Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

DivisionPost
Jun 28, 2006

Nobody likes you.
Everybody hates you.
You're gonna lose.

Smile, you fuck.
"For now..." :supaburn:

I loved Jimmy's old theme but I dig what they did with the new one.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DivisionPost
Jun 28, 2006

Nobody likes you.
Everybody hates you.
You're gonna lose.

Smile, you fuck.
Spike Lee directed that opening?

I can see it. Nice!

DivisionPost
Jun 28, 2006

Nobody likes you.
Everybody hates you.
You're gonna lose.

Smile, you fuck.
This bit is GENIUS.

DivisionPost
Jun 28, 2006

Nobody likes you.
Everybody hates you.
You're gonna lose.

Smile, you fuck.
WELCOME

TO 11:30

BITCH

DivisionPost
Jun 28, 2006

Nobody likes you.
Everybody hates you.
You're gonna lose.

Smile, you fuck.

BodyMassageMachine posted:

Petition to change the thread title to: Late Night Talk Show Thread '14 - "Welcome to 11:30, bitch!"

Seconding the request.

DivisionPost
Jun 28, 2006

Nobody likes you.
Everybody hates you.
You're gonna lose.

Smile, you fuck.
Oh, great bit to do with Will.

DivisionPost
Jun 28, 2006

Nobody likes you.
Everybody hates you.
You're gonna lose.

Smile, you fuck.

SHUPS 4 DETH posted:

Fun fact: I have met exactly one person in my entire life who would identify as a fan of U2.

Well, now you can say you've met two.

I'm not a "YEAH IT'S THE BEST BAND EVER" type but I've got a lot of their songs on my iPhone (three favorites off the top of my head: "Angel of Harlem," "Bad," "One Tree Hill"), and for some reason I've always been able to shrug off Bono's brand of douchebaggery.

DivisionPost
Jun 28, 2006

Nobody likes you.
Everybody hates you.
You're gonna lose.

Smile, you fuck.

SHUPS 4 DETH posted:

[Hanks] named Team Coco...

Technically not true. "Coco" first came from the Twitter Tracker bit that Conan did on his Tonight Show. I can't remember if it was Robert Smigel that provided the roided-out voice for it, but during the inaugural bit, he said "[SOMETHING] A NO-NO FOR COCO?" and the crowd lost it.

But yes, Tom Hanks was the first guest after that, and if he hadn't run with the Coco schtick as throughly as he did, I don't think it would have stuck. So really I'm just picking nits.

DivisionPost
Jun 28, 2006

Nobody likes you.
Everybody hates you.
You're gonna lose.

Smile, you fuck.
"Ligety split."

:drat:

DivisionPost
Jun 28, 2006

Nobody likes you.
Everybody hates you.
You're gonna lose.

Smile, you fuck.

Crusty Nutsack posted:

Jussssstt not nearly as funny.

He's already doing better than Fallon on his first Late Night, but I suspect he's gonna need a few months to settle in anyway.

DivisionPost
Jun 28, 2006

Nobody likes you.
Everybody hates you.
You're gonna lose.

Smile, you fuck.

Deadpool posted:

Yeah. Way better than Fallon's first one.

Admittedly a low bar; that first episode might as well have been called Late Night With Jimmy Fallon's Flop Sweat. Still, I think he's keeping steady and can grow.

quote:

That Venn Diagram skit felt like an old Conan style sketch.

Yeah, he's actually got Conan's sense of humor, but his delivery's as dry as the Sahara. He's very even-toned and direct where Conan would really lean into it.

DivisionPost
Jun 28, 2006

Nobody likes you.
Everybody hates you.
You're gonna lose.

Smile, you fuck.
Hey, wow, Kenan Thompson's supposed caricature of Steve Harvey is actually really close to the reality of Steve Harvey.

DivisionPost
Jun 28, 2006

Nobody likes you.
Everybody hates you.
You're gonna lose.

Smile, you fuck.

