Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

JazzFlight
Apr 29, 2006

Oooooooooooh!

Mr. Funny Pants posted:

Colbert would not keep the character, the article and common sense say so. It would be a standard late night talk show.
That would fuckin' suuuuuuuuuuuuck.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

JazzFlight
Apr 29, 2006

Oooooooooooh!

Steve Vader posted:

Steve Higgins is awesome. As are Andy Richter, Paul Shaffer and Geoff Peterson.
Higgins is so drat sharp and on the ball with ad-libbed quips that are usually even funnier than Jimmy's jokes that xcore should be ashamed at what he just posted.

JazzFlight
Apr 29, 2006

Oooooooooooh!

Irish Joe posted:

What a weird choice. McHale's isn't even that good on The Soup. He's like a slightly less terrible version of Chris Hardwick.
Yeah, I think he's pretty awkward and a bit jerkish in interviews, so I can't see him being a very likable host of a talk show. He's great on The Soup, though.

JazzFlight
Apr 29, 2006

Oooooooooooh!

Taratang posted:

James Corden isn't just a nobody, he is an unlikeable rear end in a top hat nobody. How the hell did he get this job??

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_ovzciwEqnQ
Ughhhhhhhh.
Yeah, this guy will be a lot of fun...

Edit: Although, if you look into it more, they did make up and it seems like Stewart instigated the fight in the first place. Still, all the clips on YouTube are from exclusively BBC shows. The guy's like a local British personality only.

JazzFlight fucked around with this message at 21:59 on Aug 5, 2014

JazzFlight
Apr 29, 2006

Oooooooooooh!

pwn posted:

Meanwhile, Seth Meyers got an entirely new set, and a new orientation that's similar to Fallon.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JyIe8XeCglc
Oh cool, now it looks like he's in jail.

JazzFlight
Apr 29, 2006

Oooooooooooh!

xbilkis posted:

Reggie Watts is going to be Corden's band leader, the head writer is the co-creator of Tosh.0 and the start date has been pushed back to March 23.
Shiiiiiiiiiiittttttt if this screws with CBB...

JazzFlight
Apr 29, 2006

Oooooooooooh!

Irish Joe posted:

Its not as if they won't both be back on television in like three months or anything.
8 to 9 months in Colbert's case...

JazzFlight
Apr 29, 2006

Oooooooooooh!

More fun to watch than Seth Meyers, that's for sure.

JazzFlight
Apr 29, 2006

Oooooooooooh!

Chand0X posted:

Article on one of Corden's test shows:
http://www.dailymail.co.uk/tvshowbiz/article-2995137/James-Corden-s-dress-rehearsal-Late-Late-fails-impress.html

A couple images from Corden's test shows from that article:

Holy poo poo, I hadn't seen that clip of Letterman ripping Corden a new one when Regis hosted the LLS.
That was awkward.

JazzFlight
Apr 29, 2006

Oooooooooooh!

EnsGDT posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RnF3GJShhWM

Good energy levels, can't wait to watch!
He's... sitting in a swivel office chair?

JazzFlight
Apr 29, 2006

Oooooooooooh!

I never get when people say Jimmy Fallon isn't funny. He's absolutely hysterical when he and Higgins start adlibbing during a bit. That's usually my favorite part of the show, actually, when they take a minute or two out of "Hashtags" or whatever and just start cracking silly jokes/voices at each other. Reminds me a bit of Comedy Bang Bang in that way.
Plus he's a great interviewer because he gives 110% effort at making the guest feel comfortable as if they're just hanging out backstage telling stories.

I can't really stand to watch any of the other late night hosts (besides Colbert, but he's not on yet).

JazzFlight fucked around with this message at 16:52 on Apr 5, 2015

JazzFlight
Apr 29, 2006

Oooooooooooh!

zakharov posted:

The idea of someone being gobsmacked that late-night comedy involves celebrities plugging things is just a bit too much for me.
Yeah, I don't exactly know what a "talk-show" would be about if not celebrities.
Who are we going to interview, nobodies? I'm not even sure what he wanted as a replacement or what he's holding up as "the glory days" or whatever.

