Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Nostalgia4Butts
Jun 1, 2006

WHERE MY HOSE DRINKERS AT

Fenris13 posted:

May 20th is also the last day of may sweeps. I am not sure how much of the date choice is symbolic and how much is financial, but it is a date that makes some sense as both.

Carson's last show was May 22nd, 1992. Not that it means anything.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nostalgia4Butts
Jun 1, 2006

Ive spent the past week watching a shitload of letterman stuff on youtube. I was curious though- was letterman on the howard stern show at all after the 90s? I've looked a ton and didn't find anything.

Nostalgia4Butts
Jun 1, 2006

Steve Vader posted:

I love this guy and I will miss him when he's gone.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZVD-X8pxyd0

dave is literally the best

Nostalgia4Butts
Jun 1, 2006

When GE bought NBC Dave tried to bring the executives a Fruit Basket.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sOEBgSBfko0

Don't forget the McDonalds remote as well

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8tEfMxj4syw

Nostalgia4Butts
Jun 1, 2006

my parents are insane letterman fans and would tape it every night, then show me and my sisters the remotes the next day while laughing so hard they cried

i also grew up with a healthy stack of the Top Ten list books sitting on the toilet tank. when i was real young i wondered who Sununu was and why Dave was so mean to him

basically i had rad parents and it sucks that Dave is no longer going to be on TV.

Robnoxious posted:

He literally did Howard's show once. It was one of Howard's biggest turn offs about Dave. Howard would always do Dave's show when they needed someone in a pinch but Dave never reciprocated despite claiming to be an avid listener. You've likely heard all of Howard's stories about doing Letterman but the one that always sticks out for me was after the cameras were off Dave wouldn't say a word to Howard (or anyone for that matter). Dave just shuts down making the whole thing awkward after the filming is done.

Yeah, I saw Rosie O'Donnell talk about it on Stern. It could've been more awkward though.

quote:

Once, when Terri Garr was a guest on Late Night with David Letterman, she tried to make small talk with her host during a commercial break. The World’s Most Dangerous Band was playing too loudly to allow for conversation, but Garr managed to ask Dave how he was doing.

Rather than attempt to shout over the music, Dave scribbled a note on a piece of paper and pushed it across the desk to her.

“I hate myself,” it read.

Garr assured Dave that that was silly, that he was a very talented man and a famous celebrity.

Dave took the note back from her and scribbled some more before giving it back.

“I hate myself,” it read.

Nostalgia4Butts
Jun 1, 2006

That's the one I remember the most, as well as this one

Nostalgia4Butts
Jun 1, 2006

pwn posted:

Ideal for
  • Hobbyists!
  • Collectors!
  • People who like things that are sort of beige-colored!

we are now best friends

Nostalgia4Butts
Jun 1, 2006

Steve Vader posted:

My mom had those, too. For some reason I always remember that one of the Top Ten Least Useful Superpowers was "Really Bendy Thumb."

also the ability to shake out exactly two aspirin from the bottle

edit: god drat this is fantastic. "The mudslides are putting out the fires!" is such a good goddamn line
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5zWDmoE483I

Nostalgia4Butts fucked around with this message at 08:33 on May 12, 2015

Nostalgia4Butts
Jun 1, 2006

pwn posted:

Just watched last night's Letterman, holy poo poo. Good idea to have the two biggest assholes in showbiz on the same night. Rickles couldn't even do the walk-on on the air though. :(

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SVYdec_sWsk

I forget which one, but Seinfeld was talking about Rickles on Comedians in Cars with Coffee said it best when he said they'll never be another one like him.

Nostalgia4Butts
Jun 1, 2006

Mister Kingdom posted:

They should have been on separate nights.

It's possible that Rickles wasn't up to handle a segment by himself, the dude is 89 and couldn't walk on stage.

Nostalgia4Butts
Jun 1, 2006

Mister Kingdom posted:

They could have at least sent Howard away and let Rickles talk for himself.

it seemed like Rickles really wanted to talk to stern, maybe he asked him to stay on. Stern said it was the best gift to sit next to him at the end there.

it was fun seeing the three of them talking over one another, then coming back from the break. Hearing Rickles say "Hurry Up!" during the interview killed me.

edit: posting more dave because hells yeah more dave

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=L_zh3DbEIwQ

Nostalgia4Butts
Jun 1, 2006

Nice. She going on after Conan?