Robnoxious posted:

Conan transitioned under the watchful eye of Jeff Zucker, a proven idiot. Conan really didn't have a chance against the old to new guard stigmata that came along with it. Once that failed ship was blown the gently caress up a bit of relaxation occurred which helped ease Fallon into a smoother changeover. Having Lorne at his back made things much simpler as well.

Now Zucker is screwing up CNN... and the world continues to spin.

It's worth pointing out that (assuming I remember it correctly) Bill Carter's The War For Late Night puts a good chunk of the blame on Dick Ebersol. If you'll permit me to dip into the ol' box of Star Wars analogies, he was the Palpatine to Zucker's Vader, except instead of Zucker having a last-minute change of heart, he just kept doing whatever Ebersol said until Comcast kicked them both out.

DivisionPost
Jun 28, 2006

Nobody likes you.
Everybody hates you.
You're gonna lose.

Smile, you fuck.

Rageaholic Monkey posted:

Seriously. I'm actually watching it right now (had DVRed it earlier) and I'm watching Joan's part and she's loving hilarious. So many people give her poo poo, but man, she can still knock it out of the park way more than most people her age and even people younger than her.

Why exactly was she banned from the show? I'd never heard about that. Did her jokes go too far?

While you wait for a more thorough answer, she used to be a frequent guest of Carson's but she became dead to him after she got her own show.

DivisionPost
Jun 28, 2006

Nobody likes you.
Everybody hates you.
You're gonna lose.

Smile, you fuck.

Yoshifan823 posted:

I don't know who will be in it, but he'll probably take Michael Stipe off of his shelf and dust him off.

Very true. REM did break up last year.

DivisionPost
Jun 28, 2006

Nobody likes you.
Everybody hates you.
You're gonna lose.

Smile, you fuck.
Didn't Kilborn get suspended for two weeks for claiming in a magazine that Lizz Winstead wanted to gently caress him, or something like that?

I thought that was cool in a dickish "Outlaw Country except not in the country" kind of way, which goes to show what assholes 13-year-olds are.

EDIT

Wikipedia posted:

In a 1997 interview with Esquire, Kilborn made jokes regarding Daily Show co-creator and head writer Lizz Winstead, saying, "To be honest, Lizz does find me very attractive. If I wanted her to blow me, she would."[4] Kilborn apologized publicly and pointed out that the remarks were "said in jest," but he was suspended for a week.

DivisionPost fucked around with this message at 04:58 on Apr 13, 2014

DivisionPost
Jun 28, 2006

Nobody likes you.
Everybody hates you.
You're gonna lose.

Smile, you fuck.
What the gently caress is this I'm hearing about Norm MacDonald getting The Late Late Show? Is this just a thing he started on Twitter, or is there some article that says he's in the running?

DivisionPost
Jun 28, 2006

Nobody likes you.
Everybody hates you.
You're gonna lose.

Smile, you fuck.

wa27 posted:

As much as I would love it...

You, me, and enough people to retweet for eight hours and counting! I agree, there's no way they've even briefly considered him, but it was a hell of a shock when I opened up my timeline today.

DivisionPost
Jun 28, 2006

Nobody likes you.
Everybody hates you.
You're gonna lose.

Smile, you fuck.

counterfeitsaint posted:

On an unrelated note, no garbage will be picked up in southern California today, as every available truck is currently filled with money and en route to Will Smith's house.

Nah, that money's on its way to Michael Bay's house (I hope). Will Smith only needs this a little less than Martin Lawrence does.

DivisionPost
Jun 28, 2006

Nobody likes you.
Everybody hates you.
You're gonna lose.

Smile, you fuck.

I understand Corden isn't exactly one of the good guys, but this article reads like a straight-up hatchet job; a Nelson Muntz laugh disguised as a gossip article. Conan's first couple of years were rough. Jimmy Fallon's first run might as well have been "Late Night With Jimmy's Flopsweat." I've got no doubt that Corden's going to suck out of the gate, but that in no way precludes a great show down the line. This is just mean and needlessly hurtful.