JazzFlight
Apr 29, 2006

Oooooooooooh!

Megazver posted:

Yeah, he got in shape. Good for him.
He alllllllmost looks like a completely different person now. I was watching the video thinking someone else put on his beard and haircut as a disguise.

JazzFlight
Apr 29, 2006

Oooooooooooh!

Jack's Flow posted:

Conan has stopped hitting him all the time too.
Uh, maybe, but did you watch the latest video? He was still choking him out like half the time.

JazzFlight
Apr 29, 2006

Oooooooooooh!

pwn posted:

That was stunningly unfunny.

It actually made me realize, I had known it before when I watched the Colbert Report, but I think I'd pushed it to the back of my mind in anticipation of the new gig, but I really find his non-political stuff unfunny. I mean the non-political stuff on TCR. Also I guess that crap is his logo. Looks like someone threw it together in 5 minutes.

At least I don't have to feel bad about not getting CBS over the air, anymore.
(Imagine I just posted the opposite of what you just posted.)

JazzFlight
Apr 29, 2006

Oooooooooooh!

Toxxupation posted:

Like I can't loving wait to see this weeks Paul Rudd interview on Conan because I'm really excited for how he's going to bring up the dumb loving Mac n' me clip like he always does because every single time it's hilarious

That's what I'm talking about, good interviews do stuff like that
Rudd did a variation of that on Fallon on Monday where he and Jimmy introduced the clip in an odd way and it turned out the clip was footage of David Letterman introducing an Ant-Man clip with all the banter they just said. No M&M clip, though, that's saved for Conan.

JazzFlight
Apr 29, 2006

Oooooooooooh!

Steve Vader posted:

Kevin Hart is one of the most popular comedians working today. He sells out Madison Square Garden.

Status in your eyes is not the same as actual status. I'm not all that big a fan of his comedy, but I recognize the man is a star.
I never really liked his comedy and after I saw this clip, I knew for sure he really wasn't my kind of comedian:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ggAjqk2Bc3M

JazzFlight
Apr 29, 2006

Oooooooooooh!

Lumberjack Bonanza posted:

I don't know but I find it utterly loathsome.
Yeah, something like this would seem goofy and natural on Jimmy Fallon since NBC does silly sponsored games/stuff with him all the time.

On Colbert, it feels forced and a bit slimy.

This kind of applies to his whole new show, but... I'm not that much of a fan, sadly. I loved the Colbert Report, and the late night show just feels like it spreads him too thin and adds too much filler. I wish his band was better, too. He needs someone to bounce off of, like Fallon has with Higgins and The Roots.

EDIT: Also, last night he had a pretty good take on the gun debate, but then seemed to have to throw in a "but I might be wrong, maybe everyone should have guns and be trained" opinion at the end that came out of nowhere. I think CBS leans on him to be apolitical, which is a shame.

JazzFlight fucked around with this message at 18:57 on Dec 8, 2015

JazzFlight
Apr 29, 2006

Oooooooooooh!

Yeah, as a big fan of The Colbert Report and the Stewart Daily Show, I've pretty much given up on both now (Colbert Talk & Noah TDS) after trying them out for a few months.

The spark is gone from both and I've since found more entertaining and informative replacements...

It's a real shame and I still wish Colbert the best because he's such a great guy and sharp as a tack.

JazzFlight
Apr 29, 2006

Oooooooooooh!

Up until the height of election season in 2016 (maybe around August/September), I enjoyed Jimmy Fallon. The show was goofy, fun, and you could tell that he legitimately enjoyed talking to guests. The improv between him and Steve Higgins (his announcer/writer) was always my favorite part of the show. Also, the Roots are still the best band on Late Night.