Nostalgia4Butts
Jun 1, 2006

I'm glad im not alone in my dislike of Fallon

Nostalgia4Butts
Jun 1, 2006

pwn posted:

Stern talked about his last appearance on Dave on his show Tuesday morning. He says that the producers lied to him and Rickles at the end, apparently to give Dave a couple minutes to beat it out of the theatre.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RrLJ5bb16LA

thanks for posting this! I was hoping to hear what was going on with him staying on for Rickles.

edit: post more dave

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UurY9OS_HBE

Nostalgia4Butts fucked around with this message at 02:24 on May 15, 2015

Nostalgia4Butts
Jun 1, 2006

What's the over/under on Leno showing up during the last Late Show.

Nostalgia4Butts
Jun 1, 2006

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sLQwp-kTXEg

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZQF5JF06NYM

i just love how these both work together

Nostalgia4Butts
Jun 1, 2006

Timby posted:

I'm not surprised by that last part. CBS was so eager to get Letterman back in the early '90s that they gave Worldwide Pants ownership of The Late Show and later The Late Late Show, and over time they got less and less happy with that arrangement to the point that the final Letterman / Ferguson contract called for CBS to take over co-production of those shows. The new incarnations with Corden and Colbert are owned wholly by CBS.

A big part of that was that NBC had the right to match any deal that any other network put to Dave. So CBS made him an insane deal that NBC would never dream of matching- including a $50 million payout if he did not have a show that aired on 11:35 PM EST, ownership of the show etc. They didn't put forth the most money in their offer- that was Fox- but they had to make it an insane contract so that NBC wouldn't take the deal.

Nostalgia4Butts
Jun 1, 2006

Dave's responses to that whole situation was god drat perfect

Nostalgia4Butts
Jun 1, 2006

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uCRri4LpTRU

the fact that Letterman still had a show on CBS and was willing to stir up the pot is proof that there is a god and he loves us

Nostalgia4Butts
Jun 1, 2006

Nostalgia4Butts
Jun 1, 2006

realtalk

gently caress jay leno forever

Nostalgia4Butts
Jun 1, 2006

DivisionPost posted:

Leno got the ratings. Dave got the legacy.

i have no clue how leno got those ratings

i can't name a single person in my life- friend, family, coworker, etc- that ever spoke of leno outside of the nbc feud between him and dave/conan

was he big on the west coast or something? I just can't understand it at all

Nostalgia4Butts
Jun 1, 2006

weekly font posted:

NBC had way better lead-ins in the 90s.

yeah, that's what i'm going to chalk it up to.

Nostalgia4Butts
Jun 1, 2006

JohnSherman posted:

Jesus, when did he have that kid?

Harry's like 10 or 11 now iirc

Nostalgia4Butts
Jun 1, 2006

this is just weird. my mother would talk about dave and paul like they were family friends, and it's all over now

Nostalgia4Butts
Jun 1, 2006

Conan is now the old man of late night.

how loving weird is that.

Nostalgia4Butts
Jun 1, 2006

DivisionPost posted:

FWIW, Conan had one of his best interviews in a while with Patton Oswalt just shooting the poo poo about Dave. You take him off script and get him really engaged and vulnerable, and he's still got the stuff.

Conan's biggest strength is ad-libbing. Dude was fantastic on Stern back in February, even when Howard brought up the Leno thing again.

Nostalgia4Butts
Jun 1, 2006

say no to bats posted:

Conan still has the best bits of the other hosts out there now though. He is the next best thing to Dave now that Dave has retired.

Yep. Conan is continuing the Dave tradition more than anyone else by a long shot. The past couple years he seems to be stepping back towards that sort of comedy again, which is awesome to see.

It's weird seeing Kimmell talk so emotionally about Dave and show the pictures of him and his teens with the late night cake and license plate, and then do a show that's so mainstream compared to him.

