Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us $3,400 per month for bandwidth bills alone, and since we don't believe in shoving popup ads to our registered users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006
TUBGIRL ENTHUSIAST

Irish Joe posted:

Man, if this were 2009 I would be pumped!

In 2009 you would have been pumped that Jimmy Fallon is hosting The Tonight Show?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006
TUBGIRL ENTHUSIAST

Still finding it hard to believe that they fan that Nick spoof in the first week of a new show. It's like they walked to the SNL studio and asked them for the absolute worst sketch anyone has ever devised, preferably as long as possible. Most of the rest of the week was pretty good - the Brian Williams thing was a really, really good example of those cut ups. Incredible well done, and awesome when the other hosts kicked in.

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006
TUBGIRL ENTHUSIAST

There's so much going on in late night right now, I wish someone would knock up a super cut of the bits worth watching from Fallon, Kimmel, Conan, Craig, Myers and Letterman each night. I never know what to actually watch, unless I see a clip going huge on Facebook or something.

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006
TUBGIRL ENTHUSIAST

I don't even know if Cordon has ever done a talk show over here in the UK, just some crappy looking sports quiz on cable. It's an absolutely baffling decision, and even though I don't dislike the guy I just can't see how this will work at all.

Aisha would've been amazing.

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006
TUBGIRL ENTHUSIAST

Irish Joe posted:

I'd love to revisit that quote in five years just to laugh about how wrong it was. Colbert's not going to be the next great anything.

I'm really looking forward to seeing what he'll do. We went to a taping of Colbert Report last year, went through all the same things any other audience would until Stephen came out casually dressed and told us that the taping wasn't going ahead as the episode was a taped interview with Bill Clinton on Saturday. But they still went through all the rigmarole for us (which was cool) and we watched the episode with Stephen. As an apology, he said rather than doing a few minutes of Q&A we'd do a bunch during each ad break instead. As much as I love Colbert the character, Colbert the person is just on another level and the audience were hanging on his every word. Maybe his style will clash with what the brass want, but it'll be at the very least interesting.

----

With regards to Craig, is there any list anywhere of particularly excellent episodes? I'd like to put a little collection together just out of guilt for not having time to watch late night at all really this year (I've got the last week ready to watch at least), and there's bound to be some great times over the last 5 or 6 years that are easy enough to dig up. I particularly remember the WIlford Brimley episode being superb (11/23/11 with Ty Burrell as lead guest) as well as the Stephen Fry interview that had no audience. I'm sure there's *lots* of great pinpointed moments of the show. (I grabbed that 9 hour best of to watch, but Craig works best as an episode in it's whole I find rather than clips).

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006
TUBGIRL ENTHUSIAST

Fenris13 posted:

I could never find the full episode of the anniversary or 1000th episode that was all puppets, is that available online anywhere? That is one of like less than 10 episodes of the show that I missed.

Do you know the dates off hand?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006
TUBGIRL ENTHUSIAST

It's hard to be anything other than delighted for Stephen. I had the pleasure of going to Colbert Report a few years ago, and rather than cancelling our day because it was the pretaped episode with Bill Clinton, they still had us do all the crowd warm up stuff, before a casually dressed Colbert came out to watch the episode with us. As a 'sorry' he did about 4 times the amount of Q&A with the crowd, and I'm sure anyone else whose been live will tell you - it's probably better than watching the show itself. (Not that I'd know!).

He comes across as the most genuine guy ever, naturally hilarious and you hang off every word he has to say. My friend didn't know who he was before we went, and we don't always share the same TV taste, but he loved it too. It's a shame that the real Stephen isn't on TV too often, even now he's still partly in character and I'm sure the other late night hosts are the same. I hope he remains host for many years to come, and for future generations to look up to him like others looked up to Dave and his predecessors.