I say "up until" because I can no longer enjoy The Tonight Show. It feels like it's a window into the alternate reality where Clinton won and Trump didn't even make it past the primaries. Fallon wants to stay pretty much completely out of politics and it feels pathetic and cowardly in an age now where we have a legitimate villain/Nazi in the White House. I feel like grabbing his face and screaming "DON'T YOU KNOW WHAT'S GOING ON IN THE WORLD RIGHT NOW?!" any time I flip over to the show.

JazzFlight
Apr 29, 2006

Oooooooooooh!

IRQ posted:

So he's the anti-Colbert. I wish John Baptiste and Stay Human would get shot into the sun, and he sucked UNTIL Trump won the election.
Baptiste is so drat annoying during the monologue, I swear.

{Colbert says joke}
{Loud, hyena-like cackle from off-screen}
"Oh no he didn't!"

{Colbert says next joke}
"Ha haaaaaa, (repeats last few words of joke)!"

JazzFlight
Apr 29, 2006

Oooooooooooh!

Conan's entire NBC Late Night archive?!
Holy poo poo, that's my bread and butter. I wonder if they really mean every single episode, like you can just pick a date and see the whole show.

JazzFlight
Apr 29, 2006

Oooooooooooh!

Duzzy Funlop posted:

Welp, went into the comments as well.

It says something about the quality of a comment section when the least offensive comment is "Cleavage is like the sun: Look, but don't stare."

:cripes:
To be fair, that line is part of a funny scene from Seinfeld when George gets in trouble with the president of NBC.

JazzFlight
Apr 29, 2006

Oooooooooooh!

Sir Lemming posted:

Yeah definitely. They're both very "dry" and conceptually similar, but Wright is way more deadpan, to put it mildly.
I would add another comedian who could pull off these absurdist one-liner jokes is Demetri Martin.

JazzFlight
Apr 29, 2006

Oooooooooooh!

Djarum posted:

With Fallon I don’t have much of a opinion of him one way or another. He tries to have a show through the lens of a 90s teenager which at times is entertaining, but I don’t think it works in Late Night.
For me, Fallon was the ultimate Obama-era late night host.
Everything's "going great," everyone's politically asleep, it's just one big privileged party. I enjoyed it and tuned in almost every night.

Post-2015/2016, I almost couldn't stand watching him. I don't really have anything against Fallon himself, it's just that his show wasn't suited for the Trump era at all. I mean, it's no wonder everyone jumped ship to Colbert, if only for the monologues.

As for the past few years, I just haven't bothered watching any late night.

JazzFlight
Apr 29, 2006

Oooooooooooh!

tarlibone posted:

Jon Stewart is on Colbert to stump for his new show.

Is anyone else as nervous for him as I am? We all know how this went last time.
Apparently a new clip shows that he doesn't realize that fish are considered animals.
I think Jon Stewart is a bit past his prime.

JazzFlight
Apr 29, 2006

Oooooooooooh!

tarlibone posted:

Yep.

But also, there is a FISH != MEAT thing that exists in our culture, probably due in no small part to the Roman Catholic church.
I guess it could have been worse, he could have called the moon a star:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aQKgpm1SJmQ

JazzFlight
Apr 29, 2006

Oooooooooooh!

Exactly, right? I started off enjoying her show at the beginning, but once she did a few segments about how bad Bernie Bros were in the lead up to the 2016 election, I felt something was off.
I never really resumed watching during the ensuing Trump years.

EL BROMANCE posted:

In a world where we have Cody Showdy doing Some More News on YouTube, we don't really need anyone else.
That show is an absolute masterstroke. I can't believe how well he delivers long stretches of funny and insightful takes (and you can tell that he actually believes his rants, unlike the hosts of some other shows).

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

JazzFlight
Apr 29, 2006

Oooooooooooh!

I've watched most of the CW Arrowverse shows (tapped out at their big Crisis crossover event before COVID) and those definitely did not need to be like 22 eps a season.
There were so many times the heroes allllllmost caught the villain before he wriggled his way out of custody in episode 12, then 17, etc...
It just dragged so much. Might have worked better if they did it like 24 used to, where they'd have a false mini-villain driving the first half season, then reveal the true threat for the back end.