Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.
The entire Wizardry 6-8 trilogy is also available on Steam.

I say female faerie mage. Class right now is not important. What's important is that she become a ninja in 7.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.
You asked what Kirijitsu does? It's the critical hit skill of the game. Without it, you can't inflict one. With it, you have a chance to score a critical on every successful hit, and crits in this game inflict instant death.

A mostly blind LP of this game should be an entertaining trainwreck. Wizardry 6 and 7 are pretty drat brutal if you don't figure out how the game expects you to build and play characters.

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.

dijon du jour posted:

The adventure begins...

So are there three different rows in the party? How does the game deal with that? Is it something like

high damage/low defense
average damage/average defense
low damage (except with long range attacks)/high defense?

There's two rows, and it determines who can be hit with what range weapons and who can use what range weapons against the enemy. First three characters can use and get hit by short-range weapons. Beyond that, reach weapons, projectiles, spells, and the guard parry are necessary.

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.

Tylana posted:

MF are gender restrictions, which are rarer, IIRC. But Valkyrie starting eq might include a chainmail bikini or something.

Close! Valkyrie starting kit is a spear, leather helmet, fur halter, chamois skirt, and sandals.

There's actually a lot of very useful female-only equipment in this series. The studded leather bra +2 (I am not joking) is a terrific piece of armor for the point in the game when it appears.

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.

Crazy Dastard posted:

The lack of a pure priest is going to make the early game kind of rough because Bishops don't really come into their own until much higher levels, so healing may be rather limited, but I'm glad you have several martial characters to simplify combat, and as you saw the bard's instruments make for really awesome early-game power since they're not based on spell points. As you'll learn from the manual, the party's configuration does determine who can attack from what positions, so everyone in the back rows will need to equip Extended reach weapons or missile weapons if they want to attack (I believe your Bard and Psionic are simply stuck with bows unless you have the Bard hide in shadows, then he can sneak attack anyone with a melee weapon). Picking all spellcasters or hybrid casters was a good tactic since Wiz 6 seems to have a glitch where a non-magic class that changes professions into a casting class can't regenerate spell points (something I learned the hard way on an early playthrough).

What really concerns me, personally, is the lack of a priest or alchemist for early access to blinding flash, silence, cure lesser condition, cure poison, etc. Conditions and condition removal are powerful tools in Wizardry 6 and 7, and lacking them will be a problem.

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.

crowfeathers posted:

I forgot fairies can't wear any armor. That's... problematic.

Monks can't, either, happily.

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.

azren posted:

Ya know, I almost want to play this, but I just can't get past the "do your own mapping" thing. It would just drive me up the wall. I might just need a pre-filled out map. Maybe add my own points of interest as I went, or something.

For what it's worth, Wizardry 7 plays almost identically to 6 and does have a feature like this. Early in the game you can pick up an in-game map kit that automatically maps as you go. The trick, though, is that the level of detail is dependent on the Mapping skill of the character holding the map kit. With few to no points in it, the map kit won't even show walls.

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.

Crazy Dastard posted:

The GoG edition does have a pdf of the official cluebook which in fact has somewhat detailed, and complete, maps.

The Steam version also has this fyi.

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.

Pyrogenesis posted:

Ah yes. Good old games. Screwing you over randomly without warning with some random event just because. "You were becoming complacent, weren't you", the developers did think.

Not shown: this is quite capable of killing characters. I do have to wonder how many reloads Luisfe isn't showing, considering that entry-level enemies can kill some characters in one hit if you get unlucky...

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.

Crazy Dastard posted:

Don't even get me started on what happens when you fight monsters with Kirijutsu, like Samurai and Ninja clans. Or of course monsters with hold and death spells. Yeah, once the combats get going with status ailments you start seeing the harshest of Wizardry (but also the most fun when you get your own hold and death spells to stomp the bastards).

Oh, I know. I have the entire trilogy. And, of course, there's always the tiny, tiny chance of encountering a tyrannosaurus late in the game that I believe has more HP and does more damage than the final boss.

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.

crowfeathers posted:

Have you played the PS2 wizardry?

Nope. Grew up watching my dad spend hours upon hours playing Bane and Crusaders, then started playing them myself and Wizardry 8, including getting the whole trilogy for 5 bucks on Steam this Christmas. Never had any interest in the other Wizardry games.

Very late in this game, there is a very slight (as in: I only saw it once in four or five playthroughs) chance to encounter a t-rex. I think it's the strongest enemy in the game by a healthy margin.

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.
Those leather boots actually would have been a good buy. They're the best foot armor Sterv will see for a while, and maybe Tinysam as well (I'm at work and can't check). Thieves, bards, and rangers won't see better footwear for quite some time. I can't remember if samurai can wear them as well or if they're limited to buskins for most of the game.

Also, Queequeg's inventory resets every time you exit the room and re-enter. Except for the mystery oil, which unsurprisingly you'll need later.

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.

Luisfe posted:

Yeah I noticed the oil's permanence. That is why TINYSAN has it under the Sword of Striking (which was not sold)

Ah. Somehow missed that.

