DASSN'T.

Josh Lyman posted:

Scientology :ssh:

Seriously, I thought everybody knew getting to clear gave you superpowers.

EasyEW
Mar 8, 2006

slartibartfast posted:

Oh man, old school Letterman. The memories come flooding back.

You say "old school Letterman", all I can say back is "They pelted us with rocks and garbage."

EasyEW
Mar 8, 2006

I watched Dave's 1980 morning show during an elementary school summer vacation (from the beginning, maaaaan). I went back to school at the end of August and Dave was cancelled by October, which tells me that Conan and I were the only ones watching.

EasyEW
Mar 8, 2006

EngineerJoe posted:

Because he retired twice

To be fair, the first time he didn't really go away and the second time he was history's greatest monster.

EasyEW
Mar 8, 2006

That was just about everything I was hoping for. Godspeed to yet another of my imaginary TV friends.

Anyway, tomorrow the 11:35 slot reverts to pre-Dave status for awhile, so see you then for Crimetime After Prime Time! Only without Silk Stalkings, so not even that! :smith:

EasyEW
Mar 8, 2006

Steve Vader posted:

That was very Conany, with a little Maher, but also completely Stephen.

We had something beautiful there. Don't bring Maher into it, please.

EasyEW
Mar 8, 2006

Iowa Snow King posted:

A cable channel called AntennaTV is playing reruns of Carson now.

Yup, seven nights a week, with hour-longs on weeknights, older 90 minute episodes on weekends.

The story I'm hearing is that somebody put a lot of effort into musical clearances (although it looks like they've muted the bump card music, probably because you've got to be able to name that tune to cut a check), so these are going to be as complete as you can manage these days. The only other thing they had to cut tonight was the original show name, because the Carson people don't own the rights to it, and it'd be a hard sell to talk NBC into a deal considering they're up against the first half of Jimmy Fallon.

Between this and the GetTV Monday night blocks (MERV!), this looks like it's going to be a good year for vintage TV fans. Now we really get to find out how well 30+ year old couch talk holds up.

EasyEW
Mar 8, 2006

Robnoxious posted:

After Hello Larry went tits up and Match Game ended McClean had nothing left but to get cancer and die. :(

Hey now, Condo and the Dirty Dancing TV series weren't "nothing". I mean, they might as well have been, but still...

EasyEW
Mar 8, 2006

Echo Chamber posted:

So there's no free way to watch last night's episode of Sam Bee?

The debut episode is on the TBS site behind the ironically named TV Everywhere wall. So that depends on how you define "free".

EasyEW
Mar 8, 2006

The Johnny Carson reruns continue to be very educational. Right now they're running a Valentine's Day 1979 episode, and South Korean comedian Johnny Yune cracked a "You watch TV, under Communism, television watches you" joke years before Yakov Smirnoff broke big. I got curious, and it turns out Yakov almost never told those types of reversal jokes. They were already hack material when Yakov was still learning English. What a country.

If you're watching along at home, Yune wasn't supposed to get twenty minutes at the top of the show, but Charlton Heston was running late. Obviously Carson liked the guy, since the dude came back over 30 times.

EasyEW
Mar 8, 2006

Echo Chamber posted:

In defense of Kanye, Mark Zuckerberg already threw a ton of money at New Jersey politicians to "reform" Newark's public schools and all that money disappeared. Kanye's crazy enough to do something interesting with all that cash.

That org chart is almost as majestic as the label on a bottle of Dr. Bronner's Soap. Where the hell did "emoticon auto-correct" come from?

EasyEW
Mar 8, 2006

Tonight on Johnny Carson on Antenna TV: a legendary 1973 appearance by Uri Geller, who claimed to have supernatural powers. Johnny used to be a stage magician, so (according to one version of the story) he could smell the bullshit in Geller's spoon bending act from miles away, which is why he called in king skeptic James Randi to rule out shenanigans. Randi worked with the show's producer to make sure Geller couldn't doctor the NBC-provided props in what he had figured out was "the usual ways", and the result was...?

(maybe spoiler)
Well, in a perfect world, it would've been "a real education", but that fucker was still bending spoons on The Today Show in 2008, so you tell me. But God bless him, at least Johnny tried.

EasyEW fucked around with this message at 03:42 on Mar 13, 2016

EasyEW
Mar 8, 2006

GreenNight posted:

Is Colbert off for 2 weeks?

It's probably a good time for a vacation, since Stephen just got a new showrunner.

Variety posted:

“CBS This Morning” exec producer Chris Licht has been tapped to serve as showrunner of “The Late Show with Stephen Colbert,” a move to strengthen the production team on CBS’ late-night franchise that has struggled to find its sea legs since Colbert took over the show last September.

Industry insiders had been anticipating that reinforcements were coming to “Late Show” given the show’s uneven performance during the past few months. Colbert has excelled at interviews with intriguing newsmakers and guests that depart from the traditional late-night but other elements of the show have been less resonant.

Licht fills a big void on the show as Colbert had essentially been serving as showrunner as well as host. Licht’s strong track record in turning “CBS This Morning” into a contender in the morning show race made him a natural choice for CBS. Licht and Colbert are said to have hit it off over a long dinner last week.

Although Licht is stepping down from running the best hard-news morning show currently on the air, he's also responsible for unleashing MSNBC's Morning Joe onto the world. You can't blame him for Scarborough's show after 2011, though.

EasyEW
Mar 8, 2006

Robnoxious posted:

CBS This Morning is a borefest but granted it's a million times better than the shitshows that are Today and GMA.

Hard news usually is dull, to be honest. That's why by the time Today hits its fourth hour, it's run by post-menopausal alcoholics.

EasyEW
Mar 8, 2006

DJ Pauls Gimp Arm posted:

Maybe it was just something with my local CBS affiliate, but did it seem like the episode cut off prematurely to anyone else? There was the bit with Sam Waterston, Colbert said " We'll be right back" then the Late Late show started...

The only segment after that was Stephen throwing to Late Late. Just as long as your local doesn't make it a habit, it should be fine.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

EasyEW
Mar 8, 2006

You could go to CNN if you really want a CST countdown, but considering that Don Lemon just threatened to get a nipple piercing on air, maybe you don't really want to.