Nostalgia4Butts
Jun 1, 2006

Finally watching the show now (I work nights, so I had recorded it)

It's pretty awesome that he spoke about Colbert on his last episode.

Nostalgia4Butts
Jun 1, 2006

Just finished watching.

What a wonderful, wonderful way to end the show. Foo Fighters were fantastic, the Top Ten was done great, he set the stage for Colbert, and it wasn't too sappy.

Also insanely happy that Leno didn't come on.

Nostalgia4Butts
Jun 1, 2006

Steve Vader posted:

Also, seconding the motion for NBC to get off its rear end and make a Tonight/Late Night archive site of every drat episode of all of it. I want to watch Steve Allen Tonight Shows, even.

i would watch all of the tom snyder

Diabolik900 posted:

A coworker told me yesterday that he doesn't find Letterman or Conan funny, and he can't believe they took Leno off the air. I knew these people existed, but I don't think I'd ever encountered one of them before.

ps i hate your coworker

Nostalgia4Butts
Jun 1, 2006

also hey they posted the Foo Fighters performance

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yrVjOUIoo6Q

Nostalgia4Butts
Jun 1, 2006

EugeneJ posted:

Colbert on CBS will likely suck unless he creates a new persona.

He's smart enough to pull it off, but who knows how long it'll take.

Nostalgia4Butts
Jun 1, 2006

Did Stern talk about the Letterman finale at all today?

Nostalgia4Butts
Jun 1, 2006

Still Fluxing posted:

Is he expected to be another viral hit-maker. or are they looking for something different with him?

He's already put out a ton of content through Comedy Central, so it wouldn't be that big of a stretch for him.

Nostalgia4Butts
Jun 1, 2006

Jerusalem posted:

Was trawling through old Letterman bits and found this wonderful Conan O'Brien/Joan Collins interview, it's glorious.

it's really cool of dave to pop on like that. I'd really love to see if I could find his first appearance on Conan's show, but i cant find it on youtube.

pwn posted:

* I know there's three people named Jimmy/James hosting shows, but I don't consider Kimmel in the same way as the others in this regard. While I wouldn't call what he does intelligent, it's sure as hell nothing like the GAMES GAMES VIRAL nature of Fallon/Cordon Bleu.

My main issue with Kimmel is that he shows everyone what a fan of Letterman he was growing up but doesn't push his show in the way that Letterman and Conan have. Also the time that Letterman came onto his show was so incredibly awkward, even for Dave.

I still laugh at his stuff way more than Fallon though.

Nostalgia4Butts fucked around with this message at 01:30 on May 27, 2015

Nostalgia4Butts
Jun 1, 2006

Found this

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=S1Y8egU_McA

Nostalgia4Butts
Jun 1, 2006

Hey pwn, since you seem to be the biggest Dave fan here, ever see this issue of Avengers?

quote:

Hawkeye arrives at Avengers Mansion with his new bride, Mockingbird. Even as the couple accustom themselves to the Vision's new hologram form, Wonder Man calls to ask if the team will aid his acting career by appearing with him on the David Letterman Show. With the regular members on a mission, the Vision recruits several former members, and soon Wonder Man, Hawkeye, and Mockingbird are joined by the Black Panther, The Beast, and the Black Widow. Fabian Stankowicz, the Avengers' bumbling antagonist, invades the TV studio in disguise and installs various of his inventions, which attack the heroes on stage, while Stankowicz brazenly takes the guest seat and explains his devices. When Letterman produces a giant doorknob and knocks him momentarily senseless, then deactivates his power source, the Avengers make short work of Fabian's creations. To Wonder Man's dismay, however, the show's telecast is ultimately pre-empted by an emergency news bulletin.

Nostalgia4Butts
Jun 1, 2006

pwn please never stop posting letterman stuff

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nostalgia4Butts
Jun 1, 2006

http://teamcoco.com/video/conan-comic-con-mad-max?playlist=x%3BeyJ0eXBlIjoiZXRhZyIsImlkIjo4OTAzMX0

Conan's intro to his Comic-Con show is goddamn incredible