Not trying to second guess you, just pointing out something you may have missed. Wizardry 6 and, God help you if you intend to proceed, 7 are not the most intuitive games.

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.

DariusLikewise posted:

Not sure if this has been mentioned yet... Does this game scale enemies as you level up? Or could you grind killer vines forever?

So far it seems like there's a set amount of encounters in the game though.

Enemies in this game scale up based on area. You won't see rogue leaders, brigands, or scallywags on the entrance level of the castle, but you will in the basement. You could, if you were so inclined, stay in one area of the game and grind - there are a couple areas that are terrific for grinding in the castle, actually, that the LP hasn't gotten to yet.

There are set encounters, and also random ones. There are set squares on the map guaranteed to trigger an encounter. Sometimes these are preset encounters, other times they're semi-random, picking from a list of options. Most often these are behind doors, so a good rule of thumb is to save before opening any door. There are also random encounters - there's a % chance for an encounter every time you step into a new square, reset, etc.

In every area, there's a set bestiary for the area. Enemies have different chances for the number of ranks they appear in, and the max and min sizes of each rank. Easy mode decreases the min size of enemy ranks by one to a minimum of one and decreases the max size of enemy ranks by one to a minimum of one. Hard mode increases min size by one to a minimum of two and increases max size by one with no cap that I'm aware of.

Incidentally, this is how hard mode's chief gimmick works. Boss monsters are an enemy rank of size min one, max one. So in hard mode, they're min two, max two. Meaning you get to fight two of the boss at once.

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.

Glazius posted:

So with hard mode you also level up faster, meaning the challenge is more from plot-locked gear not being available?

In addition to some bosses being very tough if you don't know what you're doing, yes. This is particularly bad in Wizardry 7, which works the same way and as a distinct dearth of good weapons if you're not importing from 6. You're not really expected to grind much in these games, though. If you're changing classes regularly to turn your party into demigods - which the games more or less expect you to - the difficulty curve is pretty reasonable.

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.

Washout posted:

With all this in mind I switched classes on most of my guys like 4 times and a few more than that, and I still had to save/reload a lot of fights even in the late middle portion of the game when I thought I would be most powerful. So don't think of this as cheating at all! It's practically required!! I think the only way you can do the game without a lot of class changing is with a very carefully crafted party from the beginning.

An addendum to this: Wizardry 6 is not an easy game. The castle doesn't have anything too bad unless you drop into an area you're not strong enough to handle yet (or you get into a certain fight without a high level of blinding flash or a really buff party with cure poison), but it gets a lot harder as you go on. For example, recall the kirijitsu skill that grants a chance to inflict instant death? Enemies start getting chances to crit later in the game, to exactly the same effect. And that's aside from spells that inflict instant death, one of which hits the entire party.

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.

Tylana posted:

Outside exists? Man, I super sucked at this as a kid. I don't think the series mechanic of class swapping is explained in the manual. At least not what it is meant to do? (I.E. get more skill points, and more varied spells). Stat growth is pretty weird too, if the japanese Wizardry on the PS3 is anything to compare to.

Stat growth is completely, utterly random. You might get +1 PER, or you might get +1 to every single stat. I don't think it's possible to get a completely empty level, but it wouldn't surprise me if it is.

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.

TwistedSynapse posted:

I guess going into THIS game blind would be a recipe for getting your rear end beat though.

Needing some pointers is nothing to be ashamed of in this series, and Wizardry 7 even more so than 6. 6 is, all told, fairly light on outright dick moves. It's hard, yes, but a well built party can handle most of it. It's even fair, after a fashion. Status effects like blindness and silence are hugely useful in both your hands and the enemy's.

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.
A few gameplay notes from this update:

That wine bottle? It will be used (not to say useful - it's not) much, MUCH later in the game.

Itching skin and the harmonium inflict the irritated status condition, which reduces an enemy's armor class.

Detect Secrets is useful-ish if you don't know where everything is already, don't have a high Scouting skill, and aren't compulsively searching everywhere. Not terribly useful, but it does light up one of the icons at the top of the screen.

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.

JamieTheD posted:

I'd actually planned to do (at some point) an informative type LP of 6 and 7, but honestly, this is much more entertaining... Although I hope fellow goons will inform you of Dead Man Walking scenarios and where to save for the alternate endings before they happen.

Count me in for having had the same on and off plans for doing an informative LP. Godspeed, Luisfe, you crazy bastard.

I was planning on doing a rundown of the various ending paths when the time to choose comes up, as different endings lead into different starts for 7.

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.
Magic note: Enchanted Blade was the better pick, in my opinion, but Dispel Undead has its uses. It tries to instantly destroy undead and is reasonably effective at it, hitting one monster per power level. You'll be encountering your first undead before too much longer, probably, but they're not a very common enemy type and are concentrated in mainly a few specific parts of the game.

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.

Glazius posted:

What kind of punch did that fat rat have, to be worth so many experience points?