DivisionPost
Jun 28, 2006

Nobody likes you.
Everybody hates you.
You're gonna lose.

Smile, you fuck.

Deadpool posted:

Well apparently the Lip Sync Battle from Fallon's Tonight Show has spun off into its own show now. The first episode featured Jimmy and The Rock. I haven't seen it but apparently The Rock did Staying Alive by the Bee Gees so my question is how are they even going to have another episode when it will no doubt be impossible to top that?

The Rock may be the greatest living man on the planet.

It's available on demand. I'm in the middle of it now, and while I have no doubt Rock doing Bee Gees in full Saturday Night Fever dress will be epic, it'll be hard to top his first song. Kind of an obvious choice, I grant, but he killed it all the same.

DivisionPost
Jun 28, 2006

Nobody likes you.
Everybody hates you.
You're gonna lose.

Smile, you fuck.
Okay, one last bit of Lip Sync Battle info before I or somebody else starts a depressingly neglected thread. Next Thursday is Anne Hathaway vs. Emily Blunt.

Just so you know.

DivisionPost
Jun 28, 2006

Nobody likes you.
Everybody hates you.
You're gonna lose.

Smile, you fuck.

Steve Vader posted:

I'm not sure how I feel about Lip Sync Battle. On one hand, yes, it was fun on Fallon and I enjoyed Emma Stone. But breaking it out into its own show does nothing but remind me of when it was a horrible craze in the late 80s and that "Puttin' On The Hits" show, which was essentially Star Search for lip-synchers, and since Star Search is a horribly outdated reference, it was just a competition show. I suppose celebrities and irony help mitigate that, but still.

Well, it doesn't help that during the commercial breaks there'll be these sponsored segments: "HI I'M A TALKING HEAD AND THERE'S NO BIGGER LIP SYNC BATTLE FAN THAN ME! LET'S LOOK BACK AT SOME poo poo THAT YOU SAW TWO MINUTES AGO!" It also doesn't help that because the production can only afford four songs an episode instead of six, they fill time with pre-taped segments of celebrity contestants "preparing" (talking lighthearted smack about their opponents). At those points it all feels like a little much.

But the stuff on stage is great. LL Cool J's a decent MC, doesn't get in the way. And while Chrissy Tiegen's presence as a "colorful commentator" can feel unnecessary, it paid off in the John Legend / Common episode, where she proceeded to take a mostly-polite poo poo on her boyfriend John Legend's first song. If she can find more moments like that she'll contribute to the somewhat laid-back atmosphere the show's trying to cultivate, instead of feeling like a prop to make the show seem like a bigger deal than it really is.

(Well, I say "laid back," but now I remember the other reason they have the pre-taped segments: the second round incorporates costume changes and props. Gotta admit, though, they work for me.)

DivisionPost fucked around with this message at 18:50 on Apr 3, 2015

DivisionPost
Jun 28, 2006

Nobody likes you.
Everybody hates you.
You're gonna lose.

Smile, you fuck.
Here's a Lip Sync Battle thread for the three of us who are interested. I may have a problem.

http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3711763

DivisionPost
Jun 28, 2006

Nobody likes you.
Everybody hates you.
You're gonna lose.

Smile, you fuck.

None of that is insightful. The identification of symptoms of a problem is not insight, nor should dumping those symptoms be confused for progress. He is Holden Caulfield complaining about phonies; he screams about how lovely comedy is today while offering no real solutions on how to make it better aside from the teenage goth refrain of "burn it all down. All he'd do is take away and give nothing back. Literally.

No, literally. If you go to his Twitter feed (@dubochet) and find something you so much as nod your head at, much less laugh at or want to retweet, come back here and let me know. Honestly, I make no judgment; comedy is different things to different people, so maybe it's me. But for the record, he just discovered The Room a few hours ago, and between his parroting of "Oh hai" he had the brilliant idea is to remake it as "The Vroom" with Vin Diesel in the Tommy Wiseau role. (In fairness, he was probably trying to be ironic, but it didn't come through.)

That's how he fixes his small corner of the world that's still untouched by Big Comedy: Telling Vin Diesel jokes while parroting lines from The Room.

DivisionPost
Jun 28, 2006

Nobody likes you.
Everybody hates you.
You're gonna lose.

Smile, you fuck.

jojoinnit posted:

They should have done that and given Colbert the Late Late Show instead.

Nobody saw Jon Stewart stepping down coming. My guess is that I don't think it was a coincidence that he announced his TDS retirement shortly after Rosewater. Honestly, I don't think hosting interests him anymore: filmmaking does. And based on the reaction to Rosewater, he might not be great at it but he doesn't exactly suck at it either. So it's viable to him.

DivisionPost
Jun 28, 2006

Nobody likes you.
Everybody hates you.
You're gonna lose.

Smile, you fuck.

The REAL Goobusters posted:

Is Fred armisen not there anymore?

Probably taking some time off to shoot Portlandia.

DivisionPost
Jun 28, 2006

Nobody likes you.
Everybody hates you.
You're gonna lose.

Smile, you fuck.
I can see the Foos playing "Everlong" or "My Hero," but the lyrics to "Walk" fit so well that I'm gonna bank on that.

DivisionPost
Jun 28, 2006

Nobody likes you.
Everybody hates you.
You're gonna lose.

Smile, you fuck.
"Thanks for letting me take part in another hugely disappointing series finale." :supaburn:

DivisionPost
Jun 28, 2006

Nobody likes you.
Everybody hates you.
You're gonna lose.

Smile, you fuck.
Leno got the ratings. Dave got the legacy.

DivisionPost
Jun 28, 2006

Nobody likes you.
Everybody hates you.
You're gonna lose.

Smile, you fuck.
I'm sure I heard that the Foo Fighters cancelled their tour just for Dave before, but I totally forgot and that just blew my mind.

Also this montage is gonna kill me.

DivisionPost
Jun 28, 2006

Nobody likes you.
Everybody hates you.
You're gonna lose.

Smile, you fuck.
FWIW, Conan had one of his best interviews in a while with Patton Oswalt just shooting the poo poo about Dave. You take him off script and get him really engaged and vulnerable, and he's still got the stuff.

DivisionPost
Jun 28, 2006

Nobody likes you.
Everybody hates you.
You're gonna lose.

Smile, you fuck.

EngineerJoe posted:

I'm kind of curious when the swattings are going to start...

If I was on Kimmel's staff I would pitch this so loving hard.

DivisionPost
Jun 28, 2006

Nobody likes you.
Everybody hates you.
You're gonna lose.

Smile, you fuck.

fart blood posted:

If this fails, America deserves Donald Trump as president.

DivisionPost
Jun 28, 2006

Nobody likes you.
Everybody hates you.
You're gonna lose.

Smile, you fuck.
That theme song with that title sequence is gonna put a smile on my face every drat time.

DivisionPost
Jun 28, 2006

Nobody likes you.
Everybody hates you.
You're gonna lose.

Smile, you fuck.
This is incredible.

DivisionPost
Jun 28, 2006

Nobody likes you.
Everybody hates you.
You're gonna lose.

Smile, you fuck.
Mercy killing. Good God.

DivisionPost
Jun 28, 2006

Nobody likes you.
Everybody hates you.
You're gonna lose.

Smile, you fuck.
Tim Cook is set for next Tuesday's Colbert. Is it just me, or is he attracting a MUCH different class of guests?

DivisionPost
Jun 28, 2006

Nobody likes you.
Everybody hates you.
You're gonna lose.

Smile, you fuck.
OH. poo poo. (Future taped segment for Conan.)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DivisionPost
Jun 28, 2006

Nobody likes you.
Everybody hates you.
You're gonna lose.

Smile, you fuck.

tarlibone posted:

It was hilarious. He followed it up with the ol' E Pluribus Anus, too.

The best was when he drew the first three lines, and the crowd IMMEDIATELY knew where he was going with it and lost their minds.