It's a credible first boss of sorts for the game. Depending on how early you stumble across it, it can one-shot weaker characters and take quite a beating itself.

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.

Luisfe posted:

Hits several times, resists sleep, has a SHITLOAD of health points, basically, it is a boss rat.

Who knew a fat rat would be more dangerous than SEVERAL killer rats.

Not shown in the LP: the fat rat can also show up with a full screen of ranks of killer rats. The fat rat is the first of what I'd consider four boss/miniboss encounters encounters in the castle area, and also the first optional one. You don't have to get Snoopcheri if you've played the game before and know the password to Captain Matey.

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.
For those playing along, the belfry is a good early spot to grind bats if you think you need it. They'll spawn every time you swing across the belfry.

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.

Luisfe posted:

It does not work on the belfry! Where the hell can THAT key be? It is not a generic. Or is it? I have no idea.

Nope, it's not generic.

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.

azren posted:

So can bards. I think Sterv might have new armor.

Even if this doesn't happen, I request a drawing or something.

Bras as armor seems to be a D. W. Bradley thing in general - they crop up throughout this entire trilogy of games, and also show up in Wizards & Warriors, another game by the same guy.

Come to think of it, an entire swathe of this game will be not safe for work due to lots of bare titties on display for a certain enemy group.

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.

SatansOnion posted:

We shouldn't judge him, though; finding a bra that provides sturdy support and all-day comfort is almost impossible.

This isn't the last armored bra we'll see in the series, incidentally. D. W. Bradley, the man behind this game, seems to have a thing for battle bras, given how they've cropped up in a couple other games of his in addition to this trilogy.

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.

Kuros posted:

Don't cats normally have 6... you know what, never mind.

One of the art leads for Guild Wars 2 actually talked about this when designing the female version of that game's female race. Early versions were conventional catgirls, but eventually the lady in charge of that particular design gave the other developers a choice: go with no visible boobs, or six. According to her blog post about it, the developers went with the former approach rather than have to make armor for a six-boob model.

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.

Luisfe posted:

OH NO, another one! It was not a boss! I guess this could be used for grinding.

It can indeed. Every time you jump down there, the snake will always appear at the doorway. Excellent grinding spot if you can handle the snake - blinding flash does wonders.

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.

Luisfe posted:

So how bad do the teleporty dungeons get in this.
Because if they are bad I will have to scream.

In this particular game? I can't think of any. In Wizardry 7? :getin:

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.
Specifically, mindread's only purpose is to help you figure out what to say to some NPCs to make stuff happen.

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.

Glazius posted:

Is "Dispel Undead" worth it in terms of mana-to-chance to actually work?

Yes, actually, and it affects one enemy per power level of the spell. The problem with Dispel Undead is that undead aren't the most common enemy type in the game. Where they're common, they're very common, but that happens only in specific parts of the game. Dispel Undead is worth picking up, but it's never my first pick for that level of theology.

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.

Washout posted:

Don't switch to alchemist though, they are terrible.

Really? I always start with one in the party. They have Heal Wounds, Blinding Flash is a terrific early game spell, they learn a lot of condition cure spells, and some of the higher end spells like acid bomb are old standbys for me.

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.
You got lucky on Captain Matey. He usually spawns in significantly tougher backup. If you had blinding flash, that neuters him - and most non-spellcasters - for a while.

The skull dagger is one of the better off-hand weapons you'll see for a while.

The green parrot increases a character's PER by one or two points, but it's a one-use item and the boost does go away when you change professions. I usually save it for when I want a character to hit a class that requires more PER than the character has at that point.

And yes, the steel hook will be useful soon.

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.

Glazius posted:

Is it actually possible to win that drinking contest, or is it just a money sink?

It's possible. I don't know why you would actually do it, as IIRC you don't get any experience or loot for it, but it's there if you have enough stamina and for some reason don't want to fight Matey.

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.
If you don't mind a spoiler about this puzzle, since it involves a mechanic that comes up very, very rarely... You need to use the Merge command on the character screen to solve this puzzle.

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.
Congratulations on beating the first major area of the game!

Hope that mapping program is up to snuff, though. You're going to need it in the next part...

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.

Washout posted:

Nah the next sections are nowhere near as bad as the river.

The river is my favorite part of the game. :colbert:

Watch out for monstrous bats.

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.

Glazius posted:

I like how the plants have different anatomy from the people. Are there parts besides root and tentacle?

Tails and wings will show up on appropriate enemies.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.

X_countryguy posted:

Yeah, that did look like a boss fight. I've lost track of the "plot". Is there one besides "you went into a castle looking for adventure, got trapped, now you gotta adventure your way through"?

There is. Pay attention to the stuff about the king, queen, and the king's mistress. That's one of the two major plot threads of the game, the other being the Cosmic Forge itself.

As for boss fights, there are three encounters in the castle that can be considered boss fights in the sense of unique encounters that are often quite challenging unless you know what you're doing and/or did a lot of grinding: the Fat Rat, Captain Matey, and the Hydra Plant(s).

• Locked thread